The Bulletin
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Summer Is Here!

Photo © Donna Johnson
McKenna Ostendorf plays with soap bubbles.
(Scroll down for more about McKenna's first birthday.)

Updates -

Photo © Amy Johnson
Storm clouds roll in over Lobster Lake from the west near sunset.

Update -- Lobsterpalooza turns wet and wild
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

About a month ago, e-mails arrived in the e-mail in-boxes of the friends of Shawn and Lori Ostendorf, inviting us to a weekend of fun and sun on their lot on Lobster Lake, near Alexandria. Games, food and fellowship were promised to all who arrived at the lake on the second weekend in June. The event even had an official name: Lobsterpalooza, after the Lollapalooza music festival. While the agenda for Lobsterpalooza did not include live rock and roll shows (maybe next year), we were ultimately treated to a little more adventure than we bargained for.

The guests began trickling in on Friday evening. Shawn and Lori had taken the day off to get a head start on preparations. Most of the rest of us had to log a day of work in the Cities and fight the summertime traffic on our drives north. However, by nightfall, a small village of tents had popped up on the lawn, burgers and brats had been grilled, and we settled in around the campfire to enjoy a beautiful evening.

On Saturday morning, the festival attendees rolled out of our tents and enjoyed breakfast burritos at Chez Lori. Soon, preparations were underway for the day's main event, an Olympiad of lawn games. The competition featured three events: Bean Bags, Bedposts and Badminton.

Photo © Amy Johnson
The Bedposts game in progress.

Bean Bags consists of two boards with about a six-inch hole cut into each. The boards are placed about 20 feet apart and participants try to toss small bean bags into the hole on the opposite board.

Bedposts is a similar game, except instead of a hole in a board, the target is a PVC-pipe frame with three crossbars. The projectiles are two golf balls joined by a one-foot length of rope. The purpose of the game is to toss the golf balls in such a way that they wrap around one of the crossbars, thereby earning points for the thrower.

Photo © Donna Johnson, left; photo © Amy Johnson, right.
Beanbag game, left; Lori demonstrates the bedposts game, right.

The third event, Badminton, consists of using tennis-like racquets to hit a plastic "birdie" over a miniature volleyball net without allowing said birdie to hit the ground. This is probably the most well known of the three events. However, it seemed to cause confusion among the committee responsible for creating the scoreboard, which was headlined "Bad Mitten."

When the games were ready to begin, the 12 attendees were divided into six two-person teams. Each team was supposed to feature one male and one female, but the lopsided guest list resulted in Lori and her friend Amy forming the only single-sex team. Each team would face every other team at each of the three events. In other words, every team would play each of the three events five times. Points would be awarded to the teams with the best records in each event. The winners would bask in the knowledge that they were the very best at three skills that otherwise serve no purpose whatsoever.

The games went on all afternoon. The sunny blue sky made it feel like summer was finally here to stay, while a breeze blowing off the lake kept the athletes cool despite the physical and mental strain of the hard-fought competition. Because the weather forecast had called for a chance of rain all weekend, we felt fortunate to enjoy such beautiful weather.

By 6 o'clock in the evening, the games were nearing a conclusion, as each team closed out the few remaining holes in its round robin schedule. The skies to the west were beginning to look a little gray, but not enough to cause worry. However, just as my team was beginning to play one last game of "Bad Mitten," we started feeling raindrops. Then the wind picked up. Then the raindrops turned into a downpour. Everyone ran for the cover of Shawn and Lori's camper trailer.

Soon the wind was driving rain and small hailstones against the side of the trailer. Then someone yelled, "Oh no, there goes Weston's tent!" Sure enough, the wind was strong enough to pull my tent up by the stakes and send it flying. For all I knew, it would be in the next county by the time the storm passed. Someone joked that I would probably find it in my front yard in Maple Grove, like a lost dog that somehow finds its way home.

We all got a laugh out of the fate of my tent, but then conditions worsened. Lori's heavy swing was picked up by the wind and dropped on a (fortunately empty) tent. The winds continued to pick up in intensity and it dawned on the group that a camper trailer was probably not the safest place to be. After about 10 minutes (which seemed a lot longer), the wind and rain began to calm down and we spilled out into the yard to assess the damage.

