Got coffee?
Illustration © Virginia McCorkell

Updates -

by Melanie Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

A short update on my family. Beau is in his senior year at Augsburg. He changed his major; I think it has something to do with business. Cameron is a high school senior but has more interest in anything with wheels that can go real fast. Shea is in eighth grade and her vocabulary consists of "Whoa, he was hot!" and "I neeeed new clothes!" and, of course, "homework?"

Brianna will be four on November 2nd (she shares a birthday with Grandma Gert) and already had her preschool screening in August. She did just fine and can plan on attending Kindergarten in two years. Brandon is 2-1/2, but upon seeing him, most people think he's four. He's a pretty big kid, but very much in the terrible twos. Have you ever tried wrestling a 45 pound screaming child into a grocery cart, when that is the last place in the world they want to be? (I also think there ought to be a law against candy and silly little toy machines at the check-out aisle in any store in America!)

Brian is currently at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, training for his mission in Iraq. He should be leaving Fort McCoy mid-November for a 30 day stay in Kuwait prior to arriving at Camp Taji, Iraq. Camp Taji is located approximately 20 miles north of Baghdad. We are told he will be "in country" for 12 months. The two little ones and I traveled to Wisconsin last weekend to see him. He only had a 24 hour pass but the LT is hoping he can arrange a four-day pass for the soldiers prior to their departure for Kuwait.

For the first time ever, I am now a stay-at-home mom. I'm hoping I won't have to look for work until Brian returns home. I can't imagine how I ever worked full time and did everything else a mom/wife has to do! I'm still the Family Readiness Group Leader for Brian's Unit. Doing their newsletter, updating files and keeping in touch with families of deployed soldiers takes time. It's nice having something to do during those lonely hours at night when the kids are in bed and the house is quiet.

Brandon, Brian and Brianna Lehtola

by Heidi Johnson Henderson
Albuquerque, NM

Hello from the Land of Enchantment and the home of Balloon Fiesta -- or New Mexico, as you might know it better! How are you? Everything here is going quite well. Busy, but well! I know this is LONG overdue, so I'm sorry it took so long to get an update out of me! Please forgive me. :)

The last two months since the wedding have been a blast. Ryan and I are enjoying married life completely! We enjoyed our honeymoon. We went on a cruise to Mexico and Belize. It was incredibly relaxing and I've never eaten so much in my life! We sure got our money's worth on the food factor!

After our cruise we stayed with Mom and Dad in Minnesota for a few days and then we all headed down, caravan style, to New Mexico for the reception. We made it safely, and with only minor alternator trouble on my car.

It was nice to have Mom and Dad and the kids with us for a week or so. We took them to Flagstaff, Arizona, for a look-see. We all spent a ton of time in the pool at our house. Then we had the reception for all the friends here in Albuquerque. It was fun to wear my dress again, and see everyone we don't usually spend much time with. Once Mom and Dad left, it was back to reality.

Ryan went back to work at UPS after a whole month of vacation; it was hard to get back into the swing of things. He has been working 50+ hours per week, so that's pretty hard.

And I started back at East Mountain High School. I Worked for the Academic Dean of Students and the Registrar. After a few weeks of that, I got a job offer from Holly, my new sister-in-law, at a custom closet place, doing design work. I was offered more money, more hours and a shorter commute, so that was a no brainer. I'm just finishing my training there, so I will be all by myself pretty soon!

I've also started school again. Hooray! I hope it won't take me too long to get my degree. This semester I am only taking one class (Political Science), but it's a start. I am working toward a degree in Accounting. So should be fun!

Over Labor Day, Ryan and I went camping with Rorke and Leatha Murphy, some of our good friends (and relatives of the Hendersons). They had just moved to Los Alamos, near Santa Fe, New Mexico, so we went to visit them and go camping. We had a lot of fun wandering around in the mountains while the boys shot guns and played with their trucks. :) We are planning to go camping with Rorke and Leatha again this weekend, so we'll keep you posted on how that goes.

I guess that about catches you up on what we are doing ... and hopefully I will be better about keeping everyone updated on life In New Mexico.


