The Bulletin
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

pretty cool vegetables!
Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
Rainbow Chard

Updates -

Family Update -- the California Johnsons
by Dorothy and Don Anderson
Alexandria, MN

We just got off the phone with Marlene and thought many of you might be interested in the events discussed...

They had gotten a call at about 3:30 Wednesday afternoon from Rich's sister Sue (Mark's been staying with them) that Mark had just been bucked off a horse and had broken his arms ... yes, plural. The orthopedic surgeon had called and said they'd have to put him under general anesthesia to set his arms and that he hoped there wouldn't be any need for surgery with pins and such.

Good thing he was right. Mark has two temporary casts on at present to allow for swelling. In about a week they'll put different ones on, so he has to stay up there until that is done. It is probable that Mark will return to the Los Angeles area using the return of his airline ticket ... then, when the time comes for the doctor's check-up appointment, the 14-hour trip to Yreka will be part of the trip which Marlene will make to return to Minnesota.

Mark was really enjoying the horses until he got bucked off. Marlene said he sounded pretty good and upbeat on the phone: "Mom, it's just a couple of broken bones." Though Sue said he was about to pass out when he came in the house to tell her.

The horse's name is Snort and it bucked his cousin Bronson off about a month ago and broke his arm, so I guess he was forewarned. Sue has mentioned that he is good on the horses ... but it sounds like he was probably a bit over confident.

Both kids got their school books delivered via UPS this week and school starts the 5th of September. Marlene and the kids head back to Minnesota sometime after that ... depending on doctor appointments. Kim will fly back this Saturday and move into the apartment in Fargo with Rachel August 28th. It sounds like Marlene, Whitney and Mark will stay here in Minnesota for a month or so. No definite plans are made yet.

Photo © Janie Anderson
The Berndt cousins, Cleo's Children: Dwight Anderson, Mavis Anderson Morgan, DeLoris Anderson, Elaine Anderson Wold, and Don Anderson; Irby Berndt's son, Delwood Berndt, and Lollie Berndt Grob's daughter, Sandy Thiele.

Update -- Berndt cousins' annual reunion
by Elaine Anderson Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Sunday, August 19, was overcast with a gentle misting rain; it was a day for sweaters and jackets in the autumn breeze. However, it didn't dampen the spirits of those gathered for the third Berndt cousins' reunion at the farmyard of our grandparents.

There was a feeling of exceptional exuberance at the heartwarming annual observance. Again, Cousin Sandy and Larry Thiele were the gracious and generous host and hostess. There were seven cousins and spouses able to attend this year's reunion.

A large canopy covered the tables and chairs on the front lawn. Several more tables overflowed with the abundance of sandwiches, salads, hot dishes, and desserts. The setting was serene and beautiful with the spacious lawn neatly mowed, the buildings all nicely maintained, the blooming flowers in the garden, and the prancing ponies in the pasture fence.

"Delicious eating," a Berndt tradition: Larry Thiele (Sandy's husband), Shirley Berndt (Delwood's wife), DeLoris Anderson (middle daughter of Cleo), Mavis Anderson Morgan (youngest daughter of Cleo).

The entertainment for the afternoon was both serious and humorous as various cousins told of their many memories of the farmsite and of our grandparents and our parents who grew up there. Some cousins brought older pictures to identify. Others brought some photos of their families during the past year. Some updated the Blue Berndt History book, as births and deaths, marriages, and addresses of family members change. Booklets from the past two reunions were shared by all.

The rain and wet grass prevented us walking through Sandy's bounteous garden, or to the dam on the river where we waded and fished. Also we did not tour, but we talked about, the Lubenow Cemetery, east of the farmsite along the Wild Rice River, where the first family members were buried.

It is now over 100 years since our grandparents were married and established this farmsite. They endured many hardships and sorrows, as well as many joys in life.

Photos © Janie Anderson
Delwood & Shirley Berndt, left; hosts Sandy & Larry Thiele, right.

