Updates -

Jonathan and Jazmine Hill
Jonathan, 3-1/2 months old, left, & Jazmine Hill, 22-1/2 months.
(Children of Nathan & Brenda Hill; grandchildren of Dwight & Janie Anderson.)

by Grandpa Larry Dake

Levi Owen Steinhauer was born at 9:59 p.m. April 19th, 2005. He weighed 7 pounds, 14 ounces. Congratulations, Sarah and Michael Steinhauer!

Amy, Sherry and I are planning to see the new family on Saturday -- maybe we'll manage to have a picture by next week.

Lydia Anderson
Lydia Anderson Olson in 1990, holding Katie.
(We surmise that Katie is her great-granddaughter.)

UPDATE -- Death of Lydia Anderson Olson, 1909-2005
by Dorothy Anderson and Elaine Anderson Wold

First of all a little background about this relative of the Andersons. Lydia and our children's Grandpa Harry Anderson were half brother and sister. She was born in 1909.

Lydia is the last of our family of that generation to leave us. There are now no living relatives in that generation of Andersons. She and her husband, Oscar Olson, and their youngest daughter moved to the Seattle, Washington, area many years ago. Some of the rest of the family moved there at a later date. Her husband and three of their children passed away at earlier dates.

We got word today (Monday, April 18) that Lydia passed away this morning. It has been a long time for her in a nursing home, and she has been so confused ... it has been hard on the family, also. She lived longer than three of her children. Three are left. The small graveside service that is planned seems very fitting for her at her age.

by Twila Aydelotte
Anchorage, AK (soon)

Just wanted to send you a quick update, before my computer is packed away for a couple of weeks. Jeff was unable to find a suitable job in Idaho, so he took a job in Anchorage, Alaska. He's been working there since the beginning of the month, and the kids and I will join him this weekend. I have the packers and movers (corporate move) coming this morning, and I've been up all night, but I think we are almost ready. I just have the kitchen left to sort.

The kids are excited to be able to fly on an airplane, and to see their daddy soon. I'm not looking forward to the hours of sitting around and waiting at the airport, but sure things will work out. My neighbors have made comments on how interesting it will be to see the seven of us with all our luggage. I'm sure it will look a bit funny if we take 14 suitcases to check in and seven carry-on backpacks, and one cat. Hopefully, we will be able to get a picture to send you.

Editor's Comment: We will look forward to the picture and we want to wish you well in this move.... I would imagine your parents (Kathlyn and Argyle Anderson) are looking forward to your arrival!

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Daycare yard
Back Row: Kerstyn Schroeder, Ganon Heinrich, Austin Schroeder; middle row: Anissa Heinrich, Madison Bestul, Jayce Chap, Torin Olson (in hat), Caity Chap, Cecilia Nelson; kneeling in front: Katie Hoffman & Jackie Hoffman.

Grand Re-opening: Spring Returns To Daycare Yard

It was grand "reopening" this week of our daycare yard, which caused for much excitement amongst my daycare group! They were thrilled to become reaquainted with all their long lost summer toys, playhouse, swing sets, slides, rocking and climbing toys, and of course, the sandbox!

Beaver and Dave spent a couple hours last weekend getting the fence repaired, holes from the dogs (put chicken wire on the outside) and some places the wind/snow had taken down over the winter. Dave and I (with a little help from Becky) raked the play area on Saturday, Becky brought the ride on toys back to the yard. We'd been playing with them on the deck while it was muddy. I cleaned the playhouse out, Dave pressure washed the rug and little kitchen toy. All the little dishes got run through the dishwasher and the dolls got a ride in the washing machine. All fresh and ready for business!

The fence was not so well liked by Reesy (my miniature pinscher); she went running full bore to go through a hole she'd gotten out of last summer and ran right into the chicken wire! Doubt she'll make that mistake again.

climbers housekeepers
Climbers: Ganon, Jayce, Katie & Austin; housekeepers: Cecilia, Anissa & Katie.

Photo Editor's Note: Spring must be early this year. This annual ritual was first reported Bulletin 42 ... the May 11, 2003, issue of The Bulletin ... at least two weeks later in the season.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Starting with Bulletin 124, I planned to run biographical sketches of the members of our staff. Now that this has been done, I want to run sketches and pictures of the readers and subscribers who have not already done introductions. Please tell us about yourself. What is your work and what else do you do with your time? How are you related or what friend introduced you into the family? I am hoping that you can share family photos and background sketches. Send all manuscripts and pictures to me at dma49261@juno.com

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn.)

