This Just in...
The Results of our UFO Photo Query:

When we published our "UFO" photo (See above) and asked the readers to send us possible explanations, we expected some interesting answers. We'll publish the ones we received, anyway.

Barb Dewey says "...That spot to me looks like a water drop on the lens..." This was by far our most popular answer. Then she adds, "...if you look in the clouds themselves it looks like two round-faced old people watching the scene below." Wow, I personally can't SEE that, but it sure merits points for creativity.

My brother Don told Mom that he thought it looked like a "...flaw in the photo." Possibly...

My personal favorite came from Auntie Elaine, who said "'s the Good Year Blimp in the sky." It really DOES look like a blimp or inflatable airship of some kind. This is the most scientifically sound theory put forth thus far, undoubtedly.

Muriel said "It's a Minnesota mosquito." The only flaw in that theory is that the photo was taken near San Francisco. Better luck next time, Muriel.

Marlene said "What is Doug talking about? I don't see anything." Poor, poor, Marlene. Doesn't have a single clue. Sad, really.

I can only hypothesize as to what the enigmatic "spot" on the photo can be. I know that there is something weird going on at the bottom of the photo, as well. (My friend Peter from Rochester pointed that out to me.) Nevertheless, I am quite convinced that the "UFO" is the tip of mountain poking through the dense fog. If you have a good monitor you can see the slightest suggestion of a mountain range in the middle sky above the ocean. I believe that a peak was protruding through the dense fog just enough to resemble an object in the sky. Either that, or it's a space vehicle landing in the ocean for a rendezvous with the Mother Ship. Thanks for playing!

Updates -

by Eric

Hi Grandma!
It's Eric.
I loved reading what everyone had to say about the wedding in the Bulletin. Doug did a great job of capturing the event and Donna gave us all a 4-year-old's view of the day.

Let me start by saying, it was hot! Very hot! Patty told me later that it was the hottest day so far this year, with highs nearing 95 degrees. At least the humidity was less than it had been earlier in the week, and we decided to have an early evening wedding, which made it a little bit cooler.

Both Leona and I had a great time the whole day. It's all kind of a blur right now, but I remember everyone coming up and giving me hugs and saying how happy they were for us. The ceremony went out fabulously. With the help of our minister, Christa, we picked the text word for word. We even wrote and memorized our own vows. Everyone in the wedding party knew exactly what their part was. Jayce and Caity were both fantastic and looked incredibly cute.

As has been mentioned, after the ceremony we had a pig roast. I've never seen food disappear that fast! It was unbelievable! Everyone who came said the food was wonderful and I would tend to agree, although I only got a chance to eat about half a plate before I was dragged away for another round of pictures.

Later that night there was some dancing and we opened up all our cards and gifts. When the sun started to go down it got much cooler and everyone left had a big bonfire in the back woods. It was a very pleasant end to a very enjoyable day.

Both Leona and I would like to thank everyone who came, and to those that couldn't be there, know that you were in our thoughts as well. We want to thank Doug again for his wonderful rendition of our song, Jayce and Caity for so graciously being the flower girl and ring bearer, and all the people who helped the whole day go off without a hitch. We would especially like to thank my folks for providing such a lovely location for such a special day. The cabin looked spectacular and the food was the best wedding fare I've ever had, if I say so myself.

I hope everyone had as much fun as Leona and me. It'll be a day I remember for the rest of my life and I thank you all for that.

The day after the wedding we left for our honeymoon. We spent four days at the Naniboujou Lodge, which is 15 miles north of Grand Marais, Minnesota, and about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We had a very nice time up there. It was quiet and we didn't have anywhere we needed to be, so it was very relaxing.

It was hot up there too. It was close to 90 every day we were there, which is odd, if you know the area. We had a lot of fun, though. We went into Canada one day and drove to Thunder Bay. We went to the Grand Portage National Monument and saw the re-creation of the old fur trading post. We went on a hike and took walks down the beach; we skipped stones in the lake and read Trivial Pursuit questions to each other as the sun went down.

And then :::sigh::: we had to come home.

I start school next Monday, bright and early at 8 a.m., which means it's back to getting up at 6:30 for me (5:30 Tuesday and Thursday), but oh well, at least I'm finally getting it done. Leona only has about three more semesters left and then she'll be done.

But I should be going. Leona will be home any minute and it's my turn to make dinner (Hamburger Helper).

Thanks again to everyone.
You all helped to make it such a wonderful day.

Eric and Leona Anderson

UPDATE -- New Job
by Chris

Once again it has been far too long since I have last written to you. First of all, I suppose that I should give you an update on what has been happening in my life.

