The Bulletin
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Photo © Whitney Johnson
Plucking tree-ripened plums for jam.
(Scroll down for the story.)

Updates -

Photo © Jennie Horne
Back row: Levi, Sarah & Michael Steinhauer, Ken & Amy Harrison, Larry, Suzanne & Virginia McCorkell, Samuel Cannon, Sonja & Greg Dake, Sean Cannon, Jennie & Chris Horne; front row: Larry & Sherry Dake, Kira Steinhauer, LeRoy & Yvonne Dake, Carolyn Dake, Ethan Horne, Ernie Dake, Carrie Horne. Samuel & Sean are Sonja's sons, who live with Sonja and Greg now.

Update -- Celebrating 80 years -- and 60 years wed
by Larry Dake
Brooks-Oklee, MN

Sherry and my girls are gone for the weekend, to her brother Tim's cabin. I may join them later. I stayed back to go to the sale barn tomorrow with some feeder lambs. Perhaps you will hear from one of the two ladies, but if not, I'll just say that all of Mom and Dad's kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids were present to celebrate Mom and Dad's 80th birthday, [July 3rd and 5th].

Some of the younger folks walked a few blocks from Mom and Dad's to see the Blaine 4th of July Parade. The "Southern Dakes" went on to visit Carolyn's side of the family Saturday night and Sunday afternoon the "Northern Dakes" returned home to northern Minnesota.

Sarah and Mike [Steinhauer] moved to their new place near Wannaska on Monday and Tuesday.

Editors' Note: We requested a few words to go with the photo of this family reunion, in honor of the parents' 80th birthday and their 60th wedding anniversary next month. Our hearty congratulations to LeRoy and Vonnie Dake ... and our thanks to LTD for answering our last minute request. We hope to hear more details in another Bulletin.

Photos © Melanie Lehtola
Brandon's blues, left, from Brian's birthday & retirement cake, right.

Update -- Brian Lehtola retires from Army National Guard
by Brian and Melanie (Sigman) Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

We celebrated Brian's 40th birthday and his retirement from the Army National Guard this past weekend at Ardis and Charlie Quick's home in Roseville, Minnesota. Brian turned 40 years old on July 4th and will be retired from the military on July 28th, after 22 years, 11 months and 14 days of service.

Many family members came to celebrate with Brian; even Eddie, Peggy, Donna and Caity traveled three hours from Ashby to join us! It was a great weekend to have a pool party; there was lots of sunshine and many hours spent in the pool! As you can see by the pictures, the kids got a little color as they frolicked in the pool ... except Brandon ... his "color" came from the frosting on his dad's cake!

"Thank you!" to everyone who attended to make his day very special. A really big "THANKS!" to the Quicks for opening up their home (and pool!) for the party and to Ardis for all work she put into preparing the food.

Photos © Melanie Lehtola
Brianna Lehtola, left & Caity Chap, right, enjoy the pool.

Photo © Sarah Steinhauer
Kira Steinhauer discovers dandelions.
(The Steinhauers have just moved from Warroad to Wannaska.)

Update -- news from Montana
by Ruth (Weiland) Kitto -- Ken, too
Apache Junction, AZ (when we are home!)

Good morning from the lovely mountain area in Southwestern Montana --Ken's "home" -- and I've adopted it, too!

The first stop on our journey was at son Don's, in Salt Lake City. We spent three days there. Some high points: a super dinner at the River Horse -- elegant! On Sunday morning meeting new folks to me. Lots of tours of Salt Lake City!

Then, on Monday, we left Utah and headed to Montana -- to son Bill and Char (Curtis)'s home in Great Falls. And then the service for Robert Miller. That was special for me as I ( we) have known the Millers from earliest memories in Minnesota. It was so neat for us to get re-acquainted a bit with Jim and Tom Miller.

Another high point was to meet Shari Larson -- since we go "way back," too. I had never met her before but we knew many of the same people. For instance, we touched a bit on Edith Anderson (Verlaine Weiland's mom) and her life full of kindness and friendship to anyone who knew her!