My tent had blown across the highway, but had fortunately lodged itself in the opposite ditch, suffering only a minor tear in the rain cover. The flying swing had snapped a couple of the poles on the tent on which it came to rest. Yet another tent had collapsed and sustained a large tear. And everything was soaking wet.

We began to try to dry our belongings and get our tents set back up. The weather had calmed down nicely and it seemed that, despite the monsoon, we would be able to recover and enjoy the evening. Then came round two.

Cell phone calls from concerned friends alerted us that another storm was approaching. This time, we didn't chance it. We all headed to the neighbor's house (complete with basement) and huddled in their living room watching the Weather Channel. More wind, rain and hail were soon upon us, although not to the extent of the previous wave. Eventually, things calmed down again and we headed back outside to assess the damage yet again. This storm had not yielded any more tent damage, but had re-soaked the tents we had just finished drying.

By now it was nearly 9 o'clock and would be dark soon. Some of the guests chose to head for home rather than try to salvage the night. A couple of us were able to dry out our tents to the point of rendering them usable for the night. By 10 o'clock, we had re-lit the campfire, although some of the girls had chosen to stay inside the camper trailer and watch movies instead. Can't say I blamed them.

Fortunately, the weather remained pleasant for the rest of the night. As we woke up the next morning, those of us who had stuck out the weekend recalled stories of the previous day's adventures. We all agreed that Lobsterpalooza had been a big success, up until Mother Nature decided to make her presence felt. But we all agreed that we looked forward to doing it again next year (hopefully without the hurricane).

Photo © Wyatt Johnson
McKenna with her parents, Lori & Shawn Ostendorf.

Update -- McKenna's first birthday
by McKenna Ostendorf (well, Daddy kind of helped :)
Rogers, MN

Well, I'm one year old, as of June 11th! What a year it has been... My life experiences started off by staying in the hospital for a week straight when I was born. I don't want to do that again, nor do I want to put my parents through that again, either! I thought Dad was going to have a heart attack a couple different times, but he and I pulled through. I have had a great year as I have met many of the readers of The Bulletin. I've also been to quite a few different places around the Midwest. Luckily for Mom and Dad, I'm pretty good in the car! I look forward to many more years of meeting people and seeing different places the world has to offer.

Well in the last two weeks, I was able to celebrate (in a small way) what the world offered here locally. Mom and Dad took me to the Como Zoo on my actual birthday ... that was after I had to have my one year old pictures taken. I didn't care for that so much as they were a pain and it took time away from the zoo, but I managed through it and they turned out pretty cute, if you ask me. While at the zoo, I was able to see zebras, tigers and monkeys. Ironically, I got most excited when I saw the kids playing and a dog being walked. Go figure.

My parents also gave me a birthday party at our lake. That was great. We had 17 people show up and I loved being the center of attention, that is until I wanted to get some shut eye ... no one can keep me away from my beauty sleep!

I want to thank everyone for the multitude of gifts I got and for visiting with me on my birthday. I had a great time and I hope you all did, as well.

Talk to you soon!

Photos © Shawn Ostendorf
All the kids from the party, left: (from Caity at the top, clockwise) Caity Chap, Keith Nordling, Brook Johnson, Rylie Johnson, Cole Winge, Jayce Chap, Kyle Nordling; McKenna laughing at the boys watching her eat her cake: McKenna, Kyle, Cole, right.

Photo © Sarah Steinhauer

Update -- Roy Droel celebrates 87th birthday
by Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

We were so thrilled that Rodger and Claudia invited us to spend the day with them.

They are both so very busy, but the best "gift" is time and they did just that. Also, their son, Andy, came to be with us and that was truly more time than he had to give, but that made it all the more special. Andy's wife and baby were not free to come along. Roy's other son, Darrel and his wife, Johanna, are in Virginia state.

Rodger and Claudia picked us up at 11:15 and took us to Jax. A lovely restaurant they like and we do, too, although we never go there on our own. We three had walleye and Roy had trout. They caught the trout right out in the little flowing stream behind the restaurant so it was fresh, that's for sure. Roy had a choice of catching it himself, which he declined. They had prepared it whole, but at the table they filleted it. The servers came with a cute little chocolate cake with candles burning singing "Happy Birthday" to Roy. They said it was made by their baker right in the restaurant, and it was most delicious. We even have a piece left over to serve Roy later on.

