White tulips in Holland
Photo © Frans de Been
Tulips in Frans's & Rian's garden in The Netherlands

Updates -

UPDATE -- Coni anticipating Jamie's ice cream social
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

Coni and her sister Kristi returned home from Maryland on Monday, and Coni has spent most of the week resting at home. The blood transfusion and other treatments she received last week seem to be having a positive effect, as she has generally felt much better and has had more energy this week than she did during the same week of the last cycle.

Today (Friday) we have another appointment with Dr. Rousey at Minnesota Oncology and Hematology PA. We will likely meet with him periodically so he can keep up with Coni's treatments and progress, which will be important if Coni leaves the NIH treatment program and seeks new treatments at some point in the future. Because Dr. Rousey has experience treating Coni's form of cancer, he would likely be our next source of treatment after NIH.

After the appointment, Coni and I will be attending an ice cream social at her niece Jamie's elementary school. Going into the week, Coni wasn't sure if she would feel up to attending, but because she has been doing so well this week, she will be able to attend, which will make both Coni and Jamie very happy. Other than that, we plan to spend the weekend enjoying the beautiful weather that is being forecasted!

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers again this week. You can send e-mails and e-cards to her here: c_waltzing@hotmail.com.

Photo Editor's Note: Weston told me that Coni's niece Jamie Waltzing, a first grader, age 7, loves getting mail -- especially postcards from all over -- and she's a big fan of animals. She'd love to get a postcard from you, if you'd care to send one. Miss Kitty has sent her a couple of postcards already. (Click here to see a picture of Weston, Coni and Jamie at the benefit in Osakis.)

Miss Jamie Waltzing
7711 30th Ave N.
Crystal MN 55427

UPDATE -- Diana Martin
by Diana Mellon Martin
Coon Rapids, MN

Hello to all my loved ones. I saw the Oncologist, yesterday, and spent the better part of two hours going over test results, but mostly treatment options. There are so many, it gets a bit mind boggling. I think I have chosen the option, that, although it doesn't have quite the success rate average, has fewer severe side effects, can be done once a week right at my doctor's office, and, if need be, will allow me to choose the next best option if that one doesn't seem to be working.

With the option I'm choosing, he feels I should have at least two quality years, or more, and seems to agree with my decision, so, I see him on the 10th of May, and chemotherapy should start shortly afterward.

The cabin is still in limbo, but actively listed, and hopefully with spring here, will sell before too long. Maralee, her daughter, Cristina, and I got up there during the week, last week, and managed to pack up a lot of boxes and etc., so hopefully we can keep plugging along with it. The kids already know they may have to finish it up for me, because of the effects of chemotherapy and etc., but they are all willing, and I am so blessed and grateful!

I hope this note finds one and all happy, healthy and having a good spring. Love to all..... Diana

Photo © Colette Huseby
Blue Violet with Mullein (and clover) in background.

FAMILY UPDATE -- Husebys have wildflowers and deer
by Colette Huseby
Breezy Point, MN

We are settling into our new house and never tire of looking out at all the trees. We still have many boxes to empty, but I finished the kitchen yesterday. That feels great and there was room for everything, although I must admit there isn't very much space left for adding any new kitchen items without first weeding through the existing. Erik's and Ashley's rooms are empty of boxes but mostly chaos yet.

This week Tim is helping his dad paint the basement rooms of their house that is still under construction in Nisswa. After doing what they could yesterday, they moved the fire ring in our back yard farther away from the house -- and discovered that it had been set up close as the previous owner was trying to burn away a large tree stump. We'll either have it removed or factor it into the landscape.

After days and days of rain (good for encouraging us to stay indoors and unpack), it was sunny most of yesterday and Ashley and I walked around our yard a bit and took pictures of some of the wildflowers. Will the photo editor please help us identify a couple of these? My wildflower book is still packed and will be until I get a couple of bookcases, since Erik now has the one we had in his room.

I was thrilled to find the violets as I was making plans to populate some areas with them and will transplant the ones that are close to Tim's shed and in grave danger of being trampled. The other flowers were along the edge of the undeveloped lot next door, although I might find them in the very back of our lot, as well, if the deer haven't eaten them.

