The Bulletin
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Hi-lili hi-lili hi-lo
Photo © Jerrianne Lowther
Lily bouquet

Updates -

Julie & Sam Mellon, left; Dan, Julie, Sam & Nancy Mellon, right.

Update -- Sam & Julie Mellon get married
by Dan Mellon
Alta Loma, CA

Our son Sam (Mellon) married Miss Julie Deamer on November 3rd, in Piru, California. The weather cooperated, eventually, and the day was lovely. I heard more than one person say, "I have never seen Sam with such a big smile." They were right. These two were meant to be together!

Photo © Ken Hellevang
Brandon, Ryan & Lindsay Hellevang on Ryan's Wedding Day, August 10, 2007.

Student Update -- looking forward to college next year
by Lindsay Hellevang
Fargo, ND

This summer I babysat five kids every day from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. It was a good experience for me, as I hadn't taken on that much responsibility before. Ryan and Jessica's wedding was also this summer, and I got to sing with my cousin, Jessica (Myron) Gauderman; her dad, Tim; and Jessica Hellevang's uncle, Loyd Heimbruch. It is strange to think that everyone is growing up, including me.

I am now a senior in high school, trying to figure out what I want to do the rest of my life! I have decided on either going to NDSU or UND, but NDSU is looking better for me. I want to major in business and get a job at a bank, or be a Licensed Practical Nurse. I'm not sure yet, but I have plenty of time to decide, I've been told.

This fall I was in our school's musical, The Secret Garden. I was one of the "dreamers" (ghosts or spirits) who came and visited those who were still living. We had to look dead, of course, which meant white faces and black eyes, and that was very attractive! My cousins Marlene, Kim, Whitney, and Mark Johnson and Patty and Rachel Henderson, came to one of the performances, so that was fun. The musical took a lot of time, but I enjoyed it. I have been in North High musicals since 10th grade and it is sad that this was my last one.

So that's pretty much what I've been doing, and now I'm looking forward to relaxing, finally.


At North High's musical, The Secret Garden. Back: Mark Johnson, Sarah Nelson, Kim & Whitney Johnson, Patty & Rachel Henderson, Marlene Johnson; front: Katie Roseen, Lindsay Hellevang & Kadrie Swanson.

Update -- another chili cook-off winner!
by Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

Lori, I can't believe you took second in your chili contest! I guess I'll have to send a picture of my trophy for #1 in the contest we had at work! ;)

Something tells me we've got a chili cook-off in our future...

Our chili contest was part of our company's United Way drive. To judge the chili, people had to pay a dollar per vote. We had set a goal of $50,000 as a company (not just the chili contest -- overall), and ended up giving $60,721, between the contest, individual pledges, a silent auction, a bake sale, fabulous flamingos, penny wars, and some other special events.

Fabulous flamingos is where people can pay a certain amount to send one of these giant cardboard flamingos to a co-worker, then that co-worker has to pay $5 or something to get rid of it. The penny wars were to see which company executive has to play Santa at the company holiday party. After one of them was overheard telling someone else that he had given a blank check to the gal in charge, with directions to make sure he did NOT end up playing Santa, the amounts exploded. The one playing Santa ended up with over $2,000 in his jar!


Photo © Wyatt Johnson
I got this first place trophy and a $25 grocery store gift card for my big win!

Update -- Gracie is doing OK
by Patty Anderson
Isanti, MN

Gracie is doing OK. We have her on the maximum non-narcotic pain meds she can have. She is taking a combination of pain medicine (Ultram -- same thing Donna is on), an anti-inflamatory and a new drug for nerve pain. She walks with a limp and tries not to bear weight on her bad leg but she still seems happy and even runs around the yard when we are outside.

Don put up the ramp he made for Dorothy to get in and out of the back so she doesn't have to do any stairs. Our biggest fear is that she will break the leg where the cancer has weakened it. She hasn't had any respiratory symptoms yet, in spite of the large tumors in her lungs. We don't really know how this will go or how long it will take. She is by far the most loyal and loving animal we have ever known and she has certainly earned whatever comfort and dignity we can provide her with in her last days with us.

The vet looked at her yesterday and said she had a lot more swelling in her shoulder over the cancer (which causes her a lot of pain after periods of increased activity outside, in spite of the drugs she's on). We added Tyl#4 to her medications as a "rescue" dose for acute pain. The rest of her meds keep her on an even keel, so to speak.