The Thieles again extended an invitation to gather together next August. We hope more are able to attend then. Cousin Carol was remembered, as she passed away during the past year.

After a memorable afternoon, as we left for our own homes, we all sensed again a greater appreciation for those who played such a great part in our lives. Although they are gone, we shall continue the memories and cherish these special days we can have together.

Photo © Janie Anderson
Back row: Dwight & Janie Anderson, Mavis & Tom Morgan, Don Anderson; front row: DeLoris Anderson, Elaine Wold, Dorothy Anderson.

Photos © Brenda Hill
Jazmine Hill takes second place in pedal tractor pull; wins trophy, right.

Update -- Jazmine enters a tractor pull
by Brenda Anderson Hill
Dwight, ND

Jazmine, 4, entered her first tractor pull this afternoon at the Wilkin County Fair in Breckenridge, Minnesota. Despite the mist and wet conditions, she had a good pull and got her can of pop for participating. She was thrilled! Then they called her back up to get her second place trophy, which also qualified her to go on to state. She was extremely excited and has told us she would do it again! Thanks, Coach Grandpa Dwight.

Photo © Wyatt Johnson
Camryn Lucille Johnson

Update -- introducing Camryn Lucille Johnson
by Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

Camryn Lucille was born at 1:03 a.m. on Wednesday, August 22, 2007. She’s 6 pounds, 13 ounces, 19 inches long.

She and Jolene are both doing great; I'm a little tired, since the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Rylie and Brooklynn spent the night with Uncle Chris Chap, who came over around 10:30 p.m. They're at daycare right now, but I'm heading over to pick them up this afternoon so they can meet their new sister.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna Johnson
Great Grandma Dorothy, Jayce, Caity and Great Grandpa Don.

Caity, Jayce and I enjoyed celebrating Dad and Mom's 57th anniversary with them, although I'm not sure it was fair that Dad treated! We did have a good time and enjoyed our meal together.

Ashley mentioned that she would come and help clean out the garage with us, making room for my van for the winter. We'd been putting things out there for some time, hoping to have a garage sale, but as we are running out of summer, opted to send it to Brandon for an auction sale instead. It's great to have an accessible, clean garage again!

I sorted and directed while the rest did the more physical tasks ... and there were plenty! It took us quite a few hours to get it accomplished and it's wonderful to have one more GIGANTIC job off my check list!

We used the bookshelves I'd thought about selling, but after realizing they were probably too beat up to get much of anything for them, we kept them for our selection of games.

Photo © Donna Johnson
My hard working crew: Linda Knutson, Jayce Chap, Ashley Torgrimson (holding little Bailey -- not part of the crew; she was just visiting at Becky's). Becky and her friend Cathy helped for a while, too, but opted out of the photo. (Caity helped by watching Bailey.)

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Mavis Morgan and Kristi Larson Indermark supplied last week's mystery pictures.

How many can you identify?

The cute little girl on the right is none other than my cousin, Shari Larson. She looks about 5, but I'm not sure.

I haven't seen the two little baby girls in the rocker, but will make a guess. Is the one on the right Ardis? She was such a cute baby also.

Judy Riesenberg
Great Falls, MT

I am at a loss for identification this week and only the pretty gal on the right looks like it could be Sharon Miller Larson.

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

I didn't have a problem guessing Sharon Miller in the Guess pictures; in fact, that was when I knew her best, as a very sweet little fun girl. The other two are for sure Don and Dorothy's girls. Marlene and Patty?

I have a suggestion for our Editor. It would be helpful if you would print a very small picture of the previous week's guess picture WITH THE CORRECT NAMES UNDERNEATH for us. I know you can click to review the pictures, but still you are left wondering just who they really were. Or am I missing something here?