We saw a doe and a yearling close to the house our first morning here and since then have seen as many as five deer at one time grazing throughout the back yard. I think the raspberries survived that bit of grazing, but they will have to be moved anyway, to survive the bit of landscaping that needs to be completed in the backyard.

We are happy to be back in Minnesota and look forward to all that this area has to offer this summer. I'll send pictures of the house once we have things looking better inside.


Photos © Colette Huseby
Wood Anemone, left; mystery wildflower from Heath family, right.

Photo Editor's Note: A Bulletin subscriber more familiar with Northern Minnesota wildflowers and berries may be able to identify the plant on the right more accurately than I ... it may be a tall blueberry plant; at the very least, it's a close relative of blueberries and huckleberries.

UPDATE -- making plans for a daughter (and sister)
by Scotty and Angela Roberson
Hico, TX

I just wanted to send in a quick update on things here in Hico. We found out two weeks ago that it looks like we are going to have a girl this time around. The three boys are very excited and have even been wanting to help "shop" for girlie things. Dad (Earl Stahlecker) says he guesses he can spoil a girl as easy as he has spoiled our three boys and Adriana's little boy. In any case, boy or girl, we are just very thankful that I've had a healthy pregnancy and can't wait for the baby to arrive the last part of June.

We've finally received some much needed rain so our fields are green and lush. It's always nice to see the wildflowers return in the spring, too. The older boys have been busy with soccer and baseball, and Scott has been busy traveling the last five weeks from Baltimore to Worcester to Anaheim to Phoenix and so on.

Trenton and I just try to hold down the fort while everyone else is so busy. The next couple of months, we'll be wrapping up school and getting ready for our new addition. At least, I don't have time to be bored!

Angela (Stahlecker) Roberson

Photo © Angela Roberson
Trevor, Trenton, and Tracer take a break from playing on a warm, spring day.

UPDATE -- Hurricane Wilma area still has work to do
by Steve Miller
Coral Gables, FL

Not a lot to report. All the trees and plants that didn't get blown away are green and growing again. One interesting tidbit ... our live oak trees normally shed their leaves in late February or early March. The hurricane pretty much stripped all the leaves off of them in October so they didn't shed their leaves this spring. We settled with our insurance company and have signed a contract to have our roof replaced. We plan to get some replacement trees planted soon.

Photos © Kristi Indermark
Jordan gathering Easter Eggs, left; Tyler playing outdoors, right.

UPDATE -- the Indermarks
by Kristi Indermark
Portage, WI

We have been enjoying the beautiful weather here. I am glad that today is cloudy; this way I have to stay inside and finish a lot of my chores that I have been neglecting.

Tyler's first birthday is coming up shortly. Jordan has just learned the Happy Birthday song and she likes to think it is her birthday every day. Both kids are doing great!

I am starting to develop a business plan on opening a daycare center in our town, but I need some help coming up with a creative name. If you have any suggestions you can e-mail me at KKLJGI@aol.com. Thank you!


Photos © Kristi Indermark
Jordan & Tyler -- enterprising duo on secret mission.

UPDATE -- baking organic goodies
by Anita Phingsten Weiland
Yankton, SD

I'd better get to this. It seems like the days fly by with trying to get the yard work done, along with my various other activities. Now we have rain again, so now its hard to get outside for much, so it is a good time to do inside things -- and take a bit of time to get this off to you.

Here is how I got started with the baking: Harold and I and the family moved to Yankton in November of 1986. I am not really sure just when I started baking bread, but it was for the farmers' market, which was inside the mall, and got lots of traffic.

The farmers' market had lots of ladies who, on the day before, would bake goodies and have it ready (put in coolers, then served on a card table with knife, butter, etc.) and they usually came home with empty coolers.

It was fun; then the man who owned the health food store asked if I would I be willing to bake bread for them, so that's how it started, and continued from bread to muffins, cookies, brownies, etc. The current owner bought him out in 1989 and I have been doing it for her since then.

I did a lot of trial and error baking; for instance, customers wanted breads that didn't have gluten, so we tried making spelt bread. I found you can't do it with just the spelt flour; it needed other things in it to make it edible -- tapioca and rice flour, guar gum, oil, raw sugar, and spelt flour.

