The Bulletin
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Photo © Patty Henderson
Gina & Dan welcome Abigail Mae Henderson.

Update -- Abigail Mae Henderson arrives
by Patty Anderson Henderson
Minnetrista, MN

In the wee morning hours of September 23rd, Abigail Mae Henderson made her appearance. She wasn't in too much of a hurry as she was about eight days past her due date. She truly is worth waiting for, however! She weighed in at 7 lbs., 14 oz., and is 20 inches long. She's a beautiful bundle of joy! (Grandmas can say that, right?) Dan and Gina make wonderful parents!

Photo © Char Myron
Alexa Ann Gauderman

Update -- Alexa Ann Gauderman is born
by Char Morgan Myron
Thompson, ND

A First Time Grandma has an announcement:

Baby is here! Alexa Ann Gauderman was born this morning (September 26th) at 4 a.m. She was 7 lbs., 4 oz. and 20 inches long. She and Jessica are doing great!

A First Time Great Grandma adds her opinion...

Just a note to say that Alexa Ann Gauderman arrived this morning 4:00 a.m., 7 lbs., 4-1/2 oz., 20 inches long. Her mom and dad are Jessica and Jeff Gauderman. Grandma Char and Grandpa Tim Myron called us. Alexa Ann is our first great grandchild. Now Bob and Doris are great, great grandparents.

Just had to share this.

Mavis Anderson Morgan
Hope, ND

Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
"Moose" arrangement at flower show, Alaska Botanical Garden.

Update -- Lois Dake
by Carol Dake Printz
Sidney, NE

I don't know if anyone has updated you about Mother in the last while, since Earl did. She is continuing to decline. Has one urinary tract infection after another since having to have the permanent catheter put in a few months ago. Appetite very poor ... last report I got, they were no longer getting her out of bed at all. She sleeps a lot and is not very responsive.

I called Stan one day recently while he was with her ... he put his phone on "speaker phone" so I could say hello to her. She seemed to hear me and know who it was, but then closed her eyes and "faded away" again. When I was down there in July her weight was 95 pounds ... and no doubt she's lost more since then. I suppose it is possible she might rally some, but not so likely.

We're fine here, just busy with work. I'm working as a special education aide, one-on-one, with the same severely mentally delayed boy I worked with last year. He is 13 now and beginning to get a bit harder to handle ... so we'll see how it goes.

Photo © Betty Droel
Ken & Ruth Kitto
I took this picture just as they were leaving for the reunion.)

Update -- Ruth attends 65th high school class reunion
by Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

My sister, Ruth, and I had both gone to Patrick Henry High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

This year was her 65th class reunion. She had never had opportunity to go to any of the reunions, so this year she and Kenny decided to drive from their home in Apache Junction, Arizona, to Minneapolis to attend the reunion.

It was a long, very eventful drive, seeing relation along the way, and enjoying nostalgic scenery. They arrived at our home and we eventually had to share them with the rest of the family and relation.

She said she would never have known a one of the 40 students that were at the reunion, and they likely felt the same way. Aging from 18 years old to 82 makes a lot of differences.

Now they have left to return to Arizona via Kenny's son in North Dakota.

Update -- Ken and Ruth Kitto -- still on the road
by Ruth Weiland Swanson Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

What a JOY of days we have had this summer! It was nice to talk to you on the cell phone while going through Alexandria on our way to Bismarck. (Also I am so glad for the few minutes we had visiting last Saturday at Hector. Wished for more of a visit but there wasn't time). We got there at the time we had planned to.

We talked a lot about stopping at Hunter -- but it would have been only for minutes, really -- so we continued on to Bismarck and Jerry's place. We wanted to get here before dark. We met Jerry in Wal-Mart (the easiest meeting place). Had a snack at Applebee's!

Now, this morning, we are talking about going to Hunter for tomorrow. It is about a three-hour drive. Jerry suggested that we should go, too; then we'll be able to have the whole day. Should be a nice trip.

Well, I could go on and on -- we are as close as the phone and the e-mail!

We had such very special days together with Betty, Roy, Rich and Verlaine. We were glad to see our cousin, Shirley Rowland Berglund. She is moving from St. Paul to Minneapolis. She had us cousins together for a dinner on Thursday evening -- first time for years that we all have been together. Such a special visit ... among all of the other special ones!

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Sarah Steinhauer
Kira Steinhauer -- she's tickled pink!