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Editors' Note: Correct guesses always appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type ... but it gets trickier with guesses that are half right. You're right about Sharon Miller (Shari Larson), but about half right on the other photo. Merna Morgan (Hellevang), at left in that photo, is Don and Dorothy's niece and Marlene Anderson (Johnson), at right, is Don and Dorothy's daughter. Patty Anderson isn't in that picture.

LTD Storybrooke

Strip, Dip and Clip
by Larry Dake

The bleeding had scarcely stopped in the wounds of the newly wethered lambs. Sherry was poking and prodding the sizzling "oysters" around our cast-iron frying pan. When they rolled, hot and steaming onto our plates, we discovered them to be a special treat worthy of their "Rocky Mountain" moniker.

The "marking" of lambs would now be central to my daily tasks. An eager-eyed Checker would be the delighted beneficiary, following me around the lambing shed and consuming the procured delicacies as they fell.

The southeast door to the shed flew open. Domingo burst in with a pair of lambs -- suspended, head down -- one in each hand, like chickens on their way to slaughter. As he hurried down the aisle, he mimicked the panicked bleat of a lamb. "Naa-a! Naa-a! Naa-aa!" This was an attempt to decoy the lamb's confused mother into the shed.

José, one of the Mexican cowboys, recruited for the lambing season, grasped the ewe by the wool on her rump and shoulders and shoved her through the doorway.

Neck arched and head held high, a defensive posture, she trotted down between the rows of four-by-four jugs already occupied by captive ewes and their lambs. Not recognizing her inverted babies, whose noses were nearly dragging on the ground, she stomped a front foot at Domingo.

José hissed from behind, "Ssssssss-s! Ssssssss-s! Sssssss-s!"

Panicked, she whirled and bolted for the (now closed) door. Instinctively, she would return to where she had given birth to the lambs. But the door was blocking her path. She busted past José, nearly sending him sprawling in the aisle. At the door she whirled and galloped back down the aisle toward him. As she approached him, she leapt high into the air. He dodged, and stomped after her yelling, "Hey! Hey! Hey!"

Domingo tossed the two lambs headfirst into a freshly strawed jug and stepped behind the gate that I had swung open to block the aisle. Domingo and José pushed the ewe into the jug with her lambs, and we shoved the gate shut. I wired it tight with baling wire. She spun around and around on top of her babies before discovering them lying in the straw beneath her feet.

Outside the lambing shed door, seven more ewes and their lambs waited in the gut-wagon. They would be moved indoors in rapid fire succession. Then Domingo and José would return to the field, pulling the compartmentalized gut-wagon behind the tractor, to gather another eight pairs of ewes and lambs. We were now moving about fifty ewe-and-lamb pairs through the shed each day.

I climbed into the first of the eight newly occupied pens. When describing my duties Jack had said to "Strip, Clip, and Dip."

I "stripped" the waxy plugs from the anxious mother's nipples. This was to make it easier for the lambs to start nursing. At the same time, I could make sure each ewe was producing milk.

Next, I picked up a lamb. Stepping out into the isle, I "clipped" off the extra length of umbilical cord. Waiting for the treat, Checker was underfoot, staring up at my every move. After dropping the severed cord into his mouth, I "dipped" the remaining two inches of it (still attached at the navel), into a strong iodine solution. This was to disinfect it and to hasten the drying up and falling off process.

Pressing the wide-mouthed iodine jar tight against the lamb's belly, I then tipped the lamb back so the iodine could saturate the cord and the navel. The vapor from the iodine opened up my nasal passages. As I righted the lamb, it kicked, and the seal of the jar around the navel broke. A slurp of the potent, yellow liquid spilled directly into Checker's eye. Ouch!

He yelped and ran off.

When I caught up with him, he was pawing desperately at his eye. I dragged him to the water hydrant by the nape of his neck and started flushing out the iodine. He struggled to pull away. Even after a long rinse to remove all the burning chemical, the whole eye was stained an opaque yellow.