We had to call five pharmacies before we found one with it in stock and, fortunately, it is not expensive like a few of the others she is on. After she is gone, we will donate any left over meds she has back to the vet for others who can't afford them. Health insurance for pets is not looking so silly anymore!

Here is another picture taken on our trip: Gracie and Don at our campsite on Lake Ontario. This is one of my favorite pictures of them!

Photo © Patty Anderson
Don & Gracie.

James, left; Kathleen Dake, Eric & Cody Printz & James Dake, right.

Update -- introducing James Thomas Dake
compiled by Angela Stahlecker Roberson
Hico, TX

James Thomas Dake is the fourth child of Bill and Lois Dake. He was born on May 12, 1957, in Clifton, Texas. I requested input from our family to help introduce him to you as he is quite a character, and I didn't feel I could do this introduction justice all by myself!

In thinking of Uncle James, I remember that "Uncle Red" was always sitting in an old green chair reading National Geographic when we would visit Grandma's house. He took Mom (Kathleen) for a ride on his Harley one time, and I remember hearing her scream from the block over (which he thought was extremely funny). And, honestly, through everything, I've always thought of him as having a very gentle, giving soul.

Adriana Stahlecker Brown (niece)
Granbury, TX

My first memory of James is when Kathleen and I married and traveled to Waco to meet my in-laws. James came in about midnight, shortly after we arrived. He was wearing "waffle stomper" shoes (really high wide heels, the style then). He asked me what size boots I wear. He had a pair of nice Naconas that he did not wear anymore because of his change in clothing style. They fit like they were made for me. He and I hit it off really well and have traveled many roads together since.

Earl Stahlecker (brother-in-law)
Gatesville, TX

James was only 7 or 8 years old when I left home to go to nursing school. So my main memories of him are when he was pretty young. For some reason, one memory that is clear is of us having some puppies on the farm and one of them licking James around his face and ears and he was just giggling hysterically, which made all the rest of us laugh, too. He was a pretty "sunny" natured little guy most of the time, it seemed to me. He had bright red hair, a nose covered with freckles, and a mischievous grin on his face most of the time.

He came up to Ault, Colorado, and spent a summer with Harold and me, where we were living on a feedlot operation, after he was in his teens. He and one of the sons of the owner of the place were "fooling around" with some M-80's they managed to get hold of somehow ... and one of the M-80's "flew" (or was thrown) into an open trench where Harold had just laid some new PVC pipe water line, and blew up ... breaking the line. You can imagine the commotion that caused!

Carol Dake Printz (sister)
Sidney, NE

Here goes my tale to tell on my dear brother. James and I were about three years apart in age. He was around 8 or so when Daddy died, and I often wonder how much he remembers of Daddy. Tricia was just a little tyke, and Mother was so busy trying to get us all raised, I sometimes feel like he got lost in the shuffle. We would fight like cats and dogs, but on the flip side, we would defend each other to the bitter end if someone else was picking on either one.

When we were little, some of my fondest memories were of James and I either playing dress-up, or cowboys and Indians, on the old horse "OLE DOC" down on Hog Creek. You see we had this unspoken deal that one day we would dress-up ... hat, purse, Mom's powder, high heels and all. (We have the pictures somewhere to prove it!) The next day we would ride OLE DOC down in the woods and to Hog Creek and we would be cowboys and Indians.

(Mother says now that she had concerns about me dressing him up, etc. but that Daddy would just laugh and say, "Don't worry, someday he will put an end to that!" and he did.) A lot of the cousins got an introduction to OLE DOC. He was quite the horse.

Before Daddy died, when he was still running the feed store, there was a group of men that would sit around and tell tales all day long. We nicknamed them the Spit and Whittle Club. That speaks for itself. They loved to have James around and teased him. There were a few times that he would come up with some not-so-nice words, and be in trouble for them at home. It did not take a lot to figure out where those words came from, as neither Mom nor Dad talked that way. He would just say, "so and so said that," and, of course, he would be a member of the Spit and Whittle Club.

After Daddy died, when Stan graduated, we had to move to Waco, to be closer to Grandpa and Grandma Gandy. James ended up quitting school, I believe his sophomore year. He did take some schooling at a vocational college. James loves to read and is, in a lot of ways, more versed than someone with a college degree. James has two sons, William Earl Dake and Jeremiah Dake. William Earl lives in Waco while Jeremiah lives in Indiana.

