Flag Day is June 14
Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell
Oh, say can you see? ... June 14 is Flag Day.
(Sarah Dake, Suzanne McCorkell, Amy Dake)

Updates -

UPDATE -- Coni seeks treatment closer to home
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

Coni, her brother Jeff and I flew to Maryland on Tuesday for Coni's first CT scan in six weeks on Wednesday. The results were not great, but not all bad either.

First the bad news: The doctors thought they noticed some slight growth of the spots of cancer on her lungs since the last scan. When they compared the new scan results to the scan taken when Coni first started chemo, they confirmed there has been some slight growth.

Based on these findings they recommended that Coni drop out of the protocol and return to Minneapolis to try a different type of chemotherapy. Dr. Fojo (the NIH doctor) will discuss options with Dr. Rousey (Coni's oncologist in Minnesota) to decide which of several potential treatments she should try next.

The good news is Dr. Fojo and Dr. Rousey both know of several treatment options Coni can try, so with their combined expertise, they should be able to choose the treatment that has the best chance of being effective. We also met with another local doctor who provided some advice concerning nutrition and supplements, and recently heard of yet another doctor who is studying ACC at the Mayo Clinic, so we are hoping to line up a consultation with him as well.

Obviously we were hoping NIH would do the trick, but we feel good about some of the new options available to Coni. With all of the doctors we have been meeting with, we have a pretty vast pool of expertise focused on finding the right treatment option or options to try next.

Please keep Coni in your thoughts and prayers again this week. You can send e-mails and e-cards to her here: c_waltzing@hotmail.com.

Photo © Ruth & Ken Kitto
Night-blooming Cactus Blossoms

UPDATE -- cactus flowers in the dark of night
by Ruth and Ken Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

These cactus blooms open in the dark -- all night -- but fade in the daylight. They were about 6-8 inches across.

Photo Editor's Note: And now I am SERIOUSLY homesick for the Arizona desert ... where I lived for eight years. My Easter Lily cactus haven't bloomed in more than 30 years, but they still live, disconsolately, in their big, black pot in Alaska ... hoping that some day I will take them home to Arizona. I don't know whether it's still there, but there once was a huge photo of their lovely white flowers, made at night before they faded, that hung in the Tempe public library.

Photo © Donna Johnson
A shade tree drops in to play...

UPDATE -- storm splits tree in daycare play yard
by Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

A storm blew through the other evening, dumping a LOT of water and also dumping half a tree in our play yard. I was very glad the storm wasn't one of the "rotations" spotted in other areas.

Beaver got out his chain saw today and cut the downed part of the tree, into smaller sized pieces, for his helpers to move more easily. I must say it made me rather nervous watching him climb the ladder with a running chainsaw to cut it completely from the tree trunk. Fortunately, it went well!

Becky, Caity, Jayce, Kerstyn and Austin (both Schroeders) helped drag the pieces down to the play yard fence, where Beaver pitched them over to the other side. The bigger chunks of wood went to the woodshed, for firing up the furnace at some point.

Less and less shade in the play yard -- that's the second part of a tree to come down from that same area this season. Hopefully the rest stay up to shade us for the coming summer months!

Photo © Donna Johnson
Becky, Caity, Jayce, Kerstyn & Austin helped clean up fallen branches.

Photo © Betty Droel
Krista Rae Weiland graduates from Kindergarten.

UPDATE -- Krista's graduation
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Today was the day. Krista Rae Weiland graduated from Kindergarten. She was so excited that she had a tummyache. After much persuasion she finally succeeded in wearing her favorite dress, which helped the matter.

After all the preparation and pep talks, she was a perfect angel, along with all the rest of her big class. The teachers were excellent at controlling the innocent, unhibited, very natural, little children.

They all kept their eye on the teacher to be sure they were doing the right thing. They loved her, you could see that, and what a wonderful beginning to this life of school.

Marci congratulated Krista while Grandma Verlaine looked on. Steve was busy with the video camera. Grandpa Weiland had such a serious cold that he could not come, although this day had been anticipated with eager excitement for a whole year. Roy and I get to be included by being Great Uncle Roy and Great Aunt Betty.