It appeared he would be blind in one eye. I was very disappointed at the prospect of a one-eyed sheep dog. Much of a sheep dog's work is done with its eyes.

Travelogue t

Photo © Weston Johnson
Marina, Monterey, California.

Where In The World Is Weston? S
Adventure on the High Seas
Part 5
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

The day after the ATAC fundraiser, I left New York to begin the second leg of my trip. Sindy and I hopped a cab to LaGuardia to catch our flight to San Jose. Since we flew on Northwest Airlines, we had a stopover in Minneapolis, allowing me to set foot on home soil again for a couple of hours.

I spent the time browsing through the Minneapolis airport's shops to find a women's Twins shirt for Sindy. I was not about to allow her to renege on her bet, which meant that she would indeed be wearing Twins' colors in San Francisco after the Twins' dismantling of the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

Our second flight arrived in San Jose early in the evening. We claimed our bags and found our rental car, and soon were on the freeway headed for our hotel, the Mariani's Inn in nearby Santa Clara. We found the hotel without too much trouble and got checked in.

We noticed a restaurant and bar attached to the hotel and decided to check it out, grab a bite to eat and see what sort of night life Santa Clara had to offer on a Friday night. As we entered the restaurant, we were greeted by the sounds of a live polka band, then realized that the median age of the dance floor revelers was pushing triple digits. They were having a great time, but somehow Sindy and I felt out of place, so we settled for dinner at the Applebee's down the street.

On Saturday morning, we set out for Monterey, an hour-and-a-half drive south of Santa Clara. When Sindy and I began planning our west coast trip, we brainstormed ideas for activities to fill the weekend. Sindy mentioned that she would like to visit Monterey, where she lived briefly as a child. I thought that sounded like a great idea, as Monterey is a place I have wanted to visit as well.

While Sindy's motivation for visiting Monterey was to re-acquaint herself with a former home, my interest in the area was piqued by reading several novels by John Steinbeck, who lived in Monterey and used the area as the setting for several books, including one of my favorites, Cannery Row. Cannery Row was set in Monterey in the 1930's, when the city was home to a bustling fish canning industry. The book was vivid in its descriptions of the canneries, the city, the ocean and the beaches, and I looked forward to seeing it all in person.

The weather was warm and sunny as we prepared to leave Santa Clara, but I brought a jacket nonetheless, in case the weather was cooler on the coast. I recommended to Sindy that she bring a jacket too, but she hadn't packed anything that didn't have short sleeves. Oh well, I'm sure it won't be THAT cold, right?

We departed Santa Clara and drove on some moderately treacherous mountain roads before reaching the relatively flat land near the ocean. At this point, we drove through miles of fields, but despite my farm boy experience, I didn't recognize any of the crops as we sped by. Some bore signs identifying them as berry farms. I suspected the others were growing other fruits and vegetables that are only found in grocery stores back home.

As we neared the ocean, the blue skies gave way to a gray, misty haze. By the time we arrived in Monterey, the surrounding hills were obscured by the low lying clouds, and the ocean and sky shared the same gray hue. We stepped out of the car and realized that the temperature was about 20 degrees cooler than it had been back at the hotel. I was glad I had brought my jacket, and wondered how long it would take before Sindy would be begging to borrow it.

We walked toward the ocean, passing a marina in which row after row of sailboats waited for their captains to take them out to sea. Soon, we arrived at Fisherman's Wharf, a large pier that is home to a variety of restaurants and shops offering Monterey themed clothing and trinkets to tourists. On the pier, we noticed a sign advertising whale watching excursions. Neither Sindy nor I had ever been whale watching, so we bought tickets for the next departing tour.

We had some time to kill before our tour would begin. I recommended to Sindy that she visit one of the tourist trap shops on the pier to invest in a warm jacket to protect her from the cold weather during our impending three hour boat tour. She decided against it. OK, I said, but don't come crying to me if you get cold because I'm not giving up MY jacket.

