The Bulletin
Wednesday, November 12, 2003
Browse The Bulletin archive index

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Caught in the act! Caught in the Act
Hetty and Her Friend
at the Casino in Fargo!

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Caitlynn goes to Great Aunt Linda's

For a special holiday, Caity visited ShyAnne
They had lots of fun. She says "Hi" to you all!

ShyAnne & Caitlynn -- Halloween 2003
Building With Dominoes and Glow Sticks
at Grandma (Auntie) Linda and Uncle Joe Zitzmann's house.
I sure am glad to see you -- it's been too long!
Best Buds!!!!!

Travelogue t

The Bolivian Beat
By Kjirsten Swenson

Today is the first day of spring here, and it's also El Día Del Médico. So congratulations, Dad! But it's also El Día Del Estudiante (student's day) El Día Del Amor (day of love) and Día De Los Jovenes (young people's day). Not sure why they decided to celebrate them all at once. Personally, I'm just excited to be celebrating the first day of spring in September! Hooray for the Southern Hemisphere!

Last night I had bought tickets to hear a Bolivian group with my sister, but the sound and lights systems couldn't arrive due to blockades. Cochabamba isn't blockaded, but most of La Paz and a few other cities are. Hopefully, they'll resolve the situation soon, 'cause we're supposed to travel to La Paz and Copacabana next weekend, but won't be able to if the rocks are still in the roads.

I spent most of this afternoon working on a project with a snazzy Stanfordite. She has a grant to stay in Bolivia for the next several months and study some aspect of women's health/ reproductive issues. Maternal and infant mortality rates are astronomical here, and complicated by a slew of cultural/ social issues. She suggested that we could perhaps stick together next semester and select a rural town where she could do her study and I could do more hospitalish work and maybe some cultural/social stuff as well.

Morochata, the town where I ate lunch at the hospital last weekend, is a possibility. I'm delighted that some really great opportunities seem to be developing.

Vamos a ver.

Ciao, Kjirsten

From the Files of 5
Hetty Hooper --
the Family Snooper!

Well, I am in definite trouble -- My boss dropped in to see me and presented me with the picture above! Now who could be so mean as to send this out for everybody to see? I know my boss does not approve of gambling -- but I ask you, "What's a poor girl to do for entertainment?"

To top it all off, she says it came from Nevada. Or did she say North Dakota! Do you suppose that nice Chris would do this to me? I don't suppose so! And she wants to know who that was with me? I ask you, Where do I go from here?? Life does get perplexing!

Later: I just found out the details -- It seems the newest member of our staff sent this picture to the boss in the mail. The boss is running it as my punishment. She says maybe it will teach me how important it is to be circumspect when we are in the public eye! Well at least it wasn't that nice Chris!! And not Wyatt, either! (Kind of thought about him, too, with his camera!) It was another woman, you know!

I am just too upset to spend any time snooping this week -- I do hope some of my reporters contact me -- and that not everybody abandons me in my lonesome state! Hetty Calls, "Help!"

You just never know when a nice little contact occurs in this business. Just got a little piece of further info about Ryan H. (You know, the ND one.) I quote: I overheard some people talking and they said it is a JESSICA that Ryan Hellevang comes home to see. She is from MN they said but lives now in MHD. I will keep my ears open for a last name.

Later: Another report from the same source (usually pretty reliable -- but who knows?) A quote again:

Hetty, I just found out a Last name for Jessica. Her last name is NELSON. I am much cheered up -- some people still work with me anyway, in spite of the scandal! Just keep reading what Hetty has to say.

This and That
by Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Veteran's Day

November brings a holiday ... some get off work, some businesses are closed, no mail, schools closed for a day of hunting (quarter break). Some places will have speeches by Veterans' groups, lay wreaths on Veterans' graves and monuments ... all in all, it's a day to remember those who served our country.

