The Bulletin
Sunday, February 8, 2004
Browse The Bulletin archive index

Updates -

by Marlene

Thanks for The Bulletin. We're still enjoying reading it every week! I loved reading Beaver's account of the big trip. Made me laugh out loud.

We don't have any writer in this family, so nobody wants to tackle the "chore" of writing the travel log of our vacation. I sit down to put it into words and ... nothing. I guess it will suffice to say that we throughly enjoyed ourselves. The entire trip was beautiful starting with the flight over and being able to see the Florida keys from the air and the road that connects them all. Then flying over Cuba and finally landing in Grand Cayman. The wind was blowing the palm trees furiously. It was amazing that the pilot could land that big jet on that little island in that wind.

We got a taxi to our hotel without difficulty. It was a huge culture shock because we've never done anything like that before. We arrived at our hotel which was beautiful not only because it was on the water but because of all the green, green plantings.

There were two Sunday morning meetings on the island and one of the men from one of the meetings wouldn't hear of us hiring a cab to get to meeting, so they brought two vehicles and picked us up on Sunday. Then we were invited for Sunday lunch and for a visit and a tour around the island. Their names were Karen and Ishmael Goddard. We saw Mitzi and Sheldon's (Beaver's sister) names in their guest book, along with many others. That was kind of fun. They've also met Marley and Troy and other's who we know also.

Then it was snorkeling and swimming and swimming and snorkeling and swimming with the stingrays until it was time to go home. That's the short of it. A wonderful relaxing time and maybe some day we'll go back?


by Jim Miller

I Just read the latest Bulletin. That was some trip Richard J. took to Alaska. I can feel for them; have had some problems traveling in the OLDEN days, when things were expected to break down and give problems; and they did, didn't surprise you at all! Also the traveling by Kjirsten was so good. Glad I am long past that type of traveling, have had my share of it. I enjoyed reading the whole Bulletin.

I now have completed the move to a permanent home, just four miles to the meetings instead of 21 miles. I am just 1.7 from Sharon's. I see them and the grand kids and little ones several times a week. I had pizza dinner with Kristie and Jim's last night; that little girl has grown so and now entertains all present. Just fun to be close.
Jim Miller

Ketchikan ferry dock
Ketchikan: In Alaska, But Still A Long Way From Home
(Photo By Jerrianne Lowther)

North To Alaska!
By Richard Johnson

Part 2 of 5

January 8. We woke up later in the morning in our cabin with no windows and we were in pretty rough water. (Tough time to take a shower!) We both went up on the glassed in observation deck for a while, but Jerrianne, like many others, was seasick even with seasick pills. The water was rough enough that we had trouble keeping our chairs upright. Jerrianne went back to her bunk until we got out of the open Pacific waters of Queen Charlotte Sound and into smoother water, late in the afternoon. We found out the next day that the truck started moving around, even with four chains on it, so they added two more.

January 9. Jerrianne felt much better and the scenery was good, too. Haines Highway was still closed. Jerrianne made friends with lots of crew members while trying to get information on the road. She called the White Pass & Yukon Railway from Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Petersburg and finally found out that our truck was too high for the tunnels. Otherwise, we could have ridden that from Skagway to Whitehorse and bypassed the Haines Cutoff.

We decided to get off the MV Malaspina in Juneau and get back on the MV Matanuska the next day, if the road was clear. (MV stands for motor vessel; all of the Alaska ferry vessels are named for glaciers.)

January 10. We got off the boat at the Auke Bay ferry terminal, which is 14 miles from Juneau. Somebody had left the locking pins in the Juneau ramp and raised it up. That does bad things to ferry boat ramps, so I hear. We went motel hunting with Jerrianne ahead in the Scout and I followed in the truck. We only succeeded in knocking down some telephone and cable TV wires that were too low, so we took the truck back to Auke Bay and finally got into the fifth motel we tried. Don't ask directions of a resident of Juneau, as they don't know where things are, themselves, and they certainly can't tell anyone else.

With the heavy load and bigger tires on the truck, there wasn't enough clearance for chains. We knew we would need them in Haines, so I spent most of the day under the truck in the snow at 8 degrees below zero. I had to get spacers made at a local welding shop and put them under the rear springs.

January 11. We got up at 4:30 a.m., hoping to put chains on both vehicles before getting on the boat. I had a hard time getting them on the truck, but we had both vehicles ready to go just in time. We got on the boat and had a nice 5-hour ride, but the wind blew harder the closer we got to Haines. We got off the boat, tightened the chains and gassed up, etc.

