In memory of Coni Waltzing 1979-2006
Photo Illustration © Virginia McCorkell

Updates -

UPDATE -- Coni has gone home
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

Coni passed away on Thursday, July 20, at 1:30 a.m. She was surrounded by loving friends and family, and went quietly and peacefully. The last few weeks had been difficult. Although we made one last effort last week to turn back the advance of her cancer with another round of chemo, her condition continued to deteriorate quickly. Once it became clear that the chemo was not going to work, we feel it is a blessing that things went quickly. Now Coni's fight is over and she has some much deserved peace and rest.

Coni had insisted on leaving the hospital last Thursday and made it clear that she wanted to come to my house rather than returning to hers. I believe she intended that to be one last gift to me: to make my house into our home, even if it was only for a very short time. Her family and I are grateful that she was able to die peacefully at home rather than in a hospital or a group home. In a way, we were all apprehensive about how it would go, but Wednesday night and Thursday morning ended up being very peaceful and serene.

Immediately after Coni had passed, her mother noticed that Coni had a smile on her face. Each of us who were there with her looked, and she truly did have a genuine smile on her face. She even had little dimples at the end of her mouth. Seeing that helped give us all a sense that she was at peace. She really did keep smilin' right to the end. Her mother commented that she must have seen someone she knew, smiled, and followed them home.

At this point, it is hard to believe this journey is over. I don't have the words to describe all that I am thinking and feeling, and I certainly don't have the words to thank everyone for all of the prayers, support, concern and everything else you all have done to support Coni, her family and me throughout this difficult time. But please know how much Coni appreciated everything, and what a difference you truly made in her attitude and her ability to fight over these past seven months.

The following is the schedule of arrangements, including the visitation and funeral:

Visitation will be at the Roy-Hedlund Funeral Home this Sunday (July 23) from 2:00 to 8:00. The Funeral Home address is 101 Nokomis Street, Osakis, MN 56360.

The funeral will be at the Immaculate Conception Church this Monday (July 24) at 10:30 a.m. The church is located at 316 W. 3rd Ave. in Osakis. Burial will be at the cemetery in West Union immediately following the funeral.


Coni & Weston, summer 2005, left; newly engaged, May 2006, right.

Please keep Weston in your thoughts and prayers this week. You can send e-mails and e-cards to Weston here: His "snail mail" address: 7600 Berkshire Way, Maple Grove, MN 55311.

Photo © Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Trinidy Roberson in her "coming home" dress.

UPDATE -- Trinidy's homecoming
by Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Hico, TX

The boys are adjusting very well to having a new little one around. All three of the boys have been helpful in taking care of their sister, and they keep wondering when Trinidy will be able to "play."

My mom, Kathleen, stayed for a week to help with the boys, housework, and meals. She was very much appreciated! Plus, my sister Adriana has helped out a lot, too.

Trinidy's jaundice, due to an ABO blood incompatibility, finally resolved itself a few days ago. She did not have the condition as severely as Trenton did, so we were thankful for that.

Last Friday, Trinidy had an appointment with a Pediatric Cardiologist at Cook's Medical Center in Fort Worth to see about her heart murmur. She has two minor holes in her heart, as it turns out, but the doctors are confident that both problems will fix themselves in the coming weeks. She goes back in six months to have it checked out again. Otherwise, she is happy, healthy, and already spoiled.

Thanks for all of the warm wishes and kind thoughts.


Photo © Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Trenton, Trevor and Tracer love holding their sister, Trinidy.

UPDATE -- Where's Henry?
by Kristi Indermark
Portage, WI

We had a black cat named Henry that died last week. We were all upset by this and how do you tell a three year old about that? ... so I figured I would wait until she asked, "Where's Henry?"

The next day I had a chance to stop at the humane society in town and look at some cats ... JUST look.

Well, I fell in love with two cats and couldn't decide between them, so I brought them both home. (One is an orange tabby and the other a long hair calico.) Jordan, who should have been napping at this time, walked out of her room just as I was letting the cats out of the carriers.

Jordan said, "Henry, there you are!" to the orange tabby. I couldn't help but laugh because our Henry was all black. Below are some pictures of the new cats, Oliver and Fancy.


Photos © Kristi Indermark
Oliver (Jordan calls him "Henry"), left; Fancy, right.