Armistice Day, later changed to Veteran's Day, was commemorated the 11th minute of the 11th hour, and 11th day and the 11th month in 1918 when World War I ended with the signing of the Armistice. This war was called the "War to end all wars" -- however this did not prove true.

On a more somber note, I think of those who are serving our country in faraway places today. We welcome those who can get breaks and come home. However, we think of those, too, who made the sacrifice and will not be coming home to their loved ones.

In respect of this day, I am sharing a poem which I wrote years back after my brother-in-law was killed in Germany in World War II.


They called him "Bud." The young farm lad
Said a fond goodbye to his mom and dad,
To enlist, as his country called for men,
In the Air Force, training time was spent.
Then based on  England's foreign soil.
B-17s bombed -- 'twas war's turmoil;
Twenty five missions were to be flown,
Then furlough time to rest at  home.
But the 24th  mission the bomber flew
Was the fatal mission  to that valiant crew;
From above, a plane,  dropped by Nazi flak,
Severed Bud's Fortress, ripped it in half.
Only one survived to tell that sad story.
All others died, they went down in glory.
War's strifes and woes? WE cannot forget
The  day the message came... "WE REGRET."
The brave young lad just in his prime.
Why should he be given so little time??
He rests in Ardennes, under Belgian sod,
Forgotten by many, remembered by God.
His name's designated on Legion Post,
Preserving our freedom, he gave his most.
The Service Cross, the Purple Heart,
The Medal of Honor -- he did his part.
Nearly 60 years have now passed by.
They say time  heals, but yet we cry...
And loved ones wait for a reply,
To that unanswered question. 

The Best of
The Bulletin :

One of the essays that had its place in The Bulletin in its first year, and that some of you may have missed or forgotten, was the one that follows:

A Scientific Experiment
By Beaver
Reprinted from The Bulletin 23, February 27, 2003

A curious mind and an impulsive nature can be a dangerous combination. While this is a lesson that I seem to have to learn over and over, a big yellow tomcat taught me that I was going to have to learn to think before I put my ideas into action.

Our second grade class was learning about cats. Mrs. Evavold had us read a story and looked at pictures. We learned that cats can fall a long way without getting hurt, and that they always land on their feet. I had been around cats all my life, but didn't know they had such talent.

I was still thinking about what amazing things my friends, the cats, could do later that day when I got home from school. Then it struck me. I would do a scientific experiment! Our big yellow tomcat was sitting in the sun by the feed shed. I sauntered over and picked him up. He was a big fellow for a second grader to carry, but I was on a mission.

"Nice kitty, kitty, I crooned, as I carried the big yellow tomcat toward the barn. He purred contentedly as I trudged up the hill. We went through the haymow door and began climbing up the hay bales that rose like stair steps toward the rays of sunlight shining through the highest window in the end wall. It was a long, hard climb.

"Nice kitty, kitty, " I told the big yellow tomcat as we paused to rest halfway up. He purred happily. Visions of being a hero in school tomorrow danced in my head. I was doing a real scientific experiment! Maybe I could get Pa to bring the big yellow tomcat to school tomorrow for show and tell. The big yellow tomcat would be a hero, too.

Finally, we arrived at the window, way up by the roof. "Nice kitty, kitty," I stroked my fellow scientist as I peered down at the ground to make sure kitty would have a nice, flat place to land. It was a long way to the ground, but I wasn't worried. Mrs. Evavold had told us cats could fall a long way without getting hurt, and Pa always said it was nearly impossible to kill a cat.

"Nice kitty, kitty," I prepared my unknowing assistant for his big moment. The big yellow tomcat was lying across my arms, still purring. I thought I would just toss him out, giving him a quarter turn in the process, so he could go head first and see where he was going. I had a lot of respect for Mrs. Evavold and didn't want the big yellow tomcat to land upside down and prove her wrong.