Who are these young people?

Answers to last week's mystery picture (click here to review it):

Christopher Chap and Kimberly Johnson would be my guess :-)
I loved Jim's comments on the last three mystery guests. Back to reading the rest of another super Bulletin! Jerrianne did do wonders with the pictures!

Donna Anderson Johnson
Ashby, MN

OK, I'm going to give a wild guess at this one. I think the child on the left comes from Donna Mae's family. I was thinking he looks like Jayce but the picture looks too old ... maybe Chris? I would guess the child on the left is one of Marlene's daughers? There are so many readers out there I do not know and have never seen. But then again, after last week's guess it appears I don't even know my own mother!! :o)

Melanie Lehtola
Howard Lake, MN

My guess on the photos is Jayce and Heidi Johnson.

Mavis Morgan
Hope, ND

I would like to venture a guess at those two little cuties!! The one on the left is of course our dear Christopher (Chap) and the one on the right our dear Kimberly Brooke (Johnson). What cuties!

Patty Henderson
Minnetrista, MN

A late -- and right -- guess on the first picture. (To review picture, click here.)

The lovely ladies in the picture are: Blanche Miller, Elizabeth ? and Dorothy Anderson. Love the current Bulletin.

Diana Martin
Brook Park, MN

LTD Storybrooke

The Long Ride
By Larry Dake
Part Two

When early pioneers first crossed the San Juan Mountains at Wolf Creek Pass in southern Colorado, it took them up to three weeks. With the arrival of the Model-T, it still took up to one week, and sometimes as little as two days, to traverse the same forty-two miles.

By the time C.W. McCall wrote his now famous trucking song, Wolf Creek Pass, he wrote that he and "Earl" had ... spent all night ... pulling a load of chickens to the top of "The Great Divide." And by his account, when they went truckin' on down the other side, they were traveling at the rate of twenty two-thousand telephone poles an hour!

I arrived at the foot of the pass, pulling my 56-foot trailer loaded with 50 gallon barrels of cleaning solvent. My trip over "The Great Divide" would only take a few hours, but it was a sweet adventure for this Minnesotan on his first trip out west in an 18-wheeler. There was plenty of opportunity for fancy shifting. And the scenery was awesome.

Despite its cracked window and lack of shine, my truck was a real powerhouse. Going up hills, it passed nearly every truck on the road. But coming on down the other side, they nearly all passed us back again.

I preferred the safety of a lower gear and cooled brakes over "Earl's" methods: Earl grabbed on the shifter and he stabbed her into fifth gear ...

C.W. McCall continued, Earl r'ared back, and cocked his leg, stepped down as hard as he could on the brake, and the pedal went clear to the floor and stayed there, right there on the floor ... Well, from there on down it just wasn't real purdy: it was hairpin county and and switchback city. One of 'em looked like a can full'a worms; another one looked like malaria germs. Right in the middle ... was a real nice tunnel ...

The extra length of my trailer had me swinging wide into the other lane just to keep all my wheels on the pavement. My "Jake Brakes" rat-at-tat-tat-ed, keeping my speed under control. I didn’t want to be singing C.W. McCall's tune when I went through the tunnel.

He wrote, Well we shot that tunnel at a hundred-and-ten, like gas through a funnel and eggs through a hen, Went down and around and around and down ...

When they bashed into the side of the feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs, he and "Earl" must have wiped it out, because as I rolled down main street there was no more feed store to be seen.

Another hundred miles put me at the loading dock of an industrial cleaning company in Farmington, New Mexico. I arrived at noon, just as the crew was going on break. But in an hour they were back, and soon my truck was empty and I was deadheading my way back to Denver.

* Wolf Creek Pass lyrics by Bill Fries (C.W. McCall)

The 56-foot trailer was too long to fit in this photo in Wolf Creek Pass.

Photo Editor's Note: I had never heard of "jake brakes," so I looked them up on Google.com. I learned more than I ever hoped to know! http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mjake.html

Travelogue t

The Bolivian Beat
By Kjirsten Swenson

Editor's Note: Kjirsten has returned to Bolivia for a second year of independent study, prior to enrollment in medical school at Baylor University in Houston, fall semester 2005. In January, she went trekking in Argentina with her parents, Sheldon and Mitzi Swenson, then continued on her own, into the Argentine Lake District. Although none of Kjirsten's posted photos specifically illustrate this week's story, she has many wonderful photos we've had no room for previously.

a long road in the Argentine Lake District
An 18 mile long road that I proudly walked instead of paying $80 bus fare.