UPDATE -- Don & Patty's newest "remodeling" project
by Donnie & Patty Anderson
Isanti, MN

In the beginning of 2006 our weight had reached an all time high and it was seriously affecting our health. We no longer had a choice -- something HAD to be done. We chose Weight Watchers and Donna's Internet support group to help us in our journey. We still have a long road ahead of us -- it will be several more months before we reach our goal weights and then a lifetime using the skills we have learned on this journey. We have often been asked, "How are you doing it?" -- so we gave it some thought and here it is.....

A Little Soul Searching: Why do you want to lose weight? What will you gain by losing the weight? Will you feel better? Will your health improve? Will you be able to participate in activities you can't right now? Will you feel better about how you look and have more confidence? Will you live longer? I think our motivations when we were younger and had less weight to lose were centered around looking a certain way or wearing a certain size. As we have gotten older and found our excess weight interfering with our health, activity and general sense of well being, it has become obvious that our relationship with food will have to change.

Our Reality Check: Food is fuel for our bodies (calories) in the form of carbohydrates, fat and protein. Everything that you put into your mouth will be either burned for energy now or stored as fat to be used later. To lose weight we have to either take in fewer calories or expend more energy to burn some of our stores. It's a little like balancing a checkbook. Seems simple enough ... so why is losing weight so darn hard?

Somewhere along the way we lost that concept. We made food an immediate source of comfort, recreation, and reward. The simple fact that there is a time lag between when we eat and when it actually shows up on our bodies as fat makes it easy to disassociate the eating with the weight gain. The heavier you are the easier this becomes -- gaining five or ten pounds for a bigger person becomes a little like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic -- no one's going to notice, least of all us.

We Got Honest: We had to admit that we love food. We love cooking food, eating food, talking about food and sharing food. It's our favorite way to entertain. We love cooking for other people and each other. We also had to admit that it was easier to change the menu than the mind set. We have learned that we can continue our love of food as long as we are responsible in our choices and are always mindful that the nutritional checkbook has to balance at the end of the day. That cake we love so much tastes even better when you eat it slowly, really taste and enjoy each bite. You can have a smaller piece and enjoy it just as long as it would have taken to eat the whole row.

We Took Action: Support, support, support: We can't stress this enough. We are fortunate to have a great group of family and friends supporting each other on the Internet and working toward this goal together. We also joined Weight Watchers and attend every single week. If you're having a tough week then it is the week you most need to be there.

Education: We learned to read labels and figure out exactly what we are putting in our mouths so we can make informed choices. If you're going to pay for it later, it better be worth it!

Accountability: We write down absolutely everything we eat -- even if it was something we shouldn't have eaten. It helps us look back and learn about both our motivations for eating and the consequences, both good and bad, of what we ate.

House Cleaning: This was a brilliant piece of advice from Dr. Phil -- we cleaned out the cupboards and fridge and took everything we shouldn't be eating off the food shelf. Now, even if we have a moment of weakness, we can't get into too much trouble. We replaced high fat, high sugar foods with healthy but equally delicious choices.

Find substitutions you can live with -- permanently. If you don't like something, you won't eat it for long. We are fortunate that there are now lots of tasty alternatives with artificial sweeteners and a whole host of fat free or low fat products that are really good. We have Splenda in our sugar dish on the kitchen table and use it for all of our sugar needs. If you don't like skim milk plain, try getting it in a skim latte at the coffee shop -- a sprinkle of cinnamon makes it a treat as good as hot cocoa! Try new things -- all diet sodas are not the same! Keep tasting until you find one you like. We especially like Stewart's diet sodas and the new Peach Fresca. If your store doesn't carry something you want -- ask! You can also substitute bacon for the higher fat sausages for breakfast. Two pieces of Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon are only 50 calories. Other good alternatives for some of our high fat habits are Baked Lay's potato chips or even the Lay's Light line of chips made with Olestra (a fat substitute we can't digest). We always have sugar-free Jell-O cups and fat-free Reddi-wip in our fridge for a 15-calorie treat, whenever the urge hits. We have lots of ideas in this area -- if you want more, we'll be glad to share! Drop us a line at

Plan Ahead: It's important that we change our repertoire of "old standard" recipes if we're going to have permanent success. We sit down once a week and look through Cooking Light and Healthy Eating magazines and pick new recipes to try. After six months we have found several that we love and have added them to our regular rotation. We make a list and shop for only what we will use for the week. Gone are the days where we would buy a bag of lettuce, only to throw it out when it rotted. If we don't have a salad planned, we don't buy it. We know how many apples, oranges and grapefruits we eat and buy just enough for the week so our produce is always fresh and delicious. We have saved so much money buying groceries this way that we are always able to have fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries and find they are affordable now that we aren't buying so much food "just to have in the cupboard in case..."