My brother has always had a little gypsy in him. He has resided in Arizona for quite some time. He loves it there, and the last we heard from him, he was working on a ranch out of Tucson somewhere. He loves to ride Harleys. He has always lived by the motto that "No news is good news." So, we do not hear from him very often.

James was able to be home for Mother's 80th birthday. At that time he was working for some kind of an oil and gas line surveying crew and it just so happened that he was close by. Since then, he went back to work for the ranch, the last we knew. We love him dearly, and must always accept that James will always be James.

Kathleen Dake Stahlecker (sister)
Gatesville, TX

Uncle James has always stood out in my mind as a sweet, good-hearted person. When I think of him, I think of a baby blue Harley, wild red hair, and a kind, free spirit. Once he traveled to Colorado to visit us with a group of friends on motorcycles. The foreman's wife thought it was the Hell's Angels coming to take over the ranch! We've often had a good laugh over that as Dad (Earl) had to explain that the wild-looking group was actually coming to visit us! I remember that Adriana and I really enjoyed having Uncle James there to visit us and were sad when he had to return home, as he was always a lot of fun. When he was in Texas for Grandma Lois's birthday, James came to visit Adriana and me one afternoon with Dad and Aaron. We enjoyed seeing him and are always glad to hear from him. He is definitely a one-of-a-kind uncle!

Angela Stahlecker Roberson (niece)
Hico, TX

Lois Dake, front; Patricia Dake Meyer, James Dake, Kathleen Dake Stahlecker, Carol Dake Printz & Stanley Dake.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Photo © Donna Johnson
Silk robe, Godiva chocolates, our bed "turned down" for us. Down comforters, pillows and silky smooth sheets made for a superior night's rest!

A Grand Night At The Grand Hotel

Lori won far more than her chili cook-off at work. Quite some time ago, she won a night at The Grand Hotel, in downtown Minneapolis. She'd made reservations for this past Saturday night; they planned on taking McKenna and enjoying their evening. However, McKenna had a cough and Lori wasn't sure she wanted to drag her out. I told her we'd take care of McKenna and they should use their evening.

But, no ... while I was talking to Beaver on the phone, I heard Lori in the other room ... she changed the reservations to our name! I felt that was extremely unfair for us to use it, instead of them. But, I have a stubborn daughter. (Now, where did THAT come from?) There was no changing her mind.

So, away Beaver and I went, to spend a most lovely evening, in the most elegant, old fashioned accommodations we'll more than likely ever have occasion to enjoy! We even watched an old movie that seemed to fit the feeling of the evening, with Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Louis Armstrong.

Photos © Donna Johnson
The sitting area, left, was cozy and refined; the high ceiling's detailed moldings are not evident in the picture, so it doesn't totally convey how nice it felt. The bathroom was very large, with marble and every little necessary item at our fingertips, including lavender powder for the bath. There were lighted shelves behind the bathroom door that one certainly doesn't find in the usual type of hotel room.

To top it off, we went ahead and splurged, ordering from room service, which was wonderful ... delicious food and delivered with a beautiful little peach colored rose. I could get used to that treatment. (Grin.)

So, a big thank you to Lori and Shawn for a delightful surprise! We were definitely winners this weekend!

Photos © Donna Johnson
I enjoyed the Weston Walks, left, so had to share. There were several pictures, with older documents and historical details. The rose that arrived with our meal, on the winning invitation to The Grand Hotel.

Photos © Donna Johnson
Lori & McKenna at "Thank you!" brunch. McKenna would not look at the camera.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Moving Day -- Early Bulletin Deadline

Moving day is coming soon -- on Saturday, December 1. We would like to send The Bulletin out on Friday night, so let's have an early deadline this week.

If we have everything by NOON ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30, we should do fine. (But sooner is better -- there's a lot to be done to make a finished Bulletin! --Photo Editor)

Thanksgiving (our last here)

We just finished our meal and I put up the leftovers in divided plastic dishes in large plastic bags for meals to last me until moving day. We had roast chicken with dressing. (Of course, it was rotisserie and only needed heating with the Stove Top dressing in it and beside it.) We had canned cranberries ... and I was wishing they were from Dave Ring's little jar ... a baked potato, divided between us, and some brown gravy to use over whatever, with creamed corn as our vegetable. We finished up with bakery pumpkin pie.