Soon, we were boarding "Magnum Force," the boat that would bring us to our rendezvous with the whales. We departed the dock and motored past the rock sea wall that protects the harbor area from the open water. As we continued to leave Monterey behind, we encountered rolling ocean waves unlike any I had seen on the lakes of Minnesota.

Soon, I began to notice that a lot of my fellow passengers were looking a little green. Some even retreated to the boat's edge, where their previously eaten lunches reappeared as fish bait. Fortunately, my stomach didn't cause me any problems as the boat continued to rise and drop with the surface of the water.

After about 15 minutes on the boat, my prediction came true as Sindy began trying to talk me out of my jacket. I resisted for a while. After all, I had warned her that it would be cold on the water and that I would not be parting with my jacket. However, chivalry eventually got the best of me and I gave up the jacket and retired to the heated cabin, content to watch through the windows as the boat continued to cut through gray waves and the distant shore faded into the fog.

The boat kept motoring along with no whales in sight. But finally, after about an hour of traveling, the tour guide spotted a whale. The boat slowed to a crawl and its passengers crowded to the side on which the whale was spotted. Soon, two whales surfaced about 50 yards from the boat. The guide explained that they were a pair of humpbacks. They surfaced briefly, affording us a view of their backs before they disappeared under the water for a moment, then resurfaced again.

After a couple of these brief appearances, the first whale made one last appearance, finishing with a flare as it raised its huge tail (known as its "flukes") straight up in the air before diving under the water. The second whale copied its partner's motion, also displaying its flukes before disappearing into the water.

For the next hour, the boat continued to follow the pair as they repeated their performance every five minutes or so. I wished I had a better camera, as the whales were far enough away to prevent me from taking any good photos. Between whale appearances, I retreated to the cabin to stay warm and visit with one of the boat's crew members, a jack of all trades responsible for everything from tying the boat to dock to selling snacks and beverages in the cabin.

He educated me on the boat's distance from land (we had traveled seven miles, but had followed along the coast so we were only two miles from land), the depth of the water (we were passing over the Monterey Submarine Canyon, which would dwarf the Grand Canyon were it not covered by as much as 6,000 feet of water), and even shared his review of the Transformers movie (highly recommended due to its excellent special effects and beautiful leading lady).

Eventually, the time came to begin our return to Monterey. Most of the passengers seemed ready to head for shore, as we'd all had ample opportunities to view and photograph the whales, and many of us were cold and/or seasick. We left the humpback pair behind and soon were pulling back up to the dock. Fortunately, Sindy and I would still have several more hours to explore Monterey before we'd have to head back inland.

To be continued...

Photos © Weston Johnson
Whale watching tour boat Magnum Force, left, Weston at sea, right.

Photo © "Capt." Jack Adair
A "small" tidewater glacier -- not Hubbard.

Cruising To Alaska -- Part 3
by Capt Jack Adair {and Rufus}
Coon Rapids, MN

Our next port was Sitka, which was beautiful again. We got off the ship immediately to our tour boat for what was called the "Sea Otter and Wilderness Excursion." No guarantees about seeing wildlife. But, very soon we saw a harbor seal and the navigator got us pretty close. Next, we saw an eagle, high up in the trees, and the guide pointed out the nest right next to it. Still pretty far away for a good picture with my camera, but striking in real life.

As we motored on, we came upon a whole mess of sea otters! There must have been 30-40 of them. Laying around, playing, washing themselves, rolling in the water ... so cool! Chase saw one laying on its back, beating an oyster shell open with a rock! Romaine saw one laying on its back with one arm laying over its eyes. I saw one laying on its back with its hands crossed on its chest, just like the cartoons, I thought.

A few minutes after we left them, our guide announced that we were about to get a treat. The seas were so calm that day that they were able to go out to this rock formation at the edge of the open sea that is usually too rough to go out to, that has a ton of sea lions! I can't even begin to count how many there were. Laying all around on this rock. The boat was rocking pretty good, so some of my pictures are fuzzy, but it was a wonderful sight.

