The Bulletin
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
Two Yellow Lady Slipper Orchids.

Updates -

Photo © Mavis Morgan
Cowboy Jett Freesemann rides Ricky with neighbor Nancy Ruland leading her gentle 18-year-old mare; neighbor Kayla Copeland leads Dollar, her 3-year-old mule.

Update -- Jett Freesemann visits his grandparents
by Mavis Morgan
Hope, ND

Jettison Freesemann had his annual vacation to his grandparents' farm at Hope, North Dakota, recently. Tom and Mavis Morgan enjoy having any grandchildren who can come and spend time with them during the summer months.

Photo © Mavis Morgan
On Sunday we stopped at Nancy and Kayla's to see the baby kittens. Jett is very interested in any animal.

Photos © Mavis Morgan
Cowboy Jett enjoys his farm horse, which was a gift to him from grandpa Tom when he was 1 year old, left; Kayla holds Jett as Nancy shows him a leopard frog, right. Jett learns about little frogs with Bo and Penny, the dogs, looking on.

Photos © Mavis Morgan
Cowboys need baths, too. Jett gets cleaned up and ready for bed after his busy day on the farm, left; Jett reads Come Walk With Me through the farm to learn more about animals before he goes to "rest his eyes," as he calls it.

Update -- Hunter Holman's grandpa catches a bass
by Lois Holman
Liberty Lake, WA

Hello from Spokane, Washington. Tim Holman, Hunter Holman’s grandpa, went camping over the 4th of July weekend in northern Idaho. He brought along his old 25-year-old canoe and slipped it into Benewah Lake. Alas, a largemouth bass, weighing perhaps 4 -- or possibly 8 -- pounds, hooked himself on his fishing line. Fortunately for the fish, he was released back into the lake.

Tim Holman with largemouth bass he caught in northern Idaho.

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell
LeRoy & Yvonne Dake have a new address. They are presently living in Erskine, Minnesota, close to Larry & Sherry Dake, Michael, Sarah, Levi, & Kira Steinhauer, as well as Ken & Amy Harrison.

Photo © Ken Carson
Oreo, the designated adult in the room, listens respectfully.

Update -- grandkitties get a talking to
by Miss Kitty
Anchorage, AK

You recall that Cheerio had a misadventure awhile back that gave everybody a good scare when he disappeared. Well, Kyra said they made some changes to make sure it didn't happen again.

"We replaced the window screens and sat down with Oreo and explained that he needed to keep everyone in the house next time. Nobody has permission to go on a field trip. Irene will be checking, too. (She's the cat sitter.)"

Why Oreo? We thought he was Mr. Mischief. Apparently not. Cheerio's the goof-off now.

"Oreo weighs the most (after Cheerio's misadventure, at least) and he likes to be the center of attention," Kyra said. "I would have said that Cheerio was the adult in the bunch, but we saw how that worked out. Tabasco is the juvenile delinquent. If there is something mischievous they can do, she'll be the first to try it."

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Ryan Hellevang supplied last week's mystery picture.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... generally in the order we receive them, so the first guess received is on top.

In answer to the guess picture, I should know those three smiling faces. They are our dear grandchildren, Lindsay Hellevang on the left, with her brother Ryan and his wife, Jessica.

Mavis Morgan
Hope, ND

How about this for a guess? Jessica and Ryan Hellevang. I can't decide who the other lady is. Could it be Lindsay?

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Photo © 2007 Randy Brandon
Forget-Me-Nots in the rain, with verse by William Blake.
(Click here for enlargement.)

by Jerrianne Lowther
Anchorage, AK

This week marked the second anniversary of Coni Waltzing's passing, after half a year's battle with incurable cancer, chronicled week by week in The Bulletin as we hoped for a cure that was not to be. We remembered her brave smile and unquenchable spirit and wondered whether we should bring it to mind again here. Then, this morning's news headlined the death of Dr. Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and the basis of a best-selling book.