I make other breads also; someone might come in and ask if I could make this or that. I just told them to bring me the bread bag and we could do it. It's been very enjoyable to do. Mostly it takes the stress out of the day (unless one of the big ovens isn't working, then it's a little upsetting). I find it a good reason to get up in the morning and make someone's day better.

We use all organic products, and they taste wonderful. Here is the list of kinds of muffins: blueberry, lemon cheesecake, carrot apple raisin, zucchini, banana, coconut macaroon with chocolate chips, cranberry orange, non-fat apple pie spice, strawberry rhubarb, and fig, flax and fiber, etc. -- just about anything one wants. We also do several kinds of cookies, carrot cake, and if you don't see it for sale, just give us a special request or order and we will make it up for you!

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN


If you're a game player, here's the place to visit! Orisinal is an entire site that hosts free games, most quite simple to master. The introductory page has descriptive icons. Click one to access the game of your choice. There are no titles so part of the fun is discovering what each game has in store for the player. You must realize that the first few games will be a learning process. Please don't despair if your score is not perfect; you'll have plenty of chances for improvement!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Mother's Day 2006
A Tribute to Amy Mellon Dake
(Last call!)

As the present Matriarch of the Dake family, I invite you to help us pay tribute to Amy Mellon Dake, the Mother of the Dake Family -- whether she was your mother, your grandmother, your great grandmother, your aunt, your borrowed mother, or your friend.

Please write a short paragraph telling us what she meant to you. We hope everyone who knew her will join in, so please keep your comments to one brief paragraph -- and please do participate in this special memory page. (We have some very nice tributes, so far.)

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Thanks to Carolyn Miller Dake for sending last week's mystery pictures.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

That is a wonderful picture of the Miller clan and their mates. I know my mother had one; I don't know if it is the same one or not.

In the front row, L-R: John and Rose Miller and my parents Lenore (Miller) and Henry Phingsten.

The two back rows, L-R: Robert and Jeanette Miller, George and Phoebe (Miller) Huisman, Jim and Blanche (Dake) Miller, Richard and Florence Miller and Tom and Coynell Miller.

It would be nice to know what year that was taken. I think it was taken in Grandpa and Grandma Miller's house by the lake, one of our favorite spots. There were many family get togethers there. What precious memories ... swimming, food ... and we always had fun.

Anita Phingsten Weiland
Yankton, SD

Editor's comment: You are correct and also first to answer -- Congratulations!

The mystery picture, which is not so mysterious, since it is all my aunts and uncles on the Miller side plus Mom and Dad. Front row: John and Rose Miller and Lenore and Henry Pfingsten. (Let's see how many get that name spelled correctly!) Back two rows: Jeanette and Robert Miller, Phoebe and George Huisman, Mom and Dad [Blanche Dake Miller and Jim Miller], Florence and Dick Miller, and Coynell and Tom Miller.

Steve Miller
Coral Springs, FL

LTD Storybrooke

"Our" Sunday Morning Drive
by Larry Dake

My original wage agreement at the ranch had been that they would provide us with a pickup truck. I wasn't altogether unhappy that they were always short that one truck. We continued to drive our own truck and they helped out with gas, tires, and repair bills. It was a good arrangement.

It seemed like nearly everything else belonged to the ranch, including us and the beds we slept in!

Because the two-way radio on the kitchen counter was the only connection to the boss and the outside world, we were required to keep it tuned in and turned on. From early morning til late evening, our family time was interrupted by the incessant chatter of ranch activity.

It wasn't too surprising then that we looked forward to Sundays, when, after getting up early and feeding the sheep, we'd get into our truck and head to town for our Sunday morning meeting. Once we were in our truck, we were free from the reach of the two-way radio. We had a pleasant hour-and-a-half of quiet time -- all to ourselves -- as we crossed cattle-guards and open range on the 80 miles of scenic high-desert between us and town. We passed the Steenes Mountains, several rim-rock plateaus, a hot-spring, and Malheur Lake -- before reaching the small ranching and logging community of Burns.