We went to U.S. Customs to find out whether the road was open. They try to keep in contact with Canadian customs, where the road was bad, but the phone was out. Jerrianne was talking to the State Troopers on the phone when somebody came from that way and said it was closed, so she gave them the information instead of vice versa. We were disappointed, but there was nothing to do but stay there, and it was getting dark.

Part 2 of 5 – To be continued.

Hello Readers!
        I would like to introduce a new column that will run when my Family Cookbook file is empty. In this column, I will break down Chanticleer menu items (past and present) to try and make them practical enough for our readers to attempt at home. I think it might go a little something like this:

The Condensed Chef S
Fine Food in Just Minutes
By Doug Anderson

        Today's entree is a staple of the Chanticleer menu, meaning it is one of the few items that returns every menu because of its popularity. It is an opener, but I eat it at home as a low-carb and satisfying snack. It would make an excellent Hors-D'Oeuvre at your next dinner party or wrestling match, whatever you're into.

Grilled Portabella Caps with Pesto and Cheese

Portabella Mushroom caps, available at most supermarkets.
Pesto, store-bought is fine.
Grated cheese, I use Manchego, but Parmesan is fine.
Dressed Mesclun (optional.)
Pepperocinis (pickled yellow peppers) for garnish (optional.)

Grill the Portabella caps (both sides) until they soften and "weep." (ooze water.)
spread pesto evenly over the caps.
Apply cheese liberally.
Finish in oven, until cheese is melted and begins to turn golden.
Cut the mushroom caps to bite-size pieces.
Dress mesclun (spring mix) lightly with your favorite clear vinaigrette.
Litter a serving tray sparsely with the mesclun and place the portabella
pieces randomly around the mesclun, until it is pleasing to the eye.
Garnish with Pepperocinis, and Voila!

        Some of you may be mystified about mesclun, or spring mix.  It is just a combination of chicories you can find at most fine supermarkets.  You may substitute fresh parsley sprigs or get creative and find your own alternative, but it is important to add some kind of green to the presentation of this recipe. A bed of wilted spinach or kale would work, also.

        I hope some of you actually try this one out, and if you do, please write to me and tell me the results! See you next week!

Travelogue t

The Bolivian Beat
By Kjirsten Swenson

Kjirsten Goes Hiking

So I've now crossed the Chile-Argentina border seven times, but twice illegally. Oops ... more on that later.

For the past week I've been based out of Bariloche, Argentina. Bariloche is an Andean resort town very reminiscent of Banff. It's basically the gateway to Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi. The park has an excellent network of trails and refuges and great scenery. Some of the hikes I've done compare quite favorably to what we did in southern Patagonia. I'll try to post photos before I find myself in the Bolivian hinterland again.

A couple of days ago I had planned to hike up to a refuge located part way up Mt. Tronador, the highest peak in the park, and then return to the bottom the following day. I had slogged steadily uphill through the forest for over five hours when the Chilean border appeared.

The park people at the bottom had failed to mention to me that it was necessary to visit the Argentine border people at the bottom to obtain the necessary paperwork to pass into Chile, so as the Chilean border patrol guy explained this to me I just kept looking at him hopefully and apologizing, mumbling something about how the park people failed to mention this requirement when I registered for the hike.

I was hiking with an Argentine guy I met on the trail, and he suggested the Chileans let me go to the top and return the same day to the border to camp instead of staying at the refuge in Chile. They finally agreed to this.

We didn't tell the Chileans, but neither of us were carrying tents, meaning we'd have to reach the top and return to the bottom that same day if we didn't want to sleep on the ground... but not going to the top by then was unthinkable ... so we did it! I ended up hiking steadily for 14 hours, except for a 1/2 hour lunch break and a little over an hour at the refuge to soak in the amazing views. We gained and lost nearly a mile of vertical elevation that day and hiked something like 28 miles, the last couple in the dark. I didn't know my body could do that, but was proud. :)

The following day I did a less painful hike to a refugio located on a different face of the same mountain. Last night I slept in the refugio, and today hiked further up through the snow to a marvelous viewpoint before returning to the bottom and catching a bus to Bariloche.

Several people at had carried skis up there and I was jealous. I could spend many many days exploring this region, but must save something for a return trip. :)


This and That
by Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

By Annie Komorny

In the heat of July
When I'm feeling that I
Need a new pair of white summer shoes,
I go hunting in vain,
It soon becomes plain
All they're selling are blacks, browns and blues.

