by Rachel (Patty and Curt Henderson's daughter -- and, of course, that makes her our granddaughter.)

Summer seems to go so fast!! Ever since we got back from Emo, Canada, I've been working at the nursing home in Glencoe. I had two weeks of orientation, and I'm finally off by myself. Since I'm scheduled every other weekend, I can ask to work whenever, and then pick up as many shifts as I want. It's great to have such a flexible job -- especially for when school starts! I haven't been doing too much else lately ... I have summer b-ball and v-ball, and we've been going out to the lake a few times a week to go wakeboarding; it's tons of fun!!

Thanks so much for keeping up the bulletin!! It's been great to keep tabs on everyone.


by Marlee (Mavis and Tom Morgan's youngest daughter)

Hi Aunt Dorothy!!
Thanks for all your hard work on the bulletin!! It's great! Keep them coming!!

We continue to "keep busy" like the rest of the world's population, although I have had a little more time to catch up since I haven't been working. I have been concentrating on getting a new job as a stay at home mom, which is quite time consuming!! We submitted our letter to a local adoption agency here in Minneapolis in mid May and have continued doing our own networking since.

Last Friday night, we posted cards all over the University of Minnesota campus. It has been quite an adventure so far. In the meantime, my friends talked me into a crazy endeavor -- I am starting to train to do a marathon in January. "Do" keeps it open to just walking! It is to help The American Stroke Association raise money for research and awareness -- a good cause. Interesting that we are planning to sell Krispy Kreme Donuts to raise the dough, but carrots and celery sticks don't go over as well, for some reason.

After our camping trip this weekend with the entire Morgan family, we will have Uncle company for a couple of weeks. Troy's great uncle, Ben Tuin (just turned 91) will spend a week with us while his co-worker, Rich Raschke, travels to Illinois for Seneca Convention. On the 7th of August, Troy's Uncle LeRoy Sager will spend some time here while Troy's parents are gone to Atlanta. He has been living with Troy's parents the past couple of years. I also have a full-time babysitting job that week for a 3-month old, so I guess I won't be having to look for things to keep me occupied.

Troy is still enjoying his job at West Group, selling legal publications. His Dad recently retired from 35 years of working for the Government, so we enjoyed being with all of his family at the festivities. Thanks again for "The Bulletin." It's a great way to keep up with everyone. Take care and say Hello to your wonderful pie maker!


by Tami (Janie and Dwight Anderson's daughter)

Just wanted to give you an update. I had a great time at Marshfield Clinic-Eau Claire. I was doing my first clinical rotation in optometry there. I wouldn't mind staying for another 10 weeks!! However, I have only one full week left and then I leave for Hazleton, Pennsylvania, for another 10 weeks.

I hope to see some of the East while I am out there and already have a trip to New York City planned for about five days during my week off. It should be a lot of fun. Jason is going and I will meet Rick and Barb out there, also.

Have a great weekend!

The Family Cookbook
Culinary Heirlooms
volume eighteen
by Doug Anderson

      This week's edition will be a bit of a departure from what you are used to, since my recipe file is empty. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, but I really would like to hear from you...
      Enough solicitation. This week I have decided to hand over the reins to our Assistant Food Editor, Elaine. Elaine was probably there when food was invented, so listen up. (That wasn't meant as a comment on her age, either, just her abilities!) Get out your Notebook (either kind) and prepare for:

Conversations with the North Dakota Gourmet

We always had a lot of rhubarb on the farm and we kids got so tired of rhubarb sauce, but it was economical and available, so we had a lot of it, growing up. However today, there is nothing I like more than an ice cold dish of rhubarb sauce ... or some jam. This is jam that Cleo used to make. I can almost smell it cooking.

Combine 4 cups of rhubarb and 3 cups of candy orange slices with 1 cup sugar and 2 cups orange juice. I remember her just using water here if no juice available. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, and cook until desired thickness. Pour into containers, cool and seal with paraffin ... if there's enough to preserve, instead of eating fresh!

In the spring we had lots of garden lettuce. We loved Wilted Lettuce she would make with the drippings of some bacon in a fry pan. Add a little chopped onion to the drippings, cook until soft and yellow. Stir in a quarter cup of vinegar, then add a quart of leaf lettuce, washed and cut. Cover and heat a few minutes, until lettuce wilts. Salt and pepper. I think she sometimes added a snitch of sugar also. I know she always added a snitch of sugar to gravy and soup, too.

