Engaged: Jessy Wolff & Chris Chap

UPDATE -- Engaged to be married
by Chris Chap & Jessy Wolff
Fargo, ND

We're engaged! Chris proposed to Jessy on Saturday, February 18, 2006. The night started with dinner at the Cork-N-Cleaver. We both had a nice steak dinner and Jessy had no idea of what was coming next. On the way home, Chris decided that he would like to get some ice cream. Jessy normally would be up for a sweet treat after dinner, but since we had such a big meal, she declined on the offer. Being that this was all part of the plan, Chris said that he would still like to stop to get some ice cream.

This wasn't just any ice cream shop; it was the ice cream shop that we had visited on one of our first dates together. The first time we stopped there, we were with another couple and had talked about how we felt like two little old couples stopping to get ice cream. So, Chris went in and got his ice cream, while Jessy waited patiently in the car. When Chris came out, he got in the car and turned the radio off. Jessy was wondering what was going on and was shocked to hear what words came out of Chris's mouth next. Chris had told the story about their previous visit and then asked if Jessy would be the one to grow old together with him and asked her to be his wife.

With no hesitation, Jessy said yes, and then the phone calls began. Jessy immediately called her mother, and then proceeded to call all three of her sisters. Every one of her family members seemed extremely happy with the news and we're sure that they were all thinking the same thing: it's about time! Chris also made some phone calls to update his family members, but it wasn't as much of a surprise to them, as he had already told them earlier in the week that he would be asking for her hand in marriage.

No date has been picked as of yet, because we first need to decide on where we would like to get married. As soon as we figure out the date, we will be sure to write in to The Bulletin and make the announcement.

UPDATE -- Coni's chemotherapy begins
by Weston Johnson
at the National Cancer Institute
Bethesda, MD

Thursday night: Coni has made it through the three longest days of her week out here. Now she just has a couple of relatively easy days and we'll be on our way back home on Sunday.

Tuesday started with a Sestamibi test, which is a three-hour long series of scans that will tell the doctors if the Tariquadar is working properly. What is Tariquadar? It's the agent that's being tested in the study out here -- the one that is supposed to keep Coni's cells from pumping out the chemotherapy so it can stay in the cells longer and fight the cancer more effectively. She had one Sestamibi test Tuesday and another on Thursday, after the Tariquadar has had a chance to start working, so they can see how it's working.

Next, Coni's PICC line was put in place -- this is the IV through which the chemotherapy is being administered. Once the PICC line was in, she received her first dose of Tariquadar; then the nurse hooked her up to the chemotherapy IV. The chemo IV lasts for 24 hours, so Coni has a fanny pack that needs to be with her 24 hours a day all week. She'll go back once a day to get the IV bag in the fanny pack replaced with a full bag.

After the long day on Tuesday, Coni was able to sleep in on Wednesday; then we met with Dr. Fojo and his team. Dr. Fojo (pronounced Fo-ho) is in charge of the study Coni is participating in. He was very impressed with the results of her surgery and how quickly she has recovered. He gave us quite a bit of information, as far as what to expect as Coni proceeds with her treatments. We also got information related to nutrition, wigs, avoiding germs and a lot of other helpful info.

After the meeting, Coni had her chemo IV bag changed -- the end of the first day! She had the same nurse (Lola) she had the previous day. Coni really likes her, and it is nice to start getting to know some of the staff so we see some familiar faces.

Today Coni had her second Sestamibi test, which took up a big part of the day. Then we went for a consultation with "The Wig Lady" and Coni picked out a wig. One of the nice perks of being in the study out here is they buy her a free wig, and they are nice wigs that would normally cost several hundred dollars. We were even able to find a wig that closely matches her hair color. No one will even be able to tell if/when Coni loses her hair!

At the end of the day, Lola hooked Coni up to IV #3. Friday and Saturday, we only have to go back to NIH once each day to get the bag changed, which only takes about 1/2 hour, so like I said, the longest days are behind us.

Thank you to everyone who continues to send thoughts, prayers and messages our way. We are looking forward to getting home and seeing everyone again!


UPDATE -- great job news!
by Eric Anderson
Brooklyn Park, MN

I got a job! Just this afternoon I got a call from Lerner Publishing Group and I was offered a position in their small accounting department.

Lerner is a children's book publisher in Minneapolis, just north of downtown. They're a small, family-owned company that's been in business for going on 50 years.