Our dog, Checker, always made this trip to town with us. (We didn't trust to leave him back at the ranch.) He would sit on the front seat between Sherry and me and keep his eyes on the road. If we met another vehicle, Checker's herding instincts were so strong that he would latch onto it with his intense, Border Collie stare, as it approached. When we met the vehicle, his neck would whip around as we passed.

When there was no traffic, as was often the case, he'd latch onto telephone poles as we approached them, whipping his head around repeatedly as we passed each one.

In town, it was not unusual to have a dog as a passenger. Most pickup trucks sported at least one!

Checker would wait patiently in the truck while we were in meeting. We came to greatly appreciate our friends and fellowship there.

Officer Trainee
By Beaver

One of the first things we had to learn in basic training was to salute officers. All officers. Even Second Lieutenants. Especially Second Lieutenants. We learned that it didn't work to pretend you didn't see them. Because Lackland Air Force Base was a basic training center, this included saluting officers driving in cars. Saluting officers in cars seems pretty strange, but we all had to do it.

Lackland was home to a large number of officer training candidates. They wore insignia somewhat resembling officers' insignia, but they were not yet officers. It was considered a terrible blunder for anyone, even a dumb Airman Basic, to salute one of them. After all, they would soon be Second Lieutenants. It would be bad enough to have to salute them then.

Do you remember Sergeant Richards, from the monkey drill episode? (Bulletin 179) The tough, bowlegged old bird about five feet tall with a deep raspy voice, a leathery face, and a little potbelly? Late one afternoon, after Sergeant Richards had been marching us hither and yon all day, our flight formation approached a busy street. A Volkswagen was coming toward us out of the setting sun, as we were about to enter the intersection.

Sergeant Richards courteously held his road guards and halted the flight to let the Beetle pass. He saluted smartly as the car approached, and then seemed to suffer some sort of terrible seizure. He doubled over, choking and foaming at the mouth, making horrible noises. He stomped his feet. His eyes bulged. His arms waved wildly. He seemed to be suffering unbearable pain. After a few moments, he settled into berating himself in language both colorful and innovative.

As the Volkswagen moved out of the glare of the setting sun and slowly idled past our flight, the reason for Sergeant Richards' histrionics was revealed. The driver was an officer trainee, grinning from ear to ear, while smartly returning Sergeant Richards' salute.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

According to my father (Donald B. Johnson), his uncle Edward W. Miller began doing inlaid wood pieces during the Depression and continued it afterwards as a hobby. I'm hoping to learn more about this from Great Uncle Edward's daughter Ruth Miller Collings. I sent a preview of this article and photos to my first cousin Sandra Knowles Schaefer, as well. She sent a photo of an ornate inlaid wood serving tray given to her mother many years ago by her Uncle Edward. Sandy didn't know exactly where it had come from until she saw the pictures (early 1930s?) below. --Jerrianne

His Idea Of Rest Is To Work Hard At Tedious Task
Cabinet Maker's Hobby Results in Creations of Beauty from Wood
Reprinted from the Ontario Daily Report, Ontario, CA (December 20, year unknown)

An Ontario cabinet maker who possesses remarkable skill and a penchant for intense work has demonstrated what leisure time will yield by fashioning a group of tables, each intricately designed in inlay and overlay with thousands of tiny pieces of wood.

The cabinet maker is E.W. Miller, proprietor of the Blue Ribbon Builders, 517 East A Street. Miller has several examples of his handiwork on display there, each one of them the result of more than six months of engrossing and difficult labor.

Miller has two davenport tables, each of them containing 20,000 sections of rare and ordinary woods cut and pieced together to form complicated geometric designs. He also had a card table, with a checker board in the center, similarly built up.


In addition to those on hand, Miller has made three other tables in the two years since he first took up this work as a hobby. What started as a means for mental relaxation turned into an art as Miller's proficiency increased, until now he constructs perfect examples in wood mosaic. But to the average person who looks and marvels, the cabinet maker's original idea of seeking relaxation in the task of fitting a genuine jig-saw puzzle by making the pieces as he goes along, is a bit remote.

Miller's davenport tables, for instance, each contain more than 50 different kinds of wood -- some of them so ordinary that the average person never thought they would prove decorative or workable, others so rare they are seldom seen. A few of the woods he used in these tables are umbrella tree, olive, apple, purple heart, ebony, walnut, cocobolo, tulip, zebra, cedar, rosewood (in four shades), peach, cherry, lemon, mesquite, jujube, ironwood, carob, apricot, fig, orange.