Then they had planned that we would go to the Mill City Museum. Andy met us there. They had a wheelchair so it was easy for Roy to enjoy it all all afternoon. The Gold Medal Flour plant had closed so they made it into a museum of nine floors.

Being from Minneapolis, we were very nostalgic about visiting the museum, as we remember when it was going and at its prime. They have an interesting program arranged to describe the life of the flour plant from the beginning of Minneapolis until the present. Being our dad had a sheet metal shop not too far from there, on Nicollet Island, we were familiar with it all, having grown up and seeing it most of our life. It was so interesting.

Then they went to the next building which is the new Guthrie Theatre building which was closed at the time, except to walk through it to go out on their observation deck, which overlooked the new 35W bridge they are rebuilding. It was the first time we had seen it since it collapsed, and they have come along quite a ways already. It was a sunny day, almost hot.

We were so exhausted, being that was such a different day than us two folks are used to, so we came home. Rodger drove down Central Avenue past Union Welding, where Roy had worked as a machinist and managed for many years until his retirement. The building is for sale, and rather sad to see all the old time landmarks corrupting and decaying, but thank goodness we have something greater and everlasting ahead for us.

We know you want to know how Roy's birthday went, so I just wrote this quickly before I bake him some chocolate chip cookies to top off the day. A recipe from Rosie Codner via Bernice Jacobson and they are very special. A gift of fresh cookies I know he will enjoy.

We had thought a storm was brewing on the way home, but it passed us by, it seems. Roy is waiting until it rains to mow the lawn as it is a cloud of dust otherwise. He has loved the cards and phone greetings -- and now to begin another year!

Shari Stamps & Kimberly Johnson.

Update -- Kimberly assigned to Eagle Bend area
by Kimberly Johnson

Shari Stamps and I have had three wonderful weeks together already in the Eagle Bend area! We have been quite busy and I've met many new and wonderful people. It's also been a real treat to see some familiar folks as well!

Grandpa and Grandma Anderson came up the past two Sundays for our meetings in Bertha -- very pleased to see their car pull up!

Plans are that we will be going to Seneca convention in early August, so we are looking forward to that. We'll most likely be in this area until September -- except for the convention -- so come visit sometime!

Photo © Richard Weiland
Emptied nest, left; newly fledged baby robin, right.

Update -- robins (final chapter)
by Rich Weiland
Coon Rapids, MN

I went to take another picture of the robin family. As I started to put the mirror up, the parents were in the nest also; they were rather upset with me and beat it out of the nest, along with the four young'uns. They squawked and squawked. I was able to take a final picture of one of the "babies" as it sat on the deck, scared half to death with all the commotion.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna Johnson
Caity & classmates next to the barn.

Caity's End Of Grade School Party

Caity's class, along with Sami, had an end of the year, end of grade school, party here. They had a blast! Thankfully, Beaver took them on a very long hike -- through the woods, up and down the hills and to the gravel pit for them to climb a while. They still had far more energy than any one person should have.

Photo © Donna Johnson
A long hike with Beaver.

They came back to the house and all filled up on the food I provided, then were back outside shortly afterwards. Mostly they played hide and seek, which seemed to be the crowd favorite. We got them to stop long enough to get a picture by the barn, near the bonfire Beaver had built for them. Devan Seaman had more fun doing the marshmallows than the older kids did!

Photo © Donna Johnson
Devan Seaman roasting marshmallow.

Nathan and Jayce enjoyed the little four-wheeler that Great Grandpa gave to Jayce last summer. I was surprised it could move with two of them on there. It's gotten lots of use, been a big hit!

Photo © Donna Johnson
Jayce Chap & Nathan Seaman on toy four-wheeler.

The older kids, Caity, Jayce, Keith and Kyle (Nordling) spent time in the lake, even though I think it is far colder than I could handle. That didn't stop them one bit!

Photo © Donna Johnson
Cold swim in the lake doesn't faze the older boys.