Betty and Roy Droel
MoundsView, MN

Photo © Betty Droel
Marci congratulates Krista while Grandma Verlaine looks on.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna Johnson
Caity, Jayce and Grandma Judy Arens (Jayce's paternal grandmother).

A Visit from Grandma Judy

We had a wonderful afternoon and evening with Jayce's Grandma Judy. To start it off, Caity and Jayce went swimming at the Holiday Inn where she and Jayce are staying the night. Judy, Becky and I got in a lot of visiting and some good old fashioned relaxing. To get them out of the pool was easy enough, after they finally got hungry! The consensus was Oriental food; it didn't take very long to come to that conclusion and we all thoroughly enjoyed the choice.

The next stop of our "mini vacation" was to a lovely Alexandria park, a jut of land with lake on either side, which we all greatly enjoyed. There they got to play on the various park slides, swings, etc. and check out the local fishing pier. What absolutely gorgeous weather we had -- mild breeze and perfect temperatures and NO BUGS -- which is a biggy in Minnesota!

Of course, we also had to take a little side jaunt, out to see Shawn's and Lori's lake place and spend a little time enjoying how nice that is. Judy commented on how she could see getting up there and having coffee in the mornings, while enjoying the view of the lake!

Finally, back to the hotel for more swimming. The kids definitely got their exercise.

Photo © Caity Chap, left; photo © Donna Johnson, right.
Jayce, Judy, Donna & Becky, left; Jayce on monkeybars, right.

Wordoku Puzzles

"Wordoku is very similar to Sudoku. Love Sudoku? then you'll really love Wordoku!" The ...doku puzzles seem to be all the rage now. Having previously featured a sudoku site, it is only fair to give Wordoku equal billing. As yet the word puzzles on this site cannot be played online but the developers promise that this enhancement will be coming soon. In the meantime you can print out the daily posting for whatever level suits your ability -- easy, medium, hard -- and distribute them for your own Wordoku trials!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Thanks to LeRoy Dake and Ginny Dake McCorkell for sending last week's mystery picture.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Well, once again I am seeing a picture that brings back very fond memories. The picture would be of Stanley, James and Kathleen Dake, children of Lois and Bill Dake.

This picture was taken in front of the OLD BUNK HOUSE on the farm out of Valley Mills, Texas. This OLD BUNK HOUSE holds many good memories of fun times past. I think is one of the few buildings that is still standing at the farm from back then.

A lot of the memories were created when the Minnesota cousins came to visit. Although there were some times when the younger ones were ex-communicated to the main house. I still am not sure why, but my big brother had spoken, and that is what we did, whether it be myself and Sharon, or whomever the other cousins might have been at the time that were younger than Steve, Stan, Duane, etc.

This time frame must have been also at the time that Dad was sick. Who sent this in? Uncle LeRoy? I would love to get the picture blown up as I have never seen it before.

Kathleen Dake Stahlecker
Gatesville, TX

Editor's note: Ginny Dake McCorkell sent the picture to us. It may be LeRoy's photo. And if you get the picture blown up enough, you will see that James is sticking out his tongue for all he's worth!

The mystery picture this week is my Uncle Stanley, Uncle James, and my mom, Kathleen Dake. I've heard lots of stories about the "Bunkhouse," but I'm not sure that I've ever seen this picture. Uncle Stanley still plays guitar, and we all really enjoy it when he gets it out and plays while we try to sing along. I really enjoy all of these pictures that I've never seen, and I realize more and more how much I look like my MOM!

Angela (Stahlecker) Roberson
Hico, TX

Those would be some of my wonderful Texas cousins: Cowboy Stan (Bill), James and Kathleen Dake. Fun picture!

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

I am loving these old pictures! This week it is Stan, James and Kathleen Dake in front of our "infamous bunkhouse" on the farm at Valley Mills, Texas. That guitar was our dad's, I believe ... probably the gun, also.

The "bunkhouse" had been a chicken house originally ... then one year we had a hired man living on the farm, so our dad fixed it up for him to live in. After he moved on, we kids "inherited" it and all the cast-off furniture we could come up with. When we had other kids visiting for a weekend, etc. we would retreat from our family home to the "bunkhouse" and had great times there!