UPDATE -- Sweet Sixteen
by Lindsay Hellevang
Fargo, ND

Thank you so much for that birthday card! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to write back, but I have been busy keeping up. Here is a recap of the party, and an update on what it's like being 16!

On September 12, I turned 16 and my family threw me a surprise birthday party! My mom had gotten many decorations ready and even made a cake without me knowing anything was up. They invited Grandpa and Grandma Morgan, Tim and Char Myron and family, along with other relatives. After meeting on Sunday, the day before my birthday, they arrived for a meal and, of course, presents! We had cake and I blew out my 16 candles! It was a very fun afternoon and a good way to spend my Sweet 16.

I'm now a sophomore at Fargo North High School and recently made the musical, Pippin. Rehearsals will be keeping me busy through the fall. I have continued in choir and piano and am playing in the "Lorie Line" books now. I was on the soccer team last spring for North and hope to play again this spring. We have a fall league indoors that will be starting in a couple weeks and it is just put on by the players; there are no coaches involved.

I will hopefully be getting my driver's license tomorrow, and then I will be able to drive to school and many other places! I am definitely looking forward to that. That's what is happening right now, and I will enjoy being another year older!


Lindsay Hellevang, Sweet Sixteen.

by Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Life here is good. The kids and grandkids were all around this weekend, which is the way we like it! We had Aiden for a couple days as Anne's husband, Julian, was in a wedding, so they were gone some for that.

At 2 years and 3 months, Aiden is really a lot of fun. Austin, at 2 months, is beginning to form some personality already, and boy is he active! We are extremely fortunate they live close. It would be awful not to get to experience this time with them.

Sam (our son) came over yesterday for a nice visit. I regret I wasn't as considerate with my own parents as our kids are with us.

We have tried to take pictures of the kids together, but Aiden is faster than the shutter. Anne just had some done at Sears, including some of them together, so I'll send one when we get them.

I got rear-ended on the freeway going home the other night. It is one of the "inevitabilities" of driving in Southern California. I wasn't hurt, and fairly minor damage to my truck. The guy behind me was struck by the guy behind him and he was pushed into me. The guy in the middle is probably pretty sore about now.

That's about it. Golf and grandkids (not in that order) have pretty much become my life away from work -- and I'm pretty happy about that! I'll send the pics when they arrive.

UPDATE -- Brooklynn's first birthday
by Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

We had a first birthday party for Brooklynn at Grandma and Grandpa Thoennes's house near Millerville on Saturday. The lucky little one year old had quite the turnout! Grandma and Grandpa Donna and John Thoennes, Grandma and Grandpa Donna and Beaver Johnson, Grandma and Grandpa Cathe and Elroy Finkelson, aunts and uncles Weston Johnson, Lori Chap, Shawn Ostendorf, Joel Finkelson, Todd and Brit Finkelson, and cousins Caity and Jayce Chap, and Grant and Vincent Finkelson. Of course, Mom and Dad and big sister Rylie were also there!

We grilled burgers, and had quite the feast of beans, potatoes, chips, crab dip, veggies from Grandma Thoennes's garden, bread and bruschetta, spice cake, and yellow cake! Brooklynn got some GREAT presents, including a lovable soft rocking horse that plays music and moves its head, a cute rocking chair that sings "Jesus Loves Me" and is painted with the words to the song, and many other toys!

Brooklynn at first birthday party.

Rylie's First Performance

Rylie recently started Sunday School, and today all the Sunday School kids were to sing in church. When the pastor asked the kids to come forward, I pointed Rylie in the right direction, and she walked up with the other kids. You know how a parent just knows the sound of their own kid crying? Within seconds, we identified Rylie's screams, and as I looked up the aisle, I saw her running back to us. She said she was scared, and didn't want to sing. So lucky Daddy got to hold and comfort her while the other kids sang "Catch the Spirit." After they were done, another little girl about Rylie's age led the pack back down the aisle, and as she spotted her parents, she yelled, "Mommy, I did it!" -- to the delight and laughs of the full congregation.


by Diana Martin
Brook Park, MN

My heartfelt appreciation to you, Dorothy, for the wonderful memorial you wrote to Russ in The Bulletin a few weeks ago, and to all who expressed their condolences and gave up prayers for us all. Every thought, word, deed, and prayer was supportive, welcome, and appreciated. Thank-you....