Aunt Lynnie's Kitchen

Aunt Lynnie's kitchen is like traveling back in time to your grandmother's kitchen. You'll find recipes, cooking tips, emergency ingredient substitutions as well as information on how to fix those cooking goofs that we all make, goofs such as sticky rice, lumpy gravy, etc. Grandmother sometimes forgot those important lessons but Aunt Lynnie can help! She has collected recipes over the years from family, friends, newspapers and old cookbooks. Now she is sharing her collection and has invited you to "Her Retreat" where you can relax and have some fun. Aunt Lynnie is certainly the aunt that we all wish lived next door!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Photo © Muriel Rodriguez
Siblings Elaine Wold, Don & DeLoris Anderson, and myself.

Don and I visited at Elaine Wold's home in Wahpeton, North Dakota. We waited for the signal (open window curtains and door ajar that indicate Elaine is not busy with her interchange) and then had opportunity to make our visit.

We toured Elaine's perennial garden and enjoyed the next hour or so visiting, having other visitors, enjoying lunch (served by Muriel and DeLoris) and seeing for ourselves that the necessary adjustments are working out well.

Elaine was told at her last checkup (just finished the day before) that she is progressing well. Step by step, things are adjusted as planned and are gradually accomplishing the improvement desired. She certainly is working to cooperate with the health caregivers and shows a very positive attitude.

In January of 2007, Duane Anderson came to Minnesota for a funeral (Bulletin 241) ... but at that time he did not have an opportunity to visit us. It was a very special occasion to have a visit from him and his wife, Charlene, last Sunday (June 15th).

They are visiting many of Duane's relatives here in the state, the main event of their visit being a family reunion. They stayed in a motel here in town while attending the reunion and visiting. Don and I were pleased that they contacted us and we could take them with us on Sunday morning.

At noon we had lunch together at Culver's. This picture was taken by a young lady who volunteered to get Don in the picture with the rest of us. We certainly caught up on the news about all of the Oscar and Sylvia Anderson family (not our relatives -- but friends of long standing). We did enjoy their visit so much!

Dorothy, Don, Charlene & Duane Anderson.

Don and I have been using our Sunday afternoons for the last two weeks to make trips to Bertha, Minnesota. We have been attending gospel meetings there that are conducted by Shari Stamps and our granddaughter Kimberly Johnson. It has been refreshing.

Photo © Donald Anderson
Kimberly Johnson & Shari Stamps.

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Shari Larson supplied last week's mystery picture.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... generally in the order we receive them, so the first guess received is on top.

This is Uncle Jim Miller. I would say that this was taken about the time I married into the Dake family (1970's).

Earl Stahlecker
Gatesville, TX

P.S. You had very few responses to last week's mystery. Kind of surprising to me. Sure glad I went ahead and made my guess.

Photo Editor's comment: the date of the photo (from Kurt Larson's collection), as we received it from Shari, was 1986.

That is Uncle Jim Miller. I remember him taking us out on his boat when we came to visit a long time ago!

Adriana Stahlecker Brown
Granbury, TX

Wow, I'd surely have to guess that strapping lad is my husband's handsome grandpa, Jim Miller. If it's not, it sure looks like him!

Jeni Larson
Warsaw, MN

I'm not personally acquainted with the fish ... but I'm pretty sure the man holding it is Uncle Jim Miller!

Carol Dake Printz
Sidney, NE

For once I am not even needing to guess on the Guess/Mystery picture this time. Jim Miller in one of his happier moments of being a young, strong man.

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

I'm wondering if that picture of Ginny and the doll was taken at Grandma Dake's house? Don't remember her covering the couch with that cover. Of course it might have been when I lived down south.

Gert Dake Pettit
Howard Lake, MN

LTD Storybrooke

Sweet Potatoes — Hot!
by Larry Dake

The workers hiked the six and a half miles from home to where my sheep camp was parked by the road, and Sherry brought supper and our girls in the pickup. I'd left Checker in the camp for the day, to help heal his broken leg.

I had to depend on the horse for help. It took a few hours for the sheep to understand there was no dog, but after they realized that they were difficult to redirect for the rest of the day.

The next morning, Jackson brought me, Rosie, a black and white border collie that had been Domingo's dog. He also took the horse with him -- it was needed elsewhere. (He said he would be bringing me a different one.)