Last fall, Donna Mae had sent a link to a YouTube video of that "last lecture" to a number of people on her e-mail list and we did not forget it. Though I never met Coni Waltzing or Randy Pausch in person, I'd like to acknowledge the gift of a shining example they both gave of facing adversity with great courage and a blazing smile. They lived with enthusiasm and seized the day, living as well and fully as they could for as long as they could. They were an inspiration to many.

They were so young ... Coni, 27, engaged to Weston, set a wedding date, made plans, and bought a wedding dress -- but didn't live long enough to wear it. Randy Pausch, 47, left three children, 6 years old and younger. He said the "last lecture" was primarily for his kids, and that someday, when they were old enough, they would see the video and read the book. Meanwhile, he took his then 5-year-old son, Dylan, swimming with dolphins, trying to imprint an indelible memory in a little boy who loved animals. Though his doctors guessed he had three to six months to live, he persisted almost a year -- determined to have fun every day and make every day count.

And we remembered Diana Martin, 68, who also didn't live to see "three score and ten," but seemed more concerned about Coni's fight with cancer than her own. She left us 14 months ago. To these three -- and to so many others -- who, by example, taught us how to live each day well and fully, we say Thank You for your gift, an enduring legacy. We shall remember you.

Larry McCorkell sent us a manuscript he transcribed from his father's tape recorded memories and made it available to The Bulletin for a series of excerpts. These stories were originally tape recorded by Bruce McCorkell of his growing up days on the homestead near Effie in northern Minnesota. They were recorded from a period of the mid 1980's until the early 2000's. These are Bruce's words of happy, sad, funny, good, and hard times.


In our country, they raised excellent gardens. We lived in one of the best places and the North Bustie Road was one of the last areas of the whole area to freeze. So that was fortunate. Tomatoes would ripen and we had good corn.

We always had a large garden. Ma was a good gardener. Everybody had a good garden, but especially we did. It was just an excellent garden area there. We always had everything; potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, everything that would grow. My dad would put cow manure on there every spring. We really had a garden.

Ma canned a lot of vegetables. If it wouldn't been for that, we would have been hungry. We had a big root house. One year my ma said she canned nine hundred quarts of tomatoes. Then we had everything way into the next summer. It would just about see us through.


This is one of the things I never looked forward to doing. We had a couple of acres under cultivation. My dad usually had potatoes and fodder corn that he liked to feed to the animals. We cut it by hand and stacked it up by hand in the fall, which was no easy task either.

When this corn would get two or three inches up out of the ground, then we had to cultivate. He had an old cultivator there that we pulled with one horse. We had a good old horse, Ned, but he'd step on the corn. I had to ride horseback and my dad would cultivate and we'd go up and down. I hated that because old Ned would kick a fly with his foot and when he'd come down on it, he'd be about two feet off from where he belonged and plompo, right on a corn hill and then my dad would holler about that.

That was a job. It was usually an all day process to get that corn cultivated when we could be playing and doing important things like that. We got the corn cultivated. We used to have to do that two or three times during the summer.


Another thing I didn't like to do was potato bugs. Potato bugs were just thick over in that country. That's one thing about that area. They'd chew up those vines if you'd let them get big. Sometimes we'd pick the leaves. They'd lay their eggs on the bottom of a leaf, like say a half an inch around or so. You'd just pinch off that part of the leaf and drop it in a little can with some kerosene in it and kill them. Then we used to spray it with this Paris Green.

That's the thing today that they're hollering about that was buried around in the country. It's similar stuff to what they killed grasshoppers with. Now it's such a bad thing they're digging up those barrels that were buried. That was in the thirties. There is a lot of it still around but we're still alive. So that was another job we had to do several times in the summer. It seemed like sometimes those potato bugs were worse than other times.

Travelogue t

Photo © Kjirsten Swenson
Mitzi & Sheldon Swenson, Plaza in Huaraz, Peru.

Huayhuash Trek Of Peru
by Sheldon and Mitzi Swenson
Dickinson, ND

Kjirsten, Mitzi and I have just completed the 12-day Huayhuash circuit of Peru. We first learned of this trek when visiting Peru three years ago. It involves a circuit around one of the most outstanding mountain ranges of Peru, including the second highest mountain of Peru, around 22,000 feet high.

