Glaciated waterfall Go bananas!
Photo illustrations © Virginia McCorkell; frozen waterfall photo by Larry McCorkell
Winter hangs on... Cabin Fever, anyone? Go bananas!

Updates -

UPDATE -- Pancake Feed Benefit for Coni this Sunday
by The Bulletin staff

A pancake breakfast with a free will donation and silent auction, proceeds to help defray the cost of Coni's treatment for adrenal cancer, will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, March 12th, at the Osakis Community Center, in Osakis, Minnesota.

Coni has been feeling better this week, regaining her energy as the side effects of the first round of chemotherapy wore off. She returns to the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, this Tuesday, March 14th, for a second round of chemotherapy.

If anyone wishes to donate dollars toward Coni's recovery but won't be able to make it to the benefit, checks made out to "The Coni Waltzing Fund" may be sent to:

The Coni Waltzing Fund
c/o First National Bank of Osakis
PO Box 580
Osakis, MN 56360

Thank you to everyone who has included Coni in your thoughts and prayers, helped with benefits or contributed support in any form to aid in her recovery. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers again this week. You can send e-mails and e-cards to her here:

UPDATE -- Greg and Sonja get married
by Carolyn and Ernie Dake
Duluth, GA

Good news from our family. Our son Greg and his girlfriend, Sonja, got married Friday, March 3rd. We learned of the plan just a few days before it was to happen, so we did some rushing and planning and we were in Durham to go to the courthouse with them. They didn't want a big event and the courthouse wedding actually was very nice and touching.

Congratulations, Greg and Sonja, and we welcome another Mrs. Dake into the family.

We keep busy and life is good to us. Tax season means lots of work and stress, but I can come home most days thinking I still love my job. We have gotten to spend about every other weekend with the grandkids the last couple months. That is so special!

One weekend we went to the circus. Last weekend we found a new playground at the park. Even staying home to play with grandma's toys makes them happy.

Greetings to all who read The Bulletin. I love reading everyone's news and stories.

Photo Editors' Note: We're enjoying each episode of Greg and Sonja's Shanghai Travelogue. We're hoping for pictures of the wedding; in the meantime, we've snitched a couple from their blog.

Intrepid China adventurers Greg & Sonja tied the knot last week.

UPDATE -- Hannah gets a bootie & Jeff gets a cast
The Jeff & Twila Aydelotte Family
Anchorage, AK

I just wanted to send an update on our adventures. On Saturday, I took the kids to watch the Iditarod. It was quite exciting watching the dog teams rush by us. This was our first time seeing a sled dog race.

I've included a picture of Hannah's souvenir -- a dog bootie! The dogs lose a lot of booties on the trail and Hannah was given one by the race official that cleared the trail in the area where we were viewing the race. We learned that dog booties come in various colors and Hannah just happened to get a bright orange one.

Our camera went to the race with dead batteries, so we have no pictures of the kids and the dogs. However, the official web site has many pictures. (

Jeff was learning to skate with the kids and fell, trying to keep up with them. After a few hours in the ER, Jeff came home with a splint. He had broken his wrist and now has a cast on his arm.

He has plenty to do to keep his mind off skating. Jeff will keep busy by practicing with the Anchorage Concert Chorus. This is a large chorus that performs in the Performing Arts Center, in downtown Anchorage. Sometimes they sing with other large groups, such as the Anchorage Opera and the Anchorage Symphony. He auditioned for this chorus and is excited about singing with a talented group. The cast on his arm will come off just one day before he has to put on his tux for a concert! (

Hannah, 4, scores a dog bootie at Iditarod Sled Dog Race start.

UPDATE -- Roy and Betty meet a new great granddaughter

Roy Droel gets acquainted with great granddaughter Esme.

UPDATE -- Ben & Heather wait, expectantly
by Heather Henderson
Hastings, MN

I just thought I would drop a line or two to let everyone know what Ben and I have been up to. Here in Hastings, I am continuing to work two days a week at the bank and Ben has been working hard at his job at Kimley-Horn & Assoc.