Increase the Activity Level: You don't have to buy fancy exercise equipment or join a club (unless you want to). Do something you enjoy. We like to walk. We do it when we feel like it -- not because we should. We make it an outing into the city -- we like to walk around a lake in Maple Grove, have a nice meal out and see a movie or shop at Byerly's for special treats we can't get out here in the country. We've recently taken up golf -- it's not nearly as expensive if you want to walk instead of renting a cart! We also have started parking at the far end of the parking lot anytime we're out. There is always a space and those few extra steps each way add up and will make a big difference over time. Garden, dance, clean the house -- it all counts!

That's it, in a nutshell. Does it work? You decide...

Photos © Donnie & Patty Anderson
Donnie & Patty -- January 2006, left; July 2006, right

My Lovely New Kids: You two are amazing. I do appreciate so much what you have sent. It is truly encouraging and should help us face reality ... and get things balanced out. THANKS so very much for sharing. --Mom, the Matriarch

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Thanks to Ginny Dake McCorkell for sending last week's mystery pictures.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

On your July 16 guessing game: I don't know all your family that well but I assume it's Bill and Lois Dake with Cora (Klenk) and Vernon LeMasters, who lived most of their post-Army life around Tama, Iowa.

Jess Cloyd
Hot Springs, SD

That is Billy Dake and his wife Lois Gandy Dake on the left and Marcella and Rollie Mellon on the right. Great to see these old pictures and all of the memories that come flowing back! Oh yes! the other picture is Mr. LeRoy Dake and the white bunny. Thanks again for the wonderful Bulletin!

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

Editor's Note: You do have three of the five correct -- see Jess Cloyd's guess for the right identity of the other two.

Enjoyed seeing so many pictures in this issue of my parents (Billie and Lois Dake) while he was in the Army. They are the couple on the left in the mystery picture, and the couple on the right is Vernon and Cora LeMaster, I believe ... friends of my parents. The other picture has to be Uncle Leroy!

Carol Dake Printz
Sidney, NE

Those two pictures don't give me any trouble. The first picture was taken before Bill and I were married. We were with a couple from Iowa -- Vernon and Cora LeMaster. They were living in town while he was in Camp Barkley. For a while they even lived at our house. Vernon was a cook in the Army and he was a good one. He cooked the wedding supper for our wedding.

The second picture is of LeRoy. No guessing on that one either.

Lois Dake
Waco, TX

Travelogue t

Greg and Sonja Dake left Durham, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

Photos © Greg & Sonja Dake
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, from road, left; closeup of Fan Peak, the main (and virgin) peak of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, right. After 14 unsuccessful climbing expeditions, the local government forbade any more attempts, citing the peak as holy ground.

Traveling to Yunnan Province

Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
(posted by Sonja)

Tuesday morning we were up and about at 7:30. We were heading to the mountain around 9:00.

We went down for breakfast in the first floor restaurant, to find a completely different scene from our Sunday morning breakfast there. This time they had a buffet set up down the middle of the room. There was a cook at the back of the room frying up eggs to order. The breakfast food included several different kinds of noodles, some sausages, fried rice, and some very spicy potatoes similar to hashbrowns. Unlike the Sunday morning breakfast, there was coffee as well as tea. There was also Tang and hot soy milk.

We ate and headed out to the van for the ride to the mountain. Once we got there, our guide went to buy our lift tickets.

The mountain has a ski lift to get the first part of the way up because it is very steep. A few minutes later the guide came back with a guy and told us to follow him. She told us this was her friend, who was in charge of the lift. We then went around the side of the building, through a gate in the chain link fence, and to the front of the lift line. We were pretty sure her friend had gotten a bit of extra money for sneaking us to the front of the line. Otherwise we would have been waiting in line for the better part of an hour, so we didn't complain. There was a plaque at the base saying the lift was manufactured in the US and installed by a US company.

