The Bulletin
Sunday, September 12, 2004

Back to The Bulletin archive index

Updates -

Weston & Lori in Chinatown, Washington, D.C., Sunday, Sept. 5

by Lori Chap

I celebrated my thirtysec... ah... thirty-something birthday in style this year and was very fortunate to have many celebrations! It started on Tuesday, August 31st, with gifts, treats and lunch, Paragon-style, thanks to my department cohorts. My friend and co-worker Rhonda brought in my favorite mint chocolate brownies, which was part of my well-balanced breakfast. Along with the brownies, I received a hilarious birthday card signed by the clan, an *NSync filled gift bag and was treated to lunch at Chipotle!

The *NSync gift bag tradition started last year and has been a fun "event" for birthdays ever since. It's always a mystery to find out what you'll get in the *NSync bag. I have included a picture of the items included in bag. I'd like to formally thank my wonderful friends at Paragon -- Rhonda, Adam, Lisa, and Kelli -- for the great gifts and treats!

Sunday, September 5th, I was able to celebrate my birthday with my mom, Beaver and Weston in Washington, D.C. (I'd definitely recommend this.) We started the day with a breakfast at Pete's Diner (since I was rather sick of hotel continental breakfasts by this point).

During breakfast, I noticed that I had two missed calls from Wyatt on my cell phone. The first message was Happy Birthday being sung by Wyatt -- very nice -- and the second message was Rylie singing me Happy Birthday, too! She did a great job!

E-mail from Wyatt about her message: Rylie heard me singing, then she started belting it out, and did it three times before I finally decided to call again. I can't believe she actually did it when I put the phone in front of her face!

We proceeded to spend the day at various museums: Smithsonian's Air & Space, National History and American History -- whew! I also received some additional Happy Birthday calls from friends. For dinner (10 p.m. is when we finally ate, I think) I was treated to a fabulous steak dinner at the Chop House in Washington, D.C.'s downtown/ Chinatown district. It was a great night and wonderful way to "top off" a great trip. Thanks again to Mom, Beaver and Weston for visiting D.C. with me! And thanks for the trip money from mom and Beaver, too!!

Monday, September 6th, we returned from D.C. (ahead of schedule but missing one piece of luggage) and were chauffeured back home by Chris. Upon return, I was greeted with another hilarious card and great gift from Chris and Jessy -- a set of kitchen utensils to match one I already had and some great pasta dishes. Thanks again and thank you for taking care of Jake while I was gone!!

Wednesday, September 7th, I was treated to dinner and more gifts from Dan and I also received various e-mails and calls from family and friends (and Miss Hetty) during the week.

I certainly don't expect such extended celebrations in years to come, but thoroughly appreciate all the birthday wishes, gifts, singing and dinners I received this year. I sure am lucky.

Lori's birthday gifts contained in *NSync bag

by Barbara Anderson

Everything is going well here. We are keeping busy at work, as usual. Right now my team is working on design development for two brick office buildings. One is a two story call center in Beaverton, Oregon (a western suburb of Portland). The other is a five-story Class A office building in Lake Oswego, Oregon (south of Portland).

I went up to Seattle a few weekends ago to check out some sights there. Other than that, I've stayed pretty close to home this summer, with the exception of Tami and Jason's wedding in June. I thought about going to North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin around this time of year, but it's hard to coordinate everyone's schedule since everyone is back to school and working, etc. So I'll probably wait until December or January now.

Thanks for your work putting together the Bulletins!

Editor's Note: Barbara is an architect.

by Eric and Leona Anderson

This is Eric. Currently I'm taking Small Business Payroll, Law and the Legal Environment of Business, Computerized Accounting Systems and Managerial Accounting. This semester I only have classes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 6 to 10. I quit my old job at Office Depot and, starting tomorrow, I'm back on with the temp service, with hopes of getting a better job sometime this fall or winter.

It's Leona. This fall will be my last semester for my Bachelor's in English. I'll be taking American Sign Language 4, my senior project, Introduction to Fictional Writing, Small Group Communications, and an online class called Drug and Alcohol Abuse. I have classes just on Mondays and Wednesdays, but the days are packed.

My new job at Lenscrafters is keeping me busy, also. I've been working almost 40 hours a week these last couple of weeks. I'm hoping that I don't have to work that much after this week, since tomorrow is my first day of class.

