The Bulletin
April 17, 2003
Browse The Bulletin archive index

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

FAMILY UPDATE -- Country Daycare
by Donna

We did another walk today, all because of our new acquisition. We are now the proud owners of a new stroller, a Gerry ZOOMER, to be exact! What a wonderful find!

Beaver spotted it in the Ashby Post, night before last. I called right away in the morning and said I'd take it. It's a lightweight, double stroller, with all terrain wheels. Such a vast improvement over our old stroller! That one was hard to even push in a mall, impossible on gravel driveways. This made it extremely miserable or nigh onto impossible, to get around with a crowd of children, always with a couple too heavy, yet too little to walk alone.

Our new Zoomer even pushes nicely through the woods, much to the children's delight, and I might add, mine! It is a marvelous way to get that pesky exercise done, which is so necessary to paring some of the winter weight off the old body. (OK, I admit it, the many years' accumulation.) Keeps these younger ones fit, too, and wears off excess energy, which they generally have in adequate supply!

It struck me today, as we toured around the farm, what a different number of things these children are learning, in a country daycare setting. I remember the years of the city walks, the difference in things I taught them on those walks compared to walks on the farm. Of course there are the animals, plus how we care for them, and then there are all various kinds and pieces of equipment to teach them, etc., etc. Today we even learned how to operate a small posthole digger, including a three year old giving it a try. (He's a big kid!)

I'd guess their favorite for this week, and which they all thought was the funniest, was when we were able to go hiking into the woods. (Remember, that was off bounds with the old stroller.) We encountered and learned about "cow pies!" -- much to their amusement!

The view from the top of the hill in our north cow pasture is so beautiful, even the littler ones thought it was "pretty." Wait until we have leaves on the trees; it's even nicer. Then we will learn to watch for ticks on us, too, though one of my least favorite things about being outdoors. Got to admit, I don't like the mosquitoes and biting flies, either! (Just thankful we don't have poisonous spiders and snakes, or we couldn't be out there with all those little ones!)

I am looking forward to dropping a few pounds this summer, while pushing the Zoomer all over the farm! Like my friend, Barb said, "It's cheaper than a treadmill!" The bonus is, keeps those babies happy at the same time. And, it's hard to beat the fresh air!

Editor's Comments: I am not really sure where this next report should be placed. (It was sent to me by Donna.) Because it is a family update ( though from 50 years ago) I decided to put it right here! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. DMA

The following article arrived at our house this week, in The Grant County Herald. It was in the Way Back When portion and was written by Patty Benson, Grant County Museum Curator. In big, bold letters, it read:

1953: Little David Johnson found
April 8, 1953
50 Years Ago

Little David Johnson, two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Johnson, rural Ashby, became the object of a wide-spread search Wednesday afternoon of last week when his absence was noted by his mother on their farm, 1-1/2 miles east of Ashby, close to the shores of Lake Christina, near a heavily wooded and rugged area.

Mrs. Johnson had been raking on one side of the farm home, David on the other. In an incredibly short period of time David and his little red wagon disappeared from the scene.

Calling, and running in every direction, but always keeping the road in sight, Mrs. Johnson started a frantic search for the little boy, but to no avail. She was alone at the time -- her husband at the gravel pit and the other children had gone to the lake in an easterly direction. When the children returned home and joined the search, and still no David, Mrs. Johnson called the Ashby Volunteer Fire Department.

Her husband returned to find the yard full of cars -- at least 100 people had answered the call to help. The group organized the search and went to work.

Among the searchers was a group of Boy Scouts brought to the scene by Fred Johnson, game warden. Another car driven by Lind Olson and accompanied by Mr. Geisike, Norman Hokanson and Pete Slotsve made its way up the highway looking for a place to park.

And then, looking up the road they saw David with his little wagon. When they reached the little tot he reluctantly accepted a ride for himself and the wagon. David said he had started out to trap gophers. He had walked nearly a mile along the highway.

Everyone who helped in the search went home with a light heart because "Little Beaver" was safe and snug in his own little bed that night.

Just a little note, for "the rest of the story."