I'm really excited to be starting at this job. It's what I want to do and what I've been trained to do, and the pay is very competitive, so yes, I'm very happy.

I want to thank everyone for being so supportive during this rough stretch for us. Hopefully from here on things will be a little better.


Editor's Note: Congratulations, Eric; we are all glad for you. Let us know how it goes!

Ryan in Texas, left; with Tom & Mavis Morgan & Jessica Nelson, right.

COLLEGE UPDATE -- and more great job news!
by Ryan Hellevang
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN

Hello, Bulletin!

It has been a long time since I have written (as I am reminded often) so I hope to catch you up on all that has transpired.

I am in my final semester at the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota. I will be graduating in May with a BSB double major in Management Information Systems and Supply Chain Management. MIS is really my main major but there is a lot of overlap class-wise with Supply Chain and it makes easy to get both and pad the resume a bit. For those who haven't heard my spiel, MIS is a combination of computers and business.

I interviewed with Microsoft on campus in the fall and got to fly down to Texas in December for a second-round interview. I had a great time on Microsoft's tab and found out after I got back that I had been offered a position. I will be starting with Microsoft in Fargo in July as a Technical Account Manager. This means that I will be working with companies who pay for Microsoft support to ensure that their systems are working correctly. It's nice to be close to home, as well, in Fargo.

Jessica is leaving for Chile on a student exchange program this Saturday (and will have left by the time you read this). She will be there for 10 months to solidify her Spanish skills. It is a big adventure for her and all of us will miss her while she is gone. I'm planning a trip down there to see her sometime between when I graduate and start working.

I'm looking forward to getting out on my own and supporting myself instead of just falling further into debt each year. They say education is one of the best investments a person can make; I certainly hope they're right!

For those that are interested, I have a website with a blog (web log) which I update regularly with news about myself and pictures from various places I go and of things that I do and see. Jessica will be putting some pictures from Chile up there and I'm sure that my own pictures from Chile will be up there after I get back. You can check them out by visiting my:

Main Page:

Jessica & Ryan on vacation in Florida during winter break.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna M. Johnson
Don & Beaver taking Patty out for her first snowshoeing experience. She said it was a LOT more work than they made it sound like it would be. Plus, they kept her out for an HOUR walk! What a way to break her in. Good job, Patty!

Weekend Visitors

We had weekend visitors, starting with Shari, Sami and Donna Richardson on Friday night. On their arrival, I had hot homemade vegetable beef soup to warm them up, being it was one of the coldest nights we've had this winter. Lots of visiting amongst the older set and the younger ones spent some hours playing, before we turned in for the night.

In the morning, Shari, Donna and I headed out to do some shopping, browsing through the store called, "Yesterdays." Shari had some great luck, finding a beautiful table and several other smaller items. After checking out both stores and both floors in each store, we headed next door for our lunch and more visiting!

When we got back to the farm, Eddie and Peggy had already arrived and were visiting with Beaver. Within minutes, Don and Patty and then Duane, Ingrid and Ashlee showed up. It was so fun to see everyone!

Don and Patty made us a fantastic three course gourmet meal with big, beautiful strawberries for dessert. Duane and Ingrid also brought an appetizer and chips, so needless to say, we were wonderfully fed and I didn't even have to cook anything! I think Don will be sharing the recipes he used, along with pictures, sometime in the near future. They were scrumptious! I told them I'd really love to move in with them for a year, so I'd lose like they are and be able to eat like a queen in the meanwhile!

By Sunday afternoon, all of our company had departed, leaving the house sounding very quiet! Thanks all for the nice visit; we enjoyed having you. Who's coming next?

Photos © Donna M. Johnson
Ashlee Miller, cuddled up next to her mother, Ingrid, left. She was a tuckered out little girl from all her hard playing. Ingrid was trying to study for her nursing class; amongst all the jabbering going on, she said she kept reading the same thing over and over! Midnight found a new friend, right, and Shari found a good way to stay warm!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN


I found these photos of Dan Mellon's grandsons, the Montford boys, in a file that I had unintentionally sent them to. They were meant to run in October of last year when we received them. It could have been a busy week and I forgot them. It is probably a rather odd time to be running them, but they really are too cute to toss.

Photos ©Dan Mellon
Aiden, in Hallowe'en PJ'S, age 2, left; Austin at 6 weeks (born 8/5/05), right.