Russ's funeral was a month ago, today, (l0/01) ... so, it's been a rather sad day, but overall, we all seem to be having more good than bad days, as time goes on. After all, life does go on, and moving forward is the only way to move on with life.

Going through Russ's clothes, tools, and personal things ... giving away, donating to our local charities, and letting the family choose things they would like as mementoes, has been difficult emotionally, but necessary, and helping me to get the cabin ready for sale.

I bought myself some "goodies," both needed and wanted for quite some time. I seriously needed a new couch and chair for the living room, and what an improvement! I smile every time I use or look at them. I know Russ would have loved them, so that makes me feel good, too.

I also bought a "newer" vehicle -- a 2002 Buick Rendezvous, SUV type vehicle. I was so overwhelmed by all the "bells and whistles" that I didn't attempt to drive it the first week I had it. A visit to the dealership, and help from the salesman and shop manager, really helped me learn about it, so now I really am enjoying it!

I have decided to sell the camper van, as supporting two vehicles on my limited income will just be too much! So if anyone is interested in a 1999 Dodge Pleasureway camper, let me know! It has a van with generator, A/C, furnace, stove, fridge, microwave, color TV with VCR, flush toilet and shower. It also has newer tires, newer brake work, newer exhaust work, new outside valve, emptying system, outside shower. I have loved it, because my dogs travel everywhere with me, making it safer and more comfortable for them, but I just can't support it for that reason anymore. If you are interested, Dorothy can supply my address.

I've become quite competent around the house and yard ... doing things that usually fell onto Russ's shoulders, and although I get frustrated with myself sometimes, I feel a lot more confident than I did before, so that's a good thing!

My kids have been so loving, caring and helpful, that that alone has made this time so much easier to bear and get through.

Everyone ... life DOES turn on a dime, and nothing is certain, so ... please, hug your loved ones when you get the chance, and tell them you love them as often as possible. You won't regret it!

I pray that everyone is well, and happy, and life is treating everyone well. I treasure my link with all of you in the form of The Bulletin, and can't wait to receive my copies every other week from Don and Dorothy. (I have to have mine mailed, as I don't have a computer.) It's like a wonderful visit from all of you. Thank you, Dorothy, for all of your hard work putting The Bulletin together! It is a treasure!

Love to one and all!


Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

A Letter From Lyla

Lyla (Dahl) Thompson is a long time friend of mine from St. Peter, Minnesota; we went to vocational school together and roomed together after school. (We still see each other on occasion and keep in touch via e-mail and phone calls.)

We once did a great vacation to Michigan: Lyla, Donnie, and I. So I thought some of you might enjoy hearing a little about that before hearing from her latest letter.

A Trip To Michigan With Lyla A Long Time Ago

We took this famous trip to Michigan when Lyla and I were about 19 and Don about 15, which is his guess ... not mine. I couldn't tell you much more than what the pictures show you, so I called Don up to quiz him. The details will be from his memory ... he remembers it all "as though it were yesterday" and I seem to have a MAJOR fog. If it weren't for the pictures, it would probably all be gone.

Anyway, when I called to interview my brother about our first trip alone, he said that he only got to go along because if I wanted to drive Dad's cadillac, I had to take him along, too. Now, I suppose he figured that was a great pain to us, but we really did not mind having a young man along with us; it gave us a much more secure feeling while traveling.

According to Don, we went to Holland, Michigan, thus explaining the picture with the windmill. We saw Copper Harbor and Lake of the Clouds, which he said was a seven mile trip on a side road up into the hills. (Like Mom said, he could pretty much have told me anything, and it would sound right, being I remember so little! HOW does he remember the names and even the mileage? He even recollected the red of the soil in Michigan.)

Cadillac in Holland, Michigan, left; Donnie & Donna wading, right.

We also made a trip up the North Shore in Minnesota on this little journey (long before cell phones!). I do remember checking out the waterfalls and wading in the stream. Don said that it was so windy the night we stayed along the North Shore that waves were breaking across the road. Obviously he could write this story with details, as Larry does ... what's that like, guys, having a memory?