Ilha Grande

3/27/05 A week ago Friday, I ferried to Ilha Grande, another Brazilian island paradise that enchanted me enough to stay over twice as many nights as planned. Wish I had photos to share, but instead look at the four pages of this album to see where I was.

It was raining when the boat arrived late in the afternoon and by the time I walked to the island's only hostel I was soaked. Finding it full, I opted to camp by myself in a 4-man tent in the hostel garden for $5 per night instead of paying at least triple that to rent a room elsewhere. Though I had the option of moving to a bed after the weekend, I was a happy camper and decided to save the difference for Rio de Janeiro.

My days began when the birds awoke at dawn. The combined sound of all the calling and singing was positively noisy, impossible to sleep through. I sometimes contemplated rising for an early walk, but was never compelled to do anything before breakfast. Breakfast was the best I've experienced in all the time I've been traveling in South America. There was a choice of several hot drinks, fresh tropical fruit, cereals, homemade bread, cheeses, jams, dulce de leche, carmelized coconut, and more. On the best mornings there was sublime chocolate coconut cake, too!

Ilha Grande is an ecological reserve, a huge playground of trails through the rainforest that link many spectacular beaches. Each day I hiked for a couple of hours along beaches and through the forest to reach a beach by noon. Less thrifty tourists take boats, so I met few people on the trails. I was always aware of sounds when hiking alone; it was a treat to listen to the music of the rainforest birds and insects after many weeks of quieter hiking in Patagonia. Most of the wildlife was very well hidden in the trees, but the butterflies weren't shy and on a few occasions I saw monkeys!

My favorite beach of all was Lopez Mendez, an arc of powdery white sand so fine it squeaked as I walked across it. The water was perfect: turquoise, clear, and warm. And spending an afternoon at the beach was the perfect way to recover from a morning hike!

Most afternoons clouds gathered and it was usually raining by the time I returned to the hostel. But swinging in a porch hammock and watching it pour was a pleasant enough way to pass the evenings. Later, it was worth braving the rain for cheap dinners of fresh crab, squid, shrimp, and fish. Brazilian food is so delicious. I'll tell you about it later.

Anticipating the island being flooded by city folk for the Easter holidays, I fled against the flow. I'm staying near Copacabana Beach and am enjoying Rio a lot! More later,


dock spring flowers at a spring
Dock, left; flowers, right; the Valdivian rain forest is lush.

More photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kjswenson

Greetings from the Netherlands
by Ary Ommert, Jr.
Maassluis, The Netherlands

The past week has been too cold for the time of year; one day was foggy and the other was clouded; we didn't see much sun. Coming days we get more sunshine, but in the nights there is a chance for frost. Most fruit trees are blooming now and frost can damage the blossoms. They spray water over the trees during the night to protect them from freezing.
Also in the garden center we notice people are waiting for higher temperatures and more sunshine.
Tomorrow my colleague and I are going to visit two or three other Intratuin garden centers; we want to see how the houseplants look in other centers. How do they make displays and what varieties do they put together on a table? We hope to see things we can learn from. Will take a camera with me and will send pictures your way.
Have now enclosed a picture from my new kitchen. I'm very happy with it. All is well here and I feel OK--
Greetings from the Netherlands,

Ary's spiffy new kitchen.

Bossy Cow Takes Over
By Beaver

The morning check of the calving pasture was routine. I walked up and down the hills, enjoying the look of the grass greening up after our long Minnesota winter. Cows lounged contentedly, and calves frolicked under their watchful eyes. There was a black cow, who we shall call Mrs. Knot Head, still licking a newborn calf dry. All was well.

When I checked the cows later in the day, there was a red cow, henceforth known as Mrs. Goodma, with a new calf. Mrs. Knot Head was helping Mrs. Goodma lick her calf dry. The calf seemed very happy to have two mothers to pamper him. Mrs. Knot Head's calf, who we shall call Orphan, was nowhere to be found. Usually, these things work themselves out, so I decided to wait until morning and see what would happen.

Early the next morning, I found Orphan outside the pasture fence. I slid him under the fence and sent him off in the direction of Mrs. Knot Head, who was still busy helping Mrs. Goodma with her little Happy. Big mistake! When Orphan tried to nurse, Mrs. Knot Head gave him a nasty kick and then sent him flying with a vicious head-butt that made me cringe. Starvation loomed large in Orphan's future.