I transferred down to the Eden Prairie Menards in May and have been working there for the past three months. This is when I realized that retail wasn't for me, so I began looking for different jobs.

Most of my searching was done in the insurance industry, because that is something that I have been interested to learn more about.

One of Lori's friends works at an employment placement agency and she got me an interview with American Family insurance this past Wednesday.

Well, the interview went extremely well and I received a telephone call the next day saying that I got the job.

I'm very excited to get started in a new career. The nice aspect about this job is that they are going to pay for me to get my insurance licenses, which will be
very helpful in the future.

The position that I have with the company is that I will be assisting an insurance agent with sales. The first month on the job, I will be training and getting the licenses that I need and I will also receive training on the different programs that American Family uses.

Once the training is complete, I will then be paired up with an agent and we will then be based out of a smaller branch office. The training will be located out of their main office, which is in Eden Prairie.

I hope that I explained all of that well enough, but if you do have any questions, just let me know and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please tell grandpa hi for me, and I hope that you are both doing well these days. Talk to you later.

by Cousin Diana (Mellon) Martin

Prayers would be greatly appreciated for my daughters Maralee and Brenda. Both have recently been diagnosed with very serious bone degenerative diseases, Brenda being the most severe, requiring surgery ASAP. She is my daughter that went through so much last year ... something like seven weeks in the hospital due to a botched surgery. Anyway, her doctor diagnosed that she had, also, recently had a mild stroke! Age 45! No drink, or smoke, or bad eating habits ... exercises regularly ... Just threw us for a loop! She is also Grand Mal Epileptic, and has had a rough time all her life with health issues. Her husband, a registered nurse, says she's quite a trouper, and not complaining ... just wants to get this done and over with! Love to all. ....Diana

A Day Together at the Minnesota State Fair
By Donna

A day at the big Minnesota fair has been something I've enjoyed for years, so when Lori called and asked if we were coming, I decided, YES we would. So, Becky, Caity, Jayce and I headed to the cities. We picked up Lori and she drove us on to the fair, arriving in the early afternoon. We'd decided an entire day would be too much for all of us, so hadn't been in any hurry to get there very early, as we wanted to spend some time after dark, when the lights add to fun of it all. It was a good decision, as we ended up having plenty to wear us out by the time we called it quits.

We were lucky to find a spot in the free parking lot right north of the fair (that is, it's free with four or more people). This meant just a short walk for us to the fairgrounds. The sounds of the fair could be heard as soon as we left the van, adding to the excitement. Attending this large fair is still something I enjoy and it's even more fun knowing that my girls and a couple of the grandchildren are along to share it with me.

Right inside the gates is an overhead ride, rather like a ski ride; it goes from the north end all the way to the grandstands and then back again. It's free and gives a great view of the fair, something a person should try if they are able. Lori and Caity decided to do that, while Becky, Jayce and I did some other exploring and then waited for them to come back. While waiting, we watched the many people walking by and enjoyed the nice weather, with a good breeze, making it very enjoyable.

We next headed right to the food building, as Lori hadn't eaten yet and we were in the mood to try out some of our favorites. Lori and I have to get our burritos each time we go, so that was our first stop. They were yummy, as usual. Caity enjoyed them, along with us, so we seem to have another burrito lover. Lori's found in the last couple years or so, a stand that sells deep fried pickle slices, with cream cheese; sounds rather odd, but we all enjoyed them. Jayce included; of course he loves pickles so no big surprise.

Becky did her huge dill pickle on the stick instead, one of her "must haves," while on a fair visit. Her other things during the day included chocolate chip cookies and milk, cotton candy and pizza. I tried the new "key lime pie on a stick." (They put most anything and everything on a stick now.) Lori purchased some cheese curds later in the day, which we shared, another "must have" for our state fair visits. I'm sure there were other things, but not coming to mind right now -- needless to say, we had PLENTY!

After indulging our first whims on the food list, we were off to do the circuit of shopping vendor areas, wandering through the Agriculture building first. Then on to the Mexican market area. (Forgive me if I get names wrong; if you've been there, you'll get the drift and it really doesn't matter.) LOTS of people and it was hot in the crowded areas. Each opening where there was a breeze was a welcome relief! Caity and Jayce tried out the hammocks; Lori found a couple neat little purchases at one of the booths. Colors and sounds gave a little flavor of Mexico, right here in Minnesota.