As we left the rock, supposedly heading back to the Sitka port, the guide again announced that we were about to get a rare treat. There were Orcas ahead! The crew was as excited as we were because it's such a rarity. He told us there were about 30 of them! They are magnificent creatures! I took some video of them, too.

We were totally not expecting this on this tour! That made it extra superb! We had wanted to do a whale watching tour in Juneau, but it filled up right away, so we had booked one in Victoria, but after this unexpected treat we cancelled that one. There was no guarantee on that one either, and how could it top this one?

That night was our second formal night and also Baked Alaska night. The waiters paraded around in the dark with sparklers on the dessert before they served it. After dinner, we went into a lounge where they had a pianist, a cellist and a violist playing classical music. We sat down across from THE stuffiest people I've ever seen in my life. They looked totally bored and it just seemed like they weren't there because they enjoyed it, but more because it was the thing to do.

When they began a new song, it started out like a familiar old tune and my Jane and I looked at each other and said, simultaneously, "Chopsticks!" We truly realized then that we were too white trash for this crowd, so we left.

That night they had a magic show that the adults went to. It was a little slow paced for me, but it was good.

I should mention that after a few days of swimming and ping-pong and the weight room, Chase and Larry finally discovered the Loft, where the teenagers hung out. They played a lot of games there and met some other kids. From then on, everywhere we went there were kids coming up to Chase to say hi. The boys went on all the ports with us and to the dinners, but other than that, they were pretty much on their own ... and loving it.

It was a great cruise, especially fun to have Jane and the rest of the family along. I could write about little individual things about the trip, but it would get tremendously long, and I don't wish to bore you.


Tomorrow it's off to Alex for another grandchild's 5th birthday celebration, then Monday I leave for a visit with my sister in Ontario, Canada. Maybe I could write about that when I get back.

Capt Jack {and Rufus}

Photos © "Capt." Jack Adair
Sea lions hauled out on rocks.

By Don Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Don at Dwight, North Dakota: "Boyhood home of Donnie Anderson."

Revisiting Dwight, North Dakota

It is seldom one gets recognition for being still around regarding one's boyhood home town. I was honored to be part of this. I know there are only a handful of people living in Dwight who remember me.

Being born there over 80 years ago brings back many good memories and, of course, bad ones, too. The good memories are always easy to talk about.

My schooling was completed there in 1940; then I began as a farmer, doing general farm duties. We farmed land adjoining the town and we were regarded as "sidewalk farmers." We had a small barn and owned several milk cows, which I took to a pasture in another part of town. In the evening, I herded them back to the "home" pasture and near the little barn in preparation for evening milking.

The fall of 1941, we moved to the farm just north of Dwight. There is another story on that, published several years ago, in Bulletin 42.

Maybe one never knows why a farm boy wants to become a member of a farm labor force. There is something about climbing on a tractor and being in full control. There were long hours of tedious back and forth in the fields for years to come.

Many boys my age were born and raised on farms without running water, hydraulics, tractor cabs, air conditioning and other comforts we take for granted today. Just think how far we have come from those days where drudgery was an everyday accompaniment to most farm tasks.

In early 1941, Dad bought a used 1937 WC, Allis Chalmers tractor and it was to be my tractor. It had a mounted two row cultivator. I did lot of work with it, plowing, cultivating corn, haying and picking corn.

We put up hay with a hay stacker, the hay being "bucked" with a horse drawn sweep rake.

Later, Art Ouren bought the first Allis Chalmers round balers in the country. I was excited when he came to bale for us. No more pitching hay! I wasn't quite so enthusiastic as I looked across a hay field with a few hundred bales waiting for us to pick up. Also, I realized each one of those bales would have to be handled four times before it would be in reach of livestock.

