Go for it, Amy!
Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell
Amy Dake tries on Bitzi's red hat ... but she's way-y-y under 50!

Updates -

UPDATE -- a change of venue (or two) for Rich
by Rich Johnson in Oregon (who used to be in Long Lake)
Grants Pass, OR

Hi to all from Grants Pass, Oregon--

I wanted to update the "family" of Bulletin subscribers on the progress of my latest endeavor. I'll start at the beginning...

As the story goes, a few months ago, my mother met a family in her area that were building a retirement assisted living complex. She thought, as mothers do, that I would be better served by taking a position with this company ... and, well, she was right ... what can I say? It only took me a few months to agree. I started with this company in July.

I left the first week in July for training at the location that this same couple were now managing in Oregon. This site was underway when I arrived, but I soon became accustomed to the process. The third day, Ben (the other manager) left me in charge for a day and went to another project up the coast.

Since that time we have had a whole lot of fun with this project and a few setbacks. At the current time, Ben has left for an extended period -- this time, to look after a hotel project in northern Washington. He will return next week.

Near the end of August, I will be deemed "safe" to manage my own set of buildings in eastern New Mexico. My first project will start on September first in Clovis, NM, and the second project 4-6 months later, is in Hobbs, NM, which will also last for 4-6 months. My family will join me when I get settled in Clovis.

I will attach a picture of the project in Grants Pass; this photo shows only half of the building, as the west wing is not yet constructed.

Best wishes to all, Rich

Photo ©Rich Johnson
Assisted living project under construction in Grants Pass, OR.

by Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Dear Dorothy,

I can only imagine the pressure your immediate family must feel when you remind them they are way behind with an update. We are something like cousins once or twice removed (I can never figure that out) and you've certainly made me guilty. Just kidding, sorry to be so slow to do this.

Editor's Note: Now then, Dan, you must pay attention ... your dad (Rolly Mellon) was my first cousin -- so in the rather odd way we figure these things, that makes us first cousins, once removed. "Once removed" means one generation removed, and "twice removed" means two generations removed, so your children and I are first cousins, twice removed. Now -- back to your Family Update.

After 39 years in commercial printing, I have been given an opportunity to do something in another field and have decided to jump at the chance.

I have held about every job I could have had in printing; I have spent much of the last 13 years as a Safety Manager. I have been recruited by a consulting firm that provides risk control services to self-insured cities and school districts. I will begin on Monday.

I could give you a list of reasons why this is a good thing, not the least of which is rather than spending 2-1/2 hours commuting to and from Los Angeles each day (on my own time and expense), I will now be working from home. Travel will be on their time and at their expense. If the job goes well, I could see myself working another eight years (to 65). Most importantly, the work looks really interesting and they don't seem to mind that I am grayer around the temples than most of their employees.

Nancy's work remains a challenge. She is the office manager for a public works construction company. They purposely keep their office staff very lean; with it, comes a lot of responsibility. She knows she could quit anytime, so I have to believe she does it because she likes it.

Our son Sam has an alternative country band that is doing well. Last Sunday evening they were the opening act for John Corbett (Northern Exposure), who has a touring band and Raul Malo, who I'm told is the lead singer of the Mavericks. By the way, this guy is great! I bought his CD at the performance; he kind of reminds me of a smooth Roy Orbison.

Sam has just released a three-song CD that you can purchase by going to his website: http://independentartistscompany.com/artist.aspx?id=10231 They played at one of the big Indian casinos and it was really fun to see his name on the marquee on the 10 Freeway. Anne's girl friend Julie's parents came from Ventura for the performance and we were able to meet and have dinner with them beforehand.

Our daughter Anne and her husband Julian are ready to celebrate their youngest son Austin's first birthday this Saturday. Aiden turned three in June. We are all gearing up for the big party. Anne is an RN and a Nurse Supervisor at a Kaiser Hospital, but is about to transfer to a clinic supervisor job in the same hospital so she can better manage child care issues. Grandchildren are just too wonderful for words. We have a policy: we don't say no to anything! That's their parents' job!

