The Bulletin
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Happy Valentine's Day!

Red Peony
Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
Red Peony, Alaska Botanical Garden.
(Click here for a short slide show of fabulous Alaska peonies.)

Updates -

UPDATE -- Lorella "Lollie" Berndt Grob funeral Saturday

Lorella "Lollie" Grob, 87, Mesa, Arizona, formerly of Great Bend, North Dakota, went home to be with the Lord on Thursday, February 5, 2009, at Banner Baywood Hospital, Mesa, Arizona. The funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, February 14 at Evergreen United Methodist Church, Wahpeton, North Dakota, with Rev. Paul Baker officiating. Visitation was Friday 5-8 p.m. with a 7 p.m. Prayer Service at the Vertin-Munson Funeral Home, Wahpeton. There will also be visitation one hour before the service at the church on Saturday. Interment will be at a later date at Zion United Methodist Cemetery, Great Bend, North Dakota. Click here for full obituary.

Photo © Kristi Indermark
Alex Indermark at his first birthday party, wondering why everyone was standing around singing to him....

UPDATE -- Alex Indermark's first birthday party
by Kristi Larson Indermark
Litchfield Park, AZ

WOW - The last year has flown by! Alexander is now an entire year old! He is quite the little character. Alex is very easy going and smiles all the time. His favorite things to do right now are play patty cake (which he can do all the hand motions for) and dance. We celebrated his first birthday with friends and family. I do have to say he was the first one of our kids to not like the birthday cake. But he did love the bath afterwards. It was such a wonderful day.

Photos © Kristi Indermark
No thanks, I really don't like cake this year, left; yeah, a bath in the sink, right.

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Susie Holman
Hunter Holman loved going to Seattle on a short vacation.

Photo © Donald W. Anderson
Heidi Henderson, Whitney Johnson, Gina Henderson & Kim Johnson holding Abby Henderson.

Photo © Gina Henderson
Be my Valentine! Abby Henderson in a red dress.

Photo © Sarah Steinhauer
Little sweethearts: Kira & Levi Steinhauer.

Photos © Jessica Gauderman
Alexa Ann Gauderman wears a red outfit sent to her for Valentine's Day by her great grandparents, Tom & Mavis Anderson Morgan, from Estero, Florida. The bib says "Puppy Love," left; and under the bib is a picture of a cute little puppy, right. Alexa also has a real puppy named Molly. Alexa's parents are Jeff and Jessica Myron Gauderman.

Photos © Shawn Ostendorf, left; Lori Ostendorf, right.
Lori, Kierra & McKenna Ostendorf, left; Shawn, Kierra & McKenna, right.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo illustration © Lori Ostendorf
Donna Johnson valentine with granddaughter Kierra Ostendorf.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Monday Is Presidents Day -- See Them All

Betty Droel sent us a link that fits perfectly with Presidents Day, to be observed on the third Monday in February. Click here to see all 44 United States Presidents in a little movie in which each face quickly fades into the next President's likeness. Perfect timing -- Presidents Day is the only time it would be in order, really.

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Gina Henderson and Sarah Steinhauer supplied last week's mystery photos.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... generally in the order we receive them, so the first guess received is on top.

I do think those babies are the sweetest -- just the kind that make lovely valentines. I think I will guess how they are blood related. The one in the high chair is my great granddaughter Abby Henderson and the one outside is LeRoy's great granddaughter Kira Steinhauer (so then she is my great grandniece).

Now then, Abby's grandma is my daughter Patty Henderson ... and Kira's granddad is my nephew Larry Dake (Patty's first cousin); Abby's dad, Dan, is a second cousin to Sarah Steinhauer, who is Kira's Mom. So, then, the girls are third cousins. If I have made a correct guess, that is.

The Matriarch
Dorothy Dake Anderson
Alexandria, MN

I am wondering if the GUESS picture on the left might be Abby Henderson? I remember seeing the pink outfit before, but can't even have a guess for the dear little pink bundle.

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Memory Lane

A new series of recollections, of the five years when Bill and Lois Dake and their family lived in Minnesota, began with the episode in Bulletin 343. It's too soon to tell just how many parts there will be in this series, but we still have a few stories from 1946, just after World War II. This episode is told very closely to fact ... the only thing I am not quite sure of is the date I would have done each of the things. (Don and I looked in a chart so the dates and days match.)