Riding the lift up quickly took us away from the noise and crowd of the entrance and parking area. It was very quiet and peaceful, with the sound of the cable going through the pulleys at each pole the only real sound. We took a few pictures but most of the view was blocked by pine trees. One car coming down past us had a little boy and, probably, his dad; when they saw us, the little boy yelled, "Hello!" to us. I said, "Hi!" back and he said, "Hi," in return. Then his father asked, "Are you American?" and I answered, "Yes we are."

Once we got to the top, the hiking began. The walk up had wooden walkways with rails. As we started up, we saw ponies with saddles tied to trees, and their handlers asked if we wanted a horse ride up. I was tempted but didn't. We were already pretty high in altitude before we left Lijiang. Then we took the lift. Even in the foothills, the Himalayas are quite tall!

Our guide told us we should go slowly to avoid altitude sickness. So we didn't get in any hurry. Every time we came to any open space in the trees, there were vendors set up with computers, printers and digital cameras. (Yes, there was electricity there for them!) They wanted to put native costumes on you and take your picture and sell you a laminated print. I didn't take any of them up on it this time. We did take pictures of each other standing on some of the platforms off the walkway with the mountains in the background, though. Even seeing us do that, some of the vendors tried to talk us into buying pictures from them.

When we got to the spruce meadow, there were girls and women in local native costumes dancing around a circle. Some of the women tourists had joined in. Some of the locals waved at me to get me to join in but I wasn't interested. Walking in the very thin air was hard enough!

The guide then asked us if we wanted to continue on or head back. She said the climbing got more difficult from there. This ended up in a misunderstanding that put a damper on the rest of the day, because Greg didn't understand that turning back there meant we saw no more of the mountain. I knew it and just assumed he did, as well. We elected to go back, to save energy for the rest of the day.

On the way back to town, we stopped at one spot to take more pictures of the mountain. We also stopped at a parking area by the river to take pictures. There were yaks wearing saddles; you could ride one for a fee, but I wasn't interested in smelling like a yak for the rest of the day. I took pictures of them out the van window instead.

to be continued

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log:

Photo © Amy Dake
Amy & Jill, wearing shades.

by Amy Ellen Dake
Brooks, MN

Jill Solberg and I took off on June 14 for our trip west. (Jill is my friend from Thief River Falls, Minnesota.) Our first stop was Dagmar, Montana, where we were at a church convention for four days.

Afterward, we made the nine-hour drive down to Big Timber, Montana, where my family lived eight years ago, on a sheep ranch. Jill and I stayed with some old family friends there. They took us hiking in the Crazy Mountains, up Big Timber Canyon.

We saw a cold mountain stream and impressive waterfall. Visiting the ranch where we used to live was fun -- things have changed over eight years, and many of the ranchers are getting out of sheep, but some of it was just as I remembered.

Photo © Amy Dake
A herd of Buffalo in Yellowstone National Park.

Jill and I then took a day to drive down the west side of Yellowstone National Park, and then past the Tetons to Jackson Wyoming, where we stayed one night.

Photos © Amy Dake
Jill, canoeing, left; Amy, in front of Teton Mountains, right.

The next day we went canoeing on Jenny Lake, near the Teton Mountains. We drove back up through Yellowstone on our way to Cody for another church convention.

Photo © Amy Dake
Thermal area lake in Yellowstone National Park.

The next leg of the trip was down through Casper and Laramie, where we visited some old friends, as well as new ones that we met at Cody!

After two days we were off to Nebraska, where we spent about a week, including the Fourth of July. We mostly stayed with the family I lived with two years ago while I was doing my internship there.

After three weeks of travels, I left Jill off at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where she's getting a ride home. Now I'm in the Twin Cities, visiting Grandpa and Grandma Dake, and Ginny and Larry!

My next destination is Iowa, where I'll be on a detasseling crew for two or three weeks. August 3rd I'm flying out to see my cousin Suzanne McCorkell in North Carolina. And after that? Who knows!

Photo © Amy Dake
Amy, perched on a rock.

o In Service To Our Nation j
Gert Dake Pettit is compiling information on family members and friends of the Dake family who served in the armed forces during and after World War II.

Stanley Dake, in Army uniform, left; at their wedding, middle, with Janice, right.

William Stanley Dake
McGregor, TX

I was drafted into the Army in June 1969. I took my infantry basic at Fort Bliss at El Paso, Texas.