On down the street with our view being a sea of people stretched out ahead of us, judging by what we saw, there was an awesome turnout the day we were there! We wound ourselves in and out without too much trouble, a feat with the stroller along. But a stroller or wagon is a must to alternate the kids in and also to lug our "stuff" (Mounds of stuff, which grew as the day progressed!) We saw many a sleeping child in a wagon or stroller, all done in and enjoying their siestas! Neither of our two chose to sleep, though; too much to see and do, but they did really well, so it was fun to have them awake.

I heard some music at a little band shell, and decided to listen to a few numbers. Lori wandered off with the kids to check out the big fish in the pond nearby and the children's barn area. Becky headed off for her cookies and milk. After they all returned, we headed to the coliseum and made the outer circle of booths there. I enjoyed the fans that most booths had, as indoors it became overly warm in a BIG hurry. We managed to escape this area without any buys, just a lot of looking, including watching some horses for a very short while.

We decided that the smells coming from the animals barns were good enough; we didn't need to inspect them further. We wandered along down the streets heading for the Heritage Square. The people, the rides, the new food stands, so many things to take in, it is quite amazing. We had to stop and watch people being flung into the air at a couple different locations. WHAT are they thinking? Wasn't enough to entice most of us, although Caity thought it looked like fun! It certainly created a lot of screaming, even from adult men (questionable on the adult part).

Heritage Square didn't reveal any "must have" bargains either, although I did spot a buffalo head for Patty A. Even called and left her a message about it. Other than that, we just looked at each place and moved on. There were square dances going on, with the ladies all dressed in their flouncy skirts and the couples swinging around in grand style; we just watched as we walked around that far end of the square. As we exited this area, I was still too full to buy my normal cream puff, from a stand located near there. That's probably a first time in years at the Fair that I didn't have one!

We continued on down the street to the booths located under the Grandstands, to do some more shopping/ looking. Becky bought a root beer float, which she kindly shared, and it really hit the spot! Root beer floats bring back good memories of summers past; what's not to love? Lori, Becky and I each got a "find" in this area. We opted out on doing the second level, as by now we were pretty well shopped out.

Our next goal, back to the big band shell, off we trundled, somewhat slower than earlier in the day. Who didn't we run into, but Peggy! So, Peggy and Eddie joined us for a nice visit. They went along with Caity and me up the space needle thing, next to the band shell. I'd forgotten what a marvelous view that gives a person. Caity was very impressed with how very far we could see from the top. It's a lovely smooth, enclosed, rotating ride that I'd think most people would enjoy.

Lori took Jayce off to a fun time at the children's area. He got to pick apples, potatoes and carrots and got to trade them for "money," which in turn bought him treats. They also got in on the Home Depot free time for children; he got an apron and was shown how to build a "toolbox" with Lori's assistance. Sounds like he had a great time!

Next, it was finally getting dark, meaning ride time, which is how we kept the two "good" the earlier part of the day, with promises of rides, if they deserved it, so off Lori and Becky went to take Caity and Jayce to deliver on this promise. I decided visiting with Peggy and Eddie, was the thing I preferred to do ... I was ready to sit for a while; in fact it felt very good to do so. I realized the 4-H building and dairy building, that I usually go through, were going to have to wait for another year, running out of time and energy by this point.

After listening to performer, Suzie Boguss for a while, all of our crew were ready to call it a day, so we took our leave of Peggy and Eddie. A good day at the fair! And, I don't think one of us even had a corn dog, which looks like a fair staple, with a stand on almost every corner selling them. I did choose a strawberry creme drink, as my last fair selection. It proved to be the perfect way to top the day off, with the taste of summer via fresh strawberries. What a wonderful time!

The Family Cookbook
Culinary Heirlooms
number twenty-two
by Doug Anderson

      Once again the cupboard is bare, so I must take matters into my own hands. Today's recipe is as much fun to SAY as it is to make, and you can use your newfound knowledge to dazzle your friends. You have most likely heard of Vichyssoise, pronounced Vish-ee-swa, but didn't know that is simply cream of potato leek soup, usually served cold. Here's what to do:

Cream of Potato Leek Soup, or Vichyssoise

Peel 20 small Yukon Gold potatoes (Other varieties may be used.)
dice 10 potatoes at 1/4 inch and par boil for 20 minutes, or until tender.
Set aside to add to mixture later.

Par boil the remaining 10 potatoes for 35 minutes, or until soft and puree in
food processor with even amounts of water. You will have to do roughly three
potatoes at a time. (It is a good idea to use the water you boiled the potatoes in.)