The campgrounds are situated, for the most part by high mountain lakes, providing some of the best high mountain scenery in the world. It is remote, with challenging access (long, slow, dusty bus rides), so we saw way more cows and sheep than people.

Kjirsten had a break from her studies, so we decided this would be a good time to return to Peru to do this trek. We had hoped Shane and Tyler could join us but Shane could not take this much time off from work and Tyler decided he would rather work in a chemistry lab at North Dakota State University for the summer. Aunika just simply said, "No way."

Getting There

We flew from Minneapolis to Houston to Lima. It was a bit worrisome when they could not get one of the engines to start when trying to depart Houston, but after a two-hour delay, it was started and, fortunately, continued to run while flying to Lima.

The next morning involved a nine-hour bus ride to the mountain gateway city of Huaraz, gaining 10,000 feet of elevation. We would spend the next few days in Huaraz acclimatizing and preparing for the trek.

Normal people would have booked this trek in advance with a trekking agency that would have charged a lot of money and done everything for us. However, we are traveling with Kjirsten, who had assured me we will just work it out when we get there.


Huaraz is large, for a city in the mountains, about 90,000 people clustered into a small valley, with shops and housing very compact. With a lot of trekkers and mountain climbers coming and going, there is plenty of good lodging and a lot of very good restaurants, making this a very desirable place to be for a few days.

Once in Huaraz, we contacted a guide who said he could make the necessary arrangements for a muleteer to join us at the departure village of Pocpa. However there is no phone service in Pocpa so he would travel with us and make the arrangements once we arrived there.

We spent the next two days buying food for the planned 12 to 14 days on the trail. This included 140 pieces of bread, a lot of soup mix, cocoa powder, four 1-kilogram cans of powdered milk, cheese, a lot of fresh and dried fruit, fresh vegetables, and plenty of good, Peruvian chocolate.

Photo © Sheldon Swenson
Kjirsten, Mitzi, on top floor of Hostal Albergue Churup in Huaraz.

Mitzi's Journal

After a short overnight in Lima, Peru, we rode a bus on Monday morning for eight hours to Huaraz, where we will spend several days acclimatizing before beginning the Huayhuash Circuit trek. Hostal Albergue Churup is a great place to stay -- family run, clean and includes breakfast of bread, coffee and tea. There is a kitchen available for guest use so we go to the market to buy fruit to add to breakfast. The mangoes are the best I've ever had, as sweet as honey and not stringy. We eat lots of mangoes, peaches and mandarins over the next few days and try several fruits that are native to Peru.

Huaraz is a beautiful little city, surrounded by snow-capped mountains. The main market is about a10-minute walk down the street from our hostel. There are a lot of little tiendas on the way, and we pass several ladies in indigenous clothing who have spread blankets on the sidewalk and are sitting while knitting hats and scarves to sell.

The market is two levels with many small prepared-food stands on the upper level, and areas for meat, breads and baking, fruit and vegetables, clothing and household items on the lower level. I am amazed that the stray dogs don't try to eat from the large bags of dog food that are open, right next to bags of rice, corn, beans, etc.

There is a lot of fresh meat; the chicken so fresh that in an adjoining room they are being butchered. We try to avoid the scary water draining out of that place on the sidewalk when we walk by, and I hold my breath. One lady on a street corner has a cage with guinea pigs for sale. These critters are not pets, but instead are destined to be a lucky family's dinner. "Cuy" is one Peruvian delicacy we avoided, though locals assured us it tastes just like chicken. Later in the week, we see people herding sheep and pigs on their way to market.

Photos © Sheldon Swenson
Fresh fruit, left, and meat, right, in the market in Huaraz

We tell Juan at the hostel we'd like to hire a muleteer for the Huayhuash and he introduces us to Rodrigo Callupe, who we later find out is a mountain climber. Rodrigo grew up in Pocpa, the tiny village where we will begin our hike, and he is traveling there to visit his parents for the weekend. He will ride with us on the bus on Friday and upon arrival will make arrangements for a muleteer as there are no phones in the village.