When I moved here, I ran across a darling little red wagon, stashed out in a shed. After mentioning the wagon and showing it to Beaver, he told me the story about the day he went gopher trapping. He'd also mentioned that on his return into the yard, they started blowing car horns and making all sorts of racket, signaling to the other searchers that he'd been located. Well, he didn't know what was going on; all those people, vehicles and commotion scared him so badly he had an "accident." Poor little guy!

Fifty years after little David's adventure, his red wagon, having been saved from the shed, now has a nicer residence, in our laundry room, filled with Beaver's old blocks and one of my teddy bears. The story he'd told me about its travels with him endeared it to my heart; the little red wagon has become a sweet keepsake.


Here is my update ... I have been keeping busy lately, but luckily I've mostly been busy with fun activities as opposed to work. On Friday, the 4th, Lori and I had a group of 50 friends get together for the Twins home opener. Wyatt and Rylie came down. (Jolene had to work.) Chris came down with some of our friends from Ashby. Eric and Leona also made it down.

We all took the afternoon off work and met up in the tailgating lot before the game. We grilled and hung out for several hours despite temperatures in the 20's and the occasional snow flurry - much different from the previous year when we enjoyed sunny 70 degree weather. We were definitely glad to be able to go inside for the game.

I spent most of last week in Las Vegas. Lori and Aaron and Lori's friends Brian and Kristin flew out there on Wednesday to celebrate Aaron's birthday. I had never been there before so it was fun to see all of the famous sights. We had perfect weather -- sunny and in the 80's. I spent a lot of time sitting by the pool soaking up the sun and being thankful to have a break from the cold weather we'd had the week before in Minnesota.

We also logged a lot of miles walking around sightseeing and watching all of the various shows the casinos put on outside along the strip -- light shows, water fountain shows, pirate shows, you name it. Unfortunately, despite our travels we were not successful in my goal of seeing Elvis. I had assumed there was an Elvis on every corner in Vegas, but no such luck.

We had to catch a flight back yesterday (Sunday) at 7 a.m., so I spent most of yesterday unpacking and catching up on sleep. It was definitely a fun trip and it was nice to have the break from work.

Well I guess that's about all for now. Hope things are going well in Missouri!


May I introduce Tami -- she is Dwight and Janie Anderson's daughter.

Hi! Just wanted to write an update to help you out with your paper! I only have four more days of school and then three finals and that will finish out my didactic part of optometry school! I start my first clinical rotation May 27 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. In the mean time I get/have to move!


Memory Lane

She looks so helpless as she lays there. Restless and yet asleep. I reach over to stroke her forehead and brush her hair back. She seems to relax a little. Just being there beside her, knowing if she wakes she will see a familiar face. There is a lot of time to reflect on what we've been through over the years. Will we have a future after today? Today is more hopeful than yesterday. The doctors don't know if they can fix the damage; maybe tomorrow we'll know for sure.

She stirs a little and opens her eyes. I have to keep her from pulling the tube from her hand. Unconsciously she runs her hand over her hair above the ear. She's going to be upset when she sees how short they cut her hair. She knows she's in a hospital but there's no way she would have gotten in a helicopter to get there. All she had was a bad headache. She drifted off again. Only there a couple minutes at a time.

I know she's ready to go if you call her, but we still need her. The kids are having a hard time dealing with this. Does she know how much we love her? We've already decided that when she makes it through this, and she will make it through this, we need to show each other how we feel. Was that your plan, to bring us closer together?

She's awake again. "Can I have some water?" Holding the cup with the straw, I lean over and kiss her forehead, "I love you, Mom." I'm starting today because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

to Mom with love.....Ardis

Grandma Dake
by Donna

I think of Grandma Dake and think of purple. There were her plants, especially violets and lilacs. Also her dresses, most of which had purple or lavender in them. I'm sure she had many other colors, but that's the one I associate as "being" her!

An activity with Grandma I enjoyed, when I was young, was to go out in the henhouse with her and "pick" eggs. Which was always a little scary, reaching under a hen, afraid she might peck your hand. I thought Grandma was so brave, she never even hesitated. It took me a lot of nerve to stick mine under, but pulling out the smooth, warm egg was worth the risk! Later in the day we would wash the eggs at the huge kitchen table, in a pan of water sitting on the table. This was a task that you had to be very careful with, so as not to drop and break or crack any. Being she trusted me, I was so very cautious!