By now you are probably sorry you asked. I hope your readers will remember to say a prayer for my Aunt Diana's (Martin) improved health and comfort.

Editors' Note: Diana has communicated that some days are difficult with her new chemotherapy and Avastin treatments. She has been staying at her daughter's home in Coon Rapids, but will be visiting another daughter for a few days. We are sure she would appreciate your prayers and caring thoughts. We hope to have another update from Diana soon.

UPDATE -- Kathy & Arg's Grandkids
by Colette Huseby
Breezy Point, MN

Here is our attempt at a group picture of all the grandkids, during our Anchorage visit in July. I think this one is the best overall, but some of the others were much funnier.

Photo © Colette Huseby
Kathy & Argyle Anderson's Huseby & Aydelotte Grandkids.

Back: Spencer, Jessica, Todd Aydelotte; middle: Erik Huseby, Brendan and Allison Aydelotte; front: Ashley Huseby, Hannah Aydelotte.

Photo Illustration © Virginia McCorkell
Bitzi's duck hopes to crash a Red Hat Society party ... with Amy...

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photos © Donna Johnson
Torch bearers, left; "luminaries" (luminarias) aglow, right.

Cancer Relay For Life

Our neighbor, Judy Bertram, called me last Saturday evening, wanting to know if I'd like to ride to Fergus with her and attend the annual Cancer Relay for Life. I'd just talked to Lori about being interested in going sometime, so gladly accepted her offer to go along.

It was a hot, blustery evening, with possible storms looming. We lucked out in that department, with the storms missing us and the breeze helping to cool things down a lot. I bought a "luminary" in honor of Coni and Judy bought a flower to put on the bag. Then we went to look for bags that had already been placed in honor of her husband, Ron Bertram, who died from cancer five years ago.

An unbelievable number of luminaries wound in and out and around the fairgrounds buildings. We walked the entire group, reading names, recognizing the Ashby names we knew. Judy mentioned, after five years of coming, how many other names were familiar to her. She said the first couple of years there were more there, white luminaries in honor of loved ones gone and brown luminaries cheering on those who are still fighting their battles with cancer.

We looked through the items that were out for the "silent auction" and I put in a $22 bid on a picture valued at $70. Judy bid on a couple items also. Then we watched as the three people carrying the torches went by, meaning those who were lighting the luminaries would now do so. It was quite an amazing sight! However, it had been so very hot that day that many of the candles had melted and tipped over, not standing straight, which meant many bags burned up immediately. Judy said it was not as awe-inspiring as it is normally, but I was still very touched by the whole ceremony.

After we'd watched for a while, we heard a group from Ashby beginning their set of music, so we decided to go and sit and listen to them for a while, before we called it a night.

Photos © Donna Johnson
White "luminaries" for Ron & Coni, left; my bid won the picture at right.

Photo © Donna Johnson
Relay For Life Band: Kris Williams, Becky Williams, Bruce Ellingson, Mike (drummer) and Lori Risbrudt. (Lori and Bruce are Beaver's niece and nephew.)

Learning To Share

Had Brooklynn and Rylie here a couple hours recently. Rylie was kind enough to share the Sit & Spin with Brooklynn, and vice versa, after they decided it didn't work very well with both of them on board.

Photos © Donna Johnson
Rylie & Brooklynn learn to take turns on the "Sit & Spin."

Book Adventure

Here's a great site I ran across, to help get the kids back into reading before school starts again. It's got lots of other activities listed, some of which you can participate in, along with your child. They say they have over 7,000 recommended titles available! They also mention a "Book Finder" that will locate books by subject matter and grade level. It's a free reading motivation program for children from K-8, so sounds like a good site!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Thanks to Ginny Dake McCorkell for sending last week's mystery pictures.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Thought I'd send my guess immediately, so I don't forget.