Update -- a winning week
by Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Hi Dorothy. I expected to have heard from you by now, chastisng me for falling behind in "paying" for my subscription. I thought I'd beat you to the punch!

Nancy went with me to a 4-day conference in Lake Tahoe last week. The conference was great, and we were entertained to some great dinners, most with glorious views of the lake. It was a lucky week for me. At the conference, I won an Ipod in a drawing. I was feeling pretty good about that until Saturday (at home), when I won a golf bag and a 32-inch flat sceen TV at a golf tournament. By the way, the golf prizes were from a raffle -- had nothing to do with my golf game!

Kids and grandkids are all doing well. Aiden began kindergarten this year and seems older every time we see him. Austin misses his brother during the day, but is finally in a good daycare situation.

Hope all is well with you all.

Photo © Ken Carson
Cheerio, left, & Tabasco ... did someone push Oreo into the bathtub?

Update -- early morning catastrophe (well not quite)
by Miss Kitty
Anchorage, AK

Well, those grandkitties have been into mischief again. Triple trouble, that's what they are. They even saw to it that Kyra got a cold shower this week. I bet they got scolded ... and Oreo got wet. Here's the way we heard it from Kyra. (We haven't heard their side of the story yet.)

"It was a crazy week in so many ways.... This is how it started for me.

"I woke up earlier than planned on the morning of the first big presentation about the new company software. I heard water running, which meant the drip irrigation was going through its morning routine and my alarm would ring in about half an hour. Why not get up now and have a little extra time to pack for the trip?

"When I turned on the shower, the water was tepid at best. I figured it would warm up, but it didn't. Moving as quickly as I could, I still had time to wonder: "Are we somehow using hot water for irrigation? Did the water heater break? What is happening?" After a hasty retreat, I went to investigate. From the top of the stairs I could hear water running much louder. It definitely wasn't a drip -- more like a household Niagara.

"I was turning to check the water heater when I realized the downpour was coming from the bathroom instead. It seems that the cats had been playing in the tub and managed to bump the hot water handle hard enough to turn it on full blast. There was a steaming tubful of water that was slowly draining. If I'd realized it earlier, I could have had a nice hot bath rather than a cold shower.

"Of course, all three cats had followed me downstairs and were busy acting all surprised and curious about what was happening in the tub. Amidst all the jostling to act more innocent than the others, Oreo fell in (or maybe he was pushed -- who can tell?). At any rate, he was soaking wet and the others went bounding up the stairs, knowing they didn't want to play this game any more."

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna Johnson
Beaver got himself a "new to him" pickup. It's in great shape, hard to tell it is older, with many miles on it.

Photo © Donna Johnson
Our carpenter crew: Travis, Jody & Moje, hard at work tearing apart the old rotten deck. A window where the old air conditioner was located, now open to the great outdoors, will soon be the door into the new sunroom.

Photo © Donna Johnson
The new sunroom begins to take shape.

Photo © Donna Johnson
Sunroom now has windows and they are getting the outside door done. The one into the house will be put in on Monday, as well as steps up to the house. Getting very exciting!

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. LeRoy Dake supplied last week's mystery photo.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... generally in the order we receive them, so the first guess received is on top.

Thanks for The Bulletin. I'm going to try my luck with the guessing game. I believe this is Billy and Lois Dake. At first, I thought this might be a trick photo -- someone else's children. Then I spotted young Stanley's boots -- just like his dad's -- and the smiling girl has to be his sister Carol.

Jim Smith
Brooklyn Park, MN

That is your brother Bill Dake and his family! (Part of it.) Looks like Stanley, Carol, and their mom, Lois Gandy Dake.

Thanks -- another Bulletin that you can't put down until you have finished all the way to the bottom.

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

That looks like my Grandpa Bill Dake, Uncle Stan, Aunt Carol, and Grandma Lois Dake!

Adriana Brown
Granbury, TX

I think I know the "guess" picture. It is Billy Dake and wife, Lois, and their two oldest children, Carol and Stanley. What a restful picture! My guess it is taken in Texas.

Mavis Morgan
Hope, ND

Those pictured are Bill Dake (the father-in-law I never had the pleasure to know), Lois Dake (my mother-in-law), Carol, and Stanley (sister-in-law and brother-in-law). This photo may have been taken before they made the move to Texas.

Earl Stahlecker
Gatesville, TX

Wow ... what a handsome Texan with his beautiful family! Uncle Bill, Aunt Lois, Carol and Stanley are my guess.

Thanks for the fun pictures!