If you look in Bulletin 267 and Bulletin 324, you will find two photos taken on the same day, probably on the 4th of July, but certainly between when we got home from Texas in late June and July 14, 1946, the day I was taken to the hospital with full blown Poliomyelitis. Every person in the story below had been exposed to the disease incubating in my body.

Dorothy Dake, 20, hand tinted portrait, 1946.

Home Again
by Dorothy Dake
Howard Lake, MN

We are home -- but home is not quite like when we left for Texas, three weeks ago. I am now back in my own bedroom ... and I must admit I am glad to have it back. I did like sharing it with our newlyweds, who would have had a hard time finding anywhere else for the winter.

It is cleaned and shiny for me; I will try keeping it that way. If you know our house, you know the three upstairs bedrooms do not have permanent residents, as every six months or so we change about. But right now I have the front one -- the one that faces south, that is. It is nice to get a chance to sleep in my own bed. I had a great bed at the Gandy's ... but this one is mine ... and I can spread out in the rest of the room with my projects. I am thinking about scheduling in some good rest time, as I still feel all tired out.

Blanche and Jim have gotten all moved in at the Miller home place. Jeanette and Robert have moved to their new place in the country, somewhere south of Litchfield, and Jim and Blanche have moved all of the furniture that they had -- not really very much yet, but some from different people and a few things they needed that they could find. I had my first look at it at the pot luck on Thursday, the 4th of July. It is looking so cute! I am planning how I will outfit the bedroom upstairs that is to be mine, but I won't move in until it is closer to the time for the school to open. Blanche and I plan to go over and visit our school at Stockholm a little later and get it set up for the first day of school.

Pot luck family picnic at the Millers' on July 4, 1946. L-R: Lois Gandy Dake, Gertie Dake, Blanche Dake Miller, Bill Dake, Rose Noonan, Henrietta Schildt, Mom (Phoebe Miller Huisman), me in front (Glenda Huisman Baker), LeRoy Dake, Grandpa Bill Miller, Tom Miller, Lenore Miller Pfingsten, with Anita Pfingsten in front, Amy Dake, Grandma Olive Miller, Wm. Dake, Dick Miller, Aunt Josephine Bredeson, Uncle George Bredeson, Dad (George Huisman) in back, Henry Pfingsten holding Walter Pfingsten & Arlin Pfingsten in front.

Lois and Bill, for the moment, are staying with Grandma and Grandpa Greer in a rather nice large room of the house Grandma and Ed are renting in Cokato. It is handy for them, being there, as they are in full swing building. I am not sure what I should call the building -- it is their future garage, but for now it is their little bungalow -- which is to be their home, and a cute one, too. They are getting lots of help from many sources ... and I have promised to help paint the interior when they get that far.

It will have an L-shaped room which will be the living room, dining room along the east side, then a cute little, handy kitchenette on the south side in the middle part, and in the southwest corner there will be a bathroom, which will include a shower. That leaves most of the west side of the house for their bedroom.

Lois is so excited about finally having their own home. She is also excited because, at that last conference back at the Gandys', they had decided on the logistics of getting Lois's belongings here. She has her bedroom set, a cedar chest (full of the nicest things!), lots and lots of gifts from the wedding, that have been packed away since they were married, and a few items her folks are giving her, all still stored at the Gandys'. So, after the house is finished, the Gandys intend to come for a visit. I am not sure of all the details, but sometime in this month they should be here. I am almost as happy as Lois is to think of their visit.

I decided I needed a portrait made of myself. So I had it taken in Cokato at the Gust Akerlund Photography Studio. I am pleased with the proofs and have picked the one I want made up. Gust is so funny. A couple years back, when we had our family picture taken and Mom complained how bad she looked on one proof, he told her, "Ven you take a picture of a monkey ... you get a picture of a monkey." He has a heavy accent and is very "smart aleck" talking -- and he is old and homely -- but he can take pictures and is moderate in pricing them, so he has plenty of work, even though you might get insulted in the process. I was ready to sass him right back (we're up North now, you know) but I did not have to, as he was very nice and polite to me.

Now my next week's plans are all made ... first we go to Olsons' on Sunday. It will be nice to see them again as it has been a long time since we have been there. Lois and Bill will go, too ... but Blanche and Jim have moved too far away to come with us.