That would be our wonderful Grandmother, Amy Dake. Then circled around Uncle LeRoy, to the left on the picture, are my sisters, Patty and Marlene and on the right of the pictures, my cousins, Ardis and, with the face not showing, I believe that's Melanie.

Back to finish reading... :-)

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

The photo on the left is Grandma Dake. The right photo is Uncle LeRoy reading to: (from the left, clockwise) Patty, Marlene, Ardis, and probably Genelle in the floral dress with her back to the camera.

This photo was taken in the living room at Grandma and Grandpa Dake's with the east wall in the background. On the shelf in back are just a few of Grandma's many African Violets. To the right of them is my high school graduation picture (talk about a thorn in the flowers!). I don't know for sure who is in the other picture but let me take a stab at it: my guess is Donna.

Steve Miller
Coral Springs, FL

Editor's comment: Great guess and thanks for all the background info.

Thanks for the latest Bulletin! Good to see another picture of your Mom! (Amy Dake) They always seem to bring back memories of some wonderful times spent in the Dake Family realm. And your brother, LeRoy! Don't know the four pretty girls around him but that was typical! HE ATTRACTED THE PRETTY GIRLS... Again, lots of memories....

Tom & Lou Miller
Madera, CA

The GUESS picture is a beautiful picture of Amy Dake, and the next one is LeRoy ... one girl on his left shoulder is Gert's daughter -- the rest are questions.

Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Travelogue t

Greg and Sonja Dake left Durham, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

Photos © Greg & Sonja Dake
Old Town Lijiang.

Traveling to Yunnan Province

Wednesday morning it was up again early to pack and have one last trip to Old Town. We got packed up and, again, the bellboy showed up earlier than scheduled for our bags. We were almost finished when he came, though, so we finished up and let him take them down to the van.

We went again to the first floor restaurant for breakfast, which was much the same as the morning before. I was looking forward to coffee to get woke up and going, but this time it wasn't to be. Once again we ran into the cheap attitude of the hotel, because all the lights were off in the restaurant. And when I went to pour my coffee, a Chinese lady ahead of me started to pour some in her cup and said something and put it down, not sounding happy. I realized the coffee pots were cold, and so was the coffee. She said something to one of the staff nearby, and I put my hand over the burner and it, too, was cold. I checked that it was plugged in, and it was. I turned the knob up but it didn't warm up. One of the staff turned the lights on then, and the burner started warming up.

I took my food to our table, and told Greg what I'd seen. He wasn't surprised. He then happened to see one of the staff go to the coffee pots, pour the contents of one into the other, and take the empty pot away. Silly me thought this meant we'd get some fresh, hot coffee soon. Nope. Not only did no hot coffee arrive, but as soon as she got back from taking the empty pot away, she turned the lights back off so even the coffee that was there had no chance to get warm.

Such a cheap, stingy place to be more concerned about the electric bill than the comfort of their guests. Should we ever go back to Lijiang, there's no way we'll stay there again, nor recommend it. More like, warn people away from it. No, I'm not going to publish the name of it here, but should anyone be going there, just ask. ;)

By this time we had seen all of Old Town, multiple times, but back we went again. We did make a few more purchases, such as some carved, wooden, fan-shaped decorations for family and one for us, and some painted Chinese zodiac signs, a rooster for me and a tiger for Greg. Then it was time to head back to the van and go to the airport to return to Shanghai.

As we got back in the van, the guide asked if we would mind if another guide rode along with us. She said she needed to meet her guests but the van had already left for the airport. We said sure, we didn't mind. So a young Chinese lady met us at the van and rode along. We got to Lijiang airport in plenty of time to catch our flight.

The guide asked us to fill out a questionnaire on how well the tour was for us. (Will in Dali had had us do the same). We rated the hotel as low as we could and complained about the lack of heat. The guide got medium rating, the driver got an excellent rating as he was very good, polite, and a safe driver. We also gave the guide and driver 200RMB each as tips. I told the driver in my poor Mandarin, "Thank you, you did a good job."

