Happy Father's Day!
Walking on the beach with Daddy
Walking on the beach with Daddy (Ashley & Tim Huseby).

Updates -

by Colette Huseby
Tracy, CA

We have been having lots of fun this spring. In early May we spent a couple of days down in Monterey on the beach and at the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. As in previous visits, we were delighted with the beaches, weather, tide pools, and aquarium. New for us this visit was the Dennis the Menace playground, which the kids loved!

Last weekend, we went camping for the first time since having kids. One of Tim's co-workers told us about a place just east of Groveland, outside of Yosemite. Although it wasn't the kind of place that would have held lots of appeal before, this time, with young children, it turned out to be a really good place for us. The campground was small (12 sites) and empty during the day, filling up only at night with the overflow from Yosemite. Tim took his quad along and found great riding right out of the campground. The kids did well and it was the first time I was happy to not have a lake or river nearby.

On Wednesday, we celebrated Ashley's 2nd birthday. She loved the kitty card -- thanks! It was a small scale birthday, but she was thrilled with some of the simple things like the Happy Birthday sign on the door and the singing hampster. Tomorrow we will celebrate a bit more with her closest in age playmate, Justus, and his family. Bryce and Linnea Lassiter also have a son who is very close in age to Erik, so we decided to invite them for dinner in lieu of a party.

On June 28/29 we'll be traveling to Minnesota for our whirlwind week of visiting. Our plans during our visit include Colette traveling out to Marietta for an all-school reunion and then joining Tim, kids, and grandparents at Tim's sister's cabin for the Fourth of July holiday and fireworks. We'll be in the Twin Cities the remainder of the time... it goes so fast!!!

Erik starts pre-school on August 2nd and turns 4 on August 8. So our summer is full and we are having fun. Please visit us if you are in our area -- and that is a big area (San Francisco/ San Jose/ Sacramento).

Tim, Colette, Erik, & Ashley Huseby

Ashley & Erik share her birthday cake, left; in a giant clam shell, right.

by Brenda Hill
Wahpeton, ND

It has been WAY too long since you've heard from our corner of the world. We enjoy reading The Bulletin, but don't too often make the time to contribute.

My 10th year of teaching kindergarten ended on May 25th this year. On May 27th, our foster daughter, Summer, returned to her biological parents full-time. One of the hardest things was going through her clothes, toys, etc. and packing up the things she would take with her. She had been a part of our family for 15 months. We miss her! Jazmine got out an extra set of paints the other day, "case Mummer comes," she said.

The day after Summer left, Jazmine turned 2!! She is now taking over for Summer as the "big sister" in our family. She has also been trying to remember to use the toilet now "like a big girl" and loves to play and work outside.

Jazmine also loves her little brother, Jonathan, who is nearly 6 months old now. Jonathan is trying to sit, roll over, and has just recently started eating baby cereal. He is a very good-natured baby!

I am home with the kids this summer. Nathan's work schedule allows him to be home Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, which is very nice. We like to go bike riding as a family (and stop at the park and/or Dairy Queen) with Nathan riding his own bike and me pulling a bike trailer with the two kids in it! We got rained out of our first camping trip, but are planning another one in July to Maplewood (MN) State Park.

All for now!

Nathan, Brenda, Jazmine, and Jonathan Hill

Jonathan Hill, left; Jazmine Hill, right.

UPDATE -- Family Time
by Wyatt Johnson
Moorhead, MN

We spent last weekend in the Twin Cities, as we attended Jolene's cousin's wedding on Saturday. We figured since we were down there, we might as well take in a Twins game.

We left Moorhead around 1 p.m. Friday, making stops in Dalton (for our hotel reservation information from Jolene's parents), and in Ashby (to drop the dog off at the farm), and another in Ashby (Jolene's brother Todd and his family were following us down). We continued on to Maple Grove, stopping to pick up Weston and Coni at about 5:45, as they were going to the game, too.

We got to the parking lot around 6:30, and walked to the Metrodome. I was getting antsy, as I'd never missed a first pitch at a game we went to, but it was starting to get close. We went to the Will Call window to pick up our tickets, and found the gate where we had to enter. The line was HUGE!! The Yankees were in town, and most of Minneapolis was apparently at the game (over 41,000 people, we later found out). We waited patiently, finally getting into the dome.