On Monday, the 8th, Grandma Mellon wants me to come and help her with babysitting Tommy Mellon. Rolly and Marcella are going to be moving to Waverly. I didn't ask any particulars, but it sounds like their intentions are to buy Grandpa's store so that my grandparents (who will have their 50th wedding anniversary next November) will be able to retire.

Grandpa Mellon holding great grandson Tommy.

Grandpa wants to work in his garden and around his house and get in some fishing, mostly with Doctor Roholt, who is not only Grandpa and Grandma's friend but is also their doctor. He is my doctor, and had been for the rest of our family, too. The rest of the family chose to go to the new doctor in Howard Lake. However, because Billy knew Dr. Roholt, and also because there is a hospital in Watertown that Dr. Roholt uses, which is the closest available hospital for them, he and Lois decided that they would have him for their doctor, too.

Then, on Tuesday, the 9th, I will take the bus to visit my aunt (Elizabeth McCalla -- we call her Anty). She is having company for supper ... and I want to get to visit with them, too. Gilbert and Jean are to be there for the meal and overnight. It has been a while since I have been to visit Anty and a really long time since I have been with my cousin Gilbert.

Also, Anty will pick me up when I get to Minneapolis and she says we can stop at the music department of Montgomery Ward on our way to the apartment. I want to pick up a couple copies of sheet music that I heard a lot on our trip. To Each His Own by Eddy Howard and Ole Buttermilk Sky by Kay Kyser. [Click on the link on this page.] As she is coming to Grandma and Ed's for the rest of the week, Anty will drop me off at home. I don't much care for driving in the city, so I am glad Anty will be the driver!

So those are my plans for the next week. After I get those three things in, maybe I will get in some prime time laying around and resting up!

Jean & Gilbert McCalla with dog.

Homesteading Days at Effie, Minnesota, as toldby Bruce McCorkell

Larry McCorkell sent us a manuscript he transcribed from his father's tape recorded memories and made it available to The Bulletin for a series of excerpts. These stories were originally tape recorded by Bruce McCorkell of his growing up days on the homestead near Effie in northern Minnesota. They were recorded from a period of the mid 1980's until the early 2000's. These are Bruce's words of happy, sad, funny, good, and hard times.

Olive holding Bruce, left; Raymond, Bruce & David McCorkell on the the footbridge between the house & the road, right, about 1930.


Some things in our young lives really impress us. Either we remember them as good times or we remember them as not so good. One thing that used to really terrify me was when we went to town. I was three or four years old, so that I can remember it. I never forgot. We had a very steep hill on the road to home there. We called it the Canyon Hill Road and it was just like that.

It was the road we used prior to when the North Bustie Road was completed straight east and west out to Number Thirty Eight until we came to the road that went south to Effie. We went west of the homestead past Oscar Jenson's about three miles or so. That's that big field on the right side of the road as you're going west and then we turned south probably a mile on what we called the Canyon Hill Road. Then it turned west again for a ways and then angled mostly south and it was hilly and curvy until it came out on the South Bustie Road, which is Highway One now.

I think the road is still there. You should be able to see it. It would be kind fun to go over there sometime and see if you could still get through that road. Anyway, then we turned that corner west again and we went half a mile or so and then there was a fire tower right there on the top of that big hill there. That's where the big hill was. You went down a very steep hill right down and up, sharp up and down. It was a tremendous steep hill down and just right straight up on the other side. Canyon Hill. That was really something.

When the road was good and smooth, when it hadn't rained and rutted it up, they used to take a run with the old Model T. You would floorboard the thing as hard as they could for about two miles before they got to the hill and just go flying over that hill with that old Model T and go down that hill and if everything was all right and there wasn't anybody sitting on the bottom, why, you could coast over that thing. And that was kind of hazardous, when I think about it, because you wouldn't know if somebody was down at the bottom of the hill or trying to come up. That was kind of stupid, I think. Oh man. It sure would have been an awful mess, but it never happened, I guess.

Anyway, you'd take a run as hard as that Model T would go, and down that hill you would go, and up the other side, and you'd make it. They said Uncle Rob was the one that could take that hill. If he couldn't make that hill, there wasn't anybody in the country that could, because he really drove like a wild man. I don't remember that, of course. Uncle Walt wasn't far behind him either.