Today, I'll start my volunteering again for the school year. I'm volunteering at a local high school in some English classes. I need to do this in order to get into the teaching program here at the U of M, which will start next summer. This semester will be a very busy one, but this spring, I'll take it easy and only work.

by Kellie Thayer

School is going great -- we're studying photography and advertising right now.

Michael is back at school but is having difficulty with his shoulder. The MRI revealed a tumor in his shoulder (really at the tip of the humerus). He has another doctor appointment on the 13th, likely followed by a biopsy and surgery to remove the tumor. My brother-in-law thinks the likelihood of cancer is low, but to tell you the truth, I will not be able to let out my breath until we get the "all clear."

Just had to tell you -- Jason reports that Music and Band are a breeze, thanks to your piano lessons!

Bryan is OK -- really involved in Community 2000 and such.

I'd better go -- time to leave for school.


Day to Day R
With Donna Mae

A reminder for some and news to others, was the nice gift I received from our children and Beaver, money towards our trip to Washington, D.C. I got to put it to use September 1-6. Lori, Weston, Beaver and I had Chris take us to the airport early Wednesday a.m.; he picked us up again when we arrived home Monday afternoon. (Thanks, Chris!)

While in D.C. we visited the Holocaust Museum, Arlington Cemetery, walked to and also did a riding evening tour of the monuments, checked out Georgetown -- taking a Potomac boat tour from there, visited Mt. Vernon and toured the White House. (Side bonus for the guys there... We got to see the whole entourage of Miss America contestants!) We also managed to see a fair number of Smithsonian museums, guys doing even more of them than we did.

We were very lucky, finding and enjoying several nice restaurants, most with interesting ambiences and making for a delicious experience. Weston and Lori became quite accomplished at getting us around town, especially with the Metro rides. Although there weren't that many days, it seemed like a week to us, as we got so very much packed into the ones we had! It was a very nice trip!

Thanks again, family!

The Fish Market Restaurant in Georgetown

The Fish Market was one of our favorite restaurants, recommended to us by the wife of a classmate of Beaver's. It had some of the best seafood we've ever eaten and we've tried many things in many parts of the country! If you ever get to the area, go to Georgetown and check it out for yourself! It's down by the wharf, which made for a pretty visit. Lots of old cobblestones and many old buildings to make you realize how long all had been there. We had a waiter who had been working there about 30 years, if I remember correctly!

Lori digs into calamari (squid), mussels & oysters at The Fish Market
(The calamari was a big hit with Lori)

Special request from Caity:

If you use either Campbell or General Mills products, would you be willing to save the labels for Caity? Her third grade class is having a competition for all grades to earn a field trip. So, if any of you would be willing to help her out, that would be great!

They also collect pop tabs at their school, if you'd care to save those also. Thanks!


Travelogue t

The Bolivian Beat
By Mitzi Swenson (Kjirsten's mom)

Kjirsten returned to Bolivia at the end of July, and in August her older brother, Shane, and his friend Jayna Lee from Santa Barbara, California, and Kjirsten's younger brother Derek, and I joined her for almost two weeks. We spent time with her Bolivian host family in Cochabamba, visited the village of Morochata where she's been volunteering, and traveled to La Paz, Copacabana, Lake Titicaca, Sucre, Tarambuco, Potosi and went to a huge Bolivian festival. I'm filling in for her until she resumes writing. Currently, she's off on a vaccinating adventure in some isolated villages with the hospital team.

Lake Titicaca

We're in Sucre, flew here this morning and rented a taxi to go to a little village with a good textile market over an hour away. The taxi was old, slow, polluting, etc. but it was a nice day. We'll spend tomorrow in Potosi and split from Shane and Jayna, who will return home.

We ate Brazilian barbeque last night, stuffed ourselves for under $30 for all of us. Saturday we went to a festival close to Cochabamba. It was fascinating seeing the colorful dancers, music, people. We did laundry by hand. It's interesting when you count your assets in clean clothes and toilet paper!

More about Lake Titicaca: we went on a boat to see some ruins and climb above the lake for fantastic views. Buses have a permanent rancid meat smell; I could use a less sensitive nose. People watching could be a full time occupation here. We have lots of wonderful photos.

I hate to tell you how much fun I'm having and am sorry the kids need a mother. I'm glad you can keep them safe from things like potato guns while I'm gone. Soon we'll buy chocolate and I'll be home before you know it! The kids probably wouldn't enjoy wearing their clothes for a week, and all the dirt we've seen and accumulated. Our tummies are OK, not perfect. Kjirsten eats things I don't dare!