Some of these woods Miller buys, some he trades for; many of the others he picks up here and there, watching for instances when a resident is forced to cut down some dying tree he had purchased perhaps for its exotic character. He makes frequent forays into the hills to gather different varieties of pine, oak and mesquite.

All his wood stock must be thoroughly kiln-dried before he may use it, to prevent shrinkage. And he must be careful not to place too soft a wood next to an exceptionally hard one, for the softer will work down more under the sandpaper finishing, leaving his surface wavy. Turned portions, such as the legs, are built up in squares from several woods, and worked cross-grain on a lathe, so that the different colors will show side by side.

The work requires infinite patience and accuracy, but Miller says it not only has proved restful but definitely a cure for "the economic blues," when one's mind is apt to prey rather too much on business troubles. And now that he is well versed in the art, his hobby products are finding a market of their own.

Photo by Howard C. Heyn, Ontario Daily Report
Game Table: 5,000 pieces of inlaid wood includes a checker board.

Photo by Howard C. Heyn, Ontario Daily Report
Davenport Table: 20,000 pieces.

Travelogue t

Greg and Sonja Dake left Durham, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

Photo © Greg & Sonja Dake
Ocean-going cargo ship on river in Shanghai.

Traveling to the "real" China
(posted by Sonja)

Saturday morning, January 21, 2006, we had an 8:40 a.m. flight to the Yunnan province of China. This was a domestic flight, as opposed to international flight, so we flew out of Shanghai Hongqiao Airport instead of Pudong Airport. We managed to pack everything the night before, because we knew we wouldn't be awake or energetic enough to do any of it that morning.

We had arranged ahead of time to check out of the Renaissance Pudong Hotel Saturday morning, and check back in upon our return to Shanghai on Wednesday, the 25th. We packed only what we thought we'd need for the trip and left all our other belongings checked with the concierge here. We took our two smallest rolling bags and two backpacks. We set the alarm clock for 5:30 a.m. so we could have breakfast in the Club Lounge and have everything ready to jump in a taxi at 06:45.

When we did go outside to get the taxi, we had to tell the hotel employee whose job it is to get taxis for guests at least three times that no, we didn't need to go to Pudong Airport, we needed to go to Hongqiao Airport. The taxi driver also didn't believe us until Greg showed him our plane ticket. Poor driver was stressed the whole way, thinking he wasn't going to get us there in time to catch our plane. It is a 40-minute or so drive from the Pudong area to Hongqiao in normal traffic. The driver at first thought we had an 8 a.m. flight, I think, because he kept pointing at the clock on his dash and asking us, "Okay? Okay?" We would reassure him, but he was still stressed.

He was also the most talkative and outgoing taxi driver we have yet to have here. He pointed out things to us along the route like a stadium and some of the bigger towers. He asked us several things in Chinese but we didn't understand much of it. After about the 10th time he pointed at the clock and asked, "Okay?" Greg showed him the plane tickets again and that the flight left at 08:40 and he was a little less stressed then. He was downright chatty, even though we understood very little.

Just before we got to the airport traffic, and he'd figured out we were headed for a holiday in Lijiang, then coming back to Shanghai, he said, "Shanghai okay, ma?" (Ma is the question word requiring a yes or no response in Mandarin, so even though he was speaking an English-type sentence, he still ended with the question word.) I answered first in English, "Yes, Shanghai OK!" then in my piddling Mandarin, "Shanghai hen hao," (Shanghai very good). He had a very big grin at that.

We got to the airport about 7:50 a.m. (and paid our largest yet taxi fare, 81RMB. Greg gave him a 100RMB note and told him to keep the change, which is all but unheard of in China. You know those silly signs that some places have in the States, "Tipping is not a city in China?" Well I have a response for those signs now: "That's right, there is no tipping in China." Busboys, limo drivers, cab drivers, wait-staff, etc., none of them expect tips.