Rosie flitted around my feet like a shadow. This helped a little because the sheep were dog-broke and respected her presence. But, the first time I raised my voice, she disappeared. I didn't see her again until I got back to camp that evening; she was cowering under the camp wagon.

(Rosie: not to be confused with a red Australian Kelpie, also named Rosie, that I later owned.)

That evening, Checker hobbled after the sheep when we folded them onto the bedding ground. We had no night corral or water at this camp. I watered the sheep during the day at remote watering places.

There were five black sheep in the flock. The black sheep were fitted with bells. At night we slept with the sheep-camp windows open, to hear any ringing of the five bells.

Vigorous ringing meant something had alarmed the sheep -- maybe a coyote -- and they were up and running. I would rush out and investigate; if all was well I'd run, or walk, around and around the flock, whistling a low, soft whistle until they all calmed and began to bed down.

A gentle tinkling sound meant the sheep were up and were beginning to err from the bedding ground; this happened nights when the moon was bright. Usually a sharp whistle from the doorstep was enough to bring the wanderers back.

We routinely heard the gentle tinkling early most mornings. I'd eat a quick breakfast and be out the door in time to see the sun rise; the last of the ewes would leave the bedding ground with their sleepy lambs in tow; the best mothers waited until their babies woke on their own.

By day, the black sheep were called marker-sheep. If I (or Jackson) could see all five, it was an indication that I probably had the whole flock together. However, if one of the five were missing it was likely that up to one fifth of the flock were missing too. If two or three black sheep would have been missing -- well, then I would have been in "pretty big trouble."

These five black sheep were the bellwethers of the flock -- though ours were ewes, not wethers. Ringing of the bellwethers' bells indicates the presence of the flock and its collective direction and speed of travel.

The term bellwether, correctly, has come to mean a person (or a thing) indicative of a trend. The use of the word to indicate a leader, however, is somewhat in error. The bellwethers don't actually lead the flock, although the flock is tuned into the actions indicated by their bells. The ringing of the bells communicates information about the flock, to the flock, and to the shepherd: the bells help to keep the flock together.

Sherry and the girls were at camp every night from supper til breakfast, except when we had company at the house; they commuted home each day. I was spoiled to enjoy a prepared breakfast, packed lunch, ready supper -- and washed dishes.

(Esteban would heat himself a sweet potato on his early morning coals. (He preferred yams if they were available.) He would carry this "hot-potato" in his pocket -- a sort of sheepherder's crock pot. By noon it would be ready to eat.)

Checker was back to work the day after Rosie came, running on three cylinders. I carried him when I could, as running on three legs would enlarge the holes already worn in the pads of his feet. I tried to fashion booties for him, but he ripped them off as fast as I could put them on. (Later, Jackson gave me some liquid-bandage that I poured over his pads.) Rosie traveled along with us, but if there was any action, she fled back to the wagons.

We had a lot of cool, rainy evenings, which we spent in our cozy abode, listening to the crackling of the fire and the hiss of the gas lamps.

The evening before moving to our next camp, Amy was drawing pictures, Sarah was reviewing her alphabet, Sherry was packing my lunch, again, and I was penning a letter to my folks. I wrote: "The new herder is to arrive here from Peru soon, so I may be going home to a hot bath and a king size bed."

In the morning, I would begin the long trek across the large, dry, lake bed to the west. I would find my sheep-camps waiting at a place called Black Bull Springs.

Photo © Larry T. Dake
Sheep in the night.

Larry McCorkell sent us a manuscript he transcribed from his father's tape recorded memories and made it available to The Bulletin for a series of excerpts. These stories were originally tape recorded by Bruce McCorkell of his growing up days on the homestead near Effie in northern Minnesota. They were recorded from a period of the mid 1980's until the early 2000's. These are Bruce's words of happy, sad, funny, good, and hard times.


There weren't many of the settlers in that country that had enough land cleared off and the stumps or rocks out. They probably had land cleared, but they didn't have the stumps off so they had to put up a lot of their hay by hand. They cut the brush off and burned it and it wasn't long before they had pretty good hay, just growing voluntary there, but it had a lot of weeds.