We both decided we liked it better than last year's fighting the crowd at a buffet that turned out to do no better than we, as everything was very evidently out of cans.

Tomorrow Rich, Mar, and kids are coming to be with us and help finish packing the good dishes and help with the fine cleaning that needs to be done. We are to meet our new landlord next Tuesday and move the following Saturday. If possible, I might send out next week's paper Friday night -- I can do it at midnight, or so.

We have not had any snow here yet ... we've had flurries but they have all disappeared. The grass is still green around our area.


Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. LeRoy Dake supplied last week's mystery pictures.

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type.

I'm guessing the couple is Uncle George and Aunt Phoebe Huisman -- how cute of both of them -- doing farm work, with the picture taken next to the tractor.

I should know who the babe in the rocker is, as the child looks vaguely familiar, but right now no name comes to mind.

Judy Riesenberg
Great Falls, MT

I guess the Guess picture is George and Phoebe Huisman in the early days of their marriage. Oh, what a nice looking couple!

I find it interesting that the tractor in the background is a Minneapolis-Moline ZTU model; the fenders tell me is a pre-1940 vintage. The styled fender made its debut in 1940. Also the one shown here was a "hand-wind" model -- notice the crank in its upright position. (No starter or lights.) Now, who wants to dispute this?

I read some interesting things about old tractors. The Minneapolis Moline model "R" tractor appeared in late 1939. It appeared to be just the ticket for farmers with their comfort in mind. But the cab tractor didn't go over too well -- and in researching the history, it said many were recalled and sent back to Minneapolis to be demolished.

My opinion was the cabs were only built for the "R" tractor, a low horsepower tractor at a time when farmers were looking for larger tractors as they were expanding to more acres.

Also, the cab on this M-M "R" model was very noisy for the operator; it seems the howl from the tractor rear end produced a noise that would cause a person to become deaf. (I have found this out, as I drove one a little.)

They were very cute and well built. There are still some around, but mostly in collectors' hands.

Later on, in new cabs of today, there is insulation and some have rubber mountings to prevent transmitting noise to the driver. Today's cabs are very quiet and you can listen to the radio.

Don Anderson
Alexandria, MN

The picture is, I believe, of my sister Phoebe and her husband, George Huisman. I don't have any idea who the little child is, not even a guess.

Jim Miller
Bradenton, FL

What a thrill to find the picture of my folks, George and Phoebe Huisman, in your Bulletin today! I have never seen this picture, but they look so young and full of life! Thanks for running it! The other picture surely looks like Stanley Dake; could it really be? Surely do enjoy the pictures.

Glenda (Huisman) Baker
Pingree, ND

Editor's comment: Isn't that a memorable photo? It was prepared by Ginny McCorkell from LeRoy Dake's collection of old snaps.

I agree with you. It just has to be Stanley Dake. Every time I see it, I am more convinced that that is who it is. At first, I wasn't sure, but after viewing it a dozen times or more, I decided it was indeed my dear Texas nephew ... who, as a teenager, was disappointed that he had been born in Minnesota ... as he is Texan through and through. He is sitting in Mom's rocker, in between the living room and the dining room of our home place.

Is that Uncle George and Aunt Phoebe standing by the tractor? Wow, they look VERY young! I wonder what year it was when the picture was taken?

Shari Larson
Phoenix, AZ

Editor's comment: That is who it is, but when it was taken I wouldn't know ... but I think early in their marriage.

I must say that the GUESS pictures get more and more difficult. I want to guess that it's George and Phoebe (Miller) Huisman on the one picture. The baby looks like it could be related to Marlene, but the picture is too old. So, once again, I suppose it's wasted space for me to even take a guess.

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Editor's comment: You guessed two out of three -- not bad!

That looks like Mr. and Mrs. George Huisman. Could that be right? Not sure about Phoebe in bib overalls! But it is my guess. As for the little fellow in the chair ... I don't have a clue.

Tom Miller
Madera, CA

That is George and Phoebe Huisman; can't tell if it's an Allis Chalmers or not, but I bet Phoebe could turn that crank to start it! I think that is the first Dake grandchild, Carol, who was allowed to run back and forth across the big table to whomever was sitting around it.

Gert Dake Pettit
Howard Lake, MN

The happy couple in front of the Minneapolis Moline (probably a model "Z") is Uncle George and Aunt Phoebe (Miller) Huisman. Notice the crank "starter" to left of George's elbow ... you never had to worry about a dead battery with a crank!