I hauled Orphan home on the ATV, and went back for Mrs. Knot Head. Both cows followed Happy when I chased him into the corral. I got a halter on Mrs. Knot Head, tied her to a post, and made her let Orphan nurse until he was full. She still didn't want anything to do with him. I put Mrs. Knot Head in a pen and put Orphan in an adjoining pen.

When I returned several hours later, Mrs. Knot Head had torn down a gate, broken a top rail on the corral, broken the tie chain on another gate, and smashed through a barbed wire fence to get back to the calving pasture. Orphan was also missing. I hoped she hadn't taken him somewhere and killed him. I wished I were an old-time cowboy who carried a gun.

I spent a couple of hours repairing the damaged pens and went out to the pasture to try to figure out a way to get Mrs. Knot Head back to the corral. Orphan was outside the fence again, so I pushed him under the fence, intending to chase or haul him home. Mrs. Knot Head must have been watching, because she came over a hill on the run, got between Orphan and me, and let him nurse, giving me dirty looks as if to say, "Why are you bothering my calf? How would you like a head–butt for your trouble?"

My luck was changing! Just over the hill, another cow had successfully delivered twin calves, and was in the process of licking both of them dry. I'm sure glad she didn't deliver them in the middle of the Mrs. Knot Head episode, or I might never have figured out which families went together!

Several of us -- I am not quite sure how many -- are planning a series of vignettes to paint pictures, with words, to help you understand what our Dake grandparents were like. We will begin the series this week with details of a day at Grandma's house -- long ago!

A Visit to Grandma's House
by Dorothy Dake

Gilbert has come to live with Grandma Dake. Now, since Grandpa died, she has been lonesome and is glad to have Gilbert stay with her. Today she asked Mom if Bubsy and I could come and play with Gilbert and then stay overnight.

So yesterday we took the path up through the pasture and cut across Wrobbel's field to Grandma's house. (Wrobbels rent the farm from Grandma now that Grandpa isn't there to farm it.) Gilbert met us and walked with us through the corn field. We had fun pretending to be settlers!

When we got to Grandma's house, we went in the front door and into the kitchen. (We don't have to knock at Grandma's.) She was busy getting her bread kneaded down to bake. I thought she had a pretty apron. She wears long, dark colored print dresses with a big bib apron over them. When I told her I liked her blue flowered apron, she said it was made out of feed sacks my Mom had shared with her -- she doesn't have cows anymore so doesn't get many feed sacks.

We three kids had a great time playing all afternoon. Part of the afternoon we sat on the foundation that our little house used to sit on. It makes a great place to play, with the cellar for hiding in. We planned that now that Gilbert would be going to school with us -- (I am in fourth grade, Gilbert in fifth grade and Bubsy is in second grade.) Bubsy and I will walk this far then the three of us can walk the rest of the way to school together. We will start next Monday -- that sounds fun!

When we got hungry, we went in to see if we could sample Grandma's fresh bread ... better yet, she had baked Depression Cake. She bakes the absolute best cake!! She knew we would be hungry and because it was a warm spring day she had started up her kerosene stove and baked in that rather than heating up the kitchen with the wood stove.

Our Grandma Dake cooks some different than my Mom. She likes to cook southern style green beans -- put in bacon and cook a long time. She lets them get riper before she picks them than we do. She likes it when the men go hunting and bring back game for her to bake. She does do lovely meals to go with whatever game is available. I have had her squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, and ducks. Anyway, today she wasn't having anything like that. For supper, we had some beef that Mom had sent over with us made into a stew that was really good.

Then, in the evening after supper, she had us wash our faces and hands and feet so the sheets wouldn't get dirty and sent us upstairs. Gilbert got to carry the lamp, because she trusted him with it. Gilbert was pretty careful with most everything he did. Grandma slept in the downstairs bedroom. There were two bedrooms upstairs. She had one for Anty and one for Gilbert. I like her house and she keeps it nice and clean and neat.

This morning I woke up and smelled fat pork, and just KNEW we were having pancakes with the pork. It didn't take long for me to get dressed and downstairs ... and I had guessed right. Grandma had me wash up and then I set the table. The boys came straggling down the steep stairs and after they got ready, Grandma fed us up and then it was time to come home. I do hope she invites us again real soon!

Warren Dake wedding
The Wedding of my Dad's Parents
It shows: Warren Ezra Dake and Mary Cheney Dake
On: their wedding day November 9, 1898

Grandpa Dake, Gilbert hunt
Grandpa Dake & Cousin Gilbert went hunting.