Shari Larson
Litchfield Park, AZ

The GUESS picture is certainly Lois Dake, Bill, and would it be Carol and Stanley? Not being acquainted, that is a wild guess, except that I met them through The Bulletin.

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Larry McCorkell sent us a manuscript he transcribed from his father's tape recorded memories and made it available to The Bulletin for a series of excerpts. These stories were originally tape recorded by Bruce McCorkell of his growing up days on the homestead near Effie in northern Minnesota. They were recorded from a period of the mid 1980's until the early 2000's. These are Bruce's words of happy, sad, funny, good, and hard times.


Berry picking was serious business. If you read that book that old Knight wrote, the whole family went berry picking. You picked blueberries when it was in season. Come fall they picked high bush cranberries and canned them and made juice out of them. My ma always made jam. We always had high bush cranberry jam and wild plums. There were lots of wild plums in those days.

I remember one time my dad and I went and took the packsack and some pails and went west down a quarter mile and turned off and went south again down that very same hill there by that Shine Lake and back over in there towards that old homesteader there, Orin Patrow. He was one of the first settlers in that country that stayed there. There were nice big plums all through that area.

We were picking out the nicest plum bushes and we had our containers pretty well full and there was one clump that was quite large, I suppose the diameter of the thing was 12 to 14 feet and then the branches bush out. We were pretty close together all around there and so I thought my dad was picking on the other side of this clump of plum bushes there.

I was picking on one side and talking to him and he wasn't answering me. So I turned and looked and here he was, way over on someplace else on another bush. It was a bear over there picking on the other side of the clump of bushes that I was picking on.

One time, I think it was that very same trip, we were walking down this real old, original tote road. We were walking along and we looked off to the side and there was a small bear that was tearing into a large anthill. What they do is take their paw and give it a rip and scrape off some of it and put their paw back on there again and let the ants crawl up on their paw and lick them off. He was having a great time.

We watched him a little while and pretty soon my dad hollered at him, "What are you doing there?"

That bear took off just like he'd been shot. He went crashing down through the brush. There weren't many trees, mostly brush. Oh man, you could hear him going, just like a tornado, like he'd been stuck by something. He sure took off. That was kind of funny.

That plum business was good. Boy, Ma would can this for plum sauce. I don't think my ma ever made plum pudding or anything like that. It was all part of our winter supplies to survive.

Greetings from the Netherlands
by Ary Ommert, Jr.
Maassluis, The Netherlands

Photo © Ary Ommert, Jr.
Surprise! A self-portrait of Ary Ommert, Jr.

Hello All,

Fall is almost there and time for a letter from me, it has been a while since you heard from me. The summer in the Netherlands was not warm, we had a long period of clouded skies and cool temperatures. A few times a short period with warm and sunny weather. Perhaps it's because the climate is changing. The winters are very mild, when I was a child we could skate for weeks and we had much more snow.

Today started sunny but in the afternoon it became clouded, temperatures around 18 degrees C (64 degrees F).

With me, all is fine; it's time for an article in The Bulletin and want to send it to you this week for publishing next week.

I read The Bulletin every week; wonder to how many people you send it?

At work, we started building up the tables for the Christmas articles, hope to have it ready in three weeks.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Ary Ommert, Jr.

Editor's comment: At present we have about 125 e-mail subscribers. We have heard that there are more who read The Bulletin on the Web.

Travelogue t

Photo © Sheldon Swenson
Nicol, seated, dayhikes with Kjirsten & Mitzi.

Huayhuash Trek Of Peru
by Sheldon and Mitzi Swenson
Dickinson, ND

Mitzi's Journal

We were supposed to have a rest day there, but because we arrived at our campsite shortly after noon, it was decided that we could do the day hike to two lakes the same day. Nicol hiked with us and told us that three years earlier he had caught five large trout in the first lake. We saw a big one jump and Sheldon wished he had a fishing rod. Most of the lakes in the Huayhuash have been overfished and the trout we saw people catching other places were just a few inches long.

The second lake was hidden behind a large moraine. When we got up there, the sun was shining on the glacier across the lake and we watched several avalanches, which resulted in white icebergs in the beautiful blue lake.

Photos © Sheldon Swenson
Large trout lurk in Laguna Jurau, left; avalanche drops ice into unnamed Laguna, right.

The next day was another two days of hiking combined into one epic day. Nicol couldn't find his mules that morning as we started hiking down a valley that had zillions of large blue lupine type of bushes blooming that were very fragrant.