We were just in Fargo last weekend for our baby shower up there. That was a lot of fun to see everyone again and we got some wonderful gifts. On the way up there, we stopped by Grandma and Grandpa's in Alexandria and wished Grandpa Don a happy birthday! We had a good little visit.

We continue to wait for April 12 ... the due date of our baby boy! I'm still feeling good, although sleeping has become somewhat of a challenge. We are enjoying our birthing classes on Thursday evenings. It's fun to "fit in" with the other ladies there. I don't seem to feel so huge!

Gert & Foy Blackstone & family in 1964.

Back row, left to right: Wesley, Jim, Ardis, Linda, Peggy, Dennis; front row: Gert, holding Stacy; Melanie; Foy, holding Lisa; Genelle.

UPDATE -- Introduction to Gert (Dake) Pettit
by Gertrude Shirley Pettit
Howard Lake, MN

The adage "better late than never" comes to my mind as I send greetings to all subscribers of The Bulletin.

I am the "baby" of the Bill and Amy Dake family. I was born on the day Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected to be president of our great country, so if you remember what year that was, you can figure out how old I am. It was also during the Great Depression. Mom told me I had no shoes until I was two years old and she had an old felt hat which she cut up and made a pair for me. That's probably why I still, to this day, like to go barefoot.

I believe that a good description of me was "tomboy." Face it, why go in the front door of the corn crib when you can crawl up the back and then jump down through the opening at the top? Or why go in the normal cow barn door when you can crawl over the feed room roof and into the haymow and then climb down to the inside of the cow barn?

Of course I spent many hours up in the haymow finding and taming the baby kittens. Trees were made to climb, the hill at the line fence was put there to ski on and the big pond in the middle of the cow pasture was made to skate on. LeRoy and I dug lots of caves in the deep snowdrifts. And we had the just-as-warm snowmobile boots then as the kids have now, just not made quite the same. We wore our heavy socks and shoes, wrapped in newspaper, inside our rubber boots.

My mom liked her flower garden, her vegetable garden and her chickens, but wasn't keen on the barn or tractor work, so when my big brother graduated and left home, I became Daddy's helper.

I would do morning milking while he got the tractor ready for the field work. We would go in for breakfast; then I would hurry back out to the barn before Dad got there, because I liked to clean the barn with the old fashioned manure bucket on a cable that you pushed in and out of the barn.

Fall harvest was always eagerly awaited, because my growing up buddy, Roger Wrobbel, and I would always fight over who got to drive the tractor and wagon or the old truck filled with grain up to the granary to be emptied. There was one farm job my dad would never let me do and that was mowing hay. I think the California Tom Miller could relate about that job. I loved to tractor cultivate the corn. Once in a while my mind would wander; then I would have to stop and replant a hill or two.

Now I am just a LITTLE older, but still have the same feeling for the same things. I just have two cats, a big golden Lab, five parakeets, five fish, plus all the wild birds and animals I feed and watch. Driving my Craftsman power mower is about like driving the Ford tractor that my Dad owned.

I spent 23 years as a molding specialist, and at my retirement age, the company moved to Minneapolis. So then I spent two years doing a craft job.

For the past two years I have been working as a housekeeper at the Cokato Manor Nursing Home. I enjoy the job very much. It's great to be able to talk to the people living at the home, but not be responsible for their daily care, because I just don't have that nursing capability! I just thank God that at this age I am still able to work and still enjoy the beauty of nature.

This isn't an elegantly written synopsis of my life, but it should let all know how glad I am to have been born and raised a "farm girl." And especially by the great Dad and Mom we had. (Although I did inform my mother she shouldn't have let Grandma Mellon name me, because just guess who called me "Gravel" for a nickname -- just one hint: it was an in-law.)

I have been a mother to 12 children and have 30 grandchildren and have 14 great grandchildren and I LOVE THEM ALL. Don and I have been married for 15 years, and I am also called Grandma Gert by his nine grandchildren and he has one newborn great grandchild.