Cutting the hay for the livestock was done mostly by the scythes. They cut the hay with a scythe because the stumps were still there. Then they put it in little hay shocks. A lot of it you had to carry by hand because you couldn't get the wagon and the hay rack between the big stumps if they were too close together to pick up the hay. You could maneuver a hay mower around through the stumps pretty well in a few places, but a lot of it was cut with the scythe. The hay grew pretty good. We had a lot of hay to put up by hand.

So those were the tough days, I'll tell you. We worked hard. All the settlers and all the women and all the men worked hard. The dry years were in thirty-four, thirty-five, thirty-six, and in there. We hayed by hand during the thirties. That's when I was a little older when it was so terrible dry. Most everybody had a couple of cows and a team of horses and some young stock. There wasn't much hay. In order to get hay enough to last to the next year, they had to cut hay everywhere there was around the area that had been cleared. You had to scrounge from all over the country just to get a little hay for the stock.

Travelogue t

Photo © Tim Holman
Cascade in Liberty Lake Park, Liberty Lake, Washington.

Photo © Tim Holman
Deer in Liberty Lake Park, Liberty Lake, Washington.
(See what happens when Hunter's Grandpa Tim Holman steps behind a camera.)

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Appalachian Trail Trek: June 1973
by Jerrianne Lowther
Anchorage, AK

We made it through the Great Smoky Mountains while the bears were still sleeping but that wasn't the case when we got to Shenandoah. Bears in Shenandoah were experienced hands at separating hikers from their food supplies. We kept our food tied up in trees, out of their reach, but other hikers with less experience weren't as well prepared -- or as lucky -- and we had to defend ourselves several times. Yelling and blowing our whistles had no effect on the bears; several people throwing rocks onto other rocks and waving their arms and shouting to make as much noise as possible from multiple directions worked, though success wasn't guaranteed.

Most of the wildlife we encountered was harmless ... bears and snakes being the main exceptions ... and most encounters were at least interesting, and often delightful. Colorful songbirds were everywhere and we watched them with pure delight. Spruce grouse on the trail used the "broken wing" ploy in hopes of luring us away from their vulnerable chicks. We played their game but always watched out of the corners of our eyes as grouse chicks scurried for cover. Once we saw a snake eating a toad, with only the feet of the victim protruding from the snake's mouth.

In moist woods in spring we sometimes encountered red efts, the juvenile stage of the Eastern Newt. These colorful orange salamanders with bright red spots spent their infancy as eggs and tadpoles in water, walked about on the forest floor during their youth, and returned to an aquatic environment as adults. We found them delightful.

Kyra returned from a trip to the outhouse with a report of a mouse she encountered there. She shined her flashlight on it to see it better and when it tried to hide by the outhouse door, she dared to touch its tail, to see what a mouse felt like, though she was relieved when it finally left.

"We stopped for the night at Byrds Nest Four, the last of four stone shelters built as a gift from Senator Harry Byrd. Perched atop an open ridge, it offered distant valley views, five fireplaces and a picnic table in a grassy front yard, and an unforgiving concrete floor on which to spend the night. We shared the space with one other couple. Together we watched in fascination as deer ambled almost within reach to graze. Night brought a near-full moon to silhouette deer out front, and a raccoon that came to sit quietly on the picnic table and look around.

"The skunk wasn't so polite. I was sleeping on my side and didn't know it was directly behind me sniffing at my ear. I rolled over -- on top of it. I felt a momentary lump and heard my bedside canteen fall over as the skunk scurried away. Looking sleepily at moonlit white stripes, I prepared for doom.

"'What's happening?' Jerri asked, waking at the commotion.

"'Skunk. I rolled over on it. I'm waiting for a blast of Chanel No. 5.'

"'Hmmm,' she said, looking over my shoulder, 'more like Evening in Pearisburg, if you ask me.'

"The other couple didn't take it with such calm. Snacks they kept handy for nighttime nibbling had attracted the visitor in the first place, but they didn't make the connection. They tried to shoo the skunk away as it rummaged through their gear. I thought they might take a hint when I hung our packs from the ceiling, but they didn't. The last I heard before dropping off to sleep was an anxious whisper, then another....

"'Is it gone yet?'

"'No, it's still here.'