The cute baby is cousin Stan Dake at Grandma and Grandpa Dake's.

Steve Miller
Coral Springs, FL

LTD Storybrooke

by Larry Dake

"Wheeeee-e!" Sarah squealed. We hit the next big puddle and the water splashed up over the cab. A muddy spray refreshed us through the open windows.

"Shower-bumps! Shower-bumps!" Amy chanted aptly.

Spring was in the air and we were enjoying the ride! The little snow left in the shadows up on the ridge was rapidly disappearing. I was hauling manure from "Isle Magnificent" with an old flatbed Ford. The kids were bouncing along beside me on the springs of the bench seat as we hit each "shower-bump." Checker was on the seat between us, sharing in the excitement. Happily, his iodine-stained eye had cleared up.

Sherry (employed at her customary rate of $3.33 an hour) was at the sheep pens, opening and closing the gates for us. So this was a family affair; a nice change of venue from the recent long days in the lambing shed.

The sheep were still with us, but the lambing had slowed to a trickle. The Utah sheep herders had been fired, Domingo had quit, and now Brad was laid off. We were saddened to see his young family leave. They had hoped he could stay on as a full-time ranch hand. But back to town they went, to look for another job.

We'd had José over for supper the night before: savory lamb chops, potatoes, and homemade blackberry pie. José told us, at the supper table, that he had a wife and four children in southern Mexico. Whereas Sherry was making $3.33 an hour opening and closing gates, he said that in Mexico he did farm labor for $1.50 a day! For a while, he'd had a good paying job in a factory, at $3 a day. Sherry and I could hardly comprehend the hardship that caused men like José to leave their families -- for years at a time -- just to put food on the table.

After supper, Amy joined Sarah in carving "ink stamps" out of potatoes; heart shapes were their most successful design. They dipped the potatoes into the ink and stamped the hearts onto paper -- for cards and letters.

José had said he worked a whole day in Mexico to pay for one bag of potatoes.

At our destination -- with the dump-truck load of manure -- the kids would turn around on their knees to look out the back window. I'd grind the power take-off into gear with one of two knobs.

"Elevator going down," I'd say, as I pulled out the second knob.

Looking at the headboard of the truck bed going up, the kids got the convincing sensation that they were in an elevator, going down. When we reached the "bottom," I'd drop the clutch and the load would slide off. Then, shoving the knob back in, I'd say, "Elevator coming up."

Once back on top of our imaginary elevator, we were off for another load. On return trips, the broken, rim-rock ridge was on our right and the great, open plain on our left.

As evening approached, the mule deer began to come down from the hills. A few at a time, they crossed the road in front of us, to gather in the hayfields on the plain. Bathed in the golden glow of the setting sun, the fields were beginning to show the gentle greening of spring.

$  A Long Time Ago   !

Edward W. Miller Inlaid Wood Furniture
by David B. Ring (a grandson)
Palo, Alto, CA

Photos © David B. Ring
Left: This is the first of two octagonal end tables (this one 19" x 19" x 30") that were in the Harnish house at 61 Vernon Drive until I inherited them. It is stamped on the bottom E. W. Miller 1950. (The matching tabletop is below, left.) Right: The other octagonal end table from the Harnish house (17" x 17" x 30"). Stamped E. W. Miller 1952.

Photos © David B. Ring
Left: This is the top of the first of two octagonal end tables (this one 19" x 19" x 30") that were in the Harnish house at 61 Vernon Drive until I inherited them. It is stamped on the bottom E. W. Miller 1950. Right: a corner cupboard I'm also pretty sure was made by E. W. Miller. If there's a stamp, it must be on the back where I can't see it (not on the bottom -- I looked with a mirror). From the Harnish back bedroom.

Photos © David B. Ring
Left: octagonal coffee table (32" long x 21" deep x 17" high) that my grandfather made. On the top is a pane of glass that fits into a small raised rim. On the bottom is stamped, in block letters, E. W. Miller 1950. This table was in my mom's possession as early as I can remember, and was likely a gift to her and my father, Fred Miller, before or around the time of my birth in 1951. Right: inlaid wood tabletop for octagonal coffee table. I wish I knew enough to recognize all the woods used in these pieces (or that Grandpa Miller had put a crib sheet on the bottom).