We had some difficulty finding out which gate to check in at at Hongqiao when we got inside. We went to the first gate we came to and the employee said, "Gate 32B, that way" and pointed. We went there and our flight wasn't listed anywhere. I kept our place in line, just in case, and Greg went to the China Eastern ticket counter to ask someone else. He talked to two people at two different places that said go back to A22. So we did, but our flight wasn't on the boards there, either. I did notice that the latest flight times were 08:25, though, and said it was possible ours just wasn't up yet. We stayed there and soon enough our flight was posted.

We checked the two rolling bags and carried on the two backpacks. Going through security went quickly, even though there was quite a line. It was apparently mandatory not only to walk through the metal detector but also to get the wand passed over you. Greg somehow set off the detector with something in his pockets, but it was figured out and he went on through. I went through with no incident. We found our gate and sat down to wait. There weren't many seats available; it was quite crowded but we did manage to find two seats together.

Once our flight was called, we were directed down a hallway and out to a transport bus. The bus was already full and still packing more people in. We rode it out to the plane and got on the plane, not on a tunnel but on rolling steps.

to be continued

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log: http://sonjas-travels.blogspot.com/

Photos © Frans de Been
Beautiful spring flowers bloom in Frans's & Rian's garden.

Greetings from the Netherlands
by Frans de Been
Oosterhout, The Netherlands

Hello Everyone,

I have made a few pictures from our front garden. Yes, tulips! We live in the Tulpenlaan (tulip alley) so do what you can do with it.


Photos © Frans de Been
Spring bursts forth in Tulpenlaan (tulip alley).

Skinny Recipes  6
from Donnie Anderson
Isanti, MN

This week's recipe, a flavorable introduction to a new low calorie vegetable, is in response to a special request by Eric. So here you go! Weight Watcher's = 6 points per serving. --DLA dopaerza@netzero.net

Provençal Pork Stew with Olives & Fennel

1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 whole fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
2 large onions, thinly sliced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
2 lbs. pork tenderloin, cut in 1-inch pieces

1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. herbs de Provence
3 cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup kalamata (Greek) olives, pitted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

1. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large Dutch Oven over medium high heat. Add fennel and onion and sauté for 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more. Spoon into large bowl.

2. Place flour and pork in large zip-lock bag and shake to coat. Discard excess flour.

3. Add remaining 2 tsp. oil to pan over medium high heat and brown pork on all sides -- about 6 minutes. Add browned pork to bowl with fennel mixture.

4. Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return pork fennel mixture to pan and stir in broth, herbs, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until pork is tender -- about 45 minutes.

5. Uncover and stir in olives, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, until heated through and sauce is slightly thickened.

Yield: 8 servings (1-1/2 cups per serving); 294 Calories, 6 W.W. points per serving.

Photo © Donald L. Anderson
Provençal Pork Stew with Olives & Fennel
Click here for the Skinny Recipes collection.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days
May 8---VE Day (Victory in Europe)

This Week's Birthdays
May 7---Ben Johnson
May 7---Kim Mellon (Tim's wife)
May 10---Curt Henderson
May 12---James Dake
Happy Birthday!

More May Birthdays
May 1---Frans de Been
May 4---Beau Birkholz

May 14---Ernie Dake
May 14---Tyler James Indermark (1 year)
May 16---Angelique Ann Freesemann
May 17---Dwight Anderson
May 19---Ryan Hellevang
May 22---Dan Henderson
May 23---Don Pettit
May 25---Amy Ellen Dake
May 26---Rick Anderson
May 27---Tracer Scott Roberson (8 years)
May 28---Jazmine Jane Hill (3 years)
May 28---Jason Hunt
May 29---Kristi Kay Larson Indermark
May 31---Mavis Anderson Morgan

May Anniversaries
May 14---Roddy and Alisha McNeill (1 year)
May 16---Nathan and Brenda Anderson Hill (10 years)
May 27---Dwight and Janie Anderson (35 years)
May 31---Tom and Mavis Anderson Morgan (49 years)

May Special Days
May 1---May Day (hanging May baskets day)
May 8---VE Day (Victory in Europe)
May 14---Mother's Day
May 20---Armed Forces Day
May 29---Memorial Day (observed)

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thanks for remembering me out here in the West! That was a nice e-mail you sent for my birthday. I know everyone says time flies and that birthdays come up quicker and quicker as you get older, but you never realize it until you're the one actually getting older ... haha. I'm still playing lots of tennis, so that keeps me somewhat in shape and limber, I guess. Hope all is well with you ... I'm sure you're excited to finally have spring and summer around the corner. Thanks again.