Dear Dan,

I have a confession to make to you. I will tell you how all this happened...

First: I needed a form to claim my rebate for the computer. Second: It required me to download the Adobe Reader... Third: As part of their program, they installed a photo album to store the things I now have in my photo file. Fourth: I can now view all of the attached photos in full screen... Fifth: I started to look at all my stored photos everywhere to really get to see them ... and that is where I found my mistake and the need for confession.

In a file of old photos that I have used in the past, I found two (one of each) of your two Royal Princes -- Aiden and Austin [Montford]. They must have come to me at about Hallowe'en time ... and never saw The Bulletin. Well, I guess I could have tossed them and pretended I never saw them ... but my conscience wouldn't let me do that ... and they are too cute not to use, so I sent them to Jerrianne ... and we will figure some way to use them.

Please forgive me for misplacing those cuties' pictures.


Dear Dorothy,

No need to apologize. I am the Membership Chairman of my golf club and recently discovered a member's application that had been in my glove compartment for two months. It caused the guy some inconvenience and he was quite gracious about it. Anyway, I can relate. Let me send you a recent picture of Austin (6 months) I am quite proud of. It is my plan to embarrass him with this someday.


Photo ©Dan Mellon
Isn't this the cutest picture? Austin Montford is my first cousin, three times removed. His mom is the daughter of Dan and Nancy Mellon. His parents are Julian and Anne (Mellon) Montford ... and his big brother is Aiden. --DMA

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Thanks again for your undying efforts with The Bulletin. The "Mystery" is no mystery any longer!  On the left is Mrs. Florence Miller -- mother of Carolyn, wife of Ernie Dake (next couple in picture) and the next couple are my long, long-time friends Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy Dake (parents of Ernie).
Great pictures and it is always a joy to bring back such wonderful memories! 
Tom and Lou Miller
Madera, CA

Thanks to Ginny McCorkell for supplying this photo from her brother Ernie's graduation.

Loved the picture! That's Florence Miller, her daughter, Carolyn Miller Dake, Ernie Dake and Vonnie and LeRoy Dake. Handsome lot!

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

FOR SURE, I KNOW THE GUESS PICTURE THIS TIME. Dear Florence Miller, and there is Ernie and Carolyn and LeRoy and Vonnie Dake. Now that's more the ages that I remember them the best. What a nice picture!

Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Wow, were we ever really that young? The picture is Ernie and I and our parents. My mom [Florence Miller] is on the left and looks so young and great. Ernie's folks [LeRoy and Vonnie Dake] are on the right. They don't look much older then we did! I believe this picture was taken in my mom's basement the night she had a party for Ernie's college graduation. We were visiting home while we were in the process of moving from New Mexico to Wyoming. Oh, so long ago.

Thanks for sharing that picture.

Carolyn Miller Dake
Duluth, GA

No LTD Storybrooke this week. Larry said he needed more time to get his ducks in a row. Luckily, Beaver already had his duck lined up and ready to roll.

The Duck And The Lieutenant
By Beaver

The word came down that the Squadron Commander would be inspecting our barracks Saturday morning. All week we spent our free time getting everything cleaned, arranged, and ready. My two roommates and I were up early Saturday morning, nervously taking care of the finishing touches. The floor was waxed to a high shine. Lockers were arranged to perfection. Shiny boots stood at attention under tightly made bunks. Not a speck of dust was in sight. Our fatigue uniforms were starched until they would easily stand by themselves. Our personal gear on the room's one shelf was arranged with care. The only thing we had forgotten was our mascot.

Finally the big moment arrived. Ten - hut! We snapped to attention, each standing ramrod straight at the head of our bunk, not moving so much as an eyelash. The First Sergeant, a grizzled veteran, marched through the door. Following right on his heels was the Commander, a First Lieutenant who looked like he could be a high school underclassman. The silence was deafening, the stillness breathtaking.

The Lieutenant and the First Sergeant carefully inspected the room and our gear. One of my roommates had a huge pair of sandals made out of old car tire treads. He had lined them up under his bunk with his boots, taking the place of his Government Issue shower thongs. The Lieutenant looked twice at them, and then seemed to decide to let it go. Just as the Lieutenant and the First Sergeant turned to leave, it happened.

Have you ever seen one of those little yellow ducks that rocks on an axle and dips its head into a glass of water? Remember how the duck sits still for several minutes until its last sip of water has evaporated, and then it rocks sharply forward for another drink? Well, just as we thought we had it made, our mascot, the stupid duck, decided to have a drink! We had forgotten to move him away from the water!