Then we checked our baggage and headed through security. There was no line, and we were through and seated, waiting for our plane, in 10 minutes or less. I walked around looking at some of the things for sale, since I had a better idea than when we came in of what I was looking at. I didn't buy anything, though.

Our plane ended up being delayed by almost two hours, so we got a later start than planned. The flights back to Shanghai, with a stop again in Chunming to get off the plane and back in, was pretty much uneventful. The only thing worth mentioning was, once we were in the Chunming airport, I realized I had left my sweatshirt from the circus on the plane. I went to one of the desks to try to ask what to do about it, but neither of the girls there spoke any English.

I didn't want the airplane staff to leave my sweater at the Chunming airport lost and found, for me to never see again. So I went over to one of the security guards who was at the door we'd come in upon arrival. He didn't speak any English either, and I was about ready to go try someone else when a Chinese girl standing at the door, waiting, said to me in English, "What are you looking for?" I don't think I'd been that happy to hear my native tongue our entire trip! I told her I'd left my sweater on the plane and wanted to see if I could get it. She translated to the guard and he waved me to follow him.

I was so glad to have the chance to get my sweatshirt back I almost forgot to thank the girl, but as we walked back down the tunnel I glanced back and remembered and waved to her and said, "Thank you!" Sure enough, the flight attendants had my sweatshirt at the front of the plane and handed it back to me. The guard walked me back to the door and back inside, and I thanked him as well.

Addendum: I remembered after I posted this, something that may amuse some of the people reading this. On the plane from Chunming to Shanghai, we were given newspapers to read. I was rather amazed at this, because on all the other flights they only had Chinese language newspapers available but this time they had one in English.

Seeing as how this was the week before Chinese New Year and the beginning of Spring Festival, there was a big article in this paper about it. One of the sidebars of this talked about how many couples were planning to get married after Chinese New Year, because the upcoming year, the Year of the Dog, was considered a very lucky one for getting married. There was even the joke that many couples postponed getting married until then because the present year, the Year of the Rooster, was considered bad luck for getting married and said, "I guess you could say they chickened out."

I commented on the bad joke to Greg, and he read some of the sidebar, too. Then he said something about, "It's going to be a lucky year to get married, huh? Maybe you should find some guy and get married." :D To which I replied, "Well it *would* be a lucky year for it!" :D

Not long after that we got back on the plane and headed for Shanghai. We actually arrived on time, in spite of the delay boarding at Lijiang Airport, so they must expect that kind of thing to happen! Once back to Hongqiao, we again had to take a bus from the steps off the airplane to the terminal. Then get our luggage. Then the longest wait of all -- to get a taxi from the airport back to the hotel.

There was a long, winding queue outside for taxis, with a couple hundred people already waiting. It was very organized, though, with airport guards directing people to what taxi to get and taxis driving in four abreast. We got to the front of the line, asked the driver of the taxi we were directed to if he could take us to the hotel. (We had a hotel taxi card with us, still, for just this reason.) He didn't seem too positive but waved us to get in.

Once out of the airport traffic, he pulled off to the side -- which was amazing enough; all other taxi drivers had read the directions while still driving full speed through traffic! He figured it out, somewhat, and off we went. It took a few times of him doing this along the way, but we got there.

We checked back in, and once we had our luggage up to our room, we hooked up the router and got online to let family back home know we'd made it back to Shanghai just fine:

We are back in Shanghai, back from the towns of Lijiang and Dali in the Yunnan province. We have many many pictures and stories to share, but for now are quite exhausted. We're quite happy to luxuriate in our posh hotel room, which has working central heat and a Western style bathroom with an unlimited supply of toilet paper. You quickly learn what is really important when traveling in the hinterlands. Greg is writing up a post now about his adventures with the credit card companies freezing all his accounts because he's used them in a foreign country...