Our seats were behind home plate, in the upper deck, in row 29. Knowing a little about the dome, I knew that would be a ways up. We found our stairway, and started climbing ... and climbing .... and climbing ...... and ........ climbing ......... finally, three rows from the back, row 29. As we sat down, and looked up, Kyle Lohse wound up and delivered the first pitch of the game. Perfect timing! It ended up a great game, with the Twins coming from behind to beat the villainous Bronx Bombers.

Saturday, we attended the wedding, leaving fairly early, as we had three kids (and a dad) who wanted to swim in the pool at our hotel! We did some swimming Saturday night, and some more Sunday morning, before hitting the Albertville outlet malls and heading back home.

My Canada fishing trip is coming up in just over a week, so I'll have another update sometime the week of June 27th, hopefully!


From left: Brooklynn & Rylie Johnson, Grant & Vincent Finkelson.

UPDATE -- Ben and Heather Henderson
by Heather Henderson
Lilydale, MN

Well, where do I begin? First I will introduce myself. I am Heather Henderson, Ben Henderson's wife. Ben is a son to Curt and Patty Henderson. That makes us the grandchildren of Don and Dorothy Anderson.

Ben and I have been the busiest that we have ever been for the past 2-3 months and continue to find ourselves wrapped up in the business of life.

We graduated from North Dakota State University (NDSU) in Fargo on May 13th.

The day after that, we ran the Fargo 1/2 marathon. During that weekend, we also moved out of our apartment, and with the help of many, hauled our stuff down to Glencoe to store it. After we got our stuff stored away, we camped out at Curt and Patty's house until Wednesday (May 18th). That night, we took off for our Europe trip. As I look back on that weekend, I'm not sure how we did it! We will tell you about our trip in a separate report.

Now we have moved into our apartment in Lilydale, Minnesota, and are trying to settle in! Ben starts his work June 13th and is very excited to work for Kimley-Horn and Associates, which is a civil engineering firm. I am just "nesting" and will look for a job later on in the summer.

The following is our new contact information:

Ben and Heather Henderson
1013 Sibley Memorial Highway Apt. #122
Lilydale, MN 55118

We are planning on getting a landline; will let everyone know the number later.

Hope this finds everyone doing well.

Day to Day R
With Donna Mae
Ashby, MN

Flag Day

The American Legion invited the Ashby Girl Scouts to participate in Flag Day on Tuesday, June 14th. They had a program to destroy the worn and unusable flags that people bring in to the Legion. Caity and her friend Jeanette Evavold were the only two in attendance for watching the ceremony.

Caity, Jeanette, Johnny Swenson, Ed Evenson, David Ford, Richard Walton & Al Boe.

Theatre L' Farm presented Snow White and the One Dwarf this week. It was enjoyed by all present. Thanks to the cast for their fine performance. We look forward to future productions.

Sleepy Dwarf (Kerstyn Schroeder), Snow White, (Caitlynn Chap) & the Evil Queen (Meredith Turner).

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.
(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn.)

How many can you identify?

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

What a delightful surprise in the "Who Is" section of today's Bulletin! I don't know who the picture on the left is, but the one on the right would be my Greg and Jennie Dake!! I always thought they were the cutest kids in the world! (Grin!) That is just the mom in me speaking.

As I looked at that picture (through some tears), I realized Jennie's little Ethan and Carolyn are just about that size right now. How time does fly and the generations move us on!

Carolyn Miller Dake
Duluth, GA

The Mystery pictures this week are myself, [Donna Anderson Johnson] as a baby and Aunt Mavis [Anderson Morgan] on the left. On the right, Jennie and Greg Dake.

Donna Johnson
Ashby, MN

The guessing game is Mavis Anderson Morgan and Donna Mae Anderson Johnson on the first one.

Mavis Morgan
Hope, ND

My guess for this week's mystery picture ... Mavis with Donna (the first one) and Dake relatives on the other one, maybe?

Brenda Hill
Wahpeton, ND

LTD Storybrooke

The Long Ride
By Larry Dake
Part Eight

I poured diesel power to the drive wheels in hopes of pulling the trailer out of it; but instead, all the wheels on my side of the tractor-trailer were coming up off the roadway! I had the strange sensation of being suddenly elevated and tipped!

O-o-o-over s-s-she goes!

Anticipating the sudden impact of the tractor-trailer crashing down on its side, I took a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel!