Gert Dake Pettit & all 12 children, 4th of July picnic, 2004

Stacy Blackstone (who we lost at age 13) in the heart-shaped insert in the branches of the tree; back row, left to right: Lisa Boltz, Melanie Lehtola, Gert (Dake) Pettit, Genelle Mogck, Linda Knutson, Ardis Quick, Peggy McNeill; front row: Marvin Gordon, Jim Blackstone, Wes Sigman, Dennis Blackstone, Justin Blackstone.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna M. Johnson
Tournament team: back, L to R: Jamie Olson, Shawn Ostendorf, Kelly Olson, Wyatt Johnson; front: Chris Chap, Todd Finkelson, Weston Johnson, Mark Johnson.

Busy Weekend in Ashby

We had a busy weekend, with the guys home to play in basketball tournaments in Ashby, and also to help us with some of the things needing to be moved, purged, sorted, thrown, or divided from Becky's townhome. All of the guys helped with the bigger items, removing the washer and dryer completely and putting the heavy things from the other two levels into the main level ... to be removed when we decide where they will go.

After lunch, Lori, Shawn, Beaver and I went in and finished up the basement, which was a big job. Chris took the kids sledding, to keep them busy and out of the way. More hands certainly do make a job less tiresome and move it along more quickly!

Must say it's very nice to have that much done! So, thanks to all of you that helped! (Melanie and Linda helped pack at different times, so thanks to them, too!) We have a garage full of things that were supposed to be for a garage sale; much of that will go to Brandon to the auction house. Beginning to feel as though there is an end in sight and we will possibly manage getting it finished by the end of March.

Photo © Donna M. Johnson
Kathie Behrens drove up from Madison, Minnesota, Sunday afternoon, to pick up her share of pork. We got in a marvelous visit while she was here.

Dispatch from Logan Airport Hilton Hotel, Boston, MA

Yes, this is fun! Jayce is watching me, although he should be in bed ... so just sent him off. He went swimming with Beaver and had a blast. Now he's showered and nebulized [medicated with a mist], has eaten his bedtime snack and brushed his teeth, and is waiting for me to tuck him in.

Beaver just commented, "These phones are smart enough to adjust the time!" :-)

Might rain some tomorrow ... possibly afternoon. I brought three umbrellas, just in case. But we should be able to spend most of the time in museums ... as there are lots of neat sounding things to do ... children's, shipyard, aquarium. Won't be able to get to even a portion of things, just in this area alone.

Well, off to tuck Jayce into bed...

NICE beds, down comforters, down pillows ... four on each bed, bolster pillows ... very comfy! Nice to be in a four star place for less than a three star price! I wouldn't have had to pack one of my down pillows to bring along ... but I've spent miserable nights many times on rotten hotel pillows. Lori gave me grief on how much luggage we have, but I doubt I'll ever learn to pack light! :-) Which makes it even more fortunate that we didn't have to haul it all too far.

He's waiting ... so all for now.

Editor's Note: Beaver and Donna accompanied Jayce to Boston for a medical study.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Don at Country Kitchen breakfast, left; birthday cake, right.

Don Celebrates 79th Birthday

In our city, on your birthday, you are really given lots of attention. At the Country Kitchen, you are treated to a free meal and a sundae. At The Depot supper club, your dinner bill is reduced in price by the same number of percentage points as your age. Now there may be more places that honor birthday celebrators, but the two mentioned are the ones we knew about, and took advantage of.

On Friday, the third of March, we celebrated Don's 79th birthday. We had laid our plans well -- and things worked out very nicely, indeed.

First, we had our breakfast at Country Kitchen. It was very tasty, especially because someone else prepared it. Don had French toast, while I had an egg and toast. We enjoyed chatting with the waitress, who said she would refrain from singing and just wish Don a "Happy Birthday." Don wasn't really set to enjoy the sundae, so he passed that up!

Because we were having evening (and overnight) guests, we decided to hit The Depot just as soon as they opened, in the early evening. It is an interesting eating place, as it is the remodeled depot that once served the city. It is no longer needed, as that section of the railroad has been closed and a path made on the bed of the tracks. So about 25 years ago, someone decided to make a supper club of the depot. (For myself, I thought it was rather gloomy and smelled old ... but the food was great.) And with the way they figure the discount, we may go back for my birthday, for an even larger one!