There is a fondue restaurant here but I don't know if we'll eat there; we haven't read menus for tonight yet. We have tried lots of hot chocolate and found it good everywhere.

Kjirsten's Bolivian family is wonderful. Derek has bonded with their cat.


Typical cafe scene: Kjirsten plans the next adventure and Derek sleeps.

Danger Rangers, Chapter 6

        We knew the Nazis were close; we could hear the storm trooper boots and the clatter of rifles close behind us. We lay silently against the musty hay, praying they would pass us by if we remained still and silent enough in the rotting hayloft of the dilapidated barn we were hiding in. As I huddled against the damp mattress of straw, I heard two adolescent voices converse in German:
        "I know they came this way," said the first.
        "Probably in the loft," replied the second. They had us. And so it would finally end. I felt relief sweep over me like a fresh spring wind. The futile running was finally at an end. I heard the voices again as the jackboot footsteps grew nearer.
        "Wait a minute..." said the first voice.
        "I smell something..." said the second.
        "I do too..." said the first, "...and I think... It's Rice Krispie Bars!"
        There were no Rice Krispie Bars in wartime Nazi Germany. Plenty of strudel, but no gooey marshmallow cookies named for the breakfast cereal they were made of. My suspension of disbelief sagged like a deflated parade balloon.
        "Hey! Come back here!" I called after Cousin A and Sister B as they broke into a trot towards our grandmother's house.
        "Aren't you going to take us prisoners?" I pleaded. "We'll play right this time, I promise!" This was one of my favorite games and Cousin A and Sister B were clearly spoiling it for everybody.
        "Those quitters!" I said as I climbed down from the hayloft like a sulking howler monkey. "Just when stuff gets good they have to go and quit."
        "I think they're right," said Cousin B. "I smell Rice Krispie bars, too." Cousin B galloped off like the prize mare she dreamed she was. The rest of us tried to keep up but could not match her enviable stride. We trailed in her dust like the broken opponents of Secretariat.
        Besides our more traditional games, like Sardines and Statues, we also enjoyed some of our own invention, which ranged from creative to downright bizarre. Besides the "Chased by Nazis" game (I think one of us probably had to do a book report on Anne Frank) we had a popular favorite called "Chicken Heart." This premise was inspired by a Bill Cosby record Sister A left at our Grandmother's house. On the record, Mr. Cosby describes a giant chicken heart that runs amok and devours New Jersey, one city block at a time. This concept amused and terrified us and we wasted no time integrating it into our playtime activities. We ran screaming with maudlin horror as the designated "Chicken Heart" portrayer chased the rest of us back and forth across Aunt A's farm, sometimes a little beyond. This game may seem less than inspired, but it drove away many the case of summertime ennui.
        That particular afternoon we took a brief respite from our predictable pursuit games in the form of Rice Krispie bars and our favorite Homer and Jethro record. As the last strains of Poor Old Elijah faded, the familiar and inevitable indecision set in. "What should we do now? I'm sick of that game. You always want to play that; let's not and say we did."
        We ended up on the porch of Aunt A's house, posing these and similar questions at length and with considerable volume. Aunt A finally intervened -- mercifully -- and dragged a large box of forgotten dresses (mostly prom formals from the fifties and sixties) out onto the porch. It would prove to be the proverbial Pandora's box of discord, indeed.
        You have heard many times, no doubt, that tripe about the "dreamy, slow motion" quality that reality takes on when something dreadful is happening. I'm sure that is exactly what I was feeling when one of my sisters or cousins suggested that we have a beauty contest. A far away bell was probably tolling.
        Before I could really grasp what was happening, Sister C and Cousin A were locked in mortal combat against the side of the house like Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr up against the boards, a baby blue prom formal straining between them.
        "I saw it first!" shrieked Cousin A.
        "You only want it because I want it!" insisted Sister C. Cousin C blew past me like an inscrutable breeze.
        "This is a stupid game," she observed, wisely. "I'm going to record the radio with the tape recorder." I fell into line behind her.
        "Where do you think you're going?" Cousin A shouted at me. I shrugged.
        "Oh, no you don't! We need a judge and an Emcee and you're the man. Get back here and find yourself a microphone."
        The next thing I knew I was speaking into a defunct electric razor and trying to referee what had all the earmarks of a good soccer riot. Cousin B was already bored with our new game and was taunting Sister B in a shrill and silly voice. Sister B was pleading in earnest with Cousin B to take the proceedings more seriously. Cousin A and Sister C had negotiated a tenuous truce concerning the baby blue prom formal, but we all knew that the issue would come up again. Cousin C was wisely hiding away in her bedroom, taping bubblegum pop songs off of KDWB 63. I longed to join her, but I was bound to my role in our new game with invisible chains.
        Our pageant was completely improvised, yielding some very creative results. Sister C sang I Never Promised you a Rose Garden with verve and poignancy, leaving the rest of us dewy-eyed and silent. Sister B wrapped up the poise category with her unmatched and soon to be imitated catwalk stride. Cousin A unleashed an endless barrage of "knock-knock" jokes that left us all rolling in the aisles. It was clear that choosing a winner would be a difficult and potentially dangerous task. I began to plan my escape.
        "Now let's do the evening gown competition. I get to wear the blue dress now," said Cousin A. This suggestion fell out like an off-color joke at a funeral reception. Sister C stormed off and began to brood like a North Atlantic ice storm.
        After what seemed like the Entebbe hostage negotiations, the infamous baby blue prom dress was barred from the proceedings, officially. Our competition resumed and the moment I was dreading most inevitably arrived.
        "So..." said Cousin A, "Who's the winner, Dougie?" I felt like Voltaire awaiting sentencing. I shrugged.
        "C'mon," said Sister C, "Out with the results. You're the judge." All eyes fell on me. Dread and panic swelled inside me like unbaked cookie dough.
        We all know that in times of extreme crisis sometimes our body supersedes the mind and stages a kind of mutiny. This physiological coup de grace leaves the body in complete charge while the mind stands by as helpless as Captain Bligh. I broke into a full run and cleared the trees before any of the contestants knew what happened. I arrived at Aunt A's house winded, but elated.
        "The girls said they would like YOU to judge the contest," I lied to my aunt. She seemed amused by the idea and followed me out to the broken grove of trees where our pageant was being staged. I heaved an enormous sigh of relief and followed closely behind her.
        Aunt A did the wise and prudent thing, of course, and called the whole contest a draw. This ruling was the obvious way out of the dilemma, but it was also a controversial decision; one that I'm not sure would have been accepted if it had been proposed by me. I was certain that I had done the right thing and had once again escaped bodily harm through quick thinking and intuitive ingenuity, the way I would be called upon to do many times before my tour of duty was up on the farm.
        "Let's never play that again," I suggested to Cousin B, who was taunting a colony of ants with a stick and ignoring every word I said.