When it rained it was something else again. When the roads were bad the old Model T's wouldn't go up that hill. You'd always get stuck. You'd go about half way up and it wouldn't go any more. The road wasn't so good a lot of the time, if it was a little muddy and rutty or slippery or rough, then you couldn't get up the hill all the way. The Model T's didn't have a fuel pump to pump the gas to the carburetor, the gasoline was gravity fed. You sat right on the gas tank. It was under the front seat. When you were going uphill, you used up all the gas in the carburetor, and ran out of gas. They'd stop before they got to the top. They didn't have enough power.

So then you went backwards down the hill if you didn't make it, and that was a real thrill too, to me, to go backwards down the hill in the dark. It would scare the life out of the kids and Ma and Grandma, too. You'd back down to the bottom of the hill, turn the old Model T around in the bottom of that Canyon Hill, and then you started backing the car up the hill because then the gas tank would be higher than the engine and the gas would run into the carburetor. And if that wasn't something. You would take a good run backwards from the bottom as fast as you could go and try to back up the hill.

Brake shoes actually made the car move. Not brake shoes on the wheels, but in the transmission. A lot of times you would have to stop down at the bottom of the hill and tighten those brake shoes up a little bit because they started to slip. You'd back up that hill. It's a good thing you had somebody with you because you'd back up about four or five feet and somebody would have to be out there to stick a block under the wheels quick when it wouldn't pull any more while you took it out of gear. They had a kind of a brake for a clutch and you'd push that lever down as hard as you could with your foot. You revved up the old motor and jam on the old clutch, push the backup peddle down, and let it go again, and go another four or five feet. Oh boy, that used to be something. That used to scare us to death. That was an awful exercise.

That was the way you would get up that stupid hill and that just took forever. They'd goose her some more and you usually wore out the reverse band by the time you got up the hill. If you ever did get up there, you'd have to go home and overhaul the stupid car and put a new band on it. Yes, those were some funny old days, I'll tell you.

I remember some of the last times my dad driving on Canyon Hill. The gas tank was right under the front seat. You lifted up the seat and put in the gas. You could get a gas cap, if you want to call it that, that's threaded in with real fine threads. It had a little valve in it like your inner tube that you could screw your tire pump on and pump air in the gas tank. There wasn't any fuel pump on the cars so there was no way of getting gas. If you didn't have enough speed to go sailing up over the next hill, if it was rough or if it was muddy, then you'd have to turn around on the bottom of the hill and back up the hill so the gas would run into the carburetor. But if you pump some air into it with this gas cap, you could usually make a little run and get up that hill without turning around. That's what this gas cap business was for.

Just before he made the dash down that other hill, he'd stop and pump air in the gas tank. Then you tore out of there like a madman, and hopefully you'd get up to the top. My dad was a little more cautious, but Uncle Walt and Uncle Rob, I'm telling you, they'd start back as far as they could and just open that old T Model up and would just be a flying down there and come to that hill. If they ever met anybody coming up that hill or going down that hill, it would just be a pile of junk. There's no way in the world they could have survived because it was just a one width wide road. But they never met anybody. Fortunately there wasn't that much traffic, but oh boy, oh boy, those two guys could go.

Travelogue t

Photos © Mitzi Swenson
Woman peeling potatoes, left; grating coconut, right.

Zanzibar: Swahili Cooking Class
by Mitzi Swenson
Dickinson, ND

Another couple staying at Paradise Beach Bungalows on Paje Beach asked if we'd like to take a Swahili cooking class the next day. We had talked about how much fun that would be, too, so right after breakfast a man from the village came to get us. We walked along the beach about a mile to his home in the village. It was likely a really nice home and quite clean by their standards. Flies and ants are just part of life here. There were two women giving babies, who couldn't walk yet, baths in a tub on the cement floor. We were offered a chair or short stool (5" high) to sit on.

One lady started peeling potatoes with a dull knife, which she reached over and sharpened on the concrete ledge which served as a sink. The other woman sat on a low stool with a rounded, rough-toothed blade attached and started scraping half of a coconut against it. It effectively grated the coconut into a bowl on the floor. Kjirsten and Jenny tried it but I declined because my knee length skirt was going to be an issue with that short stool and my long legs.

Photos © Mitzi Swenson
Kjirsten grates coconut, left; woman sorts rice, right.