We were ready. "Nice kitty, kitty," one last time, and I flung the big yellow tomcat out into thin air. The plan unraveled in an instant. The big yellow tomcat turned from soft and cuddly to a maelstrom of razor sharp claws. In less than a heartbeat, he was behind me, jumping down the bales and disappearing out the barn door. He had made a full turn just as I let go, using me for traction to claw himself back from his first try at flying. He had never quite gotten a good grip, climbing up my arms, across my face, and over my head at a rate of acceleration not nearly matched by the speed of his claw-bristling feet.

Blood oozed from the long scratches on my arms. I crawled down the bales, ran to a nearby truck, crawled up on the running board, and looked in the rear view mirror. My face looked worse than my arms. I felt the top of my head. My hand came away bloody. It would soon be supper time. What was Ma going to say?

I turned on the water pump behind the barn and washed off as much blood as I could. Sure enough, I heard Ma calling my sisters and me for supper. It seemed best to pretend nothing had happened. I slipped into the house and went directly to the bathroom to wash up, without being told. As I sat down at the table, I could feel all eyes turning toward me.

"What in the word happened to you?" were my mother's first words.

"Well, nothing, the cat scratched me a little when I was playing with him."

I was still oozing blood. My mother was used to seeing me come in pretty bedraggled, but this was a little worse than usual. I suppose she wanted to make sure that I wasn't needing shots after being mauled by a rabid badger. I knew by the look on her face that no story I could think of was going to work. Nobody was going to understand that I had been conducting a scientific experiment, either. So, I simply said, "I was trying to drop the big yellow tomcat out the top window in the hayloft to see if he would land on his feet."

The reaction to that was just about as bad as being mauled by the cat. They all lit into me at once. My sisters felt sorry for the cat. No amount of explaining would convince them that the cat could fall that far without getting hurt, even if Mrs. Evavold said so. Ma couldn't decide whether I was more lucky to not have fallen out with the cat, or to still have my eyes. Pa said the cat sure could have gotten hurt. By this time all the females in the house were looking at me as if I had suddenly turned into a murderous monster.

Ma got out the antiseptic. She chose her antiseptic according to the belief that the more it stung, the more good it would do. She seemed to get some satisfaction out of my writhing and squawking as she soaked my wounds with the nasty stuff.

That night, as I twisted and turned in bed, trying to find a comfortable position where nothing chafed my wounds, I realized that I probably wasn't going to be a scientist anytime soon. First I was going to have to learn what the big yellow tomcat already knew: look before you leap!

Chanticleer Restaurant

Fall and Winter Menu of 2003 & 2004

Starters / Savories

Chilled White Shrimp with Cracked Peppercorn Cocktail Sauce and Stilton Blue Cheese-stuffed Green Olives. $12.95

Grilled Portabella Mushroom with Fresh Basil Pesto, Boursin and Parmesan Cheese over Dressed Mesclun $10.95

Lobster Timbale with Bell Pepper Ceviche, Sweet Yellow Pepper Coulis and Flying Fish Roe $16.95

Seared Duckling Foie Gras and Grilled Pheasant Boudin Blanc with Roasted Green Apple and Rosemary $18.95


Mixed Baby Greens with Caramelized Pecans, Dried Morello Cherries, Fresh Bosc Pear and

Ver Jus Vinaigrette. $6.95

Caesar Salad served with Croutons, Black Olives, Red Bell Peppers, and Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese. (With Grilled Chicken Breast add $2.00). $6.95

Seared Duck Breast Salad with Stilton Blue Cheese, Roasted Pignolia Nuts and Fresh Citrus Vinaigrette. $12.95

Wok-Charred Salmon Salad Dressed with House Vinaigrette and a side of Asian Mustard Sauce. $10.95


Chanticleer Chicken Fettuccini with Sundried Tomatoes, Exotic Mushrooms, and Fresh Herbs

(Substitute Smoked Salmon add $2.00) $18.95

Lobster and Shrimp Creole-inspired Penne Pasta with Sauteed Okra, Yellow Tomatoes and Oyster Mushrooms $24.95


Beef Tenderloin Medallions over a Truffled Piquant Sauce with Fresh Chive Pomme Puree $24.95