Now we are in Townsend, Montana, with son Rick and Elaine. The "boys," (Ken, son Rick, and grandson Craig) are on some kind of project, so Lana, (granddaughter-in-law), Craig's wife and little girl, Mollie, and I will go to Helena for shopping!

Then we will go to a U.S. Ranger station up in the mountains and have a reunion of Ken's family! We are getting so excited about it! It is planned for the weekend. There will be many motor homes, 5th wheelers, tents and some sleeping in the cabin. Ken used to have his many hundreds of cattle in this area so many more memories!

Hopefully, we will have pictures to share next time. We are going to see the "homestead" of his parents -- it is a pile of old pieces of lumber at this time.

Photo © Marlene Johnson, left; photo © Whitney Johnson, right.
Whitney Johnson picks plums for jam.

Update -- fruitful endeavors in California
by Whitney Johnson
Redding, CA and Moorhead, MN

We just wanted to send in a little update on where we are and what we're doing. We're still in Redding, California, but Dad's job is finally finishing up here, so we'll be on our way shortly. We've been able to keep busy with tooling around Redding and the surrounding area. Last week we went and picked wild blackberries, plums, and strawberries and made a few different kinds of jam. The toaster has seen a steep rise in usage the past couple of days!

Since the lightning storm a couple of weeks ago, the fires in this area have been keeping Redding well supplied with smoke. We've driven up into the hills a couple times to watch the fires that are across the river. The thunderstorms that we looked forward to in Minnesota, we now dread in California because of the high fire danger. Many people are saying that in all the years that they've lived in Redding they've never seen fires this early in the season.

Mark has spent most of the time that we've been in Redding up in Yreaka at Sue and John Crawford's, Dad's sister and brother-in-law. He's had a blast riding on horses, quads, and dirt bikes with all the cousins.

This week, Mark is up at the Johnson family reunion in Seattle with most of Dad's family. We couldn't go because Dad couldn't miss that much work, but Mark was able to catch a ride with Grandma and Kathy, Dad's sister. It sounds like they are having a wonderful time and he'll be back by this weekend.

We are entirely enjoying our time here and will miss this area and the people here very much!

Photos © Whitney Johnson
Strawberry, blackberry & plum jams ... ready for toast!

Update -- nursing school's done for busy LPN
by Melanie Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

I'm not quite as busy as I was about two months ago! I graduated from the Practical Nursing Program from St. Cloud Technical College on May 16th (very proud of my 4.0 GPA) and passed my state boards on June 2nd. I can now follow my signature with a "LPN"! I'm planning on working to become a RN, but probably not for another year or so.

I was offered a full-time LPN position at the Veterans Administration in St. Cloud but turned it down to work for REM, a home health care business based in St. Cloud. My client is a 2-year-old boy in Cokato who has kidney disease, is currently on a ventilator and requires 24/7 nursing care. We are waiting for his discharge from the University of Minnesota, so for now I'm taking a much needed "breather."

Beau and Stephanie's wedding music CD introduced me to a song by Mark Harris that is titled "Find Your Wings"; the following is the chorus:

I pray that God will fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things.
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings.

It is only by the grace of God, and the incredible help and encouragement from my family, that I've made it this far. God gave me the dream and my family helped me to accomplish it.

Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
Mai Tai -- he gets out of the bag on his own.

Update -- everything's fine, 'cept the sun doesn't shine
by Miss Kitty
Anchorage, AK

You've probably noticed that I haven't been able to get my paws on the keyboard for the longest time! We've had company that's allergic to cats (present company excepted) so we've been kept upstairs and the computer went downstairs, which is off limits to cats. Well, theoretically. Mai Tai and I are both quick as a flash and we're accomplished escape artists. He even made it outdoors one morning when Miss Jerrianne opened the door to get the morning paper. She had to throw a jacket over her pajamas and chase him down. He tried to hide in the ferns under the rose bushes but she got him by the tail, so his adventure was pretty short lived, but he keeps trying.