Carol Dake Printz
Sidney, NE

View of the gravel pit, 1953.

The Johnson Gravel Business
By Beaver
A short history by David S. "Beaver" Johnson
Part 1 of 2

The Johnson gravel business began several years before I was born, and continues to this day. I shall try to set down what I remember of the early history, from stories heard over the years, as well as my memories as a young boy. I have enlisted the help of my sister Jerrianne, whose memory goes back just a little further than mine, but who took a lot less interest in the gravel business than I did.

My grandfather, Bennie Johnson, was in the livery business in Ashby until starting a farm operation in the 1920's. Bennie hauled freight, rented out horses with buggies, and ferried passengers. In 1913, he began chauffeuring passengers in the first of several new Model T's. I believe he continued the livery business along with farming for some time. He served as a substitute mail carrier during World War I, carrying mail with a Model T in the summer and driving horses in the winter. My dad, Donald B. Johnson, was involved too, delivering coal from railroad cars to homes, businesses, and to the school in Ashby.

Dad got a job in the early 1930's at the big gravel operation across the highway from the Ashby Resort. He started out hauling water and coal for a steam shovel with a team of horses from the farm. The crew worked twelve-hour shifts seven days a week, two weeks of days, and then two weeks of night shifts. At one shift change they worked twenty-four hours straight, then got twenty-four hours off at the next shift change.

Dad started his own gravel business very soon after the end of World War II. He and Sherman Ferguson worked together, having partnered on the sheep shearing circuit before getting into the gravel business.

They had a horse-drawn, hand loaded dump wagon, but probably didn't use it for very long. After the dump wagon sat in a corner of the gravel pit for many years, Dad burned the wooden parts of the wagon and salvaged the metal. A few years later, when he was in the antique business, he realized that the old dump wagon would have been worth lots of money to a collector.

One of their first major projects was to landscape and gravel the parking area for the Fergus Falls drive-in theater. Sherman got wind of the project from a friend of his, Bernie Pretts. Donald and Sherman won the contract. Orville and Art Jacobson subcontracted the cat work. Art was known for doing better finish work with a cat than most could do with a grader. The engineer said his grading on the project was absolutely perfect, which was a great relief to all involved. When the cat work was done, Dad and Sherman hauled the gravel and bladed it out with a B Allis Chalmers tractor pulling a "township" blade that had been modified from horse drawn to tractor drawn.

They graveled roads for several townships in the early years, using open-cab trucks at first. Their first loader was an H Farmall with a Horn trip bucket manure loader, which was said to be a great improvement over loading trucks by hand with shovels. They also used drag buckets and conveyors for screening road and cement gravel.

About 1947, after a wait of several months, they got a Cletrac "cat" with a front-end loader. My sister Kathy, a toddler at the time, was bewildered by the talk of a "cat," and when she saw the noisy machine, she wanted to know if it had a tail.

By 1953, when my first memories of the business start (aided by pictures taken that year), Sherman had gone on to start Fergus Well Company, and Donald had added several pieces of equipment. His fleet that year consisted of three Dodge trucks of late 1940's vintage, as well as two conveyors, two drag buckets, a rock crusher, and the Cletrac "cat."

When I got to ride along in the truck with Dad, the roughest part of the ride was when the Cletrac dumped its load of gravel into the truck. There was no way to do it gently; the operator just got the bucket above the truck, pulled the trip lever, and BANG, the load dropped into the box. I remember hitting my head on the cab roof a few times when I was standing on the seat to watch the loading through the side window.

1953 was a big year for the gravel business, as Dad had the contract to supply all cement sand, aggregate, fill, and mortar sand for additions being built on the Ashby and Evansville schools.

A big part of the business in the 1950's was digging basements, for new homes as well as existing homes. Many older homes had no basement, or only a small cellar. Dad had a good business jacking up houses and digging under them to make full basements. The Cletrac was run with no exhaust pipe so it could go under the house, making it very loud, and the diesel smoke hung thick under the home. I always thought it was the best show in town when I got to go along and watch.