I do remember the little yellow motel we stayed at, set some distance back from the road. Don said it's still there and he still thinks about our staying there when he drives past it nowadays. That place has got to be very old, as it's been a LONG time since I was 19!

Now let us hear about Lyla's latest adventures: seeing her new home and hearing a little about her trip out to visit her daughter, Ginger.

from Lyla's Letter:

Things are going along nicely with my house. I'm mudding in the garage now. Figured I'd better get on one of my own projects and finish it before cold weather sets in. We had a neighborhood picnic last week and got to meet most of the neighbors. It's going to be a nice place to live.

Lyla's "little mansion," left; Lyla, Ginger & "the wonder car," right.

Over Labor Day, I flew out to Colorado to bring Ginger back from her cooking summer at a dude ranch. ( Awesome place. I was the "dish fairy" for a few days. That way I could stay with her for no cost. She will be cooking this weekend for us. Gourmet fare!

If you ever get out to the mountains and have to rent a car, get a convertible. It was just awesome. I got a free upgrade and here's what they gave me: a PT cruiser convertible. W00T! We went to the top of Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods in it. Did a trail ride and hike and met one of the neighbors -- great lady. All in all, a great vacation. Got up to Cheyenne to see an old neighbor, also. Wonderful.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Two More 2005 High School Graduations

Josh Boltz

I have received a letter from my niece Ardis Sigman Quick, and in it she told me of attending two high school graduation parties this spring -- for a grand nephew and a grand niece.

My grand nephew's name is Joshua Boltz, and he is Lisa and Brad Boltz's second oldest. There was a small party for him at Don and Gert Pettit's. (Gert, his grandma, is my sister.)

Ardis also sent me a picture of the children of Duane Miller and Jean Bauer. It was my grand niece Rosanna who was the graduate. The party was held at her sister Penny's home. These four pictured siblings are grandchildren of Blanche and Jim Miller. Blanche would have been proud to see Rosanna graduate if she had lived long enough to come along with Jim.

Belated congratulations to the new graduates! I also want to thank Ardis for sharing the information and the pictures.

Jay, Rosanna, Candice & Penny.

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

I cannot believe it! I was actually on line when you sent the current issue of The Bulletin! I was so excited because I thought, for once, that I was going to see the "Guess Who" section before Donna Mae and win the contest. (I would almost make a wager she is glued to her computer Saturday mornings, just waiting for the next issue of The Bulletin. :o)

Anyway, I quickly scrolled down, only to find I do not have a clue as to who those people are. The only one I'd venture a guess on is the first picture. Could it possibly be one of Patty Henderson's boys?

Melanie Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

Editor's Note: No, not really. That is too bad -- try again next time. Just a hint: those are important people from Don's side of the family -- and October 1 was their wedding day. They were featured in Bulletin 171, two weeks ago. We'll have a wedding story and pictures of the big day after they get back from their honeymoon cruise.

The mystery picture is our dear "Little Lori Anderson" ... who is being married today (10/01) as we get The Bulletin. The cute little fellow is her hubby, Keith Mason. Our best wishes to both of them, as we all are thinking of them today.

Doesn't Lori look just like her mom, Doris Anderson, in the center picture? Loved the pictures!

Elaine Anderson Wold
Wahpeton, ND

I noticed no one identified Joyce Nabor last week with Betty Weiland Droel. They were very special workers I remember from the 1970s.

Mitzi Johnson Swenson
Dickinson, ND

LTD Storybrooke

Clatskanie house, Sarah, Lincoln, Larry & Billy-Boy

A Dark Shadow
By Larry Dake

I started my new job as a Prosthetic Technician November 17, 1986. Just 40 days into my 90-day trial period, I was called into my new employer's office, along with my direct supervisor. I was given a $1 per hour raise, health insurance, paid holidays and the works. They assured me that I was on track to be earning $35,000 a year within a couple of years -- a respectable wage!