Grilled Black Angus New York Strip over a Roasted Tomato and Veal Ragout with Herbed Pomme Puree $24.95

"Two Birds with one Stone," Featuring Duck and Pheasant Breast Ala’ Orange with Red Rice Pilaf $26.95

Scottish Farm-Raised Salmon with White Wine-braised Seasonal Wild Mushrooms and Petite Golden Lentils $24.95

Proscuitto-wrapped Tiger Shrimp in a Green Onion and Garlic Beurre Blanc with Gnocchi in Fresh Basil Pesto $24.95

Herb-crusted Pork Tenderloin with an Apple and Yukon Gold warm Salad $20.95

New Zealand Escolar in a Lemon Soubise with Black Truffle and Asparagus Risotto $24.95

Grilled Rack of Lamb in a Thyme and Garlic Red Wine Reduction with Tomato Orzo $24.95

Frenched Rack of New Zealand Red Deer Venison in a Natural Pan Jus with Chive Pomme Puree $24.95

Presented By Executive Chef Doug Anderson and Sous Chef Doug Johnson

A Garden Center in the Netherlands
by Ary Ommert, Jr.

I wish to introduce a new member of our staff. Many of you have met our friend from Netherlands. For those who haven't, Ary deals in plants, and their care and sales. He has agreed to tell us of his line of expertise in a series of articles to follow in the Wednesday editions of The Bulletin.

Meet ---Ary

I want to make an article from when the plants are delivered by truck until the moment that customers can buy them. Also about how to keep the plants healthy and what you can do with plants in combination with pots, glass or other materials. I want to make pictures from all the interesting points in that story to show people how we work and how to make displays to show all to the customers.

Want to make an interesting story and as you said it doesn't have to be published all in one Bulletin. It will take some weeks I think before it will be finished. I will tell the story step by step, and answer any questions that the readers may present.

Even though my colleague has been missing from work I was able the past 2 weeks to sell more flowering plants and arrangements than the same weeks last year. I'm kind of proud of that. We divide the houseplants in flowering plants and plants without flowers.

Nice and sunny day, but getting colder towards the weekend -- winter makes a busy season in my business. Have a good week, everybody!



After much consideration, we decided to buy a new electric blanket for our bed. We had one several years ago, but left it in a travel trailer we sold.

I made a run up to our local Wally-Mart and looked at the selection they had. After seeing the various kinds, colors, and specifications I was more confused. The price was the big surprise, (they don't exactly give them away anymore.) I looked at the single bed model, $39.95. With single control. I thought well, we have only one bed, why not choose a single model. After seeing the dimensions, I thought it would be far too small for our queen sized bed. I liked the price, though. I phoned Dorothy and asked her opinion on color. There were three colors. We chose the dark blue.

Then I discovered a queen sized model with dual control. hmmm, price $69.00 bucks.Whoo! I couldn't think of blowing that much money to keep warm.

Also there was a newfangled model that adjusts the heat automatically, a new feature. It looked very complicated and I thought, "Why should I try it; it must be in the experimental stage, as I never heard of that kind of thing before!"

Looking further, I noticed a king size model with more sophisticated gadgets, A whopping $105.95. It looked like it would cover the bedroom floor and have extra left over.

I carefully considered the queen size with dual control!

I took it home, kinda feeling dumb to spend that much money for a lousy electric blanket. I saw one this summer at a garage sale for $8.00.

I put it on the bed and looked forward to a warm comfortable night.

I turned my side on and noticed it didn't get even warm. Dorothy said her side was warm, And she didn't even have her side turned to on. I thought another trip to Wally-Mart to return it. Defective.

The second evening, I discovered I had the controls opposite. After changing that, all was well.

As we contemplate moving to a colder climate next year, I hope this huge investment will last me my remaining 20 years.

I believe in the old adage, "The fool and his money are soon parted"!


QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: Ever notice that the people who are late are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.