After peeling potatoes, tomatoes, onion and garlic, she beat the sliced onion and garlic in a huge wooden mortar and pestle. Added to the pot with a little water and a spoonful of mild curry powder, it was set on a charcoal stove to cook.

Meanwhile, the man had rinsed a squid and it was boiling on another charcoal stove. Later, it was sliced and added to the vegetables to cook longer. The coconut was rinsed with water and squeezed by hand over a strainer several times to make the coconut milk. That would be brought to a boil and white rice added to make coconut rice. It had a very mild coconut flavor when it was served.

Photos © Mitzi Swenson
Boiled squid, left; woman cooks over charcoal, right.

Jenny thoughtfully supplied us with a squirt of hand sanitizer just before we sat on the floor on a woven mat to eat. We had watched the lady wash and rinse the dishes we'd be using. Because it was Ramadan, and they were fasting until sundown, they wouldn't be eating with us. The meal was delicious; a menu would have listed squid in coconut sauce with coconut rice.

Photos © Mitzi Swenson
Squeezing coconut to make coconut milk, left; we'll sit on the mat to eat, right.

The babies were taking turns being cared for by neighbor kids and napping. One woke up and was sitting on the floor. I had observed that they didn't wear diapers, just little panties. Soon there was a puddle. She was whisked to the plastic tub and washed off and given dry panties. The puddle was diluted with a little water and wiped up with a shirt which was thrown on a small pile of laundry. In a couple of minutes, the floor was dry.

Photos © Mitzi Swenson
Squid in coconut sauce & coconut rice: DELICIOUS! Cute baby, right.

After lunch, we went downtown to share cold coconut water and pistachio gelato. When it was time to return to Stone Town, we were picked up by a 13-passenger minivan, where we rode in the jump seats. A woman in front of us had a cap from the Baylor Pediatric AIDS Project. Kjirsten talked to her and found out she is a faculty member at the University of Albuquerque, where Kjirsten is hoping to interview for Emergency Medicine.

To be continued...

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days
February 16---Presidents' Day

This Week's Anniversaries
February 18---Roy and Betty Weiland Droel (16 years)

More February Birthdays
February 1---Kathlyn Johnson Anderson
February 3---Penny Miller Kramer
February 4---Cameron Birkholz
February 6---Melody Printz
February 6---Kelli Nicole Mellon (10 years old)
February 7---Rylie Johnson (7 years old)
February 11---Alexander James Indermark (1 year old)

February 27---Bonnie Anderson
February 28---Eric Anderson

More February Anniversaries
February 4---Jim and Jan Smith (48 years)
February 6---Russ and Judy Miller Riesenberg (28 years)

February 24---Jess and Louise Cloyd (64 years)
February 26---Tim and Char Morgan Myron (26 years)
February 28---Junior and Doris Anderson (47 years)

February Special Days
February 2---Groundhog Day
February 12---Abraham Lincoln's Birthday
February 14---Valentine's Day
February 16---Presidents' Day
February 22---George Washington's Birthday

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Susie Holman
Hunter Holman especially appreciated the hotel's swimming pool.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

Oh, Aunt Dorothy ... each issue of The Bulletin just gets better and better. Thanks to everyone each week who contributes to The Bulletin and for all of the people behind the scenes who put in so much hard work!

I loved this week's piece that you wrote! I grew up knowing Grandma Lois's family and friends, like A.B. and Charlene, Aunt Bessie and Uncle Jim, Doyle and Katherine, etc. but had never seen pictures of them in their "younger" days. And, just so you don't feel so bad, Uncle Charlie (as we called him) scared me a little bit, too! Ha! He seemed so gruff to me as a child, but he also fascinated me. Anyway, I absolutely loved reading about your trip to Texas!

On a different note, I have also enjoyed the pottery of Sarah's ... really beautiful!

Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Hico, TX

I'm continuing to enjoy your memoir about my family. I just had a good chuckle over the episode with Uncle Charlie Russo. I was "scared to death" of him as a little girl, for the reasons you mentioned in your article. He was big and gruff sounding, opinionated, and said exactly what he thought as soon as he thought it! But after you got to know him better, you realized that "his bark was bigger than his bite" ... and he really was soft hearted! I've seen him pull out his big handkerchief and "cry like a baby" when something was touching to him. (Oh, by the way ... Ya'll is singular ... the plural is "all ya'll" ... Smile.)