The gravel pit during the 1950's was a wonderful place for a boy to visit. So many machines, so much noise, so much dust and diesel smoke! The rock crusher jaws made a steady crunching roar that could be heard miles away. The F-30 Farmall engine that powered the crusher ran with a short straight pipe on the exhaust -- mufflers were too expensive, and considered to be an unnecessary frill. Add the din of the shaker screen loaded with rocks, with the growl of the diesel engine of the Cletrac, and the noise was overwhelming. Nobody wore ear protection. After a ten-hour day of crushing, the last thing you heard as you went to sleep at night was the steady crunch-crunch-crunch of the jaws, still echoing in your ears.

A layer of white dust, as fine as flour and as abrasive as grinding compound, layered everything and everybody. There was also danger -- an occasional rock would find its way up and out of the crusher jaws, to be ejected high into the air. It didn't happen often, and nobody ever had one land on his head, but it was a very real threat.

If the crusher was stopped with rocks in the jaws (engine out of gas, belt problems, the time the engine dropped a valve, etc.), the startup process required everybody on the crew. One person engaged the clutch to run the jaw against the rocks, then disengaged the clutch while everybody else pulled back on the five V-belts that turned the crusher. At first, the belts would move only a few inches, but after many repetitions, the jaw would make a full turn, and be off and running.

Iver Hanson worked for Donald in the summer of 1953. He accidentally caught his hand in a belt on the rock crusher, breaking some bones when his hand went around a pulley. After a trip to the doctor, he continued to work, one handed, with the injured hand wrapped for protection.

to be continued

Donald B. Johnson digs a basement with his Cletrac "cat" about 1950.

Travelogue t

Greg and Sonja Dake left Durham, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

Photo © Greg & Sonja Dake
Sonja & Greg at Butterfly Spring near Dali.

Traveling to Yunnan Province

Visiting Dali
(posted by Sonja)

We drove a way into town and the driver called the new guide, and after 20 minutes or so he showed up and got in the van. He was a young, early-20's looking, Chinese, who introduced himself to us with his English name of Will. He gave me one of his business cards and asked if we were ready to eat lunch. We said we were so he told the driver, and off we went.

We stopped at a place that looked more like a souvenir shop than a restaurant from the road. But we walked through the storefront part and came to the typical Chinese open courtyard between three buildings, where tables were set up for dining, as well as some more souvenir tables with things for sale.

We sat down, after visiting the restroom (99% of the bathrooms on this trip were squat toilets; only in hotels and one tourist attraction did we find Western toilets). We learned very quickly, our first day in Lijiang, to take our own stash of toilet paper around with us everywhere we went, because public toilets never had toilet paper. Some of them had holders for it; most didn't even have that. Most didn't have soap or paper towels to wash up with, and a few didn't even bother to have a sink.

The guide asked us what kind of food we liked and if there was anything we definitely did not want. Greg told him no fish or seafood, and not too spicy. He asked if we wanted to drink Coca-cola or beer or what, we said just tea would be fine. The waitress came over just then with a teakettle and set it down for us. We turned our teacups over to find them coated inside with dust. Yum. Will took the cups, poured some tea in a soup bowl, and rinsed the teacups in that for us. That's probably about as clean as they'd ever been.

The food started coming out, one dish at a time. We had a beef dish, and a pork dish, a soup, some green leafy vegetables, and a plate of steamed mushrooms. The leafy veggies were kind of bitter, so we didn't eat much of those. Everything else was very good.

Butterfly Spring

After the meal we went back to the van and rode to the Butterfly Spring. This was the first sight-seeing spot on our agenda for Dali. It was a mountain spring at the foot of the Cangshan Mountain range. The local legend was that two young lovers met a long time ago at the fountain. The man was a hunter and was hunting deer. The woman was, of course, the loveliest maiden in the village. The man shot the deer with an arrow but only wounded it, not killing it. The deer ran to the spring and found the girl, begging her to save it. The girl bound its wound and saved its life.