At the Historical Society, the lunch ladies often had such good pickles. Found out they made them from dill pickles. Drain a quart of dill pickles and quarter them lengthwise. Add one and half cups sugar (and red pepper, if desired.) Put in a bowl for a day or two, as you refrigerate and stir often. Then return to jar and refrigerate.

      Wasn't that fun? Thanks Elaine, for saving the day again! She didn't get to be Assistant Food Editor by sitting on her hands, that is clear.
      I will be taking a little break while my recipe file fills up, but I hope to be back in a couple of weeks, or so. Until then, keep your thermometer calibrated and may your whisk be true!

Memory Lane

A Cautionary Tale
By Doug

      I pulled on my crimson red bellbottom corduroys and slipped on my "bumpers," sans the socks. I started my Saturday morning off right with a generous helping of Frankenberry cereal and began to mull over options in my mind.
      It was late spring and that meant huge mud puddles, more like ponds, actually. That much water could represent a world of possibilities, which I was eager to exploit.
      I knew that my Mother and Father had planned a visit to some friends' house, leaving myself and my sisters on our own, to invent our own pastimes.
      This was not that uncommon, and we usually managed to stay out of trouble. Usually.
      I poured at least 50 to 75 BB's into the barrel of my Daisy and wondered why they gave such a girlish name to a gun. That was the kind of thing I usually pondered when others may have thought I was completely "out to lunch." If contemplating the banal had been a crime, I would have surely been imprisoned.
      I grabbed my GI JOE foot locker, which had become a makeshift "barracks" for my plastic green army men. I set the little soldiers, forever frozen in various exaggerated positions, in and around one of the many mud ponds that checkered our property.
      Then my target practice began. If you've ever tried to hit little plastic army men with a BB gun, you know that it can be an unfulfilling experience. Especially if the barrel of your gun happens to be bent a little. I moved closer and closer until I was nearly on top of my targets. Then I saw something move.
      A moving target, wow, what a concept. I moved back again, to give the frogs a sporting chance. After twenty minutes or so, the mud pond was alive with moving targets, hopping and swimming about in every direction. I pulled off shot after shot, to no avail. The frogs were proving to be even more elusive than my plastic soldiers.
      "Whatchya' doin?" Came a voice from behind me. It was my sister Patty.
      "Hunting frogs," I said, drawing a watchful bead on the pond.
      "Why?" She asked. I ignored her obviously pointless question and squeezed off another round.
      Phoomp. Nothing.
      "Look, if you want to help, why don't you go over there and see if you can scare them toward me," I said, impatiently. Much to my amazement, she cautiously rounded the mud pond to the other side.
      "What are you guys doing?" Great. It was my niece, Lori.
      "Quiet," I said, sternly. "You wanna scare them all away?"
      "Scare what away?" Hunting is lost on girls, I thought.
      "The frogs," I said. "Now sit down and be quiet, if you want to stay."
      "Can I help?" I silently weighed the pros and cons of her proposition.
      "Sure," I said, finally. "You can retrieve the ones that I hit."
      Lori wrinkled her freckled brow, a little taken back, but sat down obediently by my side.
      "What's going on?" Great. Another helper, this time my sister, Marlene.
      "Shhhh," shushed Lori. "We're hunting frogs."
      "Why?" That question again. This time we all ignored it in unison. Patty rushed into the pond up to her knees, beating the water with a large stick she had purloined for such purposes. Out came ten or fifteen frogs and I fired away like Sargent Rock, missing every one.
      "You keep missing," said Marlene.
      "Well, the barrel's bent!" I protested.
      "Looks fine to me. Let me try," she said. I pulled the gun closer to myself, horrified at the thought.
      "C'mon, give it here!" she said, grabbing the gun. We struggled for ten or fifteen seconds and then both fell headlong into mud pond, gun and all. As we fell under the surface, multitudes of frogs passed us on the way out. When we surfaced, we were greeted by the uproarious laughter of Lori and Patty, standing at the water's edge, enjoying the show.
      Marlene and I exchanged a quick, meaningful glance and each instantly knew what the other was thinking. Marlene leapt from the pond, agile as a gazelle and grabbed Patty who had been too busy laughing to flee. I, in turn, grabbed a feebly protesting Lori, and it had all begun.
      Before too long, we had all stolen the frog's habitat and were wallowing in the mud pond, gleeful as hogs in a sty. We took turns getting a good running start and diving headlong into the pond, which was deep and long enough to accommodate all of us. Somehow, this mud pond was much more exciting than any lake or pool could have ever been.
      Soon it began to rain, and we took advantage and let Mother Nature rinse the mudwater from our clothes, dancing and squealing in the cool spring rain.
      Somewhere, many frogs breathed a sigh of relief in unison.

by Donna

I have a question, to any of you that feel like sharing... (If you receive this bulletin, you are an eligible contributor; please don't feel like you are just a wallflower or onlooker!)