Growing up in Texas, I used to wonder what people said if they didn't say ya'll. When I married Harold and moved "North" (anywhere above Oklahoma), I learned that it is "you guys" ... which is what I now find myself saying! (Smile.)

Carol Dake Printz
Sidney, NE

Thank you for adding my name to The Bulletin and the addendum! I had read some in the past, when Mother had forwarded them to me, but am glad to now be receiving them on a regular basis.

I can't say I remember you directly, but have heard Mom speak of you often.

Thank you for editing The Bulletin and for the e-mail you sent me! Hope this finds you well.

Eric Printz
Oregon City, OR

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

While Roy finishes putting the doors on the little cupboard in the bathroom (maybe incentive from Weston, who knows?) I will begin this LTTE, as I am so anxious to tell you how much we enjoyed it again this time.

Roy built this home nearly 50 years ago, and now and then it needs some TLC. The cupboard under the bathroom sink needed a refresher coat of varnish, and now it is done. All that is left is just to put the doors back on. Since Roy's stroke in April 1999, it is not easy for him to do projects one handed, but it is amazing how he can manage. Sometimes I actually forget he has a weak left side. He hasn't used a cane until just recently, and then only for distance and difficult conditions. Otherwise he usually can depend on my aid, and I just love helping him. I have a hard time doing very much for him, though, as he is wanting to be able to do it himself.

As The Bulletin #347 scrolled down on my screen I actually said "OH!" right out loud, when I saw those beautiful peonies. We needed that bit of spring tonic about now. They looked so real I wanted to touch the velvety, soft petals.

I did not know Lorella, who passed away, but what a very nice memorial. Her family will treasure that remembrance. It was helpful to have the previous Bulletins to look back to, giving details of the family. What a well kept farm and setting, as pictured of their family home.

Another Update that I couldn't enter into, not knowing the Thompsons, was the one from the Ken Kitto family. What a shock and sudden turn of events to have had happen when Jory's dad was so critically hurt in the ATV accident. It will be a very long time healing all those broken bones, with lifelong effects. It is good Kenny and Ruth Kitto are nearby to be a help and comfort.

Thank you Gina, for that update on Abby, and the sweet picture. Your home will never be the same now since little Abby has been added, and we thank you for all you share about her at this stage and phase. You even had time and thought to comment on Grandma's new office.

I am sure, knowing Sarah, that she will be finding a pottery wheel somewhere and establishing it, probably by the spinning wheel in her homey home. I was impressed at all the different shapes and sizes that she created. I have watched a potter in Redwing, Minnesota, and to get the top rim shaped and so smooth takes skill.

And, Matriarch, next week is already Valentine's Day? Will be very special to see what all our subscribers submit, and I am sure there will be a lot of sweet little babies show up on the pages.

Memory Lane is getting more interesting all the time. Especially, with the pictures to illustrate the story. I think it's quite a brilliant mind to recall all the little incidents, don't you? Y'all just keep up the good work, OK?

The picture of Will and Lillian Gandy at their older age, and then little baby Carol Dake at the beginning of life, was very impressive.

The Homesteading trip To Effie was so interesting. That's just about exactly the way it was back then, when a trip to town was a major event. Especially, with the old cars and the old roads in the north. I am glad Bruce could share all those treasures out of his memory and heart while he was still able.

The Travelogue about Zanzibar destination looked so beautiful. The water and the sand and the thatched roof and food details kept us captivated and glad it was the Swensons and not us. We are so content at our older age to be home and read about others' trips.

I loved reading the variety of Miss Hetty letters this week. Fun to hear what others have to write about that impressed them in The Bulletin. So Jim and Jan ate at Jax. Well, Roy and I have yet to decide where to have our anniversary dinner, which is coming up pretty fast here. Jax has a lovely view of a well manicured garden out their big windows, but this time of year in Minneapolis it will probably be snowdrifts.

I had to smile at the Quotation for the Day comment about enjoying every idle hour in the winter season. Actually, not too many hours are idle. If I had some idle hours I would look through our albums of our 16 years of being Roy and Betty Droel.

Thanks again for another very uncommon Bulletin #347.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Susie Holman
Bitzi's antennae perk up for chocolate.

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: Love unlocks doors and opens windows that weren't even there before. --Mignon McLaughlin

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where