We had room service for supper, hamburgers and french fries, the closest to real Western food we'd had in five days. Then we were very soon soundly asleep!

to be continued

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log: http://sonjas-travels.blogspot.com/

Photo © Lori & Shawn Ostendorf
We went for a swim in a tropical freshwater sinkhole.

Lori & Shawn's Honeymoon Excursion
by Shawn Ostendorf
Rogers, MN
Part 2 of 2

As we shared many days on the ocean front beach, Lori and I decided we should really see what Mexico has to offer in regard to its history. With that in mind, we decided to visit the Mayan ruins at Chichén-Itzá. During our three hour drive to the ruins we were able to see how a typical Mexican family lives, visit a couple of shopping centers and have the opportunity to swim in a freshwater sink hole and have a delicious, authentic Mexican lunch.

As we arrived at our destination, we were warned that it could be very warm. Feeling generous, the tour provided a single 10 ounce bottle of water for each of the visitors. We realized in less than 10 minutes how important it was to have that water as the temperature had to be over 100 degrees with a full blast of humidity to make it almost unbearable. That proved to be the only negative part of this trip as the historic sites were incredible to look at. The tour allowed us to see and hear how the Mayan people engineered and constructed the buildings and play fields.

As we drove back to our resort, I remember thinking how fortunate we, as Americans, have it. In seeing how these people lived their lives, you could only grow admiration for all they were able to do over 1,000 years ago. I would strongly suggest if you're a fan of North American history and vacationing in Mexico, take the Chichén-Itzá tour. It makes for a very interesting day.

Photo © Lori & Shawn Ostendorf
Shawn & Lori, Mayan ruins.

Photo © Lori & Shawn Ostendorf
Lori & Pyramid of Kukulkán ruins at Chichén-Itzá.

Skinny Recipes  6

from Donnie Anderson
Isanti, MN

This is the best recipe we haved tried in a long time. Ten points for a hearty and satisfying meal -- and you can boost the nutrition even more using a whole grain, fortified pasta like Barilla Plus. It takes about 15 minutes start to finish, is filling and lick the bowl good! It took us a long time to try it but it will definitely be one of our regulars from now on. Eat healthy, Donnie Jr. dopaerza@netzero.net

Nutty Pasta Toss With Shrimp
2 Servings: 503 calories, 10 W.W. points
1 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp. ginger root, grated (bottled or fresh)
3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
1 clove minced garlic (bottled or fresh)
1 tsp. dark sesame oil
8 oz. shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 medium onion, sliced vertically
1 whole yellow pepper, sliced into 1/4" strips
1 cup spinach leaves, fresh
2 cups cooked rigatoni pasta (1-1/4 cups uncooked)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.

2. Coombine first 8 ingredients (cilantro through garlic) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Set aside.

3. Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan.

4. Add onion and yellow pepper to pan, sauté 3 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture, shrimp and spinach to pan.

5. Sauté 2 minutes more, until spinach just wilts. Serve over cooked pasta. Enjoy!

Photo © Donald L. Anderson
Nutty Pasta Toss With Shrimp

o In Service To Our Nation j
Gert Dake Pettit is compiling information on family members and friends of the Dake family who served in the armed forces during and after World War II.

Leslie Green, circa 1940, left; circa 1997, right.

Leslie Green

Leslie Green served in the army in World War II. He served in the Pacific Theatre in General Douglas McArthur's headquarters. Leslie received four battle stars for action in New Guinea, Dutch East Indies, Leyte and Luzon, Phillippine Islands.

This information was taken from his obituary. Leslie died March 9, 2000.

Leslie's mother was our dad, Bill Dake's, first cousin.