What is the earliest memory you have?


Someone asked to tell of happenings, "As far back as you can remember."

You know at my age, it is a long, long time ago. Perhaps some of our brainy relatives will not believe, or may be thinking I got a touch of Alzheimer's beginning. Let me tell you about an incident that I am sure happened in about 1933. (That's 70 years ago!)

My grandfather bought a late model Model "A" automobile. He traded in his Model "T" sedan at a Wahpeton dealer. At that time my folks were driving a cutoff Model "T" they referred to it as a "puddle-jumper." Dad made it over from an older car.

Anyway, Dad went to Wahpeton and bought the used car that Grandpa had traded in. Us kids were so happy to have a "new" car. (It had windows that rolled up and down.) It had soft cushion seats and many other luxuries! We thoughi it was so modern!

The next Sunday our family drove to Grandma and Grandpa's to show off our prized buy. Dad spent much of that morning shining it up and cleaning it. He was very proud of it. Now we had a modern car that we could keep warm as we rode. Yes, it had a self starter. The windshield wiper was hand operated.

Upon arriving at Grandpa's farm near Great Bend, Grandma came out. Upon seeing our family arriving in such a great style, she immediately shouted, "Ack-a yeah!"

Mom was quick to tell her, "Now we have a car like the one you used to have," to which Grandma replied, "Oh, but ours wasn't this shabby!"

I will tell you another. Shortly after the Lindbergh baby was kidnapped -- now you all know it was in 1932. I was about six. Our family, which at the time numbered four children, Deloris being 3 years old. We drove to Jamestown to visit Dad's uncle and aunt. We stayed overnight. The trip from Dwight to Jamestown was a very long trip.

We children slept on the upstairs bedroom floor, my "bed" being near a window. I began crying and Mom asked me, "What's the matter?"

I said, "I won't be here tomorrow, I will be kidnapped!" The news of the Lindbergh kidnapping was heavy on my mind.


Just finished reading the bulletin. Sad to see the ending to your trip story. Enjoyed the letters from Gert, Char and Merna; good to hear something from each. Love Doug's recipe titles :-) Come on people ... send him your favorites, the titles are so fun!

I know you've heard that my son, Derrick, surprised me by getting me a new computer system. It is an e-machines model, and he also got me a printer, scanner, copy, and fax machine all in one. I was so surprised. He really did make my day. But of course, he didn't have to do this for me, cause just him being here was enough.

I had mentioned to Donna, about your family newsletter, that she said maybe you could put me on your mailing list, too. I really do enjoy reading all the happenings, even though all I might do is just read it. Who knows, I may even send something for you to put in it. Melanie and Ardis did our first family newsletter a few weeks ago, but they still have some glitches to figure out.



Hi there everybody -- hope you enjoy this feature -- and feel free to contribute your favorite smile maker! (This Memory item Don sent made me chuckle -- so that is where I am using it -- after all, the editor does that sort of thing! DMA)

One more, then I quit. Speaking of the miles between Dwight and Jamestown. Ha, this is good.

Elaine introduced me to a young lady, Leone Martin, from Driscoll, North Dakota. Elaine met her at Valley City, going to school there that summer of 1947. I got the brainy idea I would go see her. Her letters seemed encouraging. I started out in my 1937 Plymouth for Driscoll right after dinner on a Sunday. I got west of Fargo and I felt I was getting far away from home. I still had to go to Valley City and Jamestown and then almost to Bismarck.

I stopped near Valley City, I think, and used the bathroom and then got a bottle of orange crush to drink. It was then I had a thought, "No woman is worth driving this far for." I headed for home.

The way it was, I got back home in time for chores that night. Mom asked me where I was. I told her I took a leisure drive "out West."

Elaine, Do you recall this?

Enough for now, seems things come to mind if you really think long enough.

(I would think it is farther to St. Cloud than to Jamestown -- but when you meet the right girl then it IS worth the drive? Eh?)

Classifieds (


Much love to offer -- Agency Approved
If you happen to know someone who
is considering placing an infant for
adoption, please pass this information on
to them. Thank you for helping to make
our dreams come true.
Marlee and Troy 1-800-482-2402
code #6338

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. --Sydney Smith

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.