Steve Rodriguez
Huntington Beach, CA

Kurt's out-to-sea schedule has had him out Monday through Friday and home on the weekends for the past month or so. Luckily, his birthday fell on a weekend this year, so we got to celebrate together on his actual birthday.

I told him we could celebrate any way he wanted. Wherever he wanted to go, whatever he wanted to do, whatever he wanted to eat ... he was just supposed to let me know! He decided that he'd rather just stay home since he's always away. But he had MANY requests for meals.

Saturday night, he requested BBQ meatballs, au gratin potatoes, and French style green beans.

Sunday morning, he wanted to have breakfast before church at Mimi's Café. (He ate there for the first time a couple weeks ago when my parents were in town. We had Easter brunch there, and Kurt decided he wanted to go back as soon and as often as possible!) So, we had a delicious breakfast there on Sunday morning for his birthday.

Sunday evening he wanted to order food from Pat & Oscar's. I had never heard of them, but now I'm a loyal customer, just as Kurt is with Mimi's. Pat & Oscar's has this great gourmet pizza. We had the "San Diego" pizza, which is topped with feta cheese, avocado, red onion, and pesto. Quite delicious! We also had Greek salad (my favorite!) and fresh-baked breadsticks.

Needless to say, after Kurt went back out-to-sea for the week on Monday morning, I was left with a ton of left-overs to enjoy. And boy, oh boy, have I!

Kurt's favorite is chocolate devil's food cake, but I knew if I baked him one, he would eat one or two pieces and then there would be an entire cake left here for me all week. I'm already having to go for extra walks to burn off all the yummy pizza & BBQ meatballs I've been eating, so I didn't want an entire chocolate cake here staring me down.

Instead, I bought him a Carvel ice cream cake, which was just as delicious (and much less work for me!). Here are a couple photos of Kurt and his cake. (The poor thing thinks he's over the hill at only 31, hence the fire extinguisher! Ha!)

Jeni Larson
San Diego, CA

Photos © Jeni Larson
Kurt Larson makes a wish and blows out 31 birthday candles.

Miss Hetty Says

The indexing spider made its rounds last week, so all prior issues are searchable again. And don't forget -- next week is Mother's Day. Remember to call your mom!

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

It's Saturday morning, don't sleep late; get up, get up, it's almost eight. We can sip some coffee while we wait ... for THE BULLETIN. It's fun to wait in anticipation, for notes and stories from across the nation, and beyond; what a creation ... is THE BULLETIN.

For Coni and Weston, with no regret, I feel deep love for both, you bet; and to think we have only met ... in THE BULLETIN. Courage and love will see them through, all the things that they have to do; (and they're beautiful on the inside, too) ... thanks BULLETIN.

Shanghai, China, what a zoo! I'd like to be there, wouldn't you? Greg and Sonja were, and took us, too ... through THE BULLETIN. With foreign foods I don't do well, Can't stand the look, can't stand the smell, But they both ate it, and are doing well ... says THE BULLETIN.

Hey! Whose birthday is it today? Whose anniversary is coming our way? Check Hetty Hooper, she will say ... in THE BULLETIN. Can she keep a secret? Yes indeed! Tell no one, that's her creed. Except for the few (hundred) who read ... THE BULLETIN.

Real history from a long time ago, how to raise sheep? Larry would know! Lots of fine people I'm getting to know ... through THE BULLETIN. If there's something from last week I can't recall, I don't worry or fret, whimper or bawl, I read Betty's review, she's got it all ... from THE BULLETIN.

Can't stop now, without a line, about Bitzi and Jerrianne and their works so fine, on fixing photos ... except for mine! ... for THE BULLETIN. My last word's for the Matriarch dear, who puts things together to bring us cheer, to keep families in touch, to bring friends near ... with THE BULLETIN.

Sorry if I've become a bore, but I'll stop now, and not write more. And about Guitars, I'm saving that for ... another BULLETIN.