We had planned and unplanned guests for cake, pastries and coffee or apple juice, in the evening. Everyone arrived on time, bearing various things to eat or use, and the evening went quickly. I was busy visiting when someone said, "Grandma, look who's here!"

Well, what a surprise! Ben and Heather -- the soon to be parents (who, if things go as planned, will soon present us with another great grandson). It was so nice for them to stop on their way to Fargo and to bring their best wishes to their grandpa.

Grandpa Don had a great day!

Don cuts birthday cake, left; cards & cakes, right.

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Would the darling little girl be Auntie Gert, by any chance? And the other is Gert's son, my cousin, Marvin or "Marv" [Gordon].

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

Editor's comment: That is a different generation than my sister -- but, of course, Marv is correct!

I am sure I'm waaay off, but could the Guess picture be Dorothy? And the fellow in the blue shirt looks like he just might be a Henderson relation. OK, so I AM way off. It is really fun seeing the Guess pictures. Hope you never run out of them to run.

Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Well, doncha know ... when it comes to guessing the first picture last week, it's like I read in the Tao Te Ching: "Those who know do not speak, and those who speak do not know." Well, I sneaked a peek at the caption when the picture of that sweet little girl came into the Alaska office of The Bulletin and I'm gonna tattle: it's Ginny Dake McCorkell, also known as "Bitzi" ... and "Ditto"! I've never met Miss Ginny ... but I can tell from her smile that she would be lots of fun to play with!

Miss Kitty =^..^=
Anchorage, AK

LTD Storybrooke

by Larry Dake

When Checker and I came in after foot-bathing the fifty lame ewes, Sarah was fixing herself some noodles for a bedtime snack. Sherry had my supper waiting.

Checker had flopped down on his bed in the mud room, while I'd pulled off my muddy boots. A mud room it was! January had given us a little rain and snow, and a lot of freezing and thawing weather. Soon after the sun would come up, the ground would thaw, and there would be mud everywhere.

Two of our brother workers (our ministers) had been on their way out to see us that week, during their winter special meeting rounds. They got about five miles off the highway, on the county road we called our driveway. At that point the road became impassable from the mud. The borrowed sedan they were driving bogged down, and they could go no farther.

No doubt they felt very stranded! They were nine miles from our house and they hadn't seen any dwellings for many, many miles coming.

We didn't have phone service, so they hadn't been able to let us know ahead of time exactly when to expect them. Traffic on the highway was sparse, and on this county road where they were now stuck, several days might pass without anyone driving by. They could hardly walk, as there was nowhere within walking distance.

And they knew the winter nights were cold here in the high desert.

But, it wasn't long, and an attractive young cowgirl in a muddy, four-wheel drive pickup came speeding down the road toward them. Slowing slightly, she veered into the ditch and went on around their stranded car.

Then, swinging back onto the roadway, she stopped. No doubt she was curious to learn who these suit-and-tie strangers were. And what are they doing out in this desolate place, anyway?

The brother workers did a little explaining, and she offered them a ride on in to our house.

After the hair-raising, nine-mile ride, the workers landed on our doorstep with muddy shoes, socks, and trousers. The cowgirl, who was one of our ranch's employees, sped off to her home at the cattle feedlot. She and her husband lived about a mile farther in from the highway than we were.

Coming into our mud room, the workers pulled off their shoes and socks.

When I learned of our arrivals, and their predicament, I borrowed a tractor from the feedlot. With one of the workers riding in the John Deere with me, we drove the roughly ten miles back out to the car and pulled it out of the mud. In the process, the exhaust system became lodged in the mud and fell off.

We left the car on some high ground near the highway, with the muddy muffler, catalytic converter, and tail pipes all stowed in the trunk. With their suitcases in the tractor cab, we drove back home, arriving after dark. They laundered their clothes and cleaned their shoes. We had a good supper and a nice visit.