Today's farmers have traded that hard work, manual labor, for the worry and concerns over huge equipment prices, loans and costs of raising crops and livestock.

Earlier, I watched from my window as a farmer here in Alexandria, Minnesota, planted a field of wheat in about two hours. It would have taken me, in my farming days, lots of effort to get it seeded in two days. We would have been bundled up in warm clothing and gloves to sit out in the cold. Now, sitting in a glass enclosed cab with heat and music, it looked like fun.

Here in Alexandria, we are in our second year of drought. The crop on this field was totally destroyed and this year it is well on its way to a total loss, too.

I am satisfied to be out of the farming business. I still have an interest is watching today's farming ventures. Too bad after I know all the answers, no one asks the questions.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
August 26---Donna Richards
August 27---Ashley Torgrimson
August 30---Jessica Myron Gauderman
August 30---Ethan Wallace Horne (5 years)
August 31---Devan Alexander Seaman (5 years)
Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
August 28---Ken and Merna Morgan Hellevang (25 years)
August 30---LeRoy and Vonnie Thomas Dake (59 years)
August 30---Chris and Jennie Dake Horne (10 years)

September Birthdays
September 2---Patty Anderson
September 2---Vicki Anderson
September 2---Stanley Wm. Dake
September 3---Jacob Mendoza Dake
September 3---Eric Printz
September 3---Charles Quick
September 4---Wiley Nelson
September 4---Harvey Stucker
September 5---Lori Chap Ostendorf
September 5---Genelle Mogck
September 7---Brendan Aydelotte (8 years)
September 12---Lindsay Dawn Hellevang
September 14---Lou Miller
September 15---Carolyn Miller Dake
September 15---Shari Miller Larson
September 19---Nathanial Kurtis Seaman
September 21---Jessica Aydelotte
September 24---Wyatt Johnson
September 25---Keith Mason
September 26---Jaxon Dwight Hill (1 year)
September 28---Donald L. Anderson
September 30---Sheldon Swenson

September Anniversaries
September 2---Michael and Sarah Dake Steinhauer (5 years)
September 4---Ernie and Carolyn Miller Dake (36 years)
September 7---Tim and Colette Anderson Huseby (11 years)
September 18---Jay and Sandy Miller Smith (8 years)

September Special Days
September 3---Labor Day
September 23---First day of Autumn

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thank you for the wonderful anniversary card. Shane and I celebrated by going to the batting cages, land shark tour and then to a nice dinner. It was great fun. You can read more about it on our blog. To go to the most recent entry, just go to

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Jayna and Shane Swenson
Santa Barbara, CA

Can't make up your mind if you want to go swimming and work on that tan, go to the State Fair, or just hang with family and friends? Well, why can't you do all three?

Jason Quick is home for a visit, so just stop by for the "Say Hi" party.

Bring your swimsuit and take a dip in the pool.

Have something to eat.

Visit family and friends in the afternoon and then spend the rest of the evening at the fair.

Jason Quick, left; Minnesota State Fair thrills, right.

Saturday, August 25th Noon - 6 p.m.

Charlie and Ardis Quick's

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


I have had a great time clicking on the blue links in The Bulletin. I decided to click on the very eventful trip to Spain that Shane and Jayna had suggested we read for further trip news not room for in The Bulletin.

I thought it looked so interesting that I would hit "print."

To my surprise, it printed 19 pages, and then another 12. I was going to go to my special chair and start reading to get lost in the world of travel to Spain.

But, my black ink cartridge had run out in the middle of the printing, and when I picked up the pages to staple them together there was hardly anything readable. I knew the cartridge was getting low.

After putting in a new cartridge, I decided it looked like something I would want to read, so I just got busy and reprinted it all, using the fast mode print which uses the least amount of ink. Yes, I did get to read this, word for word, picture for picture. And it was worth every moment it took to read it!

Shane and Jayna, thanks for sharing your trip. It must have taken a lot of extra time and energy to keep such a complete diary.