Kjirsten and I make several trips to the market and other stores to buy our food. We've ordered or bought almost everything -- planning for 14 days. Imagine 160 pieces of bread-like buns, 14 packages of soup, several pounds of oatmeal, dry milk, cocoa powder, etc. I'm sure we have enough food for a few extra days. Good thing we'll have four mules to carry it all! Later, we will buy some cheese, oranges, apples, tomatoes, carrots, avocadoes, etc. for the first few days of the trek.

Photo © Sheldon Swenson
Kjirsten & Mitzi buying food for the Huayhuash Trek

We've eaten like royalty in Huaraz, trying lots of local dishes, but that is about to change. We are nearly ready for the adventure to begin.

To be continued...

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Photos © Jerrianne Lowther
Kyra & Mic negotiate "the lemon squeezer," a rock formation with passages so narrow that packs had to be removed and boosted up to the ledge, left; crossing the Hudson River on the Bear Mountain Bridge, right. Pedestrian toll in 1973 was 10 cents.

Appalachian Trail Trek: July 1973
by Jerrianne Lowther
Anchorage, AK

It's always something! We'd stay in town to pack up food for the next hundred miles and the sun would come out. When we were ready to hike out of Delaware Water Gap, it was raining. Caught on a mountainside in a thunderstorm, we saw trees that had been struck by lightning, twisted and broken and still steaming. We were so close we could smell the ozone after a strike ... and there was no place to go. But the clouds rolled away and we rolled on. We crossed the New York Thruway and the Hudson River and headed for Connecticut. We were on a roll.

"....Mosquitoes, gnats, and no-see-ums attacked in swarms. We waved them away with bandanas during the day and avoided them at night by retreating to our tent. When we could stand them no longer, I hitchhiked to a nearby town to replenish our bug lotion supply.

"'Dad blew his mind on repellent,' Kyra wrote in her log. 'What will we do with five different kinds?'

"At Raymond Torrey Shelter, Kyra dove inside the tent as soon as I'd put it up.

"'Ha, ha, can't get me you dumb bugs!' she taunted, zipping the netting tight.

"We no longer used the open shelters because of the bugs. If we found one at all, we pitched our tent near it, sometimes in it. That evening Kyra rolled out the bags and stayed inside, nodding off to sleep before dinner.

"Another hiker arrived and pitched his tent near ours. I recognized the tall, thin young man from times we'd seen him the past few days. He introduced himself as Rainer Ober.

"'Have you been on the trail long?' Jerri asked. 'We've seen a lot of you lately.'

"'I started in Delaware Water Gap,' he replied; 'a couple weeks ago -- July 10, I guess.'

"'That's when we were there,' I said. 'We'd just pulled in.'

"'Yeah,' Rainer went on. 'I'm not in any rush. I get up late and mosey along until I feel like quitting. I usually sit out rainstorms in my tent.'

"'Sounds wonderful,' said Jerri.

"'Well, not always. I don't have a guidebook and I'm never sure of where I am. I've gotten lost a couple times.'

"'Off the trail, you mean,' she kidded. 'AT hikers never get lost.'

"'I remember seeing your tent,' I said. 'We walked past it in the rain at Lake Tiorati Circle. You had a radio going.'

"'Yeah, I was listening for the weather. Rained like crazy later. I woke up in the middle of the night to find a river running right through the tent!'

"'You'll have plenty of rain if you're near us,' Jerri added.

"'I was wondering ...' he said hesitantly. 'Would you mind if I walked with you a while? I've been alone for two weeks and could use a little company.'

"'How far are you going?' Jerri asked.

"'Wherever I get in another week.'

"'We walk rather slow,' I said. 'Anywhere from zero to sixteen miles a day. You might find us pretty boring.'