In the morning, after a Bible study, I brought them back out to their borrowed car. After saying our goodbyes, they roared off to town. We learned later that with help from some of our friends in town, they were able to replace the exhaust system, using the pieces in the trunk.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Ruth (Miller) Collings, one of our father's first cousins, gave me a copy of a 12-page manuscript her father had written in 1960 of his growing up years (1890s) near Ashby, Minnesota. This is another excerpt. Words in square brackets were added by me. --Jerrianne

On November 1, 1960, our great uncle Edward W. Miller wrote:

by Edward W. Miller
Ontario, CA

One of our nearest neighbors was an Irish family by the name of Bowman. Other than the Bowman family, we were surrounded by Scandinavians, with one exception: Joe Marcott, a Frenchman, who had married a Norwegian woman and had a very large family.

Joe had never gone to school of any kind in his life. He could neither read nor write but had learned to sign his signature. Someone had made him a copy of it, and he had practiced until he could do a pretty fair job of it.

Joe was not much of a farmer but made up for this in other ways. He was handy with tools and was a good carpenter, so his services were always in demand throughout the whole neighborhood.

The Scandinavians who came over from the old country brought  practically nothing more than a willingness for hard work. They were all very industrious. The first thing they did was to homestead a piece of land, building some sort of a home on it and clearing off the timber, little by little, so that it could be planted to a crop. Wheat was usually the first crop, as that was usually easy to convert into the much needed cash.

The house was sometimes built of logs. Oftentimes, it was nothing more than a so-called dugout, made by digging back into a hill and using any available material for sides and roof. There was one door and perhaps a small window in the front. Sometimes the bare ground would be the floor, and the roof would be covered with sod. It would have to do until a real log house could be built. Those who lived in a dugout for a time often got what was called consumption [pulmonary tuberculosis: "TB"] and died. The first shelters for the farm animals were built in much the same way.

As the settlers prospered, they built better buildings of either logs or lumber, and that was where Joe Marcott was in demand, especially when it came to putting up the barn. A stone foundation was built first. Then the frame for the four sides would be laid out and put together, flat on the ground. It would be built of the native timber that had been hand hewed and squared, then fitted and fastened together with wooden pegs.

When all four sides were completed, there would be a barn raising. Anywhere from 25 to 50 or more men -- depending on the size of the structure -- would be called on from the surrounding neighborhood to help. No one ever got paid more than the big feed provided by the women.

There was nothing in the way of equipment, and the whole thing had to be done by hand, under the supervision of Joe Marcott. As the sides were raised on the stone foundation, the corners were also secured by wooden pins, which were usually 1-1/2 inches in diameter. The holes to receive the pins had to be bored with a hand auger.

The raising always had to be completed in one day, and so sometimes lasted from early morning until late at night. The log houses were usually built log by log and did not need so many men at one time.

Travelogue t

Greg Dake and Sonja Maness left Raleigh, North Carolina, for Shanghai, China, on January 6th and returned January 28th. It was a business trip for Greg and Sonja went along. They took extra time for sightseeing while they were there.

Pudong skyline at sunset, Shanghai, China.

Shanghai Is An Oxymoron...
(posted by Greg)

Shanghai is a wonderful city, Shanghai is a terrible city
Shanghai is an oxymoron trapped in a city.
Shanghai is the crossroads between China and the rest of the world
Shanghai is China's most international city.
Shanghai is a temple, a monument to Capitalism in its purest forms
Shanghai has the most fantastic amount of culture from all parts of the world
Shanghai is the richest city in China
Shanghai is a city of truly wealthy people and everything they bring
Shanghai is a city of:
Buddhist temples,
Gothic Cathedrals
Multiple giant markets that have up 100,000 visitors a day, each
Perfectly preserved colonial French districts
Ancient Chinese historical districts
Massive monuments to Communist development
Forests of modern 20, 30+ story apartment buildings
Shanghai is a city with 12.5 Million regular residents
Shanghai is a city with 4.5 Million registered transients and temporary people.
Shanghai is a city where literate people can read English but can't speak or understand it spoken
Shanghai city of poor and destitute people
Shanghai is a city where lucky people live in small apartments
Shanghai is a city where unlucky people live in smaller, half demolished apartments
Shanghai is an incredibly crowded city, unbelievable to a westerner
Shanghai is a city where you never see the sun
Shanghai is a city where cab drivers think any lane including the sidewalk and oncoming lanes are legal to drive in
Shanghai is a city where you can only talk to a handful of people out of 17 million
Shanghai is a wonderful city
Shanghai is a terrible city
Shanghai is an oxymoron trapped in a city.