When the winter winds blow
Through the thick falling snow,
I hunt for some furry, warm boots.
But I'm too late again--
All they're showing then
Are the sandals and bathing suits!

Don's Fireside Chat
By Don Anderson

Our move is over and I want to thank all who made this relocation possible. Certainly, many hands make light work. Our family and friends have contributed so much to the planning and making it a enjoyable move.

You know, one has to be away for a time until you appreciate the good things in life Minnesota has to offer. I want to he honest, I have missed the little things that perhaps others have not even thought of. I like the cracking of snow underfoot. It requires cold weather to bring out the cracking effects. Missouri snow never had that as the snow there was too wet to crack underfoot.

Also enjoy the refreshing breath as you step our doors, then you know you have nostrils. I could go on and on the things I now enjoy, living back in Minnesota.

I am glad we chose January to move so we can get to see just how beautiful winter really is.

Now, we are well settled in. We love our cozy apartment. It has everything we need to give us comfortable living.

I don't intend to brag to make some folks jealous that live in far away lands who could not see the great beauty of a fresh snowfall. It is the simple things in life that have so much to offer, if only one could see them!

We are getting back to a normal pace now. This whole thing came upon us faster then we could keep up. We can hardly believe in a month's time all this has come to reality.

We enjoy our family, grandchildren coming in to visit and welcome this very much. As we get older, I have found the nice warm weather does not take first place over being nearer family.

I once heard as we get older we get wisdom. My turn has finally come.


Now I want to introduce a new author. I believe we may be hearing from her again. I enjoyed the manuscript and think you will too. The Editor

The Black Dogs
by Caity Mae Chap
(a second grader at Ashby)

There once lived three dogs. One of them was named Tom. Tom was a good dog and Tom was a boy. Another dog's name is Star. Star is, well let's say he is good. But again, Oh Boy. He will not tell you when he has to go out side and he barks way too much. The other dogs don't have any problem with that!

On January 16th a new dog named Rocks came. He was a very good dog. He got along with the other dogs. Day after day all the dogs got along with each other. But most importantly they didn't fight or growl at each other



Grandma A, keep up the great work with The Bulletin! When I subscribed, I had no idea I was going to learn so much about my own aunts, uncles, and cousins! Thanks for doing all the hard work in order to bring so many families together! We look forward to every issue!

Wyatt, Jolene, and Rylie

Dear Ones,

You just made my day, but in answer-- I do not want to take all the credit! Your Aunt Jerrianne is a real acting editor, who is educating me in the production of The Bulletin so it is getting so much easier to do. And I appreciate the fact that so many of you do help in so many ways. The most important being the letters you take time to write, the pictures you send, and the support you give!
It makes it fun to work when I have things to work with!!!!



Another job well done! I can't believe how slick each new edition looks with the photos and everything. I loved the addition of the "kids' quotes." What a hoot!



First Day of Kindergarten
By Beaver

After getting us all settled into desks for our first day of kindergarten, Mrs. Melby introduced herself, and then asked us to take turns standing up and telling everyone our name. Some of the new students were pretty tongue tied, and most could barely be heard. When my turn came, I stood up, and proclaimed loud and clear: "Beaver!"

Mrs. Melby said, "Very good, that's your nickname, what is your real name?" She had me there; I had no idea that I had a real name that wasn't Beaver. I had failed my first pop quiz, and therefore I was going to have homework. I suppose she thought I should hear my real name from my own parents, not from a teacher at school. She said, "You go home tonight and ask your mother to tell you your real name."

When I got home, I said to Mom, "Mrs. Melby says my real name isn't Beaver, and I'm supposed to find out what it is?"

Mom, seeming a bit embarrassed, said, "You know your real name is David!" Well, now that she mentioned it, I did seem to recall that I had heard that before.

The next day at school, Mrs. Melby asked me if I had found out my real name. Proud to have remembered this time, I told her it was David. She said, "That's very good, David, I'm glad you have learned your real name. Now, what is your middle name?"

I said, "That must be Beaver." So I got homework again, had to go home and ask my mother to tell me my middle name.

Nowadays there are programs to be sure that kids are ready to learn when they start school. I'll bet none of them need to go to school three days to learn their own name!

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: To get the full value of a joy, you must have sombody to divide it with. --Mark Twain

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.