Our company kept the bedroom door closed so we wouldn't make her sneeze but I sneaked into her room while Miss Jerrianne was downstairs finishing up The Bulletin. Of course, she saw me and chased me out of her room, while I made it as difficult as possible. While I distracted her, Mai Tai sneaked in and she didn't know he was there until she went to sleep ... and then he jumped out of hiding and startled her awake by jumping on top of her. We thought that was pretty funny and we've been watching our chance but it hasn't come up again.

We've had far too much time on our paws now that the gardening season is in full swing, so we have been practicing. Mai Tai is very athletic and he can open doors that have handles instead of knobs. Nobody needs to let the cat out of the bag around here -- he can manage that himself.

Life has been good here, though we need more sun and more rain, and we love having company like Miss Sharon, who brought us fresh salmon and halibut. We like our fish raw and we've been feasting. Halibut sushi is ever so much tastier than those kitty crunchies that come in a bag.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who is this beautiful young girl presiding over our corner of domestic bliss? Thanks so much for allowing it out to us on "loan"! I expect we'll have to surrender it one day to the next generation of Johnsons ... but it will be a beautiful addition to our home until then!

Patty Anderson
Isanti, MN

Photo © Patty Anderson
Guardian of the corner of domestic bliss.

That is the middle one of our lovely daughters! Now then, Marlene had been given the painting by her cousin Ginny McCorkell. It was a copy of her graduation picture. She kept it hidden away. In one move, she decided to throw it away and Rich took it. I don't remember quite how we got it, but it was given to us and I carried it everywhere we moved, but I could never find a way to display it. I am not sure exactly how I managed to get it to the proper people ... but sure enough, it has found a home ... and is yours to display. You and Don are the owners ... no strings attached!

Dorothy (and Don) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Shari Larson supplied last week's mystery picture.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... generally in the order we receive them, so the first guess received is on top.

The picture is of Larry and Joanne Mack and their son Lyle.

Jim Miller
Bradenton, FL

Editor's comment: That's the first answer and two out of three isn't bad for a picture that "ancient." :-) Their son's name is Chris.

That looks like the Larry Mack family ... Larry, Joanne and son. I can’t remember their son’s name but his Grandpa would love to take him fishing in Minnesota.

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

I pass definitely on the GUESS/MYSTERY picture. I even scrutinized the pictures and the cabinet looking for clues, but drew a blank!

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

LTD Storybrooke

Photo illustration © Larry T. Dake

Photo illustration © Larry T. Dake
Sheep Dog

Larry McCorkell sent us a manuscript he transcribed from his father's tape recorded memories and made it available to The Bulletin for a series of excerpts. These stories were originally tape recorded by Bruce McCorkell of his growing up days on the homestead near Effie in northern Minnesota. They were recorded from a period of the mid 1980's until the early 2000's. These are Bruce's words of happy, sad, funny, good, and hard times.

Part 3

We didn't have meat and like I said, this was in the depression. It was getting late enough in the year so a person could shoot a partridge. My dad never shot birds until they were big enough. We didn't always have the time or able to see a partridge, although they were plentiful. So this one time we went up there and they thought it was getting late enough so they could shoot a deer. The meat would be pretty good.

There was a creek that ran through there and a beaver dam on the end of the meadow. Walt Miller said he'd go over on the other side there, so Dad and I went down on the side towards the meadow. We sat there and sat there and sat there and didn't see anything and finally Dad said, "We better be getting back, because it will be dark and we won't find our way through that swamp. We won't be able to see the path."

We had to go through that real spruce swamp. You couldn't find it after dark. We had to go through about half a mile of that and then we got into the more brushy area. We didn't have a flashlight. That's what the trouble was. We wouldn't be able to see the path. We were hustling along there. We had just left the hay meadow. You couldn't find the trail in the dark because there wasn't enough brush; it looked all pretty much the same.