The Lieutenant caught the movement out of the corner of his eye, and just about broke his neck doing a double take and swiveling to try to see what it was. When he finally figured out what had moved, he didn't know what to say!

He glared at each of us in turn, looked back at the yellow duck, looked at the First Sergeant, and then looked us all over again. We were poker faced; he couldn’t decide if we were funning him or not! Finally, through trembling lips, he spluttered something about displaying "car tire things," and with a parting dirty look at all of us, out the door he went. The First Sergeant followed him with a last backward glance, a vestigial smile flitting across his face.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Ruth (Miller) Collings, one of our father's first cousins, gave me a copy of a 12-page manuscript her father had written of his growing up years (1890s) in Eagle Lake Township, near Ashby, Minnesota. This is the second excerpt from his manuscript, written from memory in 1960. Any words within square brackets were added later, by me. --Jerrianne

On November 1, 1960, our great uncle Edward W. Miller wrote:

At the request of my children, I am making an attempt to write a history of my life, going as far back in my childhood as my memory will take me. I have no diary so must depend entirely on my memory, hit only the high spots as they come to mind, and make a guess as to dates.

by Edward W. Miller
Ontario, CA

I was born January 9, 1882, near the town of Ashby, Minnesota. The country was new, with not too many settlers and still many opportunities to homestead land. There was also what was called school land that could be bought. To the east were a few Norwegians and to the west was a settlement of Swedes. About 30 miles to the south a few Germans had located. That was quite a distance in those days, and we did not see very much of them.

My parents were both of German descent. My father [August Miller] came to America when he was quite young. If my memory is correct, Father first came when he was 14 years old and then returned to his native Germany. Later, he came back. It is quite probable that Father entered the United States through a southern port. As a very small child I heard him tell of various places he had been in the southern states.

From what my mother told me, it seems that Father ran away from home to come to America. [It seems likely that he wanted to avoid conscription into the Prussian Army ... two of his uncles had already died in battle.] Mother told me that his parents were quite well to do. His only sister inherited the estate, which may have been the reason he was always reluctant to talk about his family and childhood.

My mother's maiden name was Emma Neller. She was raised in southern Minnesota. Her parents were born in Germany but emigrated from there to Wisconsin and then Minnesota. They located on land about 11 miles north of Austin. The land was covered with native timber that had to be cleared away before crops could be planted.

I well remember Grandfather Neller's first house built of logs. My daughter Ruthie and I each have a small bowl that I turned [on a lathe] several years ago from a piece of one of the old logs that was saved when the house was torn down.

I was about 10 years old when a new and much larger house was built. By that time, most of the timber had been cleared off, and the land was under cultivation, with the exception of a few acres of grove that had been retained around the farm buildings for shelter. The trees were mainly oak, and one year they became infected by worms, and every one died.

How my father and mother first met, I, of course, do not know. I presume in his travels to see the country, Father finally landed at my grandfather's place and very likely was in need of a job. In this way they got acquainted, finally married [on December 25, 1880], and then moved to northern Minnesota where Father bought a little country grist mill. It was located about seven miles from Ashby, which was the railroad station on the Great Northern. This was probably about 1880. Father was soon joined by my Uncle Ed [Neller] as a partner in the mill.

Emma (Neller) Miller, 1862-1937, left; August Miller, 1850-1929, right.

Travelogue t

Greg Dake and Sonja Maness left Raleigh, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

View across Huangpu River at night, Shanghai, China.

Dinner on Tuesday
(posted by Sonja)

Dinner Tuesday night was interesting, if rather stilted. The food was excellent, if exotic, and far and away the most expensive meal we've had so far. If I recall correctly, the sign going in the restaurant (Tang Dynasty) said 250RMB per person. That probably didn't include the beverages or the wine. Greg and Fred picked me up in the taxi they took from work at 6:30 p.m. and we rode the two blocks to the restaurant. Fred had never eaten there before, either, or knew where it was, so it was lucky that Greg and I had noticed the entrance to it on our outing Monday night.

The restaurant is on the second floor of the building, with elevators to get there from the ground floor. I don't know about the rest of the restaurant because we were ushered straight into a private dining room from the elevator. We sat at a round table with a large glass "lazy susan" in the middle. The waitress served hot corn juice and very weak hot green tea. (It didn't look or taste much different than hot water). The corn juice tasted, well, like corn juice. It seemed to be liquified corn with salt and sugar, not thick, but not exactly watery thin either.