But, instead of crashing down, it stopped tipping! The truck balanced there at an impossible angle!

I was left hanging in my seatbelt -- half tipped!

Unsnapping the belt, I pushed the door up and forward and climbed out onto the bottom corner of the cab. I hesitated before jumping down to the ground, because, it seemed as though the truck might go all the way over when my weight was subtracted from the incredible equation that must be keeping it so precariously balanced.

I had left the rest stop on I-5 that morning and traveled on down the freeway to Oregon State Highway #20, which took me east through the town of Sweet Home, and then up into the foothills of the Cascades. From there I followed a one lane field road off the pavement into the pines.

The road wound around and getting my extra-long trailer around these curves was a bit like threading a needle. The single lane field roads had narrow ditches on both sides; the ditches were about three feet wide and had water flowing in them.

Eventually, as I had been told, I came upon a crew of men who were harvesting and baling Christmas trees. Each tree was being fed into a baler that pushed the branches together while wrapping the tree in twine.

The laborers were mostly Spanish speaking Mexican men. Many of them wore heavy duty yellow raincoats. Oregon ships an estimated eight million Christmas trees each year. Many of the trees weigh up to150 pounds, and the seasonal activity creates a demand for seasonal help.

While the trees were being baled, and the truck loaded, I crawled into my bunk to catch some zzzs. I was to deliver the trees to a Christmas tree lot in Denver, 1,356 miles away. It would be a several day drive.

When they banged on my door to tell me the truck was loaded, I was sound asleep.

Still groggy, I slipped behind the wheel and pulled out onto the narrow field road on which I had come in.

At the first bend in the road, my rear duals on the rider's side started slipping into the ditch.

This is when I tried to "power out" -- to get the rear duals back up and out of the ditch. But with the weight of the load shifted onto the right-rear tandem, which was now mired down in mud, the tractor portion of the truck also slid in!

When all the wheels on the riders's side went down, the top-heavy truck was destined to tip; all the wheels on the opposite side came up.

But the tops of the sinking wheels came to rest against the outside edge of the narrow ditch, and suddenly the truck stopped tipping! In effect, the wheels were jammed into the ditch so the truck couldn't tip all the way over.

That's when I climbed up out of the cab and jumped off to survey the predicament I was in. Standing upright next to the truck, and seeing a full view of its underside, was a bit disconcerting!

It looked as though it could still go over at any minute.

Even back in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, the half tipped truck drew a crowd of experts. Not only was my truck teetering on edge, it was blocking the single lane road from other trucks coming in. One of those truckers advised me to call a wrecking service he knew of that would put inflatable pillows under the truck, which pillows, when inflated, would lift the truck upright.

Ouch! That sounded pretty expensive; and could take a day or two.

Presently, the tree-farmer rolled up in a four-wheel drive John Deere tractor. He attached a chain to the chassis of the trailer and snugged it up to keep the load from going over. Soon a second farm tractor arrived and we hitched it to the front of the truck.

With all three of us pulling together, we were able to ease the truck forward and -- after a few precarious starts -- it came up and out of the mud, and back onto the roadway.

Whew! That was worthy of one big sigh of relief!!!

The tree farmers unhooked their chains, and with a wave of the hand they were off. And I was back on the road -- no damage, no expense, and still on schedule!

Cow Tales
By Beaver

The cows had been eating hay for seven months, and were craving grass. It was time to get them to the pasture. We usually turn them into a small wooded pasture, and then just have to get them across the county road to get to the main pastures. This year, three surly bulls occupied the wooded pasture, and I had little desire to try to corral them so the cows could go through unmolested. The plan was to bring the cows from the calving area through another woods to the driveway, and then herd them down the county road to the pasture.

Everyone except Ben had abandoned the farm for the weekend, so I enlisted the help of Ed Evenson to stop cars and turn the cattle the right way on the county road. Ben drove the ATV through the cowherd, tossing handfuls of corn on the ground. With a great deal of mooing and cavorting, sixty cows and their calves followed him out the gate, up the driveway, and down the county road. My job was to keep any errant critters from going the wrong way on the driveway, and to make sure all the calves came along.

Several minutes after the herd had passed by my post, three bewildered cows came out of the woods, and followed the herd. I thought we had them all, and followed them on foot, catching a ride with Ed when I got to the county road. We followed them down the county road in his pickup and watched them go through the pasture gate. Some knot-head made the comment, "That went pretty good."