Pretty soon we heard a whistle. Walt Miller and Dad used to whistle to each other on their thumbs. They could call loons and all that kind of a thing. You could hear that for a long ways. My dad could cup his hands and whistle and he could and make it sound like a loon even. So we heard this whistle. It sounded just like old Walt Miller whistling on his thumbs.

We heard this and Dad said, "Well, that's Walt. I wonder what he's whistling for." We never thought too much of it because we were walking, so Dad stopped a second and gave a short whistle back and kept right on going. He said, "If we don't get out of here, we won't find our way."

Pretty soon it answered, so we kept going and he did it again and my dad answered and he did it again and my dad answered, but all the time we were hustling right along. So this went on for a little bit.

Pretty soon he give a little longer blast. Finally my dad said, "Hey, that's not Walt, that's a wolf, a big, old timber wolf." At least he sounded big. Well, when you’re out in the middle of a swamp, they sound big. It was a timber wolf because of the way he howled. It wasn't a long howl. The whistle sound was just really deep or bass. It wasn't a sharp whistle. I had heard all kinds of wolves, but I had never heard anything like that. It was a big, old timber wolf and he was just giving a little whistle. It sounded exactly like Walt Miller whistling on his thumbs.

The first few times it was almost identical to the way Dad was whistling. We kept going and the old wolf kept following along beside of us, not too far away. We were walking kind of parallel to a crick, about a quarter mile from it. He was between the crick and us. He was really close. We finally got out there to where we could get into the brushy part of the path and we made it out to the shack and Walt was sitting there and Dad asked him, "Did you howl?"


You know, it really made your hair stand up a little bit. So this old fellow came pretty near up to the camp before he made one last howl and took off. He was just curious. Naturally, you feel kind of uneasy. That was the first time I really heard a timber wolf real close. He was probably having fun with us. Then he really let off some real blasts.

I'll tell you, there's a lot of difference between a wolf howling and yapping and one of those old timber wolves when he sounds off. He starts really way down low and comes all the way through the whole thing. It was kind of good.

Travelogue t

Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
White Mountain Avens, Jasper National Park, British Columbia.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Photos © Jerrianne Lowther
Kyra & Mic in rain gear, left; Kyra with fishnet shirt & shorts, right.

Appalachian Trail Trek: July 1973
by Jerrianne Lowther
Anchorage, AK

What do you wear on a backpack trek that lasts more than half a year and a full three seasons? Layers! We carried a change or two of underwear. I dyed all of ours navy blue before we left home. A navy blue "fishnet" shirt (with a swimsuit top underneath) wicked moisture away from the skin on hot days and provided evaporative cooling. On cold days, with a shirt or windbreaker on top, it provided good insulation. Inner socks wicked moisture to wool outer socks to keep our feet as dry as possible.

Our blue jeans zipped above the knee so one pair of "legs" matched two pairs of shorts. Matching red flannel shirts, red outer socks and red gaiters made our family look more like a team -- a big advantage when we needed to thumb a ride to town or back to the trailhead after a supply stop. Lightweight windbreakers (and down jackets and down pants during cold weather) kept us comfortable most of the time. Sometimes we wore almost everything at once.

Our raingear was pre-Gore-Tex but quite functional. The orange hood and cape were waterproof and covered breathable nylon fabric that helped dissipate moisture and heat without leaking rain, much like the rain fly on our tent. Our red rain chaps matched our red waterproof pack covers.

Our boots were heavy leather and needed waterproofing from time to time. In truly wet weather, they squished with every step. In Maine we wore Viet Nam "jungle boots"; we crossed bogs and forded streams by taking off our boots and socks and putting the boots back on alone. After we waded across a stream or bog, steadying ourselves with our hiking staffs, we put on dry socks and walked until our boots were dry again.

Bandanas came in blue or red; we used them for bath towels as well as hand towels and headbands. We carried sponges for sponge baths. On a long backpack, every ounce counts. Fortunately, we were able to mail out of season equipment to our friends, the Doerings, in Rochester, New York, who served as "Mission Control." In Pennsylvania, they paid us a visit.

"Paul and Fayne Doering arrived from Rochester early next day.