Leslie and Georgia Green, circa 1995.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
August 6---Sully Michael Brown (2 years)
August 7---Melanie Lehtola
Ausust 7---Weston Johnson
August 8---Erik Huseby (5 years)
August 11---Mitchell Allen Miller
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
August 6---Ryan and Heidi Johnson Henderson (1 year)
August 9---Jeff and Twila Anderson Aydelotte (15 years)

More August Birthdays
August 5---Austin Patrick Montford (1 year)

August 13---Jeffrey Todd Aydelotte, Jr. (11 years)
August 16---Jason Quick
August 16---Rod McNeill
August 16---Darryl McNeill
August 19---Christopher Michael Chap
August 19---Jordan Nicole Indermark (3 years)
August 24---Becky Chap
August 24---Maggie Zeppelin (2 years)
August 25---Jeff Aydelotte
August 26---Donna Richards
August 30---Jessica Ann Myron
August 30---Ethan Wallace Horne (4 years)
August 31---Devan Alexander Seaman (4 years)

More August Anniversaries
August 5---Wesley and JoAnne Sigman (17 years)
August 5---Sheldon and Mitzi Johnson Swenson (29 years)

August 15---Don and Dorothy Dake Anderson (56 years)
August 16---Eric and Leona Senenfelder Anderson (3 years)
August 20--- Shane and Jayna Lee Swenson (1 year)
August 28---Ken and Merna Morgan Hellevang (24 years)
August 30---LeRoy and Vonnie Thomas Dake (58 years)
August 30---Chris and Jennie Dake Horne (9 years)

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

When Dorothy got polio, there were others, too, that got it. One of them you may know: Lorraine Peterson Tabor, Ida Mae Peterson's sister. Lorraine lost her husband, Wayne, to diabetes, but she continues to live in their home in Northfield, Minnesota, with the help of good home health aides. This makes it possible for her to live alone and keep the mid-week Bible Study meeting in her home.

She has been a dear friend since teenage years. She also has been wheelchair bound all these years, with health complications, including serious breathing problems due to the polio, and now a cancer diagnosis.

Ida Mae kindly brought Lorraine up to our home to spend the day recently. We had Rod Martin come over to help us lift the wheelchair up three stairs into the house. It was so wonderful to be with her. A very sweet pretty lady, totally accepting of her lot. The worst part was that her handicap van does not have working air conditioning and both girls almost died of the heat during the hour and a half drive to our home.

I will attach a picture of Lorraine taken in our home during the visit.

Roy and Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Photo © Betty Droel
Lorraine Peterson Tabor


We are loving our cool house, but did have to go out to empty the mole trap Roy had set in the back yard. The moles are so bad, and they raise up the dirt with the grass on it, which dries out in the sun and dies. So, we have dry patches in the yard, which Roy does not appreciate. He made his own scissor type trap, which he knows just how to push down to be across the trail of the mole. He got two in just a couple of days.

We are getting old, and finally have to admit it. One of the evidences of our advancing age is to not put anything in the garden except what will come up each year with very low maintenance. Roy got several lily plants of different colors, which are tall and colorful and beautiful. They just bloom out there all on their own. We see them from the dining room window as they are the first row in the garden area. Takes some doing to keep the rabbits from getting the buds. Roy sprays them with cayenne pepper spray.

I took a picture of Roy after he reset the mole trap and was doing a little weeding amongst the lilies ... in Bulletin 213.

Roy and Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

A beautiful Bulletin, thank you to all for the efforts involved ... you can genuinely see it's a "job" done out of love!

Congratulations to Jessica and Jeff! I enjoyed the color-coordinated picture, neat idea!

Capt. Jack made me laugh, more than once ... thanks, Jack. Junior (Harry Anderson) would be a good one to discuss guitars with you, as far as I've gathered, it's been a passion with him too ... right, Jr. and Doris?

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

Just thought I would let you know I enjoy reading The Bulletin. :-) However, recently, each time it's sent via e-mail, it comes through twice.

The recent pictures of Elwood were great and I wondered if I could get a copy? Also enjoyed the Morgan family photo. I can't copy and paste portions from The Bulletin as I would like to.