Betty Droel
Moundsview, MN

Again, we always enjoy The Bulletin and our heartfelt thanks for all you do to keep The Bulletin coming each week.

Tom and Lou Miller
Madera, CA

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I think it's really exciting to be picking up the printed copy of The Bulletin with the purpose of commenting via this Letter to the Editors on how Roy and I enjoyed it. It is Sunday afternoon, after a long nap on a rainy, dark, dreary looking day, but that doesn't matter as I sit in the den here at the computer and here goes...

The first picture set the tone to be another beautiful issue, new and different, as it always is. The simple yellow lilies we can all recognize that grow anywhere make for a very colorful eye catcher. They are almost like weeds the way they can grow every year in spite of a lot of care or none at all. We have a bouquet of them on our table right now. They bloom right to the last bud. There is only one tight bud left.

I recall Ryan Hellevang's graduation in a not so long ago Bulletin, and then the engagement. And now the next chapter has begun with Ryan and Jessica making vows. We have had several stories like this of our Bulletin families as they grow up and make the decisions of life.

Ryan's college graduation, left; engagement to Jessica Nelson, right.

Colette, you excelled on Eric's 6th birthday party. He is old enough to not forget this one, and just at the age where he could enjoy it all in innocence and imagination.

What a special surprise to see a family picture of the Rich and Marlene Johnsons with Tom Miller on it. That would have meant a lot to Tom, getting to be with you. An earthquake is frightening, as they are so unpredictable, and you would feel so helpless to protect yourself. It sounds like all was well when it settled down again.

I have thought of Diana Mellon Martin often. I miss mailing her a copy of The Bulletin with just the little touch of friendship that we had. I think of Maralee and wonder how she has managed with her family of dogs and cats. Even at that, she would sincerely miss her mother there in that chair. So now Diana and Russ are together on their anniversary. I hope their home up north did get sold to some caring people.

Oh, what a most beautiful rose, Jerrianne. You do have some of the most perfect rose pictures. I suppose they are protected from people who would like to copy and paste it to a greeting card. I respect that.

Well, that 57th anniversary has come and gone. Sounds like you had just the amount of celebrating that was comfortable for you both at this great age. However, I know two people who will always be young at heart!

LTD Storybrooke -- what a story about Domingo's dogs. I remember reading about those dogs before, and now to hear what did happen was great news, rather than thinking they had been shot.

So now we know how it went for Weston at the fundraiser. Thanks so much for the picture. You would know, of course, how curious we have been to see Sindy, who was delegated to escort Weston in New York. To be continued ... it is always a relief, as we can never get enough of Weston's captivating stories. Clicking on the link provided, it was such a touching memorial and picture of Coni. It made you draw in your breath to be reminded how beautiful she was.

I never thought I would see Ginny and Capt. Jack in a dog sled! But there they are, and they look pretty happy about the whole thing, too. It wouldn't be same ole, same ole, even if it was their fourth Alaska trip. Chase's hat makes him look like a Scandinavian. (That was complimentary, Chase.)

Miss Hetty's Mailbox finally produced the birthday pictures we had been looking for: Sully turning three years old. Verlaine, did you notice the window treatments on the picture with the cake shown before it was just a memory?

Happy anniversary, Mitzi and Sheldon!

I can't get any chuckle out of CHUCKLES this time. I'm probably the only one that can't recognize what he's sitting on.

The "Quotation for the day" about the heart that loves always being young was so appropriate for our Editor and her Don in their anniversary issue, and for newlyweds Ryan and Jessica, too.

For some reason it feels like this rainy day LTTE lacks sparkle and enthusiasm, but hopefully it will be a little bit of encouragement and inspiration to our ever hard working Bulletin contributors and staff. Thank you, again.

Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell & Douglas Anderson
Becky & Lori Chap and Doug Anderson make music together.

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future. --Alex Haley

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.