Photo Editor's Note: for more short stories written by Douglas Anderson-Jordet and illustrated by Brianna Anderson-Jordet, collected from past editions of The Bulletin, click here:

By Don Anderson

Fender Skirts And Other Gadgets

When I was growing up, I had a knack for dolling up my automobile. Maybe some of you older ones can attest to that. I well remember I scouted a long time to find fender skirts for my 1940 Chevrolet. Not many were offered and I was happy to get a pair.

Soon after, I was in Wahpeton on a below zero night and coming out to my car I found I had a flat tire on the rear wheel. Sure as pop, my fender skirt was frozen on. I worked a long time figuring a way to get it off to change the tire. You can bet your life I didn't put them back on again until June.

I had a set of special fender skirts on my 1947 Chevrolet. They made the appearance of a streamlined automobile (summer use only).

Sunvisors come out in the late 40's and I longed for one on my 1940. I got some metal and formed it and mounted on the car, painted it and it looked very nice and did the same job as a "tailor made" visor. Later, when my financial condition warranted it, I bought a factory made one. I think the price was about $12 from Coast to Coast in Wahpeton.

I had a swan with lit up wings on my hood ornament, really was sharp. I often wondered if my wife was more excited about my car than she was about me.

I also installed a spotlight, which was a fun thing. I got into some trouble with it, which I won't go into detail on now. Also had a "backup light" that went on when the shifter was put in reverse. (This was troublesome as it got out of adjustment easily.)

"Curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental. I never did figure out a way to design my own continental kit. It would look goofy on a coupe anyway.

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."  Am I the only "oldtimer" who remembers that?

Gone are the good old days! I wonder how much longer I will have my memory of the days past. They were exciting, to say the least!