"'Ready for a day off?' asked Fayne as we traded hugs and handshakes all around.

"'You bet,' Jerri said.

"'I figured you'd want to retain the spirit of things,' Paul said, in his usual straight-faced way, 'so I reserved campground space for us all. There will be plenty of room for your tent.'

"'We also brought twenty boxes of your slides to look at,' added Fayne.

"'Wow,' Kyra said. 'Home movies.'

"We piled our belongings into their van and headed for town. Somewhere, miles from Little Gap and the Appalachian Trail, we ate a huge restaurant lunch, then checked into a campground for the day." --from Walking North, by Mic Lowther.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
July 13---Zach Bratten
July 13---Ginny Adair
July 15---Tom Morgan
July 15---William Earl Dake
July 15---Sherry Dake
July 18---Callie Printz (7 years)
July 19---Patricia Dake Meyer
July 19---Marlee Morgan Freesemann
July 19---Devon S. Stewart
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
July 19---Dan and Nancy Mellon (39 years)

More July Birthdays
July 1---Suzanne McCorkell
July 1---Jim Smith
July 1---Zachary Elliot Smith (4 years)
July 3---Vonnie Dake
July 4---Brian Lehtola
July 5---LeRoy Dake
July 5---Jennifer Dake Horne
July 6---James Miller
July 7---Kimberly Johnson
July 8---Trenton Loredo Roberson (5 years)

July 20---Michael Miller
July 20---Susie Miller Smith
July 24---Donna Jacobson Anderson
July 24---Jeni Larson
July 26---Tytus Joshua Myron
July 27---Wyatt Timothy Mellon (11 years)
July 29---Heather Henderson
July 29---Colleen Mellon Scott
July 30---Justin Printz
July 31---Tim Myron

More July Anniversaries
July 1---Ken and Amy Dake Harrison (1 year)
July 8---Shawn and Lori Chap Ostendorf (2 years)

July 21---Capt. Jack and Ginny Adair (46 years)
July 27---Larry and Sherry Dake (30 years)
July 29---Charles and Ardis Sigman Quick (36 years)

July Special Days
July 4---Independence Day

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Photo © Betty Droel
Napkin, Steve Weiland's 40th birthday party.

Dear Miss Hetty,

On the 4th of July, Steve and Marci Weiland invited us to their home for their annual 4th of July picnic with their friends and family.

The weather was ideal. The garage was set up for the food and tables, and their huge yard was manicured and shaded so many sat around outside in a comfortable, unrushed, happy atmosphere. I think there must have been about 75. What a wonderful day to enjoy together so the children can have friends to play with and the adults have a chance to catch up with chats with friends.

The day was a pre-birthday party for Steve, who is turning 40 the end of July. Decorations, cake, and a lot of work went into the "Over The Hill" theme.

The napkins went with a fabulous desserts part of the pot luck. Otherwise we had patriotic plates and napkins, and everyone seemed to have worn the red white and blue colors as they could. Krista even had a red, white and blue ribbon braided into her hair.

Photo ©s Betty Droel
Steve turns 40, left; Krista goes with red, white & blue, right.

Krista was telling that while in the parking garage of Mall of America yesterday a lady talking on a car phone drove by and didn't see her, and the car actually brushed against Krista in a close call to her almost getting hit. Things happen and instantly sometimes.

Roy and I left mid afternoon, before they served birthday cake, but many were playing different games all over the front and back yard. They had reserved the deck under the umbrella for older folks to watch the fun, but we came home and then wondered why we hadn't stayed.

I know we felt pretty happy to be a part of such a great group of friends and relation and to be included, like we usually are.

Betty and Roy Droel
MoundsView, MN

It is pretty special when the phone rings and your good friend is on the other end. It is even more special than that to be invited to their home for a fresh fish fry.

Renee Martin, wanted to share the fish her husband, Rod, and son Alex and son-in-law Anthony caught at Rush Lake. They weren't very big, and to clean them would have been so tedious, but still they wanted to share with us.