(Irony here -- some of my personal property was stolen during the inprocessing at Fort Bliss. As a result, I was pulled out of the training process while they looked for, and tried to capture, the culprit. Turned out he was a sergeant who went AWOL to Canada to escape going to Viet Nam. Because they now had me out of the training cycle, they finally decided to send me to San Antonio, where they would teach me to be a medic.)

When I arrived at San Antonio, I spent about six weeks in what they called Advanced Individual Training. During this time they found out I could type, and as a result, I ended up being assigned to the Medical Battalion as a clerk typist. I spent my first year in San Antonio in this position.

I then got orders, and was sent to Germany for the last year of my service, with the 5th Corp US Army near Frankfurt, Germany, and was stationed at Hanau at the 85th Maintenance Battalion. I was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and worked in Battalion Headquarters for the Commander of the battalion. My work was clerical and administrative in nature.

Sergeant William Stanley Dake was discharged in June of l971.

Janice and Stan Dake with firstborn daughter, Dawn, 1975.

Janice & Stan Dake, 1986.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
July 24---Jeni Larson
July 26---Tytus Joshua Myron (11 years)
July 27---Wyatt Timothy Mellon (9 years)
July 29---Heather Henderson
July 29---Colleen Mellon Scott
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
July 27---Larry and Sherry Dake (28 years)
July 29---Charles and Ardis Sigman Quick (34 years)

More July Birthdays
July 1---Suzanne McCorkell
July 1---Zachary Elliot Smith (2 years)
July 3---Vonnie Dake
July 5---LeRoy Dake
July 5---Jennifer Dake Horne
July 6---James Miller
July 7---Kimberly Johnson
July 8---Trenton Loredo Roberson (3 years)
July 13---Zach Bratten
July 15---Tom Morgan
July 15---William Earl Dake
July 15---Sherry Dake
July 17---Coni Waltzing
July 18---Callie Printz (5 years)
July 19---Patricia Dake Myer
July 19---Marlee Morgan Freesemann
July 19---Devon S. Stewart (12 years)
July 20---Michael Miller
July 20---Susie Miller Smith

July 30---Justin Printz
July 31---Tim Myron

More July Anniversaries
July 8---Shawn and Lori Ostendorf (next year)
July 19---Dan and Nancy Mellon (37 years)
July 21---"Capt." Jack and Ginny Adair (44 years)

July Special Days
July 4---Independence Day

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thank you for the card for Trenton's third birthday. We did manage to have a nice party for him, even with all the excitement of adding a baby girl to the family. Trenton's party was celebrated with a Blue's Clues theme. Of course, all of the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were in attendance. Trenton had tons of fun playing, eating cake, and opening his gifts.

Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Hico, TX

Photo © Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Tracer watches Trenton get ready to blow out his candles.

Thank you for the e-card. I remain amazed at how you publish The Bulletin every week, and still find time to remember everyone's special occasions. Dinner this Saturday night is all we have planned. We expect to have the grandkids this weekend. I'll take a couple pictures of them -- they're more photogenic anyway!

Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Editor's Note: That sounds great, Dan, but a picture of Nancy and you would really be appreciated, too!

What a great card! You made my first day back to work in two and a half weeks much brighter!

Thanks for being a big part of our celebration!

Shawn Ostendorf
Rogers, MN

Photo © Barb Dewey
Shawn & Lori Ostendorf receive congratulations, best wishes; left to right: Leona Anderson, Shawn, Rachel Henderson, Lori, Ben Henderson, Beaver Johnson.

A person doesn't realize how far reaching one simple little act of kindness is. We have a very dear neighbor who had a death in their family, so we left a card at their home.

One day the doorbell rang; it was our neighbor with sincere, grateful appreciation for our thinking of them. She handed me a tiny little lily plant in thanks.

We planted our little lily, and soon it was growing so big and had a giant blossom that we never expected, but is a bit of cheer each time we step out our back door.

We didn't realize that it was going to be there year after year, growing with hardly any attention, other than watering once in awhile. It was a lesson to us that when you do something for someone else you get more in return than you ever gave.

Here is a picture of our blossoms again this year.

Roy and Betty Droel

Photos © Betty Droel
The little Stargazer Lily blooms faithfully, year after year.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

I missed a VERY beautiful wedding! I just arrived home and saw Kimberly's pictures, WOW!