"'That's fine,' he said. 'At least you know where you're going.' Thus our band of three became four next morning, heading north through the final miles of New York." --from Walking North, by Mic Lowther.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
July 27---Wyatt Timothy Mellon (11 years)
July 29---Heather Henderson
July 29---Colleen Mellon Scott
July 30---Justin Printz
July 31---Tim Myron
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
July 27---Larry and Sherry Dake (30 years)
July 29---Charles and Ardis Sigman Quick (36 years)

More July Birthdays
July 1---Suzanne McCorkell
July 1---Jim Smith
July 1---Zachary Elliot Smith (4 years)
July 3---Vonnie Dake
July 4---Brian Lehtola
July 5---LeRoy Dake
July 5---Jennifer Dake Horne
July 6---James Miller
July 7---Kimberly Johnson
July 8---Trenton Loredo Roberson (5 years)
July 13---Zach Bratten
July 13---Ginny Adair
July 15---Tom Morgan
July 15---William Earl Dake
July 15---Sherry Dake
July 18---Callie Printz (7 years)
July 19---Patricia Dake Meyer
July 19---Marlee Morgan Freesemann
July 19---Devon S. Stewart
July 20---Michael Miller
July 20---Susie Miller Smith
July 24---Donna Jacobson Anderson
July 24---Jeni Larson
July 26---Tytus Joshua Myron

More July Anniversaries
July 1---Ken and Amy Dake Harrison (1 year)
July 8---Shawn and Lori Chap Ostendorf (2 years)
July 19---Dan and Nancy Mellon (39 years)
July 21---Capt. Jack and Ginny Adair (46 years)

July Special Days
July 4---Independence Day

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Photo © Sarah Steinhauer
Curious kids: Levi & Kira Steinhauer.

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thanks so much for the lovely anniversary greeting! Nancy and I had a perfectly enjoyable dinner at our favorite restaurant. We were able to reserve their best and most private booth. So, now we have entered the beginning of our 40th year. That's a long time! Thanks again!

Dan and Nancy Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

They say everyone gets their turn.

Well, we got our turn. Our computer, which has always been dependable although it is older, crashed. If that is the term to use. I was downloading something and I decided to immediately remove it. As I was removing it, everything came to a screeching halt.

Not one single device or program was left on the computer. To make a week-long story short, we had to begin from scratch with the whole operating system installed again, and now to begin to re-install all the programs. The printer, scanner, and DSL modem were like they had never been installed, but all is back to normal now and it's faster than ever, not having all the drag of so much on the hard drive that we had after years of accumulation. We were very glad that AOL had everything saved in it.

It happened right after The Bulletin had come last Saturday morning, and now it is up and running so we can get one, as usual, tomorrow morning. Life is very different without a computer and the contact world wide with up to the moment news of our friends.

Just wanted to tell you this, Miss Hetty, so you can alert our subscribers to be very careful what they download free. We will be, that is for sure.

Roy and Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

Finally, I'm back in the e-mail business. Just before we left for Mitch and Kim's on July 2, our hard drive died. So, to make a long story short, we're up and going again. And I missed identifying MY own lovely wife and kids to boot!

Duane is over at Dad's and if all goes as planned they are coming here tomorrow.

Steve Miller
Coral Springs, FL

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

As I sit here with the printed Bulletin in my hand, and a feeling of excitement in my mind at the opportunity to comment on it page for page, the very first thing that is so outstanding, and takes a lot of time to study for the many details in it, is the first picture.

I was totally absorbed in looking at that picture when The Bulletin arrived, and can hardly believe that it's not a professional photo that was purchased. Can that person actually be someone Ryan Hellevang knew? What a most spectacular shot! It would be an instant window of opportunity to ever click that pose, and Ryan was able to capture the grand spray of water. [That's Jeff Gauderman kicking up that magnificent roostertail as he rides the wake. --Ed.]

I was wishing I had a vocabulary to describe the picture as I see it. I've never actually seen that kind of spray so I was mesmerized. Then the photo of the family, also by Ryan. Quite an audience that would have seen that wave first hand. It would be most unusual for a family of 19 to be together as the Morgans were for Tom's 80th birthday. We thought Morgan Lake Retreat was on fire, but it was just Tom's cake. [Another "Find" in Ryan's web gallery.]