"The weather cooled for our last two days in Shenandoah and we covered the final twenty-five miles in routine fashion. We saw more deer, some grazing near the trail, others bounding across our path and into the woods, barely touching the ground. One stood near and still as we approached. As Jerri carefully prepared to take its picture, it carefully walked away." --from Walking North, by Mic Lowther.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
June 24---Aiden Montford (5 years)
June 25---Ben Henderson
June 26---Greg Wm. Dake
June 26---De Myer
June 27---Sam Mellon
Happy Birthday!

More June Birthdays
June 1---Jeremiah Dake
June 4---Merna Hellevang
June 5---Rian de Been van Gageldonk
June 6---Jettison Quaid Freesemann (3 years)
June 7---Shane Swenson
June 8---Ashley Huseby (5 years)
June 11---George John Larson
June 11---McKenna Christine Ostendorf (1 year)
June 12---Andrea Dake Mendez
June 16---Gina Henderson
June 17---Louise Cloyd
June 18---Caitlynn Mae Chap (12 years)
June 19---Doris Anderson
June 19---Ashley Meyer
June 20---Spencer Aydelotte
June 20---Roy Droel
June 20---Julian Montford
June 21---Ary Ommert, Jr.

June29---Tim Huseby
June 29---Trinidy Creede Roberson (2 years)

June Anniversaries
June 3---Larry and Ginny Dake McCorkell (36 years)
June 6---Wyatt and Jolene Johnson (10 years)
June 7---Clark and Susan Miller Smith (17 years)
June 8---Jeff and Jessica Myron Gauderman (1 year)
June 10---Jim and Kristi Larson Indermark (8 years)
June 18---Jason and Tami Anderson Hunt (4 years)
June 19---Curt and Patty Anderson Henderson (26 years)
June 20---Rich and Marlene Anderson Johnson (27 years)
June 20---Steve and Marian Miller (38 years)

June Special Days
June 6---D Day
June 14---Flag Day
June 15---Father's Day
June 21---First Day of Summer

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

To you and your staff: loved your birthday card! :-)

from Doris Anderson, LaMirada, CA

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

Would it be possible to get this Bulletin every week? Also, who are the "Alaska Correspondents"?

Jay Miller
Alexandria, MN

Editor's comment: Yes, I will add you to my mailing list as soon as I finish this letter to you.

First, to address your question: the Alaska Correspondents are Jerrianne Lowther (I know you do know our daughter Donna Johnson ... Jerrianne is her sister-in-law ... and Miss Kitty is her very talented "writing cat.")

And that brings me to a second comment: We would like you to write a little, too. Would you please introduce yourself to the readers? You can be as brief or wordy as you wish. A good introduction tells us how you fit in the family, what you do for work, and anything else that helps tell people just who you are ... personal information is not expected. A nice picture to run with it would be appreciated.

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

At first I was quite surprised at this first picture being what it was for Father's Day, and then in looking at it more closely I could certainly see why it was chosen.

The intense coloring making each stem an individual beauty, and the colorful way all the indescribable colors blended together into a lush bouquet (even if it was just a pail full of flowers for sale at a Farmer's Market). No way we could have had a picture of a certain dad as there are so many new dads and great dads and big dads and small dads [and grandads!] where do you even begin to recognize and honor them all in just the one picture? So, I decided that this beautiful picture of a mass of colorful flowers all blending together truly described and honored Father's Day for our many worthy, individually different, Bulletin fathers.

Then the much appreciated details of how Virginia Adair had a fall which ended up with a broken hip and hospitalization with the gruesome results of pain and surgery and therapy. We who have been there and done that know only too well what our friend is facing. Life-long results of something that happened instantly. So, it sounds like Alexandria will be getting another family moving in.

It was especially interesting to me to see the Update on the wedding of Duane Miller's Penny by Ardis Quick. The photo with Jay on it couldn't look more like his dad did. A beach wedding was something very individual, and we wish many happy years to the bride and groom and little Abigail.

Wyatt, the update on your new vehicle was full of details all the men would be interested in. You were one fortunate person to have had the opportunity to buy the 2007 GMC Yukon and sell your present car so easily. Your friend in Germany would be glad you had gotten it so it would be well cared for and put to good use for your growing family. Glad you included the pictures. I rode in Verlaine's new van with the backing up video so I know how nice that would be when you have children to look out for.