Rich Johnson
Long Lake, MN

The Bulletin came, good coverage of the wedding.

I like the picture of Lois and Bill Dake. You know we were at that reunion where Lois was presented with the painting of the old homestead. But we never met Bill.

And tomorrow Carol and Harold Printz will be here for meeting! Their son and family come here; he's a cowboy on the big ranch on the South Dakota - Wyoming line. We shall be glad to have their parents here, too.

Jess Cloyd
Hot Springs, SD

I just caught up on the last few weeks of The Bulletin. I absolutely loved the multiple stories on Shawn and Lori's wedding. You all captured the wedding details beautifully. It was such a wonderful day and it was great seeing how happy everyone was for Lori and Shawn. It was very nice seeing you at the wedding!

Kristin Nordling
Prior Lake, MN

Hi there -- thank you for sending me The Bulletin with Lori's wedding pictures in it. Could you put me on the list to be forwarded The Bulletin when it comes out, as I haven't received one in a very long time? Thanks bunches.

Anita Oliva Wolbrink
Bloomington, MN

...How is [Coni's] family doing? Weston must be totally exhausted. My heart is heavy and very, very sad for all of them.

It's odd how you can feel so connected to someone you have never met in person, but I felt such a strong connection to Coni. May God bless her and bring her peace.

Love.....Diana Mellon Martin
Coon Rapids, MN

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I just knew it. I just knew the first picture would be of a radiant bride and groom. The creative photography was very lovely. It was truly wonderful to share in their happiness through The Bulletin details. Thanks, Dorothy, for your time and effort to give us a word picture of it all.

I must admit that I was disappointed that there was not a close-up picture of the bride's mother -- or of Don, Jr. I tried to examine that one photo closely, but couldn't get to see their successful dieting results. Would it be too much to ask for you to put a picture in the next Bulletin of this Mother of the Bride and her husband? I know so many of us would be interested and exclaiming. Also, a picture of Don, Jr., with his top achiever status.

Photo Editor's Note: By now you've seen the new, trim, Donnie and Patty photo, above.

Then the very next item was about "our" Coni, describing her advancing condition. The news of Coni passing away on Thursday was expected after Donna Mae had written about her condition near the last. We are so thankful all her loved ones could be surrounding her during those last moments. We don't put a question mark where God puts a period. May Weston, and her family, feel a comfort from the expressions of sincere sympathy of so many, many hearts towards them.

A day at the beach would be a bonus for living in that far north town of Warroad.

When I saw LeRoy this afternoon I was so tempted to ask him who the fellow was on the picture with Bill and Lois on the GUESS picture ... maybe Rolly and Coy Nell. I didn't want to spoil the fun and cheat, but it would have been pretty easy. On second thought, maybe he wouldn't even have told me.

Not such a glowing report from the Travelogue this time. The hotel room and restaurant problems would take the enthusiasm out of the privilege of traveling there. Maybe the "to be continued" will bring a brighter side to their time, soon running out.

What a great fishing trip! Thanks for writing about it in detail and with pictures. Wyatt's smile was a story in itself. And, at the price of that fish, maybe mounting it would be best.

I want to thank you so very kindly for putting the news in The Bulletin about Roy's brother, Louie Droel, passing away. They had moved from their farm at Barnum, Minnesota, to be near their daughter in Northfield so his wife, Joyce, would be settled comfortably when he couldn't make it any longer, due to a long standing critical heart condition.

Also, thank you for putting the picture in of Roy and the lilies. They are about all dried up now since the heat and no rain.

Thanks, Doug, for the Foto-funnies. Looks like the scene could change in a hurry. That kitten looks dangerous -- ha! I wonder what Miss Kitty thought of that one?

We were glad Diana gave us an update. Our thoughts go out to her.

Thanks again, Dorothy, Donna and Jerrianne and the whole staff of The Bulletin for another special edition. I marvel that each issue is so different, and yet so new and interesting. Takes a dedicated editor to keep it running smoothly, and a dedicated photo editor to make it look so professional and well balanced, also dedicated subscribers to continue to send in items and pictures.

Roy and Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Sarah Steinhauer
Levi happily exploring the wild blue yonder.

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: I think that the dying pray at the last not "please," but "thank you," as a guest thanks his host at the door. --Annie Dillard.

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where