The appetizers started to be brought in then. I don't recall now what order they came, but it wasn't long before the entire glass was covered in dishes. I think the jellyfish was first to come in, come to think of it. I had no idea what it was, and neither did Greg. We asked, and were told what it was. We bravely each took a piece. It is hard to describe the consistency of it. It was sort of rubbery like overcooked calamari, but not in an unpleasant way. It was kind of crunchy as well. It had been cooked with spices and had a definite soy and citrus flavor to it. Later, Greg's brother-in-law told me, in game in WoW, he had avoided the jellyfish dishes when he was stationed in Korea, because it looked like a bowl of snot to him. After he said that, I thought, yeah, it pretty much did!

A platter of roasted shrimp was brought in, pretty large shrimp, roasted in the shell with head cut off but tail and legs remaining. It was kind of black-peppery, but good. Greg didn't try it; he doesn't like seafood, especially shellfish. I said that was okay, I wouldn't let his go to waste, and ate a few more pieces. :) Then we had vegetables brought in, looked like slivered green beans but might not have been. The plate was arranged like a pyramid with the green on top, and red and white vegetables under. I ate a bit of it, don't remember much so it might have been pretty "normal" tasting. Roast pork was brought in, that was glazed in a kind of sweet jelly. It was good, very rich and sweet. Chicken in a pot was brought in, steamed, with a lot of bones but not much meat. Neck bones, maybe. It tasted just like chicken, though. :)

Broiled fish, looked like flounder, with the skin and fins still on. Wasn't deboned, so I didn't eat much at first. Then Greg pointed out how our hosts were eating it -- pick it up by the fin/edge and pull the meat into your mouth while pulling the bones out. Worked much better. Scallops on a shell, battered and fried, on a bed of sweetened fruit. The fruit was a nice contrast to the scallop flavor.

Spare ribs, and BBQ ribs were later brought out. Both tasted much like American ribs. By this time most of the platters had been seafood. Jenny, the executive who arranged this, felt sorry for Greg and ordered him a steak. The steak was cooked just outside our dining room on a charcoal brazier), we saw the big WHOOSH of flame as it was dropped on the grill. Greg ate the steak when it came in, but it was still nothing like an American steak. It was very thin, cut in an odd way, and drowned in black pepper-type sauce.

The best thing of the night, in my opinion, was the sea urchin. The meat of the urchin was, it seemed, deep fried and placed beside the shell, with all the spines on the shell left intact. It reminded me of something from Iron Chef. The shell was filled with a creamy soup, which was good, but not as good as the actual meat of the urchin.

Dessert was, first, a very sweet clear soup with small chewy dumplings in it. The dumplings took a LONG time to chew enough to swallow and they stuck all over the inside of your mouth. We also had a walnut cookie bread that had been baked into the shape of a walnut shell. It was very good. The final thing was not sweet, but a small bowl of what tasted like chicken stock. It was actually a good way to end the meal, after the cloying sweetness of the dumpling dish. It cleared all the sweet and sticky from your mouth.

Here's what I remember of what we ate tonight:
jellyfish with spices
pork with sweet jelly
assorted veggies
chicken -- NOT the feet
roasted shrimp
crab in shell in hot pepper sauce
scallop on shell with fruit
BBQ ribs
spare ribs and sticky rice
peppery soup with different meats
sea urchin, and soup in its shell on the side
pork slices with spicy hot sauce
dumpling soup dessert
walnut cookie
bamboo shoots with tofu and ham
chicken stock soup

To drink:

corn juice
red wine
green tea, very weak

The people Greg is working with were kind enough to send home a list of the prices I should be able to get at the Xiang Yang market I went to Tuesday. As I feared, I got ripped off on my T-shirt purchase, but it was a learning experience. The list he brought home said T-shirts should cost 25RMB each and I paid 50RMB each. Oh well. I'm much better prepared now. They even put the booth numbers for the "better fakes" sold.

(Note to self -- write about how chicken I am about trying out my measly Mandarin skills. Ni hau (hello) and xiexie ni (thank you) is about the most I've been brave enough to say, and not often at that.)

to be continued...

Along the river at night in Shanghai.

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we will also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log:

Ary tends flowering orchids and lilies in the garden center.