Koen de Been leaving for the assignment was very touching. To see him leave would not be easy, but his knowing he has the deep love of a caring family behind him will be a great help to him as he adjusts to the life of a soldier.

It was fun to read about the summer vacation for the Andersons from Wahpeton, North Dakota. I doubt there is a lady (or man) reading about that garage sale and seeing the pictures of the well organized and supplied sale items that wouldn't want to be there to sort through and relieve you of a lot of "stuff." What a precious picture of Jazmine and that cute little Greta. Looks like she understands perfectly about the horn and radio.

Can you even imagine what a thrill it must have been for Meryl to win not only that Waverunner, but also the trailer? Will provide many happy hours breaking it in.

Thanks, Donna Mae, for the shots of Beaver's shop so we can see where he spends his time. Sounds like Donna's dad provided a lot of necessary things for shop work, and it wouldn't have been easy for Dad to dismantle his own shop after getting it just the way he wanted it. It would be a good feeling to know Beaver has it now. It looks well organized, with about anything a farm shop would need. I well remember the little kitchen at the Ashby Laundromat, and it made me think of that when I saw the picture of the microwave and fridge and coffee pot off in a corner of the shop.

LTD Storybrooke's story about "Angels" was as clear in his memory as if it were last week. Setting a lamb's broken leg was an important lesson by Esteban, and I doubt you ever dreamed you would be using that information on your beloved Checker!

Very interesting how you had already had experience making the plaster casts. All in all, you were able to take care of the situation with the help of several others that seemed to step in at just the right time. We need an update on Checker now to know how he healed up, and how long he wore the cast and how soiled it had gotten. The picture of the shepherd and sheep dog looked desolate and lonesome to me.

It is different kind of subject to have Homesteading Days by Bruce McCorkell. We do have a variety in The Bulletin unequaled in interest and photos from any family letter I have ever seen. The stumps would bring back memories to any homesteaders and even Roy remembers pioneering the land as he was growing up. That was a story from experience which made it not only interesting but valuable knowing there are not too many old timers anymore that would ever remember it in having lived it themselves.

The Travelogue with Eiffel Tower in the background is one we have seen often in The Bulletin, but this is the only one with our friend Curt in it. I made it a point to click on each of the links in that story about visiting Paris and London. It helped we who are stay-at-homes to enjoy the travels, too. Our son and his wife travel to Paris every time they get frequent flier miles accumulated. There must be quite a pull after having been there.

Sometimes I see a picture in The Bulletin that I would think could be enlarged and hung on the wall, and this time it was of Kyra sitting on the mountaintop in Virginia playing something with the blue sky and puffy clouds in the background. One in a million type of a picture that would have been taken on that trek. She wanted one of everything at McDonald's for her birthday. Can you imagine how starved an 11 year old would be for something like that after all that hiking and hiking food for months? Anyway, I love that picture of her.

What a contrast in just 10 short years for the newlyweds to the family of five. We love hearing about that family growing and the pictures involved and the little diary of how Rylie looks at life, etc. -- and all too soon there will be more to write about, even if it's just a new puppy. Thank you for taking time to share all this with us, Wyatt and Jolene.

I knew Patty Anderson was a very special lady from the way others have mentioned her help, and she is so caring for my dearest friend, Myrtle Stitt who is failing in health more all the time. I was glad to see your letter to the editor, Patty. Thank you for your kindnesses.

When I read the letter to the editor from Mitzi and Sheldon about their backpacking trips in September and November at first I was thinking it was from Steve and Marci, Shalana and Krista. They are backpacking and hiking right now out in Utah. I hope they will be sharing their trip with us as well as pictures when they get home next week. It takes youth and energy and daring to ever do all these folks have planned! I am sitting here trying to imagine it all, and more and more thankful for the safety of the computer chair.

Now THAT Chuckles cartoon has no competition. It is one of a kind, and another of Bitzi's creations. Soon will be the first day of summer and so the time and seasons go.

The Quotation for the day was very timely for Father's Day.

Thank you for Bulletin #313 and if my vocabulary wasn't so limited, I could tell you how much we really do enjoy and appreciate being included in your list of subscribers.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell and Douglas Anderson
Douglas Anderson, Marlene Anderson, Melinda Wold, Patty Anderson.

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time. --John Lubbock

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where