Strange Fruit & Wasabi-Covered Peanuts
(posted by Sonja)

No rain today. Foggy and windy but no rain. So if we'd wanted a taxi we could've had one. So of course we didn't want one.

Greg worked from the hotel room today as he was getting a cold and didn't have much to do on site anyway. He worked, I played WoW and did research on what day-trip to do this weekend. We went out for lunch (at Pizza Hut again; had pizza this time and not chowder, as it may have been the chowder that upset my stomach the other day, not sure) and then another trip to the infamous Carrefours. This time we solved the mystery of Carrefours! We found the secret entrance, a/k/a the down escalators! They hid them behind a wall which looked like a dead end with no English signs.

Downstairs, there was a grocery store with any kind of groceries you could want. More fish than you can shake a jellyfish leg or BBQ chicken foot at! Live fish and dead fish and frozen fish and fish in dumplings and more. We didn't buy fish, though. We bought orange juice, Ritter Sport (German Chocolate), Chinese trail mix, m&m's and wasabi-covered peanuts, in disguise as normal peanuts with green coatings. We had NO IDEA they were wasabi peanuts and, of course, *I* was the one to take the first bite. Whoooooo. Hot. Unexpectedly hot.

We bought me a hat, red with a Chinese symbol. We looked around for silk long underwear but only found wool and lycra ones. We found wooden combs for cheap, cheap, cheap, which I was glad to see. We bought one of each kind they had, one for 10RMB and one for 8RMB. That's a dollar each USD, or so. I pay at least $10 for those back home, so I was hoping for a cheap source of them here. Thinking of trying to contact the manufacturer and importing them for resale, because I know from personal experience how hard they are to find in the states.

Will finish this later; we're headed out for food again.

Addendum: .... We had a plate of fruit given to us because the rice that came with my meal was like a small, round brick. The waitress came around after she had taken my plate and apologized for it being so bad and offered us dessert for free. The dessert was a fruit plate with peeled, sliced orange sections, apple, watermelon, muskmelon, and some kind of white fruit with lots of tiny seeds in it. It was good, tasted a little like kiwi fruit. We didn't know what it was, so we asked the waitress and she said dragon fruit. I'd seen some very strange fruit in the Club Lounge and asked what it was (there, it was whole). It looked something like a pineapple with a lot less spikes. That was whole dragon fruit.

Lunch & Weird Firewalls
(posted by Greg)

Ever eaten rice, angel hair pasta soup with chop-stix?

China has weird firewalls. If you access a site they block your IP completely for three minutes.

That doesn't really explain why I can edit and post to the blog from work, but I can't see it. They must be blocking, but not If I had gone to that much trouble, I think I would have just blocked both. :)

to be continued...

Greg, wasabi-covered peanuts; Chinese mitten crab (on Tuesday menu?)

Photo Editor's Note: We are serializing Sonja and Greg's web log and illustrating it with the photos they are posting, but there is far more photo material available than we will be able to fit in The Bulletin, so we will also provide the links to the blog, for those who are interested:

Web Log:

Skinny Recipes  6
from Donald L. Anderson
Isanti, MN

This is an original recipe that I came up with to celebrate Eric's birthday, in place of cake. It is very simple, fast and satisfying. Feel free to change the fruit to other choices. Be creative. (I'm going to try bananas and chocolate next time.) Send questions and comments to Enjoy! --Don Jr.

Twin Berry Crunch Parfait
An easy dessert that tastes naughty, but isn't!
4 servings at 2 W.W. points per serving (125 calories); .5g fiber; .25 g fat.