Greetings from the Netherlands
by Ary Ommert, Jr.
Maassluis, The Netherlands

It as been some time ago since you got an update from me. One of the reasons was the busy time around Christmas at work and the second reason was that I couldn't add pictures to an article.

Well, I bought a new camera and everything works now. I enjoy reading The Bulletin every week and seeing what's happening across the ocean.

In The Bulletin from last week, no. 192, I was surprised with an article from Dorothy about their trip to the town of Ens and see there what had to be done to make land from the sea. When you see the polders in the IJsselmeer or Zuiderzee, now it has developed into a rich farming area. Also many people live there now. There is still space to build new houses and the roads are good for people who use them for going to work.

At work we are now working to get everything ready for spring. You see many bright colors coming back such as applegreen, orange, yellow, pink and purple. As you may see, it looks very colourful inside the shop. Home decorations, garden furniture, pots for plants all in those bright colors.

In the house plants, we had our busy period right after Christmas; the living room looked empty without the tree and many plants were bought to fill it up. Now it's slowing down and the past weeks I used to take some days off.

On the enclosed pictures you can see part of the shop with the new colours in pots.

Greetings from the Netherlands,


Ary with brightly colored flower pots for spring in the Netherlands.

Skinny Recipes  6
from Donnie Anderson
Isanti, MN

Salmon With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Difficulty rating: 1
Quick, easy main dish, minimal prep time needed. Serve with green beans and Cauliflower and Green Onion Mash (recipe below photo).
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
cooking spray
2 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine first 6 ingredients on jelly roll pan that has been coated with cooking spray; toss to coat tomatoes.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
4. Add fish to pan. Bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until fish is flaky when tested with a fork.
5. Serve the tomatoes over the fish. Drizzle with lemon juice.

Servings 2, calories 265, fat 12.6g, fiber 1.8g. W.W. points = 6 per serving

Photo ©Donald L. Anderson
Salmon With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Cauliflower & Green Onion Mash

Cauliflower & Green Onion Mash
Difficulty rating: 1
Here's a great side dish that is a fine replacement for mashed potatoes, although the slightly coarser texture reminds me of a rice pilaf.
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1-1/2 lbs. cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup 1% or skim milk
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Toss cauliflower, garlic, and oil in a large bowl, then dump mixture onto a jellyroll pan and bake at 500 degrees, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
3. Place cooked mixture back in bowl, add onions and remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher.

Servings 4 (3/4 cup), calories 93, fat 3.9g, fiber 4.8g. W.W. points = 1 per serving

Any Questions? E-mail Donnie:

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
February 28---Eric Anderson
March 1---Betty Weiland Droel
March 2---Tom W. Miller
March 3---Donald W. Anderson

Happy Birthday!

This Week's
February 26---Tim and Char Morgan Myron (23 years)
February 28---Junior and Doris Anderson (44 years)
March 3---Mike and Kelley Seaman (5 years)


More March Birthdays
March 6---Jerrianne Lowther
March 11---Kjirsten Swenson
March 12---Jolene Johnson
March 18---Janie Anderson
March 21---Rachel Henderson
March 23---Colette Huseby
March 28---Donna Anderson Johnson
March 31---Linda Knutson

More March Anniversaries
March 14---Brian and Melanie Birkholz Lehtola (4 years)
March 15---Dan and Gina Henderson (1 year)
March 26---Stanley and Janice Dake (36 years)

March Special Days
March 17---St. Patrick's Day
March 20---First Day of Spring

Miss Hetty Says

The internal search engine has been updated to include the February issues.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Letter to the Editor's Husband:

You Call it Winter Wonderland? -- now, Donald --

Personally, I think Mayo Clinic has a room for you! It's in the Senior Mentally Challenged Ward!

They told us in Sociology Class in college that most people like the season best in which they were born. Obviously, you must have arrived in JANUARY! Well, you can't help that, I suppose, since you were only an accessory to the fact (smile)! You say March 3 -- well, I guess that qualifies for WINTER in Minnesota!

Having arrived in April, I can assure you that SPRING is the ideal time of year! It is when flowers raise their heads through the MUD of WINTER, when the trees send forth new leaves and blooms and the barnyard is full of baby calves, lambs, colts and piglets.

Aaaah, the JOY of SPRING!