Doris Anderson
LaMirada, CA

Editor's Note: The double mailing problem was easily fixed ... your address was included in two groups of names from my mailing list (by mistake on my part). I removed the extra one. Good luck next time!

Certainly, I will send you the pictures of Elwood and of the Morgan family. I remove portions from the web page, rather than the e-mail I send, by highlighting what I want, taking it to the "write" section and then sending it to myself.

Have a very quiet day, finally, so will send a note and some pictures (to be used in the reports about the servicemen of our family). The next one I am doing is Beau Birkholz, my grandson. I am also working on the one about Dennis (Blackstone).

It's quiet today because I started cleaning at 10 yesterday morning and finally quit at 11:30 last night. Don's daughter Judy and his granddaughter came in this morning from California, They are over at his son Jim's home now. Sounds like they are going up to Jim's cabin at Ashby for a couple days. Don will go with them. Judy will be here just for a week.

I have two weddings to go to this month -- Lisa's son Adam and Wes's stepdaughter Jesse. And I will also attend Beau's commissioning at the capital.

Gert Dake Pettit
Howard Lake, MN

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I have an opportunity to sit down to tell you how much we did appreciate all that went into putting another Bulletin together. I was anxious for it to arrive on Saturday morning, as I knew there would be a first picture worth waiting for, and there was. Quite a picture of "life" in that of the Lilies, with the buds and then the blossoms some smaller and some larger, but all beautiful in their own way. The vivid green enhanced the bright red, even on the printed page, but not nearly as much as in the one seen on the screen. Thank you again for your choice of the first picture, which sets the mood for the whole issue.

I was so also looking forward to the Update of Coni laid to rest. She will definitely live on in our memory. We keep thinking of Weston, knowing there will be so many adjustments and decisions and a loneliness one cannot describe. We know that time will make a lot of difference, as we have to go on with life, and somehow there is strength and hope for each tomorrow. Thinking of him a lot.

I didn't want to hear about the 110-115 temperatures in Phoenix ... our 103 is enough. We couldn't even hold onto the hot stair rail on the back steps. Our poor, beautiful, hanging plants have very droopy leaves, but they will get some water as soon as the sun goes down.

We have another engagement now to watch, with Jessica and Jeff. The Gauderman name is very familiar, however it would be an older generation.

What a lovely picture of the Morgan family -- 17 of them. I know where Blackduck is, and it seemed very remote, from when I remember it in the '60's.

I had never heard Jack and Virginia's story before. I do remember when Virginia was going to marry this Jack Adair, and he was an excellent musician. They are definitely living happily ever after, that I know.

I peeked ahead to be sure we had another chapter of the China trip. I am amazed at how Greg and Sonja recorded so much in word and picture for us. They must have had The Bulletin in mind, and we are really enjoying it.

We got to honeymoon with the newlyweds on a Caribbean beach! Thanks for including us in your lifetime memory making days. When I saw the picture of Lori's bridal bouquet, I expected it to be lemons!

Thanks for the sweet picture of Caity, the 10 year old. My niece, Shalana Weiland, will turn 10 on November 27th. Why do I wish she would just stay being my little niece?

We can't have too many pictures or stories about Don and Patty. We need the inspiration from the winners!

The Chuckles was pretty cute, Doug. We knew Levi would be in there somewhere, ha. He has so many expressions to photograph.

I was hoping to call Diana, so I would have some recent news of her, but the line is either busy or no one answers. We know she will be needing our thoughts as she begins to face the grueling treatment and effects of Avastin.

Everyone is so busy and so hot and so uninspired that you might think your Bulletin subscribers have lost their enthusiasm by our silence, but that is NOT so. We do thank you again for a most interesting Bulletin #215. They keep getting better.

Betty and Roy Droel


Photo illustration © Douglas Anderson; photo of Donnie Anderson by Larry Dake
As heat wave hangs on ... Donnie dreams of new challenges.

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: Compassion is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back. --Author unknown

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is dma49261@juno.com

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where