I don't fry fish very often, so I loved getting a lesson from a pro in frying fish. Anthony is an excellent cook so had a special way of seasoning and breading them, and frying them picture perfect. Renee did a perfect job on some she made special for Rod who doesn't prefer certain seasonings.

We had green beans, fresh garden lettuce with bananas in it, and fried potatoes. That and the fish was a very unforgettable meal. Roy fished so much when he was younger so he loved it all.

I have to show you the platter of fish we started out with, and there were just two small pieces left that Renee sent home with us.

Alex was just discharged from the Army so being home is quite an adjustment. Fishing seemed to help fill the day with something fun, and we all got to enjoy what they caught.

Betty and Roy Droel
MoundsView, MN

Photo © Betty Droel
Betty & Roy with platter of freshly fried fish.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

Hope you had a good holiday weekend! I had a very nice weekend. I attended a friend's 29th birthday party (celebrating the beginning of her last year in her 20's) on Thursday evening.

I spent some time working on the 4th, which should be illegal, but unfortunately could not be avoided. I made up for it that evening by watching the Twins beat Cleveland. The game got over just in time to make it over to the Mississippi River bank to watch fireworks over the Stone Arch Bridge. I had never been to the fireworks show on the river. It was an impressive show, and the setting was spectacular. The weather cooperated too, so it was a great evening.

I attended a friend's wedding on Saturday evening, then went back to the Metrodome on Sunday to watch another Twins win! So the weekend ended up being just the right mix of relaxing downtime and fun activities. It was nice to have the opportunity to recharge the batteries, as the rest of the month will be fairly crazy with work and travel.

Anyway, thanks again for the e-card. Have a great week!

Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

I was gone to Montana last weekend and I had locked up my computer before I left so wasn't getting any e-mail or The Bulletin, but I'm back and got back on line today. The IP is coming Monday evening and will be checking out everything and getting it all operating again. I had 39 e-mails when I was able to get operating again!

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

Just so glad I got The Bulletin! -- and got to meet so many Millers I've never heard of --

Great picture of Vonnie and LeRoy!

Love to you from Montana!

Ruth Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

I loved the Fairy Slipper Orchids and the Rue Anemone photos in The Bulletin. I've been enjoying all the blooming blue flag irises and lupine and wild roses that are blooming here lately.

I talked to Colette. She has taken a few days off work and was happily out weeding in her wild blueberry patch so the plants would have a little less competition. She had done a bit of weeding there last year and thought the blueberries benefited from it.

Kathlyn Johnson Anderson
Anchorage, AK

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I was entranced by the matching colors of Kira's dress and the horse's nose and mouth. Very special for a first picture to have a darling picture like that of little Kira, who seems to be growing up all too fast.

I thought that was cute, but then when I got to the end of The Bulletin, I see a corresponding picture of the cool dude, Levi, looking for his horse. Well, we can tell him where it is. Just round up his sister and he'll find out. Those two children are so photogenic -- or is it just that The Bulletin enhances them by all the poses we have from time to time from Great Auntie Bitzi?

For some reason, I just sat there in silence observing those two men, Tom and Jim Miller. Knowing their story of being a part of Billy and Olive's family, and now they are retired men, and the only ones left of a pillar type family made that a valued picture. I never had the opportunity to get to know Tom, but I have heard of "Uncle Tom" for years. Reference to him is always with high respect and love.

Thank you, Shari, for sharing about Robert's funeral. We have heard little, but we know how overworked Judy is so hardly expect any details from her. My sister, Ruth Weiland Kitto, loves nothing more than to visit with folks about folks. So, Shari, I can imagine you had quite a catch-up time with her.

To have the group all together in the photo Shari took was amazing and rare. I am so glad The Bulletin felt it could be included and I have printed it.

Sarah Steinhauer is quite the photographer. The bug on the leaf was outstanding and artistic, even to the bug matching the leaf.