Rather a coincidence that I gave Roy a Norelco shaver for his birthday.

I really enjoyed seeing the group picture and trying to pick out each person named. Can anything be more enjoyable than a loving, close family? It didn't sound like rain daunted the fun. The website gallery was very interesting. We could use more of the water surfing pictures, Ryan.

We keep thinking of Virginia Adair having such a long recovery from her broken bones. Now the additional pain and time is happening. Thanks for the Updates, Cap'n Jack and Dorothy. Looks like she is accepting her lot graciously as she sits in the wheelchair.

It was great having the Update from Montana. Right now Ken and Ruth are traveling back home to Arizona from Montana and North Dakota. They will have a blast of heat as they walk into their Arizona home. We are hoping their long drive will be uneventful and safe.

The Indermarks' Update from Arizona was most welcome as we want to keep up with the children growing up so fast. Wonderful to be near Grandma Shari's house, and the pool is a plus!

Also, Devan Seaman will never forget his time at Grandma's, either.

Thank you, Miss Kitty, for the Update on the mailbox lady. You won't mind seeing the bees now that you learned how necessary they are.

Then Donna Mae once again had a most interesting account of the pig roast for the Oliva and Wolbrink birthdays. Only once have I been at a pig roast like that, and it was fabulous. So juicy and so tender. Not to be compared in any way with the oven roasted kind. I loved seeing the picture of Donna Mae and Beaver with Anita. A rarity seeing a picture of those two together. One usually has to man the camera.

We are never too old to learn something new. Now such a simple thing as the lock on the box of the roll of wrap brought to our attention. I think we all have had to fight with the roll coming out of the box.

The Bee Story was very educational, and it does not seem likely that just anyone can handle bees. Fun to read about the bear visiting.

I have been up north picking blueberries where Bruce McCorkell mentioned in his Homesteading Days story. All I remember is the bugs and flies and mosquitoes, but I also faintly remember the pies and jam that resulted. That's another world, up there in the north country.

You might know there would be some exotic flower picture in the A Long Time Ago chapter. Also, until I read the explanation I wondered whatever that picture was supposed to be of, and it was a caterpillar. The river of rocks does not look one bit inviting, but you had to take the good with the bad, evidently, on your hike. I remember reading about the Worthington Bakery in the book, Walking North. What a grand treat after a grueling hike and climb as is pictured and related again in Jerrianne's account in The Bulletin.

I read it with great interest and admiration for anyone staying with that hike from beginning to end. Thirty-five years ago seems like yesterday, according to the details we are reading.

I had to laugh at the quote from the book by Mic about not stopping to dawdle all day, ha. He was pretty anxious to keep moving, not to stop and take pictures, but thanks, Jerrianne, for persevering, as we are truly enjoying every picture you reprint for us.

WOW, AN ANNOUNCEMENT! Thank you for sharing your good news, Shawn and Lori! It will be another wonderful story for The Bulletin and for us to follow as this event occurs. We are hoping all goes well in every way, and McKenna will be ecstatic.

That was so much fun to read the letter from Donna Richards commenting on the fish fry we had. That makes it worthwhile to write an LTTE when we find out someone actually does read it.

Even Kyra sent in a comment about the picture of letting the cat out of the bag. Kyra, we need an update on YOUR three cats again soon.

Nothing from LTD Storybrooke this time, but he is totally buried in responsibility, which would leave no time for sheep stories right now.

CHUCKLES was another totally out of the ordinary pose that Ryan captured. What a camera, to take sharp and clear moving objects!

Well, after our computer crash just the evening of The Bulletin arriving, the Quotation for the day was timely. Adversity and crisis make us stronger. Roy and I should be pretty strong after this past week.

Thanks again for allowing me to comment on The Bulletin, Editor and Photo Editor and staff. I look forward to it eagerly, and only wish I could describe our appreciation of each article more clearly.

Roy and Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Susie Holman
Hunter is ready to ride!

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: We don't beat the reaper by living longer; we beat the reaper by living well and living fully. --Dr. Randy Pausch

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where