1 cup Kashi or your favorite high fiber cereal, crushed
4 oz. vanilla yogurt, non-fat, artificial sweetner
4 oz. non-fat cream cheese, softened in microwave and sweetened with 1 tsp. Splenda
1 cup strawberries, sliced, sweetened with Splenda to taste
1 cup blackberries or raspberries
1 cup non-fat whipped cream (Redi-Whip)

1. Put berries in two separate bowls.
2. Mix half of the yogurt with each bowl of berries, stirring and coating the berries.
3. Assemble parfaits in clear 12-oz. glasses (4).
4. Alternate layers of ingredients, berries/yogurt, cream cheese, Kashi crunch, etc..
5. Top with whipped cream and enjoy.

Photo ©Donald L. Anderson
Twin Berry Crunch Parfait

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days
March 17---St. Patrick's Day

This Week's Birthdays
March 12---Jolene Johnson
March 18---Janie Anderson
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries

March 14---Brian and Melanie Birkholz Lehtola (4 years)
March 15---Dan and Gina Henderson (1 year)

More March Birthdays
March 1---Betty Weiland Droel
March 2---Tom W. Miller (MN)
March 3---Donald W. Anderson

March 6---Jerrianne Lowther
March 11---Kjirsten Swenson

March 21---Rachel Henderson
March 23---Colette Huseby
March 28---Donna Anderson Johnson
March 31---Linda Knutson

March Anniversaries
March 3---Mike and Kelley Seaman (5 years)
March 3---Greg & Sonja Maness Dake (next year)

March 26---Stanley and Janice Dake (36 years)

March Special Days
March 17---St. Patrick's Day
March 20---First Day of Spring

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Photo ©Jerrianne Lowther
Miss Kitty checks out Miss Jerrianne's birthday bouquet.

Miss Kathlyn presented Miss Jerrianne with a lovely bouquet for her birthday and I figured I'd better check it out. I always wondered what I would look like with tabby stripes and now I know! Bright sunshine, reflecting off the snow in the back yard and streaming through the venetian blinds, is so very welcome after a long, dark winter! I feel like I'm a prisoner in the house this time of year and I even look like a prisoner in tabby stripes! I'm really looking forward to spring. --Miss Kitty =^..^=

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for Larry Dake: what is the incidence of black lambs? I drive by a flock of sheep and I see two darling black lambs were just born. Are they born to white ewes? I have heard that the shepherd uses one of them for each 100 sheep. Fact or fiction?

Rich Johnson
Long Lake, MN

I am dropping you a note to tell you that my Aunt Diana Martin has been hospitalized for the last couple days. She has had severe abdominal pain and the doctor suspects Crohn's disease. If surgery becomes necessary, she's hoping to put it off for a while.

The good news was that the doctor seems sure that she does not have cancer. She expects to be released by the end of the week and will be staying with one of her daughters in Minneapolis for a couple days. Her children and grandchildren are nearby, and are a huge comfort to her.

I spoke with her this evening (Tuesday) and she sounds in very good spirits. She's a dear lady and I hope your readers will include a small prayer for her.

Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Here is the photo I promised. That's the little stool Dad made (load tested up to 300 lbs.!). It is set next to the table I made for Patty in our newly designated dinette area. The two little kitchen chairs we picked up at an antique shop in Wisconsin, on our way down to Zach's Navy graduation.

The table is made out of an old round dinner table we had. I took it apart and cut it down to fit our small space. Then I built the top and drop leaves out of some of the 100-year-old barn boards we had left over from our flooring project. So you see, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Donnie Anderson
Isanti, MN

Donnie's & Patty's new dinette furnishings

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

Finally, the long awaited for Bulletin arrived, right on time, and I could not wait to read it. I knew it would be another "good" one, and it was. It is so strange how we can't seem to get The Bulletin fast enough when Saturday actually arrives. It seems to have a certain schedule, though, and that is very good. Very dependable, very predictable! We like that.

I knew the first picture was not Bitzi's this time. No pink and purple -- it seems that first picture sets the tone for the whole issue. This time it was an imported one, clear from the Netherlands. Now what Bulletin but ours would ever have that honor? It looked like someone was having a great time. I recognized some musical instruments, and some characters that are sure to thrill young and old, waving from the float. Very pitched roofs in the background. Maybe to shed the snow. Thanks for that, Frans. We loved all the pictures you sent to go along with your story. It looked cold, but that didn't stop the fun.