When the hunter tracked the deer to the fountain, he saw the beautiful girl and fell in love. They met at the fountain to see each other after that. But one day the emperor heard of this beautiful girl and decided she would be one of his consorts. He sent men to bring her to the palace. The girl didn't want to go, but was forced to. The small deer saw her taken away and ran to tell the man, who went to the palace to get the girl back. He took the girl away but was discovered, and the emperor sent men to kill the hunter and bring back the girl.

The two lovers went back to the spring, and when they realized they were being chased, held hands and jumped in the pool and drowned themselves rather than be separated. The small deer also joined them in death. At that moment butterflies flew up out of the spring and landed on a tree overhanging the spring. So the spring is called Butterfly Spring, and every April there is a festival there. The guide said the tree is covered with butterflies that day.

We walked up the road (there were three roads, which Will explained as one for single men to walk up, one for single women to walk up, and the middle one for couples who met at the spring to walk back down together.) There weren't many other people around yet, and the day was getting warmer.

When we got to the spring, there was a bit of a crowd. One of the local girls came up and offered to put a costume on me for a picture, the native costume all the women wore. I thought what the heck and said okay. She put it on me, I will post the picture here soon. Greg took a picture and that was that. The guide gave her a 5RMB note for it. Will offered to take a picture of us in front of the spring, so we took him up on that. We didn't give him 5RMB for that, though. :)

We walked a little ways back to where the spring ran out through dragon-head shaped fountains. Will told us it was good luck to wash your hands three times in the water coming out of the spring, so we both did so and took pictures of the process. This didn't cost 5RMB, either. :)

After that we hiked back down to the parking lot, fended off the souvenir vendors that were selling whistles that sounded amazingly like live bird calls, butterfly hair barettes, etc. We looked at one booth for hats for Greg and me, but didn't find any in big enough sizes for us! The downside to the cheap shopping in China is, the sizes are much smaller than in the states. That reminds me, I haven't told of the shopping trip yet to get our coats and hiking shoes before we left Shanghai. I'll have to do that.

When we were getting ready to leave, we stopped by the restrooms on the way back to the van. Will had told us there were no butterflies so early in the year, but I saw a blue one fluttering around. I tried to get a picture of it, but I had to pull out the camera, take off the lens cap, then shoot. I'm not sure if I got it or not; will find out when I go back through all the pictures.

Also while there a Chinese lady asked Will some questions. I didn't understand what she asked, but I understood his answer: mei guo ren, meaning American. After we had walked away I said, "She was curious about where we're from?" and he said, "Yes, she asked me if you were Russian." Then he asked how I knew that, and I said I knew "mei guo ren" and guessed what she had asked. He asked if I spoke Chinese and I answered, yi xiar, meaning "a little bit." He said, "What you know, hello, goodbye, that kind of words?" I said yes, pretty much.

to be continued

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log: http://sonjas-travels.blogspot.com/

o In Service To Our Nation j
Gert Dake Pettit is compiling information on family members and friends of the Dake family who served in the armed forces during and after World War II.

David Mogck, Marine, left; Spencer, David & Genelle Mogck, right.

David Mogck
Plymouth, MN

David Mogck enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corp in 1958. He was in basic training at the Marine Corp Recruit Depot at San Diego, California.

After graduating from basic training, he was sent to Camp Pendleton for further training. He was then sent to El Toro Marine Air Force Base in California to perform the duties of aviation radio and radar repair. This marine air station supported the fleet marine forces in the Pacific, serving the major west coast fighting facilities.

Lance Corporal David Mogck was discharged in 1961.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days
June 14---Flag Day

This Week's Birthdays
June 16---Gina Henderson
June 17---Louise Cloyd
Happy Birthday!