I made numerous sockets that amputees' stumps fit into. A plaster mold was made of the client's stump. The mold was filled with Plaster-of-Paris, making a model of the stump. The Prosthetist would then make modifications to the model; he would add pressure to certain points, and take pressure away from other points.

Over this modified model of the stump I would build a socket, using several layers of tubular cotton-stocking and a flesh-colored resin. A tight plastic sleeve was stretched over the cotton-stocking. I would then mix the two parts of resin together, which started a chemical reaction. I'd pour the mixture of resins over the model, and as the resin was drawn into the cotton stocking by a vacuum pump, I'd quickly smooth it around and work the bubbles out, using a short piece of nylon rope.

As I worked, the chemical reaction gave off toxic smelling fumes. The resin got hot and turned hard. The end result was a custom-made socket that fit securely over the client's stump. The artificial limb was then built on this socket.

I seemed to have a special talent for shaping artificial legs to make them look realistic. I covered the mechanical underpinnings of the legs by gluing blocks of firm foam rubber to them. Using tracings of the client's good leg, I would shape the foam blocks to match it -- paying special attention to underlying bones and musculature. This foam "sculpture" would then be "fitted" on the client and returned to me for more work, until we had a matching leg -- satisfactory to the client. (Our female clients usually wanted their artificial limbs made thinner and shapelier than their real leg!)

After achieving the satisfactory model, I would then use a special product, applied with an automotive type spray-paint gun. I would mix a matching natural skin tone and spray this "skin" onto the foam "flesh." This was a slow process of building up layers until the foam flesh was covered with a very realistic skin. It was a long, smelly process, but well worth the effort because the prosthesis was hard to distinguish from the client's real leg. It was satisfying to see a lady client, wearing a dress, nylon stockings, and shoes, and to not be able to tell which leg was the prosthesis. It was creative and rewarding work.

Things were going well at home, too. We had left the apartment in town and had moved to a little house in the country. We bought an Old English Sheepdog puppy and named him Billy-Boy. We also got a kitten we named Tiger.

I very much wanted Amy and Sarah to enjoy the country life, as I had when I was a kid. Of course, that had to include a dog and a cat!

Amy would stand at the laundry room window and call "Biwwy-Boy!" and Billy-Boy would come running and put his feet up on the window sill. Amy was learning to walk and to talk.

Billy Boy would launch sneak attacks on Sarah and she would attempt to block him by kicking him in the teeth. On the east side of the yard were horses in a pasture. Sarah liked to feed handfuls of green grass, plucked from the yard, to the horses.

On the south side of our back yard there were Hereford cattle in another pasture. The cattle would come and peer over the fence at the strange little dog with hidden eyes.

Beyond the horse pasture we could see a forested mountainside that rose from the far side of the Columbia River. The river was about a mile away and it was at least a mile wide. There was a beautiful sandy beach on our side of the river, where our little family and "Biwwy-Boy" frequently went for walks. We watched in awe as ocean going ships and commercial fishing boats sailed past, throwing large waves up onto the beach.

When my parents were visiting, we were enjoying a campfire on the beach when two ships met. The waves came up onto the beach and washed the fire away. Weekends, there were usually several sailboarders riding on the wind and the waves. On one early morning walk, an ultra-light aircraft flew up the beach, and just over our heads.

The river went in and out with the Pacific Ocean tide. One day when I tried my luck fishing off the end of an old pier, I enjoyed the company of a seal that would pop up every once in a while -- apparently to see if I was catching any fish. I never did catch a fish, but I nearly got stranded on the pier when the tide came in and cut me off from the shore.

Sarah did catch a fish -- in a ditch near our house. It was a bullhead, the first fish she'd ever caught.

Just across our driveway, in front of the house, was a beautiful farm place with a white farm house and a red barn. The yard had lots of flowering rhododendrons and roses.

Just beyond the farmyard was a railroad. The kids could stand in our yard and wave at the trains. The engineers would wave back and blow their whistles. Beyond the railroad there were steep, tree-covered hills rising up out of the river bottom on which we lived. I enjoyed sitting in our living room and watching the wispy fog move through the trees on the hillsides.