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays:

September 12---Lindsey Hellevang
Serptember 15---Shari Schweiger

Happy Birthday!

More September Birthdays:
September 2---Patty Anderson
September 2---Brianna Jordet
September 2--Stanley Dake
September 3--Eric Printz
September 3---Charlie Quick
September 4--Wiley Nelson
September 5---Lori Chap
September 5---Genelle Mogck
September 7---Brendan Aydelotte

September 19---Nathanial Kurtis Seaman (3 years old)
September 21---Jessica Aydelotte
September 24---Wyatt Johnson
September 28---Donald L. Anderson
September 30---Sheldon Swenson

September Anniversaries:
September 1---Doug and Brianna Anderson-Jordet (next year!)
September 5---Carolyn and Ernie Dake (33 years)

September Holidays & Observances
September 6---Labor Day


Miss Hetty Says

Doug and Brianna Anderson-Jordet will be at home (after September 21) at 201 31st Avenue N., St. Cloud, MN 56303. (Before that date, they may be reached at 108 3rd Avenue, NE #302, St. Cloud, MN 56304.)

Thank You from Becky

There are many people that I wish to thank for making my birthday so special. Before my birthday, Grandpa gave me a bedroom set that is beautiful. He bought the "bedroom in a box" and worked hours to put it together. On my birthday, my folks took us out to eat ... and there I had many special gifts. I loved my Cherish Teddy Bears ... There was an engagement bear from Mom, and a wedding one from Dave, a nice wooden box lined with cedar from Grandpa and Grandma and some bath things from Caity and Jayce, also a Winnie the Pooh from Caity.

But most exciting of all was the one that took so much planning -- my first ever SURPRISE PARTY!

I would like to thank Lori for the surprise party and all the ones that made it so nice. Thanks to Patty Anderson for the cake, and to everybody who brought such good food. I would also like to thank Linda and Joe for coming and for the Precious Moments. I will always cherish it. And Donna Richards, thank you very much for the bracelet. Patricia, thank you for coming and for the lotion and body wash. Thanks for coming and sharing the fun, Peggy and Eddie, and also thank you for bringing Dave and Jayce and Beaver down.

Now thanks to all that gave cards with money --Patty and Donnie thanks; Mar and Rich thank you for coming and for the card and money; also thank you to all my siblings for the card and money. It was fun shopping with Lori after the party. Thanks, Mom, for helping make this such a nice birthday

Now If I have forgotten anything, or anybody, just remember when you get this old you get forgetful.

Love, from Becky

A Good Time Was Had By All

Thank you to Linda Zitzmann for the above photo of Becky at the birthday party buffet table.

Correction: That was not Linda Zitzmann, third from left in the first picture at Becky's birthday party in last week's Bulletin; it's Donna's friend Patricia Quiggins (or Patsy). They do sort of look alike in that small picture, I'm told, but our photo editor hadn't seen either of them before and guessed incorrectly, with those in the know away on vacation.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Thank you so much for sending me your newsletter. I really enjoyed all the pictures. I remember visiting at the Berndt farm. Hard to believe that us cousins are now the grandparents! Aunt Elaine knows I have always been interested in all the family history. I would love to be put on the newsletter mailing list.

Thanks again,

Sue Wright

Editor's Note: Sue Wright is Don's niece, daughter of his brother Elwood and Lorene.

Thanks for all the Bulletins. I now have #'s 1, 2, 10, 110, 113, 114, 115, 116, and 117. (I don't think that includes the one about the Dake Family Reunion.)

I was really glad to see Ernie's piece as I don't recall seeing a picture of their house before, or their family picture including Sonja. I'll be looking back over the Bulletins as time allows.

Larry T. Dake

Editor's Note: Bulletin #109 is on its way to you via e-mail. Enjoy! Recent editions of The Bulletin (currently #94 through #118) are also posted to the web archive here:


Two antennas meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.

An invisible man marries an invisible woman. The kids were nothing to look at either.

A man takes his Rottweiler to the vet and says, "My dog's cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him?" "Well," says the vet, "let's have a look at him." So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth. Finally, he says, "I'm going to have to put him down." "What? Because he's cross-eyed?" "No, because he's really heavy."

What do you call a fish with no eyes? A fsh.

To search a name in Who's Who: use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too. I know it does in mine.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member.

Click here to find recent editions of The Bulletin in the web archive.





QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances. --Thomas Jefferson

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.