Click here to see all the inlaid wood photos sent by Dave Ring.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
November 26---DeLoris Anderson
November 27---Shalana Kay Weiland (11 years)
November 30---Aaron Stahlecker

Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries
November 26---Ben and Heather Henderson (3 years)
November 29---Kurtis and Jeni Larson (3 years)


December Birthdays
December 3---Twila Aydelotte
December 4---Carol Dake Printz
December 4---Elaine Anderson Wold
December 4---Sonja Dake
December 7---Aunika Swenson
December 10---Ryan Henderson
December 11---Wyatt Wm. Meyer (8 years)
December 12---Sarah Lynn Dake Steinhauer
December 13---Larry Dake
December 13---Derek Swenson
December 14---Kathleen Dake Stahlecker
December 17--- Char Morgan Myron
December 17---Austin Printz
December 19---Barb Anderson
December 19---Lisa Boltz
December 20---Jay Pierre Miller
December 21---Melanie Anderson Shockey
December 21---Jonathan Glen Hill (3 years)
December 24---Ken Hellevang
December 24---Arbor Johnson
December 24---Beaver Johnson
December 25---Angela Stahlecker Roberson
December 26---Koen de Been
December 29---Mitzi Johnson Swenson
December 30---Travis Quick

December Anniversaries
December 20---Eric and Melanie Anderson Shockey (5 years)
December 23---Harold and Carol Dake Printz (40 years)
December 27---Earl and Kathleen Dake Stahlecker (33 years)

December Special Days
December 7---Pearl Harbor Day
December 22---First day of Winter
December 25---Christmas Day
December 31---New Year's Eve

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Dear Miss Hetty,

Thank you for remembering us with fun e-cards to celebrate my birthday [Arg] and our anniversary. We enjoyed a birthday dinner at home with Jerrianne and our next door friends joined us. Kathy made my traditional birthday pumpkin pie from the recipe on the Festal Pumpkin can, even though we have to use another brand of pumpkin up here. It snowed for my birthday and decorated the trees with frost. Winter is here, even though I don't want it to be.

For our anniversary, we went to our favorite Greek restaurant.

The Bulletin is a real highlight for us each week. We like to have this connection with friends and family. When we do get to visit in person, like I did with some of you in October, while I was in Minnesota, it is extra special because of our connections through The Bulletin.

Thank you,
Argyle and Kathy (Johnson) Anderson
Anchorage, AK

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; Amy's photo from Melanie Printz's blog
Isn't her expression delightful? Just look at those little fingers ... Amy Printz is tickled right down to her little fingertips!

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Click here to review last week's Bulletin

I thought those answers in The Bulletin were very good for the Thanksgiving edition. That was fun! I think all enjoyed it!

Now maybe another question will bring out some more writers -- how about "A nice thing someone did for me" or "What is a special gift you received?" I think it opens up the minds of some to write who don't know what to put in an article otherwise.

This week started our cold days; the wind was strong from south so it felt even colder. We had a few flurries in the air that melted right away.

Tom and Mavis got to Florida Friday night (the 16th); glad they made the trip without trouble and safely. Now they can bask in the sun! Mavis has her e-mail set up, so maybe we will have an Update from her soon!

Elaine Anderson Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

How appropriate to have a lovely photo of Gert and her cake! This being a family Bulletin, the baby sister featured was just right. I didn't realize Gert was that much younger than I am. I was astounded at that big crowd being family! That's a lot of birthdays and anniversaries to acknowledge.

The Thanksgiving issue could have been thick and bound if everyone wrote what they were thankful for. It's so hard to narrow it down to just one thing, or even a few. Seems no matter how things go, one can still be thankful for many of the things we take for granted -- like our faith, and our sight and our abilities.

That would have been more fun for Grandpa and Grandpa than for Aiden and Austin to go to McDonald's. Just watching their grandsons having such a great time would be worth it all. Don't forget to send Sam's wedding pictures you mentioned. What a bitter disappointment, not to have your pictures turn out, especially when it was your son, and hope someone has some nice ones for your albums.

The Ostendorfs seem to be fortunate at winning things. This time chili cook-off winner. You would know your Bulletin family wants to know all about that. How many did you compete against with your chili, Lori? I looked through The Bulletin for the recipe, but didn't find it. HHHmmm ... MMMMMMMmmmm. I was surprised that a cell phone could take such a clear, good picture.