Evenings, after work, I worked on my paintings in the tumble down garage next to the house. I carved and painted animal portraits on old wood, much of which we had picked up on the beach. I painted with latex house paints. We took the paintings to art boutiques on the coast, where I sold quite a number of them.

The house was a tiny, red house with white trim. It was intimate. We liked how it brought us together as a family.

Sherry had our freezer full of food. We had gone to a farm on Sauvie Island on the Columbia River and bought 15 pounds of green beans, 10 pounds of broccoli, six cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini and apples -- all for $12. While we lived in Scapoose, Sherry had worked Saturdays picking strawberries on a strawberry farm, where she was paid $1.75 per flat. A flat weighed 12 pounds. She bought plenty of strawberries for our freezer. Jim and Edith gave us a beef liver, still hot and steaming, right out of a freshly butchered steer. They also had given us several grocery bags of grapes from their vineyard, and we had an abundance of blackberries that grew wild nearby.

We were invited by friends in Washington, just across the river, to go smelt fishing with them. We netted and brought home buckets and buckets of the migrating smelt, which we cleaned and froze until our freezer was full to the top. We would have plenty to eat for the near future! I even dug leftover smelt into a garden spot I was preparing in the back yard. But digging was slow.

I was having a lot of back pain!

After a weekend of bicycling at the ocean beach with friends, my leg muscles were tight from over exertion. The tightness of the muscles in my legs, combined with lifting a 100 pound bag of Plaster-of-Paris at work, injured something in my back.

At my employer's recommendation, I saw an orthopedic specialist. He practiced medicine from his wheelchair and saw our clients at the orthotic-prosthetic shop about once a week. He worked me into his schedule and confirmed that, "yes," I had a back injury. He set me up for physical therapy, three times a week.

I wasn't supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds, including our baby -- Amy!

The orthopedic doctor also suspected some additional problems -- with my nervous system. I was referred to a medical doctor for a checkup. I'd been having trouble with my memory, headaches, and nausea. Although life was good, I seemed to be under a dark shadow of discouragement.

The medical doctor suspected I had "early onset dementia" and "depression." The exposure to toxic chemicals in the workplace was suspect. I was referred to a neurologist.

My employer got the drift that I was having health problems -- possibly related to the chemicals I was working with. His shop was still under construction and the ventilation system was temporary and probably not adequate yet. He contacted his attorney. The next day when I came to work he said that, at the recommendation of his attorney, he was laying me off.

"Effective immediately."

It was just seven months since I had earned my "permanent" job status.

Billy-Boy & Sarah, left; Tiger & Billy-Boy at window, right.

This and That
by Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Elaine with Castor Bean plants.

Growing Castor Beans

One of my favorite plants to grow is the Castor Bean. It is one that attracts the eyes of many people as they go walking or driving past the front of my house.

Castor beans can grow to various heights. If they get a lot of rain, they will grow very tall. They have large, pointed leaves and remind one of tropical plants as they sway in the breeze.

Since they are so slow to start, I usually buy a couple started plants at the greenhouse. They require little care after that ... just enjoy watching them grow!

Since they are an annual plant, they will freeze after the first hard frost. Then I easily saw the stem off (like a bamboo stem) with a pruning saw and the branches will strip off quite easily for hauling to the compost.

One doesn't see many of them around our town, so they are interesting to observe.

Photo Editor's Note: Seeds, bark and leaves are all somewhat toxic, but the greatest concentration of the toxin occurs in the seeds and their pods. If you grow Castor Beans in your garden, it is safest to remove and destroy the seed pods before they mature.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days:
October 10---Columbus Day (observed)

This Week's Birthdays:
October 10---Hannah Aydelotte (4 years)
October 10---Cody Printz
October 12---Muriel Wold Rodriguez
October 12--- Tami Anderson Hunt
October 14---Douglas Anderson-Jordet
October 14---Verlaine Weiland
Happy Birthday!