The mixture should have the consistency of pancake batter.
Heat mixture in medium sized stock pot and add the following:
8 large leeks, chopped (white part only)
2 and 1/2 quarts chicken stock
1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
1 quart whole cream
The diced and boiled potatoes
Sea salt to taste.

Simmer at low heat for one hour.
Serve either warm or chilled, depending on the weather; serves 12-14.

      See how simple? Elegant but not overblown, and perfect for these "dog days" of late summer, if you serve it chilled. I hope you like it. I certainly didn't invent it, although you will find my recipe differs quite a bit from the traditional one, so I guess it's okay to print it here.
      How about you? Let's see what you've got, send it to and thrill when you read it here! If not, I might start publishing my poetry in this spot, and we don't want that, now do we?

Memory Lane

Country Living
by Dorothy
Part 3

Uncle Curtis had me wrapped around his finger in no time flat. He had the smooth tongue of a true Irish gentleman! He decided he would love to see Mom's garden (that she and I had kept as neat as a pin -- and that was in its full glory) and on the way we had to check out all the flowers, the apple orchard and only after exclaiming over it all and then by making the announcement, "I make my living in the big city of Seattle: but, I am a country boy at heart," did the entourage finally move towards the house -- and on the way I knew what Mom would expect me to do!

I invited them into the house, and I could see Uncle Curtis was in tune with country living as he shooed us all in and quickly shut the screen door to keep out the flies.

I mentioned that we could all go to the living room, but all three declined and after making comments on the hominess of the kitchen, and after checking out the peaches and Mom's flowers blooming with lovely abandon on the window shelf, my Irish Uncle began complimenting me on the wonderful aroma of it all -- and then he gave me the perfect opportunity of an Irish hostess by the comment that set the stage:

"Is that a fresh cake under that white cloth? It surely seems like it to this weary traveler! And is there anything better than a piece of newly baked cake?"

All three of my sweet kinfolk decided that coffee would probably be even better than tea (as I was a little shaky about how to make tea -- and coffee was something I did often -- even the company kind, which I planned to do this time).

I got out the blue enamel coffee pot, then measured the water carefully -- and in a bowl I stirred up coffee (a rounding teaspoon for each cup and one for the pot) and broke an egg over it then stirred it up and dropped it into the cold water. I turned on the burner, brought it to a boil and boiled it a bit, pulled it off the burner and then drew some cold water and poured it in to settle the grounds. I had just finished what later proved to be perfect coffee -- and was about to cut the cake when the dogs made their greetings heard.

My Mom was so thrilled to see her beloved Uncle Curtis, and after much hugging and a few tears, she and Dad took everyone into the living room -- and then with Mom and Uncle Curtis busy getting caught up on all the relatives' doings, I breathed a sigh of relief.

I could now finish making the lunch with the entertainment pressure taken care of. Blanche sneaked in the back door (remember she was berry picking) and got washed up -- and then she and I served the lunch to many comments and compliments about how good it all was.

I can still feel within my heart the wonderful warmth of knowing I had made my parents and grandparents proud of me -- and it was so very special a day -- the one in which I met another dear relative and made my first move into the land of hostessing!

The End

Great Uncle Curtis & Grandma Mellon


I am an avid and faithful garage sales shopper, (my wife accuses me of being addicted to the activity). Let me tell you my latest experience.

We had a real deluxe answering machine for years, until it bit the dust.

I searched garage sales for another one. I found what looked like a good one, paid the price and took it home, only to find I got beat. My price range is seventy-five cents to a buck and a quarter. I picked up a second one after several more sales -- whoops! --not a working model. After still a third sting, I felt the law of averages would tell me the fourth one would be a good bet.

Would you believe it! That one was a real dud -- and died after spending two hours of coaxing it along.

I think I've got the only garbage can in Springfield with FOUR answering machines in it!

I now will bite the bullet and visit our local Wal-Mart to arrange delivery of a brand new one.

Garage sales? Oh yes! I never miss one when I see it!


Thank-you so much for the latest Bulletins! My best to Jim and his (what sounds like a difficult) move! LOVED the reporting of the wedding! I almost felt like I had been there! Diana

Enjoyed the Bulletin again. Eric's wedding write up was so nicely done by Doug, too, so feel like we got a lot from his and Donna's also. Elaine

Loved the bulletin! Thanks Doug, for the wedding write up. Will look forward to Eric and Leona's sharing with us. I'm enjoying your story, Mom; will be fun to read the next part. Makes these people "come alive." Keep up the super job. Thanks Elaine for your fun contributions. So, Mavis do you have more stories? dmj

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, and faith looks up.

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.