After about an hour, we saw mules that looked just like his -- three tan ones and one brown one. Kjirsten decided she would hike back to tell him where they were, so Sheldon took her pack and we continued down the valley.

After about an hour, we saw a mule train approaching and Kjirsten was riding Pancho Negro, the horse. She was not impressed with horse riding. It turned out that the mules we found were not Nicol's and her extra hike was a waste of time and energy on what turned out to be the most grueling day of the trek. Nicol insisted she ride the horse until catching up to Sheldon and me.

As we descended through the valley, we passed through several climatic zones, starting in alpine, and at the lowest point on the trail there were large cactus growing. The flowers were spectacular and I took lots of photos. We passed by a village (where wise people spend the night), and started up the other side of the valley. We ascended for several hours, topping out on a very high pass.

There was an old man who lived there (around 16,000 feet) and wondered if we had any medicine because he didn't feel well. He was collecting water from the stream and looked about 80 years old. Kjirsten gave him two pieces of hard candy from her pocket and hoped the placebo effect would help his cough and insomnia. He asked if he should take them with cold or warm water. She smiled and told him suck on them like caramelos.

That was our longest day, and we estimated we hiked over 15 miles that day, descending about 5,000 feet and then ascending over 4,000 feet. It was cold soon after we arrived and we ate dinner in our tent that night.

To be continued...

Photos © Sheldon Swenson
Kjirsten riding Pancho Negro, left; Kjirsten & Mitzi drink tea in the tent, right.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
For $10 each, Registered Maine Guide Harold Smith ferries us across the Kennebec River.

Appalachian Trail Trek: September 1973
by Jerrianne Lowther
Anchorage, AK

Mic and I were equally obsessed with "the Big K" in Maine ... it just wasn't the same "Big K." He was fixated on Mount Katahdin, a mountain he wanted to climb at the end of our journey. For me, "the Big K" was the Kennebec River ... that I didn't want to wade. Too wide, too deep, too cold, too swift, too dangerous. I didn't want any part of it ... and I didn't want to risk an accident with 11-year-old Kyra, who was younger, shorter, lighter, not quite as strong as I was.

Walking north, there was no reasonable alternative to plunging in -- early in the morning, before the dam opened -- and hoping for the best. But if we walked south from Mount Katahdin, we'd be able to contact a guide who lived north of the Kennebec River and pay him to take us across in his boat. And that was reason enough for me to push hard for changing directions, as we finally did. Now we just had to find the guide....

"The line was busy.

"'Try again in a bit,' the storekeeper said, 'but don't wait too long, they're leavin' town for the weekend.'

"We were in Caratunk, Maine, on Saturday morning, calling Harold Smith who took hikers across the Kennebec River by boat. One could wade the river, of course -- water ran waist-deep until nine o'clock. A dam opened upstream then to float pulpwood logs along. We'd arrived at 10 o'clock. Water would be rising and the current would be more swift. Passing logs would add hazards to what was already adventure enough. Waist- or chest-deep to me meant water to Kyra's nose. We would go by boat.

"I called Mr. Smith again. He answered but sounded reluctant to delay his weekend plans. Learning there were three of us, he said to meet him on the riverbank in half an hour.

"Dick Heller arrived just then, a Katahdin-bound hiker from Indiana. The boundary of wet and dry on his clothes told he'd waded the river.

"'You could have waited and taken the boat back across,' Jerri said. Northbound hikers were at a disadvantage with no way to make arrangements on their side of the river.

"'It wasn't so bad,' he replied. 'Cold, though, and slick on the bottom.'

"'I hope you won't mind the rain,' Jerri went on.

"'Rain? I thought the sun was shining.'

"'It is, but once we go to town, you can count on rain.'

"'Thanks a lot,' Dick replied without cheer.

"We walked to the shore and found our ferryman poling his skiff downriver from where he kept it moored. Harold Smith was seventy years old, I'd heard, but the hardy look of his face suggested no particular age. He wore an old, gray-brimmed hat, gray trousers to match, and a red-and-black checked wool shirt. A cloth patch on his sleeve proclaimed him a registered Maine guide.

"'Got to be,' he said when I commented on it. 'You need a license to ferry people across the Kennybec.'

"I shoved the boat off after loading our packs aboard. Mr. Smith stood in the stern and pushed us along with a stout pole. We saw no logs afloat in the choppy water, but they would have moved quickly considering how fast we drifted parallel to the shore.

"'Are you busy with hikers this year?' I asked.