Maybe this will be offensive to some, but it shows the buildings I remember as a child, and I can assure you, both Gilbert and Grandpa loved to hunt!! Not only that but they used every bit of their hunt for a special meal, as these were the days of the great depression, or soon thereafter, so you can be sure nothing was wasted, or left to spoil! I have Grandpa's old ten gauge shotgun, that I'm sure was used on this fine hunting day! Memories of long ago!

What I Remember About My Grandpa Dake -- and Others
by LeRoy (Bubsy) Dake

Grandpa Dake died on May 6th of 1932, so I would have been a little less than 4 years old. I really don't remember a lot about him, but will tell you what I do remember!!

Mother must have thought I should go and visit my grandparents, as she called Grandma and asked her if it was OK for me to come visit; the answer must have been yes! So Grandma watched me come and Mother watched me go!

When I arrived, Grandma gave me a hug and set me down to drink a bit of milk and my favorite graham crackers, and boy they were good! The next thing I did was go out with Grandpa to start the old pump engine; that was the way they pumped water for the cows! Grandpa choked the engine, then cranked it a few times and it fired once and coasted a little, then it fired a few more times until it got up speed enough, then coasted a bit. I guess that is why they called it a hit and miss engine. ;)

Another time I remember Grandpa walked over to our place! We all were around the breakfast table when he came; he stood in the door way between the kitchen and dining room, with his hand on the top of the door and visited a little while, then he went home again! Even I could see he wasn't feeling very well. That was the last time I remember seeing him alive!

Grandma had his funeral at the Methodist church in Howard Lake. (She and Grandpa didn't belong to a church, so she had Wrobbel's preacher and church.) The other thing I remember is that there wasn't room for us to ride in our car, so we were sent with Henry Hesse, in his car. (He was a neighbor from the Smith Lake area, and was on the school board with my Dad.) It was a sad day for all of us!! If Gilbert were still living, he could tell you a lot more about Grandpa Dake, but that is about all I can remember!

The other sad thing I remember is the time my baby sister died! I remember Dad lifting me up to look at the baby in the crib. Yes, death speaks to the very young, as it does to the older folk!!

One more thing I will add that I remember is one bright, sunny morning I got up and wandered out to where Dad was carrying a large forkful of straw into the horse barn! Dad said to me "LeRoy, your new baby sister came last night!!" Gert had arrived! (That all happened during the night, and I missed it all. ;-) But it was a nice start for a new day!!

Uncle LeRoy

This and That
by Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

As a child, I always enjoyed a car ride. It didn't matter when, where, or what we did, the ride was a fun thing to do. We would pile into the old Model-T and go on short outings, maybe to Grandma's, or some other relatives. When we went to town shopping, some had to stay home as there was not room for all in the car with the cream cans and the egg crates we took along to trade for groceries.

One must remember that those old Model-T's made for bumpy riding; it was often dusty and hot when on gravel roads. Frosted windows in winter time obscured the view. A little fan mounted near the windshield helped clear that frost. We were told many times not to talk, as our breath made the windows frost over even more!

One must also remember that many did not own cars, nor could they afford to operate one even with the low price of gas and repairs. Tires often went flat and were fixed on the roadside, as everyone carried a tire pump and a patching kit along with them.

One of the things we kids enjoyed on a ride was coming in sight of a Burma-Shave sign! Back in the 40's and 50's, they could be found along the roads. These were a series of five signs to advertise the shaving cream, that we would read as we drove along. It's fun to recall a few of them.

The safest rule
No ifs or buts
Is to drive like
Everyone else is nuts.
A guy who drives
A car wide open
Is not thinking
He's just hoping.
Remember this so
You'll be spared
Trains don't whistle
Because they're scared.
At school zones
Heed instructions
Protect our little
Tax deductions.
If hugging on highways
Is your sport
Trade in your car
For a davenport.
Don't stick your elbow
Out too far,
It might go home
In another car.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays:
April 25---Troy LaRon Freesemann
April 25---Mia Nelson
April 26---Heidi K. Johnson
April 27---Steve Rodriguez
April 27---Peggy McNeill
April 28---Justin Blackstone
April 29---Kelly Kay (Larson) Seaman
April 30---Kurtis James Larson

Happy Birthday!