More October Birthdays:
October 1---Brooklynn Ann Johnson (1 year)
October 4---Wesley Sigman
October 5---Leona Anderson
October 5---Steven Miller
October 7---Steven Anderson

October 18---Lori Anderson
October 18---Adriana Stahlecker Brown
October 18---Diana Mellon Martin
October 18---Dan Mellon
October 20---Wade Morgan Printz
October 22---Rich Johnson (from MN)
October 24---Eric Shockey
October 26---Ardis Sigman Quick
October 27---Marlene Anderson Johnson
October 27---Rich Weiland
October 28---Derrick McNeill
October 29---Sami Larson (11 years)
October 29---Tom Miller
October 30---Anne Mellon Montford

October Anniversaries
October 1---Keith Mason and Lori Anderson (next year)
October 4---Don and Patty Bratten Anderson (8 years)
October 5---Tom and Lou Miller (32 years)

October 17---Troy and Marlee Morgan Freesemann (11 years)
October 27---Don and Gert Dake Pettit (15 years)

More October Special Days
October 31---Hallowe'en

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

I want to tell you about a very special day trip we made last Thursday from Minneapolis to Alexandria. Not too far, and we had a great trip, even with Roy's weak left side. He is such a good driver I never even realize his left hand is not very useful.

We were invited by our friends Gene and Ruthy Baker, to see their new home. They really are still newlyweds. We asked them to take us over to see Don and Dorothy Anderson in the afternoon so I could see this famous Minnesota headquarters for The Bulletin. I had imagined it, but never expected to ever actually see it, but we did.

We drove up to the building and Don dropped a key over the balcony so he wouldn't have to walk all the way to open up for us. Just seeing the building was such a thrill for me at long last. The lower balcony is the Andersons'.

The Andersons' balcony is on the lower level.

The next picture you will see shows Dorothy at her computer with The Bulletin on the screen. She has everything so organized and handy.

I was so excited to finally see this Matriarch and Editor in person and in action. She showed me what she does, and then told me all that the Photo Editor, Jerrianne in the Alaska Bulletin headquarters, did. I can see it takes the best of both of them to produce our fantastic production every single week.

I was pretty happy when Dorothy let me stand beside her for a picture. Does it get any better than this?

The Matriarch at The Bulletin HQ; with Betty, right.

Just wanted to share with others that may not have seen this home of The Bulletin, so decided to send Miss Hetty a letter. I am back to earth now, but it is a great memory to have been there. Oh yes, the coffee and coffee cake was excellent, too.

Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Miss Hetty Says

Has anyone tried making omelets in a Ziploc ® from the recipe that ran last week? I was planning to try that, but then I got to worrying about whether it would actually work out or not. So I asked Miss Kitty what she thought. She said Miss Jerrianne tried it out in their kitchen at home and it worked out just fine. Now they want to take that recipe camping.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

For the first time in a while, I had time to give The Bulletin the time it deserves ... and it was time well spent.

Some Observations:

I enjoyed My Auntie's take on keepsakes. We have a cigar box for that purpose. I know it sounds corny, but we really do!

Talkeetna sounds like a nice place to visit and kiss a moose or two.

It's good to see the younger generation taking interest in the time-honored sport of fishing. Congratulations on your fish, Jayce -- what a beauty!

Mindy sounds like quite a big-wig at her job. I liked the interview format, by the way.

Sounds like Zach has found his niche ... it was nice to hear from him; it's been awhile.

I like Ginny's graphic art; it adds "pizzaz" to the text. Is she on staff?

Editor's comment: we broached the subject to her. She is thinking it over -- and trying it out!

Once again, thanks for being the cement that holds us all together. Kudos!

Doug Anderson-Jordet
St. Cloud, MN

I received a Bulletin packet yesterday, and devoured it page by page last night. Enjoyed it so! Especially the story about Patty and Don. God certainly does work in unusual ways! Their log home is absolutely beautiful and certainly "storybook" in appearance. What a gem! They must enjoy it so very much.

Diana Mellon Martin
Brook Park, MN

Glad to see Beaver's back this week, I really enjoy reading his stories. Larry Dake -- bank robber? I got a good chuckle over that comment in his story! Great job, Jayce! I don't know what Shawn was talking about; that fish was almost as big as Jayce. I spotted it right away! As always, I got a kick out of the Foto-Funnies. I don't know everyone who contributes to The Bulletin, but I still enjoy reading about their families and activities.