"'Some,' he said, 'but a lot of them cross on their own. They camp on the bank and ford in early morning, or build rafts for their packs from driftwood and swim alongside. It's a tricky river for that sort of thing. The bottom is slippery and the current is strong. Having a load of logs come at you is no picnic, either.'

"Our guide told stories as he poled across the wide expanse. He described drownings, rescues, and endless troubles people had gotten into trying to get across. The Kennebec could be a treacherous place, he said. We were much better off with him. He wished us a friendly 'Good hiking' as we unloaded, then made his way back to town.

"Then it rained. We walked two miles, three, and stopped at Pierce Pond. Fog hung over a setting of mountains, lake, forested islands. We'd planned it as camp but had time to go on." --from Walking North, by Mic Lowther.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
September 28---Donald L. Anderson
September 30---Sheldon Swenson
October 1---Brooklynn Ann Johnson (4 years)
October 1---Carolyn Amy Horne (4 years)
October 4---Wesley Sigman
October 4---Anita Pfingsten Weiland
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
October 1---Keith Mason and Lori Anderson (3 years)
October 4---Don and Patty Bratten Anderson (11 years)

More October Birthdays
October 5---Leona Anderson
October 5---Steven Miller
October 7---Steven Anderson
October 10---Hannah Aydelotte (7 years)
October 10---Greta Veronica Shockey (1 year)
October 10---Cody Printz
October 11---Jay Smith
October 12---Muriel Wold Rodriguez
October 12---Tami Anderson Hunt
October 14---Douglas Anderson
October 14---Candice Miller Jordt
October 14---Verlaine Weiland
October 18---Lori Anderson
October 18--- Adriana Stahlecker Brown
October 18---Dan Mellon
October 20---Wade Morgan Printz (9 years)
October 22---Rich Johnson (from MN)
October 24---Eric Shockey
October 24---Ken Kitto
October 26---Ardis Sigman Quick
October 27---Marlene Anderson Johnson
October 27---Rich Weiland
October 28---Derrick McNeill
October 29---Sami Larson
October 29---Tom Miller
October 30---Anne Mellon Montford

More October Anniversaries
October 17---Troy and Marlee Anderson Freesemann (14 years)
October 27---Don and Gert Dake Pettit (18 years)

October Special Days
October 13---Columbus Day (observed)
October 31---Hallowe'en

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thanks for the birthday card! I had a pretty nice day. I brought two dozen bagels to work, as a thinly veiled excuse for friends to swing by my desk and chat for a few moments.

For lunch, two friends treated me to my favorite Italian Beef sausage at Bertrossa's in downtown Fargo.

For supper, my mom and step-dad, John, came to town and treated Jolene, the girls, Chris, Jessy, and me to supper at Paradiso's Mexican Restaurant in Fargo!

Rylie made a heart-shaped birthday card for me, very well illustrated and mostly spelled correctly!

So it was a pretty nice day of eating, and a great day spending some time with some family!

Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

Photo © Betty Droel
Alison Elizabeth Droel explores Great Grandma Betty's cupboards.

We had a visit by Roy's son, Rodger and Claudia, yesterday. They brought along their granddaughter so she could see her great grandpa and great grandma, or was it that they could see her? They were babysitting Alison Elizabeth Droel.

We so seldom get to have them come. It was very different for us to have a little one examine our cupboards, and we wished we had treats in there instead of just coffee, etc.

Then Alison decided to share her plastic groceries with Great Grandpa, Roy, which was just too cute not to record on our camera.

We don't usually have any pictures of little ones to share, so decided to send these to Miss Hetty, just in case she needed something to spice up her life.

Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Photo © Betty Droel
Alison shares her plastic groceries with Great Grandpa Roy Droel.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

It was extra special to open The Bulletin and see Lori's beautiful photos of Beaver's farm. They brought back such wonderful memories. I really enjoy every part of The Bulletin every week! I can hardly wait to get home and try the chocolate cake in a mug. I only hope it's not habit-forming! Just imagine what might happen if we kept a canister of the dry ingredients in the break room at work.

Mitzi Swenson
Dickinson, ND

Thank you to you and Jerrianne for spending your time to publish this newsletter! I am often on the road for work. It is so nice to open this newsletter from wherever I am and feel like I have brought my family and friends with me. I also feel like I have met new friends from around the world. Wouldn't it be great to plan a "newsletter" reunion some year in the future?