More April Birthdays:
April 2---Duane Miller
April 4---Meryl Hansey
April 4---Barb Dewey
April 5---Lorella Grob
April 6---Dusty Meyers (11 years old)
April 9---Richard Johnson (from Oregon)
April 9---Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
April 10---Brenda (Anderson) Hill
April 10---Lisa Kae Anderson
April 10---Shawn Ostendorf
April 15---Melinda Miranowski
April 19---Levi Owen Steinhauer (newborn)
April 23---Alyssa Lynn Freesemann (8 years old)
April 23---Miss Kitty (2 years old)

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Thank you for the birthday card. I really liked the cute little kitty in it. I got a birthday card from Aunt Betty with bluebirds flying around in it, too. I LOVE birds! Later today, we're going to have a party with PRESENTS and TREATS! I hope there's ice cream. M-m-m-m! We'll let you know more about the party next week -- and maybe we can get a picture, too.

Miss Kitty
Anchorage, AK

Miss Hetty Says

To Our Readers:

Bulletin 40 and Bulletin 41 and Bulletin 42 and are readable, but not yet searchable, and quite a few recipes and stories have recently been added to the collections, with more on the way. Every back issue will be searchable by the end of April. This project is almost done.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


My daughter Muriel and I were discussing the articles written by our two correspondents from Holland. It is so interesting to hear of their occupations, and to see the beautiful floral photos!

It brought back many memories of my school days when we had to choose a favorite foreign country to research, and I chose Holland. I thought tulips were the most perfectly formed flowers, as at that time the bulbs were not available around here.

I recall the windmills we cut out of construction paper; I chose burgundy with pink vanes. I loved reading of Hans Brinker, skating with his silver skates on the Zyder Zee ... and sympathized with the little boy who stopped the leak in the dike and saved his country. I still picture in my mind the blue and white Delft dishes, the cleanliness of women sweeping their steps and streets, and wearing wooden shoes and white aprons. These impressions of the country are some I remember from my childhood.

Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Once again, a marvelous display of talent, all the way from those faithful ones who provide us with wonderful entertainment to those who are so talented in the way they display the work! Hats off to all of you.

I'm sure glad someone stepped forward with an actual picture of "The Troll" (thanks Betty) 'cause everyone knows that Doug wouldn't have made something like that up!!! (But I do have to add.... Grandma NEVER let ME go into the chicken coop to gather eggs! Maybe it wasn't that I was a pest after all; maybe it was cuz she knew I'd be afraid of the troll!)

Thanks for the wonderful coverage of the wedding event! Fun to see others' pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Patty Henderson
Minnetrista, MN

To my special nephew Dougie,

I have been reading each STORY you have been writing about the fun times my little girls have shown you -- maybe some of it is true -- but as dear little Lisa read the one about you being left up in the tree at Grandma's house, she said, "Mom, Dougie don't tell the truth. We don't have any oak trees behind our house," and you can just imagine the thoughts Stacy had!

Now tell some of the naughty tricks you played on them. I was just inside the house that day that Lisa was behaving herself in the front screened in porch, and her precious pet, Prince, was watching her and you ran in the porch and scared her and Prince put the run on you. Did you have on that striped T-shirt? Must have, because Prince tried to get it off your back.

Oh well, I guess kids will be kids. But what really got my goat was that AUNT GERTRUDE reference in one of the last stories and I don't think it was even about my little ones. I always thought my name was Aunty Gert. Now remember, when you write more stories, tell the truth as good as you can!

Aunty Gert

I love it! And she's right ... I fudge some details ... but let's see Lisa try and deny the part about the board being sabotaged! --Doug

Wow, what a couple of eventful Bulletins I have missed! How harrowing for Kjirsten! I hope she has taken time to give her body rest after such a traumatic experience; such negative experiences can really drain a person. I was sorry to hear of her irreplacable loss of a journal. I wonder if she went through any trash bins in the area of the crime? I suppose it is a bit late now, if she didn't think to do it after it happened.

It sure is neat having TWO European correspondents ... I enjoy everything from Ary and Frans... their photos are captivating.

I love the new Guess photo feature! What a clever concept; I know the answer to #1, of course, but I'm still working on #2, although I suppose staff members are exempt...

Larry's stories continue to get better and better; he is a feather in our cap, indeed.

I'm glad to see that Kim has started contributing again; she does really nice work!

Dan and Gina's wedding looked like a smashing success; congratulations to those two, they look like they are truly a match well-made.

Betty's letter and illustration cracked us up so much we were rolling on the floor! What a lovely reward for our story... it MAY have even inspired a 10th chapter... We'll have to see about that!

Douglas Anderson-Jordet
St. Cloud, MN


Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions of The Bulletin in the web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same. --Sir Philip Gibbs

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is dma49261@juno.com

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.