As Grandma Dake and I shared the same birthdate, she always made me feel special. Later as I grew older, I noticed her ways of showing others how they were special, too. She had a lot of people that loved her non-judging, kind ways.

I have a memory for memory lane. we were on our way home from Missouri. It was my 16th birthday. Eric and I were riding in the back of the pickup (which had a topper). We had just finished our vacation with Grandpa and Grandma in Springfield. I thought it was so cool at the time. Because it was my birthday I got to use the best lawn chair. I have so many other memories I will add later.


I enjoyed reading Merna's memory of Grandma Cleo. I think a lot of us have inherited "Anderson" feet!

One of my memories I have of Grandma Cleo is when Marlee would come to Wahpeton for a few days in the summer and we'd stay at Grandma Cleo's.

Part of the day's activities included getting up early (or so it seemed to me!) so that we'd get to every rummage sale advertised in the paper. After waking us up by blasting a Sousa March cassette tape from the living room, Grandma Cleo would put on her white buckle dress shoes and grab one of her many purses from the front closet. Then we'd hop into her orange Cadillac with the white vinyl top and off we'd go to get whatever treasures we could find!

The rest of the day was spent resting, playing Rummikub and Yatzee, and eating!!! These are great memories for me!

Brenda Hill

The Family Cookbook
Culinary Heirlooms
by Doug Anderson

     A while ago, I received a pleasant surprise in the mail. My Mother (You know Her as The Editor) sent me a packet of decaying recipe cards that contained some true treasures, indeed. Among those recipes were jewels from many gifted chefs, but none more delicious and classic than the following. Please allow me to introduce...

Blanche's Timeless Jelly Rolls

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a pan (10x15x1) with greased parchment paper.
Beat 3 large eggs until bright yellow (approximately 5 minutes).
Fold in 1 cup sugar.
Add 5 teaspoons water and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Sift together 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and a dash of salt.
Combine both of these mixtures vigorously.
Pour into pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes.
Sprinkle a cloth with powdered sugar and turn the pan upside down on it.
Remove parchment paper, trim edges.
Frost with cooled filling of choice.
Roll up beginning at short end.
Quickly roll and wrap in a towel until cooled.

     I'm sure I ate many of these gooey beauties while sitting in Duane's room reading his Mad magazines. Now I can reproduce them, and so can you!

     Next week: Promising new talent from the Northland!

Desperately Seeking

Chapter Three
by Doug

     Our second checkpoint, Tempe, Arizona, was somewhat less dramatic. As I peered out of the back seat at the painted green rocks of the suburban "lawns," I could feel cowboy withdrawal seize my adolescent soul.

     The first night of our arrival at Uncle Carl and Aunt Lollies, I remained in the car, scribbling several frantic drafts of the penny on my charcoal sketch pad. I was content to remain in the familiar entrapment of the car, even though I had been in the same back seat for countless miles. I was very fond of my Aunt and Uncle, but I was suffering from a kind of "culture shock."

     Then came a gentle rapping on the back seat passenger window.

     The door opened slowly and something akin to an ethereal Gypsy princess slid into the seat next to me. I would eventually learn it was my cousin Debbie, but for all I knew at that moment, it was Helen of Troy.

     "Watchya' doin'?" She asked, settling back into the creaking leather seat.

     "Just.... Stuff... Drawin'." I stammered, flipping over the sketchpad.

     "Can I see?" she asked. I reluctantly handed over the sketchpad with no further prodding.

     "Wow, these are really good. I see you like Bruce Lee."

     Within minutes, Cousin Debbie had extracted every secret I had ever attempted to conceal, including my obsession with the giant penny. Cousin Debbie was, and probably still is, a natural, because soon I was being coaxed from the car like a bear cub from its mother. She informed our respective parents that she was taking me "sightseeing," and we piled into her sky blue VW bug and hit the "strip."

     Bright lights, big city. I guess I never really understood that one until right then. What was billed as "sightseeing," was really just cruising around blaring her AM radio. That particular Arizona evening in 1974, I was introduced to a staple of classic Americana that is as old as the automobile itself.