It is nice to have Virginia's updates, too. It doesn't seem like she's had all the pain that I know, and have heard, is connected with hip surgery. At least she is healing and getting along at a good rate. A whole new chapter in the Adairs' life now, with this plan to move away from all the familiar and memories in their home. They have such a good attitude. That helps.

Another nice touch by the photo editor, Jerrianne, is in the cactus photo being right next to Roy's picture so his shirt and the cactus seem to match.

Oh how nice to get a look at how far Weston is in his garden design. It is so out of the ordinary to have a curved edge like that. I loved it, but that will take some maintaining to keep it watered in this Minnesota weather. I remember when Twila Johnson planted all those pine trees about that size, and one Bulletin had them in as they are now. Huge, tall, full, trees. I had helped carry water to them when Twila was diligently watering them, but now you could hardly walk between them.

What a cute little birdhouse, and it looks like it's "home" to some babies.

That certainly does not happen very often, as Don and Dorothy happening to find some folks who knew Don's friend, Arvid. The elderly lady would have been just as surprised and elated to meet someone remembering Arvid. She's likely telling her friends about it as Don is telling his (via The Bulletin).

Summer comes to the Ashby farm -- at last. That was most interesting. I recognized that lake in the background, but another generation is in the foreground now, making their own memories. Donna Mae, I am glad you always have your camera ready. You know how much The Bulletin readers enjoy the pictures!

We were very glad to have recent news of your sisters, Don. Too bad both have to be sick at the same time. They really need one another. Elaine being able to still care for her flowers would be such therapy. Sounds like you had quite a tour of inspection at Ashby, too, Grandma. It's always nice to have seen it first hand and then you can picture it easily.

Doug, even those few words from you were welcome. We miss hearing from you, and I know so many that we haven't heard from in The Bulletin for so long. Sometimes I wonder if they don't think their contribution is necessary, but it IS, and I keep wondering about several in the south. The Tiger Lily blossoming would be a real incentive to your gardening interest, Doug.

LTD Storybrooke telling us the story of the lost lamb was very intense and we read every word with anxious wonder as to where that lamb would be found, if it was. What a nice ending to that experience when the little lamb was scooped up into the shepherd's arms and taken home.

I think of Bruce McCorkell, who seemed so quiet, to be able to relate in such detail, like it was a recent happening, and that is why I value his account so much. The work and the snow and weather would make it very difficult, but I must remember he was young, and could face about anything.

The Travelogue was simply a most unusual, beautiful, wedge-shaped rainbow. How good to have gotten a picture of that! They last such a few seconds or minutes. Jerrianne must have been there to see that herself.

A Long time Ago. I hope we don't run out of pictures and story on that most remarkable and once in a lifetime experience. Each week is one more chapter in detail that keeps me very fascinated and I find it easy to imagine I was right there. I had read about that red, white and blue pudding in Walking North, and here is a picture of it. I'd say Kyra is one good sport. To keep on a schedule so you picked up the mailed packages at just the right time and place is unbelievable to me. But it was a matter of eating or not it seems, so you probably had the post office a priority. OK, Jerrianne, we need a picture of you, too. So far it's been Mic and Kyra. But then you took the pictures and Mic told the story.

Well, I couldn't believe my eyes to see a Miss Hetty letter from Jim Smith. But then to make sure your subscription to The Bulletin is current, it's worth whatever it takes to send in something. I would keenly miss looking forward to it arriving every Saturday morning.

We have not been seeing LeRoy and Vonnie lately. They are just not feeling up to much these days. It was wonderful seeing their picture that Gert took.

Quite a Quotation for the day. The choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. I have to admit that it is very true.

Thank you again for The Bulletin. We know it is quite a deadline to meet every single week, and it depends on what someone sends in whether we even have a Bulletin or not. So far, so good. Let us know if we can help.

Betty Droel


Photo © Whitney Johnson
Low-tech blackberries -- jam on toast, yes -- e-mail, no.

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: There's a myth that time is money. In fact, time is more precious than money. It's a nonrenewable resource. Once you've spent it, and if you've spent it badly, it's gone forever. --Neil Fiore

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where