And my wife is definitely a SUMMER person having arrived in June -- the time when all the cumbersome coats and overshoes are stored and the young ones are frolicking in their uninhibited freedom, picnics abound and boating sends the breeze through the hair. Aaaah, the JOY of SUMMER!

So now you have the FACTS and we'll challenge the dangers of ice and snow and broken hips from skiing and broken ankles from skating, aching backs from hauling in the firewood and frozen fingers from milking cows.

Now you can enjoy those thrills of winter -- but PLEASE, keep them in MINNESOTA!

Older and Wiser from the South:
Jess Cloyd
Hot Springs, SD

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I wonder if any of us realize what a truly remarkable publication we have in The Bulletin. I have had opportunity to see a lot of family letters, and little issues produced about this or that, and none really last very long, nor hold your attention very long, BUT not so with our Bulletin. It is always waited for with anxious anticipation, knowing it will be very interesting, funny, sad (sometimes), and close to the heart of each one of the subscribers who are often included in the pages.

Anyway, thank you, thank you for all the work to keep it just as it is. The sameness of the layout is a plus. We have this familiar feeling, which is comfortable, but every time the stories are so different. We can often just page through it, knowing we'll come to this or that article by this one or that one.

I don't know why I am so interested in Coni's progress. I guess I was just impressed with that picture of Weston and Coni when they were at a celebration and all dressed up looking so happy, etc., and then suddenly we get this report of her illness. It really hit us, knowing the happiness of that couple -- and to be reading how Weston is right there at her side through every experience is very touching. An example of love that is true.

Zach Bratten has reached a peak in his life, with the training and academic standing near the top of his class. His future assignments will be followed with interest, so hope Don and Patty take time to give us the updates of his whereabouts.

Jeni and Kurt Larson's story really reached our hearts. It is so touching that they can accept their loss so graciously, and it means a lot that they loved their family so much that they named the babies after them. The babies will always be a part of Jeni's and Kurt's family, even though they are not with them. I have never had any children, but I have seen many experiences, and admire their attitude with all my heart.

Oh, oh, Miss Kitty, looks like you will have to be doing some updates for us, in order to keep up with Phoebe Hunt. She's sort of your color, too, but not the same peridot eyes.

We can't imagine Nordic skiing in the mountains ... nor tripping over an ant mound, but it made a great update, Richard, and I'm glad you took the broad hint from the Matriarch to share your times with us. Eugene, Oregon, is a beautiful area.

Thanks for the picture of Weston, Coni, and her folks. Coni looks like she isn't feeling as well as she will be eventually. Donna Mae, you had lots of company and that is NOT good for the diet. I KNOW. I won't even admit how much I gained from our few days of company -- and I hate it, but somehow I love to eat as much as I love to cook.

I loved seeing the pictures of Caity and Meredith and Rachel. They are at the age of happiness, with no inhibitions, and everything is fun or a disaster, ha. I see the Alaska sweatshirt -- that must have been a gift from the "Eskimo relation."

The Day Care Insight was so funny, and so typical. It would be a great addition to have a couple sentences that are the most clever from the day care each week.

I loved reading the "Good Memories Of A Trip to Visit Ens," by Dorothy. Most of us don't know much about another country, so everything anyone writes is always very interesting. Especially recent updates and reports from the Netherlands. Nice to have someone writing from there. Even a short report is welcome.

It goes without saying that the LTD Storybrooke was missed this week, and hopefully there will be one for next week. It does take time and thought to write, and sometimes one doesn't have that much to spend.

Fun reading about Panda, though, and although herding sheep and goats is not something I understand, it was an interesting story.

I am still laughing over the way the WAFs took care of "Mr. Mouthy." I guess I really shouldn't laugh, though, as that could have been very serious.

I never heard of someone making their own "snowshoes" (skis), but now I see it can be done. Sorry it had taken so long to make them that the winter was already over.

The Travelogue had us spellbound again. They will carry those memories for a lifetime.

That isn't Larry McCorkell, is it? Really? A different Larry than the quiet, meek, reserved, submissive gentleman we know. Happy Birthday, Larry ... if that was YOU. The condensed version of their meal by Larry was priceless. Like Roy, he can say a lot in a few words (if he can get them in edgeways).

I'm running out of time to write this LTTE, and maybe that's good. Just one more comment. The Traumatized Chef -- and the grubby little anomaly ... FUNNY.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell
Because Tuesday is Mardi Gras, that's why!

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. --Jason Jordan

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where