Well, I couldn't believe my eyes to see the picture of BOTH cats sitting TOGETHER, and not fighting at all. Now, that took some discipline and untiring training to get Miss Kitty to allow Mai Tai to share stuff.

Thanks, Miss Kitty, for your version of how it all came about. And I think you are one great cat to be willing to let another cat watch your birds. We have so many questions unanswered, though. Like what about the cat dish, the litter box, the night situation. Or does he go back to the studio downstairs as his refuge? Be sure and give us updates on this queer setup that you didn't ask for. Do you pronounce it "My Tie?" ... or May Tay?

[Mai Tai, pronounced "My Tie," is thriving. He's upstairs full time now and though he still has plenty of room for improvement with regard to respecting his "big sister," he's rapidly changing from cute kitten to a very handsome cat. He's all brat, all the time, but he's "family" now. --Ed.]

The shock of finding a grandson of your great uncle to reconnect with the family would have been very meaningful for all of your family, Jerrianne. How ironic that the inlaid wood work would bring you together. Can you imagine the thrill it would have been for Dave Ring to have stumbled onto all that on the Internet? And then to find someone willing to help him reunite with a family. There will be a lot more to that story as it unfolds of both your family and his. Very interesting life story he shared. We are sorry to hear of the Parkinson's.

I was so glad so many responded to the Editor's request for why we are thankful. Even Miss Kitty and Mai Tai submitted one, but then they have reason for being thankful when they both could have been homeless.

When I saw the words, "I'll scratch the surface," I thought to myself, yes, that is exactly it. One can only scratch the surface on this subject. Then as I read on further, here it was our Capt'n Jack, no less, talking about his beloved Lady Ginn. I remember them just before they were married, and I must say they have been extremely happy anytime we've chanced to see them. Jack was so musical and always dressed just perfect with that nicely trimmed mustache, and Virginia had that beautiful smile and naturally wavy hair!

LTD Storybrooke, we were captivated by the Silver Dollar Ranch chapter of your time at the sheep ranch. It is written like it happened yesterday. It must have been gruesomely unforgettable. You can draw graphic pictures with your words; did you know that? What a clever approach to this lamb adoption situation. Esteban and Domingo's endings were sad. One just sort of wonders where those two men are right now. And they might be wondering the same about this Larry and Sherry Dake.

The Travelogue on the Viet Nam Memorial wall by Verlaine was so touching. I remember when that happened, and Verlaine showed us the pencil tracing she had made of our friend's name on the wall with 50,000 others. It was too uncanny how that all happened, but it was true. I am so glad she shared that with The Bulletin. Our Bulletin family would have so many special stories if they would just bring them to memory and tell us.

Beaver always has a special way of writing, so when we see the story of "One Mower Time" by Beaver, we expect great things and weren't disappointed. We got a laugh out of how sorry he was when the mowers broke down. There went a few more tax dollars, eh?

I lit up to see that colander in the picture of the cranberry sauce. It is just like the one we have in our cupboard that is many, many years old, but still works whenever there is a job for it to do. Our wooden handle is stained, too, from all the grapes that were made into juice off Roy's grape vine by the back steps.

Thanks for the Celebrations and Observances from the files of Hetty Hooper. I don't forget the one on November 27th, Shalana Kay Weiland, my great niece. I already have her gift, but I'm not tellin'.

This old heart was so thrilled to see Shalana in her aquarium costume, and Krista in her Miss Smartie Pants costume for Halloween. I guess I didn't even know there was such a candy as "Smarties" candy rolls until I saw the caption under her picture. I thought that was just a cute title. Oh well, this great auntie is pretty old -- sorry, kids. I have a lot to learn.

I was so touched to see Dave Ring sending in his "subscription" to The Bulletin. He will persevere in his search for the family he didn't realize was there.

Considering the cats we have in The Bulletin, we can well identify with the cute picture of Ethan Horne bringing home TWO cats. Ethan, if your mom won't let you have them, I know Jerrianne will always find room.

I loved the Quotation for the day. We have so many blessings we don't even count that really are blessings. So as it said, when I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.

I would have to say, becoming a subscriber of The Bulletin has surely enriched my life and broadened my world. I want to thank our editor and the photo editor for their untiring endeavor to have just enough and not too much and hardly any repetition and something for everyone.

P.S. Where in the world is Weston?

Roy and Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; Amy's words & photo from Melanie Printz's blog
No "homewowk" on Thursday, Amy Printz -- it's Thanksgiving!

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.