Several hours later, as I was blading the potholes out of the driveway, I met three calves, nonchalantly sauntering up the driveway. I killed the engine, and sat quietly on the tractor. The calves walked right by me, up the driveway, and down the county road to the pasture gate. I quickly exchanged my tractor for the ATV and followed. I opened the pasture gate and they walked right in, like they knew where they were going. Some knot-head said to himself, "That went pretty good."

The next afternoon, Ben noticed that there was still a cow in the calving pasture. She had been hiding in the brush, and had a bad case of foot rot, causing her to limp badly. Ben and I got her into the corral and gave her a shot of antibiotic. Since her calf had no doubt followed the herd to the pasture and was now starving, we loaded her in the trailer and hauled her to the pasture. Some knot-head said to Ben, "That went pretty good."

Next morning there was a hungry calf bellowing his little lungs out in the calving pasture. Yup, it was Mrs. Foot Rot's calf. We'll never know where he was when we were rounding up his mother. Usually, the cow would bellow back and they would find their way to each other, going over, under, or through fences as necessary. No doubt the cow wasn't feeling well, and hadn't started to miss her calf.

I tried gently herding the calf toward the pasture with the ATV. He needed to go south, but as soon as he got a little nervous, he headed north, into the brush. Having learned the hard way that an ATV will go faster than a calf, but a calf can go places where an ATV can't go, and a panicky calf can easily end up in the next township, I gave it up. Now I had a real problem.

There was no way to get the cow home without bringing the entire herd home, which would involve dealing with the aforementioned surly bulls as well as with cows who would think they were being taken back to eat hay again. The calf would starve eventually, not being old enough to live on grass. I decided to keep a close watch on the calf, and if he got weak enough for an old guy to catch, I would haul him to his mother.

Early the next morning, I looked for the calf, but couldn't find him. I figured he was hiding out in the brush, and I might never see him again. When I headed out the driveway with the pickup, there he was, strolling up the driveway like he knew where he was going. He looked like he might try to get through the fence to join the surly bulls, but must have decided they didn't look like his mother. I followed him down the county road, and left him by the pasture fence, knowing he would find a way to crawl through.

The next time I saw the calf, he was with his mother, nursing happily.

Mrs. Foot Rot is still, hopefully, recovering from her sore foot. If she makes a full recovery, I'll be able to say, "That went pretty good."

Travelogue t

The Bolivian Beat
By Kjirsten Swenson

Photo Editor's Note: Kjirsten returned to Bolivia for a second year of independent study, prior to entering medical school at Baylor University in Houston later this summer. She has recently been trekking in Peru with her father, Sheldon, older brother Shane and his friend Marshall, and her younger brother Tyler, and his friend Greg. Thanks to Shane, who supplied this week's photos.

Mule trekking in Peru -- just a little different than Orange County...

Yesterday I met Shane [Kjirsten's older brother] and Marshall [Shane's friend] at the airport, and we took a cab straight to the bus station and boarded one for the trip to Huaraz, around 400 km north of Lima, Peru. we arrived last evening with time to make trekking arrangements. We hired a mule man and three mules or donkeys, and then finished making plans over a tasty dinner of typical Peruvian food.

We're about to head to the market to buy food for six trekkers and one mule man for an 8-day adventure! We shall eat oatmeal in the morning, sandwiches with either veggies or peanut butter and jelly for lunch, and jazzed soup for dinner. The mountains outside of Huaraz are very beautiful and we're excited to start hiking.


We have arrived safely in Huaraz. Unfortunately the group of three (Shane, Marshall and Kjirsten) had time to read trekking books and have plotted a change of plans. Instead of hiking the more sedate Santa Cruz trail, which is only four days and tops out around 14,700 feet, they have decided we should get away from all of the other hikers and their garbage, noise, etc. and hike the higher, more rugged, Alpamayo Trail. I felt it was my parental duty to at least protest mildly and have done so, to no avail. So Alpamayo, it is.

Eight days instead of four and hiking at much higher altitude and getting there much more quickly. We start out at the same starting point and the first day will not be bad, about 11 km and climb about 1,000 feet.

Day Two is the big, bad day of the trek. I am not sure of the distance, but we will climb about 5,000 feet and then must descend a bit to camp around 14,500 to 15,000 foot range.