Capt. Jack Adair
Coon Rapids, MN

P.S. {Do you notice contribute starts with CON?} Yep, old Rufus is back, along with Capt. Jack. Love, Jack (and Rufus).

Just finished #202 and have to say it is good to have Larry back. I think it is wonderful that he has a sense of humor even through hard times ("We will have to wait and SEE") and it is fun to read his prose again!

Doug Anderson
St. Cloud, MN

An answer to Carol's question about DON KITTO

YES! Don Kitto is Ken's son. He went to a technical school there I think it was -- learned auto painting, detailing, etc. Of course Ken knows all the Printz families -- and in a day or two when I get ready to send my "blurb" I will have him tell me about that.

The Printzes are special people to Ken!

Ruth Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

Love to read from all who write to you, and with Larry keeping us up on all with the lambs, so interesting. Love every word. Thanks.

Anita Phingsten Weiland
Yankton, SD

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Bulletin #202 was an exceptional Spring issue, beginning with the beautiful close up of the Tulips Miss Kitty shared with us. The other pictures of the double ones were equally as fascinating. A sure sign of Spring.

Officially, Spring has sprung here in MoundsView, too, with the rain the last few days making everything so lush and green. Makes you feel anxious to go to the flower market to get a start on some beauty in the yard to replace the snow and drab lawn after winter.

We are very glad for the Updates on our fellow subscribers that are very ill. I was wondering if Coni needs another Benefit activity toward all these trips she has to make? It seems it would be almost more than young folks can handle.

Diana is also in our thoughts as she faces more doctors and treatments and complications. Please know we care, and please continue to update us.

I don't even want to think about all the pain and trauma Ryan's dad suffered falling off that ladder. It will be awhile before he climbs a ladder again. Things happen so instantly, with long lasting results.

My sister, Ruth, wrote about Vernon Swanson's years in the Navy. When he died a couple years ago we were deeply impressed with the service at Fort Snelling, and he is numbered with the thousands of other white markers there. But, as she had written before, she is now Mrs. Kenny Kitto, a super (cowboy) husband and best friend.

Donna Mae always writes something so original, including her many young folks. This time it was Ted E. Bear. Jayce has a smile on that picture like we haven't seen for a long time. No wonder -- he is holding his "friend" with the new outfit.

I must say that I gasped loudly as I turned the page and saw that picture of the Millers and spouses! What a treasure. I won't take up space to name them all here, but I could. I don't think I ever met "Uncle Tom" nor his wife, but I assumed that must be them on the far right behind Henry Pfingsten.

Good thing I don't have room to write all the things that come to mind very quickly seeing those faces again. The first night after I left home to go into the Work I spent at Lenore and Henry's. So, that home has always been a dear memory. I met the others on that picture that same year in 1959-1960 and have enjoyed watching changes through the years in them and their families.

THANK YOU for whoever submitted that picture. Nostalgia!

Thank you, Larry, for details of your affliction. Just keep on getting help.

I'm glad we haven't run out of Uncle Edward stories nor the China saga. I find myself looking forward to the next chapter of them both.

We were expecting a great story about Miss Kitty's birthday, and we weren't disappointed. Looks like she has her paw lifted ready to swat anyone about to touch her presents. I think she had more of a celebration for three years old than some people have at thirty!

Photos © Jerrianne Lowther
This is her first celebration, left; lovely flowers, right, were for the next one.
(Click on the pictures above for the stories and larger pictures.)
Does anyone agree that Miss Kitty is one favored companion of our photo editor?

The Skinny Recipes pictures always look professional, AND DELICIOUS.

Last, but not least, may I take time and room to comment on the CHUCKLES? What a nice picture of Bitzi. You see her hair? Not one strand out of place, ever. I never have seen her messy. She is such a lovely lady, and I loved that picture of her.

Thanks again for this issue of The Bulletin, which was enjoyed and re-read several times already. Roy and I enjoy each and every Bulletin, and are glad to be subscribers. I keep thinking that surely you will run out of material one of these times, but each one is packed with serious, happy, and newsy news.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: Humility does not mean you think less of yourself. It means you think of yourself less. --Ken Blanchard

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is dma49261@juno.com

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where