"Great job" to you and everyone who contributes to The Bulletin! I look forward to it every week.

Melanie Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

Rich and I have enjoyed your Bulletin so much! But I had some bad luck... I was "housecleaning" our e-mails -- and by horrible mistake deleted all of my e-mail.

Is there any way that I could possibly get the last Issue of The Bulletin mailed to us? Millions of thanks if it is possible -- and I guess we will "survive somehow" if it isn't!

Verlaine Weiland
Coon Rapids, MN

Editor's Note: I sent Verlaine the missing Bulletin and these notes were exchanged:

I have enrolled you for a subscription and I have sent you last week's copy of The Bulletin ... enjoy.

Verlaine said: YOU are WONDERFUL! Can you imagine in 100 years how PRECIOUS your inspiring Bulletin will be? It will never die!

Photo Editor's Note: And you can always find a link to the current Bulletin -- and all the back issues, and much more, here:

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I am really sorry to be so slow with this LTTE, but we have been so occupied with the yard chores in preparation for winter, etc., that sitting at the computer seemed too much of a luxury at the time. But now we hear there will be quite a storm (groan) tomorrow, and then Wednesday through Sunday we will be at Eagle Bend convention, so better take advantage of this evening while Roy reads the newest Consumer Reports. He loves doing the jigsaw puzzle on the computer, so I would share if he came to see the one for today, but he's busy....

I can't believe how Bitzi did it again. The beautiful creation on the front page is unbelievable. So simple, and yet so attractive. I can see she could be recruited to have one for each month! I noticed it was the same leaves as last week, but more added ... which is so typical of more falling leaves in October now. That beautiful lime green scroll through it all is so artistic. Thank you for such a meaningful reminder that this year is on its way out -- almost.

I was showing my niece, Marci Veldkamp Weiland, the leaves Bitzi made, and then she paged through The Bulletin and was so happy to see Elaine Wold in there. She said she knew Elaine when she was up in Fargo for schooling.

Here are Steve; Marci; Shalana, 8; and Krista, 5, Weiland. They live in Ham Lake. Steve is Richard and Verlaine's son.

Shalana, Steve, Marci, and Krista Weiland.

Larry's story was a success again. Kept us in suspense as usual. We are glad he had presence of mind enough to get his money when he did. And then what? And then what?

Roy did come in to the den here, so I thought I would have to stop this, but he said he was in no hurry! So here I go some more.

Wasn't that fish story the cutest?? I had to look a long time to find the fish, ha. I was thinking it was flopping in the net or something. It would make lifelong memories for Jayce.

That Kitchen Patrol story was hilarious. We loved it, and now we're spoiled, so we'll be looking for another episode in the life of Beaver Johnson. He makes it pretty vivid and interesting.

I am so amazed at Miss Kitty. To think she could write that great story on Talkeetna, Alaska. Never a dull moment in HER life, it doesn't sound like, and even only from the vantage point of the van, she saw plenty -- so it made an interesting story. I would like to know what Miss Sharon and Miss Jerrianne had for meals, but of course Miss Kitty wouldn't even know, stuck clear out there in the van with probably just a dry old treat. Of course she didn't complain ... was even taking naps, etc., whenever she wanted to. The picture of Nagley's Store looked like those Old West greeting card pictures.

I must say the Foto Funnies was the funniest one yet. We laughed so hard at that snowman not appreciating the friendly dog breath. Marci and Steve got a real laugh out of that one, too. We need the humor side of The Bulletin, too. I like the quotation for the day, too. Do you need any? I have some I could send in -- but you likely have quite a supply of those.

This is just so nothing. Sorry, but between being tired and being rushed and being Monday already, I am sort of out of steam to be writing this LTTE. We do very much appreciate all the time and effort it takes to put it together each week with no mistakes, and always so interesting. Marci exclaimed, "EVERY WEEK?" when she asked how often it came. I remember my shock, too, in it being every single week, and always so interesting.

I will send a Miss Hetty letter about a very special day trip we made last week, Thursday.



Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions of The Bulletin in the web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within. --Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.