Then there was that unforgettable recount of the birthday for the aged subscriber -- 76 means it's all downhill from here. My dear mother made it to 100, but it's for sure I won't! Thank you so very much for all the attention you gave to the birthday celebration, and all the space to include the pictures. I really value that, and it is a keepsake copy, for sure. Just today, I had to toss the tulips that Krista had given me.

Heidi, we are waiting for those pictures you promised us of your skiing trip to Durango. Hope you found enough snow to make it worth the trip, and that you did get to Angel Fire.

Now that's the kind of friends to have. Sneaky ones like Myrna, who picked up the tab. Looks like it would have been a huge one for that table full of happy people. That little Emma was so cute, sleeping on her daddy's shoulder.

I noticed when Roy read The Bulletin that he paged through like he was skimming it, practically, but when he got to the LTD Storybrooke's "Home Alone" story, he said, "Oh, here it is," and read it slowly, word for word. He just looks forward to that each week, and we both miss it when Larry is too busy or too tired or too uninspired or too occupied to take time to write one. I must say that I couldn't picture Larry being as aggressive with the sheep as he said he was, but then I know I would have just walked off for good long ago, so we have to give him a lot of credit to be a "stayer."

I really enjoyed the "Life On The Farm," by Edward Miller. I read it with great interest, and it would have meant a lot of research to locate all that information for us. It was sad to think of the smaller mills being replaced, but that is this way of life, isn't it? It was especially interesting, being it was about relation to some dear friends I know.

The Travelogue held our attention this week, too -- you'd think we would be familiar with it all by this time, but it just keeps getting more and more exciting, as Greg and Sonja face the unfamiliar so square and brave, even to strange areas and even stranger foods. We also check out the links, which make it even more realistic.

The fierce Bengal cat would have been glad to take on the troll, so Doug, don't you worry, you won't have to tackle that old fellow all by yourself. You have friends, and we hope we are two of them. Don and Dorothy's family have become our family.

I could not even believe that I forgot Jerrianne's birthday. Imagine! The photo editor, and we totally let her birthday slip right by. I am so ashamed and sorry. BUT, that ain't all ... I still have to remember Don's, I think, or did I send you a card, Don? I am hopelessly forgetful. That comes with age, and I am getting old and older.

I was thrilled to see Tom Miller (MN) wrote something. He is such an extremely busy man that even that much was quite an accomplishment for him to send out. I think I told you before that when he fell down on the frozen driveway on his way to school one day he gashed his knee, and that I helped rush him to emergency to stop the bleeding. I was already in my 30's, but now it hardly seems there is that much difference in our age.

Doesn't sound like Diana has gotten her home sold yet, from the sound of her LTTE.

Well, I have hardly stopped spinning since seeing Jack Adair writing a letter in The Bulletin. He (as Larry, too) are so quiet appearing to us, that I couldn't believe he actually wrote that. I thought I was acquainted with him, and with Ginny, but I learned something from his letter, and that is, he goes by Captain Jack Adair. I would so love to hear him play his guitar and sing, but we never get to. It is so beautiful, and he writes songs, too ... hope he does elaborate more in future issues.

I am prone to skin cancer on my nose, too, and am just paranoid about being out in the sun unprotected. So, it was very informative to read of the skin graft in Texas.

I knew Grandpa Ernie Dake when he was just a little older than Carrie Horne is now.

We need an update from Miss Kitty pretty soon. Mostly about the new fridge that moved into the Lowther home ... refrigerators in Alaska -- a winning story.

This is going to have to be edited and a lot deleted, I'm afraid, to ever fit into the LTTE section of The Bulletin. Thank you again for letting us be subscribers, and for all you do to keep us coming back for more. We appreciate all your hours of work and dedication to never let it get ho hum or hum drum or ordinary.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell
Tried Michael Steinhauer's remedy for cabin fever & winter blues?

Click here to find out Who's Who in The Bulletin 1

Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions in the searchable web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Quotation for the day: Life is like a cup of tea; it's all in how you make it! --Irish Proverb

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where