More June Birthdays
June 1---Jeremiah Dake
June 4---Merna Hellevang
June 5---Rian de Been-van Gageldonk
June 6---Jettison Quaid Freesemann (1 year)
June 7---Shane Swenson
June 8---Ashley Huseby (3 years)

June 18---Caitlynn Mae Chap (10 years)
June 19---Doris Anderson
June 19---Ashley Meyers
June 20---Spencer Aydelotte (12 years)
June 20---Roy Droel
June 20---Julian Montford
June 21---Ary Ommert Jr.
June 24---Aiden Montford (3 years)
June 25---Ben Henderson
June 26---Greg Wm. Dake
June 26---De Myer
June 27---Sam Mellon
June 29---Tim Huseby

More June Anniversaries
June 3---Larry and Ginny Dake McCorkell (34 years)
June 6---Wyatt and Jolene Johnson (8 years)
June 7---Clark and Susan Miller Smith (15 years)
June 10---Jim and Kristi Larson Indermark (6 years)

June 18---Jason and Tami Anderson Hunt (2 years)
June 19---Curt and Patty Anderson Henderson (24 years)
June 20---Rich and Marlene Anderson Johnson (25 years)
June 20---Steve and Marian Miller (36 years)

June Special Days
June 6---D Day
June 14---Flag Day
June 18---Father's Day
June 21---First Day of Summer

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Cheryl Wrzesinski (daughter of Tom and CoyNell Miller) and her daughter and grandson were down over the Memorial Day Weekend to see Aunt Peck (Coy Nell). They all came up to see Mother for a few days.

Anyway, Cheryl stated that she wanted to be put on your mailing list. A lot of history there between the Dakes and Millers, as you well know. Uncle Tom had given her a copy of The Bulletin tribute to Grandma Amy Dake. Thanks for the memories.

Kathleen Stahlecker
Gatesville, TX

Here it is celebration day for my wife, Rian. Yes, it is year ago when she was 50! The 5th of June. Sunny and temps about 17 degrees Celcius. [63 degrees F.] I send you pictures of Rian and her cake.

Take care and have a nice day!

Frans de Been
Oosterhout, the Netherlands

Rian de Been-van Gageldonk with birthday cake in garden.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! We went to Red Lobster, with the girls, so Jolene and Rylie could have their favorite shrimp (coconut shrimp for Jolene, popcorn shrimp for Rylie). I had some very good rainbow trout.

We've officially noted another area where Rylie and Brooklynn are polar opposites. Rylie's always been easy to take out to eat. She almost always sits nice, doesn't make much noise, eats some of what's put in front of her, etc.

Brooklynn used two carrots to eat a half a cup of ranch dressing, only after realizing that carrots were better dipping vehicles than cheddar biscuits. When she got sick of that, she found it was fun to go under the table, then scream because she couldn't get out. After she got one of us to grab her, she'd throw her plug on the floor. Then she just screamed for the fun of it. I'm thinking it's a good excuse to go out to eat a little less.

Eight years ago, at this hour, the greatest wedding dance ever was just getting underway!

Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

Miss Hetty Says

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Jennie Dake Horne
Carrie Horne has big plans ... and who could resist such charm?

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

I haven't said THANKS for The Bulletin lately, so will do so today ... thank you, thank you, thank you! You two keep on amazing the rest of us, week after week! Beaver and I were just discussing it last night and find it admirable that you've kept it up so very long!

It's always fun to see stories from all areas of the country. Cute picture of Amy and piglet and loved reading her story. I'm hoping, Amy, that you'll send us a vacation travel story or stories with pictures, as those travelogues are horizon broadening, to us stay at home type of people. I certainly will never make it to China, so have been devouring Sonja's tales ... LOVING the detail she does so well -- gives us a feel of a place! And Jennie's story and pics about Ethan had me smiling; I could just see the children in action.

I'll send in a bid on the stroller too, by the way. How's a meat trade sound?

Good to see pictures from Steve and Marian. And, thanks Steve, for the pictures of your folks. And a big thank you to Gert and Melanie for putting the articles together. Jim's was so very interesting ... makes me want to hear more!

The picture of Ginny and Larry ... hmmm, still think of you two that way ... have you changed? That's one thing about having someone as a longtime friend or relative -- they can still remember those "young" looks! Wondering, is that good or bad?

I laughed out loud at the Mason series of pictures with captions ... darling! That Levi is a hoot -- I enjoy each of his pictures.

Thanks, Betty, for your contributions; I find it interesting to go over the previous Bulletin again with you ... so thanks for your efforts each week! I'm sorry to hear you are in atrial fibrillation, too, but glad that you are on the medicines and on the right course to get it back to normal. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks, Doug ... Love the Foto-funnies. That's real rockin' digs for Arthur!