     Jefferson Airplane wailed from the car speakers and Cousin Debbie wailed along with a zeal that had a profound effect on my impressionable fifth-grade soul. To this day, I cannot hear Grace Slick sing and not think of Cousin Debbie.

     We traversed the winding canyon roads to what seemed to be the top of the world. Tempe glowed below us like a slithering mass of luminescent eels, sublime and surreal. On the return trip, we passed a monolith outdoor movie screen, and paused for a few moments to watch some Kung Fu hero vanquish foe after evil foe, to the mournful strains of El Condor Pasa on the crackling car radio.
     (To be continued)


To the Editor ... It is very hard to think of something that I can do about my problem -- so I decided to see if Mr In-A-Jam(b) had any suggestions. Here is my question:

My driveway and front sidewalk have been damaged from salt which I spread to melt the ice last winter. However, it made such ugly spots in front of my house. How can I decorate or fix them to make my front entrance more appealing??????

Joe: This person must also be over 40 years old ... "hard to think of something." I wish I had a dime for every time I went out to the truck for something...?? Oh well, this keeps me active as I enter my mature years!

Pete: looking at that plate of doughnuts this morning, Joe, you will need to stay active for a LONG time. OK can we get down to new business? She says she needs help with the "appeal" of her driveway; it sounds, as she describes it, that is just what she HAS:a driveway with an "Ap-PEAL-ing problem.

Sam: Maybe it would help if she put a flowerpot over each of the ugly spots; this would help the looks, but of course that wouldn't help the usability of the driveway, much less the sidewalk!

Joe: Are we dealing with concrete here? Must be because I've never seen asphalt act like this. If so, we would suggest a concrete patch to fill the holes. You could spread this over the rest of the concrete for an even finish, too, if you want; this will add durability for years to come, as well as be an aesthetic help.

Sam: That's it?? Meeting adjourned?? Can I tell a real life story before we leave? Many years ago ... back before cell phones ... there was a plumber who thought he wanted to be on the leading edge of technology, his name was "Harry DenHerders Plumbing." He had this slogan on all of his trucks "For help in a hurry, call Harry." This went on well for some time, but then one day he received a call that added strength to his slogan:

A distraught lady called with an emergency, an everyday plumbing emergency. (No one ever died on days like this, but things may get a little wet.) Her problem required immediate help (hence the reason for calling Harry) and little did she know about the technology behind this slogan, because Harry was RADIO DISPATCHED! He had the technological advantage!

Anyway, back to the story ... as she explained her problem, Harry was jotting down the pertinent information and reassured her that they would be on their way. As she hung up the phone, one of Harry's trusted employees pulled into her driveway!

She was taken aback! "How did you do this?" she exclaimed! Then fear set in, "How DID you do this??" she asked.

(Being at the right place at the right time had a little to do with this situation; the driver was driving past her street at the time of Harry's call and was able to respond in uncanny timing).

'till next time!


Hey! Has anybody seen my tape recorder ? Whoever took it had better bring it back, and those batteries better not be dead ! Donnie, down in the basement.

FOUND -- one tape recorder
Just an observance: Did you ever notice that all those old black and metal tape recorders from the 70's looked the same? Just wondering if anybody else had noticed that, or if it was just me.


Mavis had a question in the 4/10/03 bulletin:


Weston has had the same problems with his emails, so I discussed this with Weston and Wyatt and we came up with a few possibilities.

For the recipient of the bulletin:

1. You can copy and paste the whole bulletin into Word and then you can read it, print it and/or save it to a folder on your personal drive.

2. There may be an option somewhere in your email program to wrap lines (or something like that). Suggest looking at some of the option menus.

NOTE: If this situation recurs (unlikely), print from the web page version of The Bulletin, where the line width is controlled.

Our Present Staff:
EDITORS: Mom, Grandma, Dorothy, etc.
Beaver------Ashby Correspondent
Doug -------St. Cloud Correspondent
Rich---------Mr. In-A-Jam(b) &
Kim------his assistant
Donna------Researcher for Memory Lane, etc.