I enjoy all of the updates, travelogues and stories. I especially enjoy the "Bulletin Review" by Betty; she often picks up on things I hadn't ... Thanks, Betty!

Thanks again,

Shari Larson
Litchfield Park, AZ

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Lorraine Tabor, a Bulletin subscriber, calls me a "Common Tater," and I know she is right. I consider it a rare privilege to be writing this review for the previous Bulletin, and I am not attempting to be more than just a common tater, not pretending to even have the vocabulary to adequately describe the great Bulletins that we have gotten each and every Saturday morning, right on schedule. We need to give our editor and photo editor the applause they so deserve for their dedication to each issue. I happen to know it gets into the night before an issue might be ready to send off.

With Rachel in Quito, we have the advantage of some very interesting pictures and stories of places we would never, ever be. How interesting to see the University campus there, Also, to hear of her schedule which gives opportunity to see places and people and things as she chooses. Spring appearing sounds better than the upcoming winter.

We sure laughed at the goat story. Those boys would never forget the time they had the goats, and the story will be added to, likely, as they relate it to their own children. The update was written in such a way that you kept wondering just what was coming next. The nature of a goat is unpredictable, and no respect to gardens, flowers or anything in their path. We are still laughing as we visualize the trailing goats behind the pail of feed.

Reminds me of a farm we were visiting near Bellingham, Washington. The men could not get the animals into the truck, no matter how hard they tried. Finally, Becky Lavergne, the lady of the house, left her dinner making and walked out into the yard with a bucket of feed, stepped up into the truck herself, and all the pigs eagerly followed her. Then they shut the tailgate behind her, as she jumped down, and they drove away. Dinner wasn't even delayed.

We have such darling children in our Bulletin families -- Trinidy checking the goat pen could [and did!] inspire one of Bitzi's captions.

The proud little Jazmine with her trophy. What a treasure to that 5 year old, and we can't wait to hear how it goes at the national level.

I don't know which is most intriguing, the spaghetti faces or the big blue eyes? It's a good thing these moms and dads have their cameras ready. We love these candid shots.

That porcupine story was both sad and funny. They are not to be trusted at close range. The poor dogs. With all the porcupine stories in The Bulletin this time, we learned one thing -- and that is to have great respect for them and give them their space. Interesting it should be the mailbox and bee neighbor that we have another story about. By instinct a person gets ideas about how to handle such a situation. A hose and dip nets!

Oh, Donna Mae, it was so great to see that picture of you, McKenna's grandma, looking so thin. I didn't realize you had success like that with this diet thing. I haven't been able to figure out the second picture there of the tree? What is the significance? [Beaver's farm was all oak woods until Grandfather Bennie Johnson cleared it -- with an ax -- and planted the fields in the pictures. The picture is of a mighty oak, still standing. Grandpa Bennie built the silo in the last picture, too. The other buildings are newer. --Photo Ed.]

Talk about nostalgia! The Lake Christina scene and the Johnson farmstead.

Bruce's story of the porcupine in Homesteading Days fit in very well with the theme in this Bulletin. The scene of them pulling the quills from the dog without him yelping and biting is incredible.

Travelogue always brings an awesomeness with the pictures of those snow-covered, sharp peaks. What an accomplishment, and Jeff tells us that Sheldon and Kjirsten even hiked farther yet than the rest. It all sounded so risky and scary and dangerous, but they seemed to think the spectacular views were rewarding. "The trail dropped off steeply," put it mildly. We are just glad they are home now and no fractures.

The Appalachian Trail trek was featured in our Sunday paper today. It listed how many thousands had started hiking and how very few ever finished it to the end. It gave us a greater appreciation for the Lowthers and their non-stop purpose to get to the end even after months of sticking to the grind of ups and downs and ins and outs. They were three of the few that kept on keeping on.

The chocolate mug cake was unique. Here is a dessert I created the other day, and it actually is just a Duncan Heinz mix and whipped cream and chocolate syrup in a flan pan. It was much more appetizing than it looks, though, on the picture.

Photo © Betty Droel
Chocolate Cake Dessert

The Quotation for the day: "The porcupine whom one must handle gloved, may be respected, but never loved." Well, we found that out in this issue of The Bulletin.

Thank you again to the editors who somehow continue to have stories and pictures to share with us. That means our subscribers have faithfully contributed their news.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Suzanne McCorkell
Carrie Horne stops to chat with Larry McCorkell...

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: The bridges you cross before you come to them are over rivers that aren't there. --Gene Brown

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where