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

Another great Bulletin!

Ginny did such a cute job with Mason's pictures. We laughed and laughed.

We really enjoyed reading about Uncle Jim ... just wish that it had been longer.

What an amazing girl that Amy is!

Just want to let all of you who work so hard on this publication know that we really do enjoy it so much. Best part of Saturday!

Marlene Anderson Johnson
Long Lake, MN

Photo illustrations © Virginia McCorkell
Don Anderson, Jr. & Ethan Horne

Make My Day!

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I thought that sure looked like Beaver on the first picture of the parade in Ashby. When Roy looked at it, he said, "That must be Beaver." We found out we were right. What an honor to be a part of such a noble group in that Memorial Day Parade.

The next chapter of Coni and Weston's preparations, for their biggest day yet, was so interesting. It sounds like they had success on their trip to Alexandria for the wedding flowers and reception hall. Another hurdle past, but many more to come which will be just as painless, I'm sure. We just wish them well in this round six.

It was thrilling to see an article from Amy Ellen Dake. It sounded just like Larry's writing -- must be the scribe gene in that family. Very interesting to read about the lambs, piglets and vacation plans. We need to know what decision was made for the next job as it happens. Pretty cute picture of Amy's namesake.

I hope the sisters have interest in their candles. It is not easy to begin a business like that, but there are plenty of us ladies that fall prey to the aromatic items, and I want to research that Country Cabin Candle Co web site. I love that unique name!

What a precious story about those innocent little pre-schoolers. The real performance seems to be in their reactions. That cute little girl covering her eyes -- a priceless picture for her memory book. Isn't that a touching picture of Carrie and Ethan after the ceremony?

My magnifying glass failed to give me any clues on the GUESS picture. I wonder if it might be some of the Millers among the pictures Steve had supplied to Gert. I could almost think that girl was Phoebe, but I have been wrong before!

Traveling to Yunnan Province by Sonja was another vivid description of all the things they saw and ate and heard and felt. That river and mountains were vast even on the picture. Wouldn't be electricity on those hills. I don't know how I would have ever been so gracious as to actually USE the chopsticks. I'm afraid I would end up tipping the soup bowl into my mouth. Travel stories make me very thankful to be home safe and sound.

Don, you would be in your glory this season of garage sales! Guess we will have to pass on the stroller that you have for sale. Oh, wait! Maybe for a great grandchild.

I was very impressed to see the pictures and read the story by Jim Miller. This was all before I met Jim and Blanche, but it was most interesting. So many veterans can relate their experiences like it was yesterday. Fun to see the pictures of those two happy people. Jim looks like the cat that ate the mouse to have won Blanche Dake. Then, the highlight was to see Steve and Marian's pictures. The next generation. We are all getting older, and time brings changes, but looks like they are doing very well.

The picture of Ginny and Larry was timely. I saw them yesterday, and asked Ginny when their 34th anniversary would be, and she said TODAY -- with a huge smile. Larry had on his engineer cap. It was at a graduation reception for Jared Larson.

In the CHUCKLES, we are introduced to "Arthur." I wonder if that is a friend of Miss Kitty yet? Now, Doug, you didn't tell us enough about Arthur. Better write a little paragraph or so to enlighten us on this Foto-funnies poster child.

Thank you, editors, for putting the picture in of our parent's graves (Henry and Rosalyn Weiland). It is such a good feeling to see them "together," knowing my dear mother is not in loneliness or pain anymore. She is in a better Home.

Please know that we have enjoyed this last Bulletin equally as much as the ones before. After all your work on it, it finally comes together like a jigsaw puzzle making a beautiful picture to us subscribers. THANK YOU.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Douglas A. Anderson; photo by Brenda Hill
Jazmine Hill checks out Red Riding Hood's story.

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: Our flag is red, white and blue, but our nation is a rainbow -- red, yellow, brown, black and white -- and we're all precious in God's sight. --Jesse Brown

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is dma49261@juno.com

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where