Most of the rest of the trek will be around 15,000 feet. Shane is already plotting some side trips to higher elevations that promise excellent views of very high mountains, if the weather cooperates. I suspect I will be using a Thermarest chair to rest up while he pretends he is a goat. He thinks I am a wimp for complaining a bit when we haven't even started to feel the pain.

So we have shopped at various markets and stores. We have two big gunnysacks of staples. We will be living on oatmeal, hot chocolate and tea for breakfast; 100 pieces of Peruvian whole wheat bread, from a bakery, for sandwiches (kind of a cross between a hamburger and hotdog bun, shapewise, but much better quality), for lunch; and then soup for supper with mashed potato flakes or pasta and vegetables thrown in and more hot chocolate and tea. We have some chocolate and dried fruit type snacks to munch while hiking, as needed.

They say there is a hot spring at the end of the trek, so we look forward to that. Then a 7-1/2 hour bus ride back to Huaraz. I suspect we will do the Santa Cruz hike after Shane and Marshall leave and we recover a bit.

Tyler and Greg are doing well. They have enjoyed their opportunities to e-mail their friends and missing five days of school. So we leave tomorrow a.m. and hope to reappear in about eight days.

Hasta Luego,


Demetrio and his burro pack food for the journey.

After arriving in Huaraz and recovering from our travel with a good night's sleep, we loaded up with food for a week in the mountains. Marshall practices for a future career as a burro, right photo, and carries the bag. Tyler tries to look nonchalant while Kjirsten rings the bell at the hostel. Our arriero (muleteer) for the week was a local campesino named Demetrio, left photo. He provided three burros (donkeys) to make our lives much, much easier. For footwear, he used sandals made from recycled tires. They're nice and short so he can use his toes for extra traction.

Part One
by Sheldon Swenson, Guest Columnist

We just completed the most interesting mountain trek I have ever experienced. I'll try to document the experience while it's still relatively fresh in my mind as we rest up for one more Peru trek before returning home.

First a little history to set the tone. Kjirsten and I began planning this trip about 15 months ago while backpacking in Patagonia a year ago last December. We thought it would be fun to meet in Peru and trek before she returns home to prepare for starting medical school this coming August. Tyler and his friend Greg, Shane and his friend Marshall from San Diego, and myself all met in Lima May 25th. We would've liked to include Mitzi and Derek, but it didn't work out for them to participate in this adventure.

An eight hour bus ride took us from Lima to the mountain city of Huaraz where we acclimatized for a day, bought food, and arranged for a muleteer and three mules to carry food and gear. The altitude is too high and the routes involve too much up and down to make trekking with heavy packs enjoyable.

The mules, capable of carrying about 100 lbs. each, cost only about $10 per day, so were quite a bargain. I had been planning an easier four to five day trek to slowly ease into it, but Shane and Marshall only had eight days to hike, so we chose a more difficult seven day trek involving higher altitude, longer distance, but more solitude and maybe more spectacular scenery.

To be continued...

Burghers of Calais, left; Covent Garden entertainment, right.

Wednesday In London
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

The day after our trip to Bath, my cousin Kristie and I were in the mood for less hectic activities on Wednesday. After sleeping in that morning, Kristie, Ben and I headed for central London without much of a plan. Our first stop was at Covent Garden, an outdoor market featuring shops, restaurants, street performers and booths selling a variety of wares, ranging from handmade soaps to various arts and crafts to touristy items such as T-shirts and coffee mugs.

After perusing the various offerings, I almost purchased a mug commemorating the wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla Parker Bowles, for comedy's sake, but couldn't bring myself to part with 10 pounds ($20) for such an item. Instead I just bought a couple of other gifts to bring back home.

We spent the morning shopping and watching the street performers, one of whom can be seen in one of the pictures (wearing a black bandana in the middle of a gathered crowd). We then stopped by a small restaurant near the market, where we ate a lunch of pasties, which are pockets of dough filled with meat, potatoes and onions in a thick broth. They were very tasty, and upon returning to the States, I bragged about pasties, the great new food I ate over in London, only to find out that not only do we have pasties over here, but apparently everyone except me KNOWS we have them over here. I guess I lead a sheltered life.

After our lunch, we walked to the Palace of Westminster, also known as the Houses of Parliament. The Palace was originally built around 1097, but much of the current structure was replaced in the 1800's following a major fire. The attention to detail in the building's architecture is amazing. Despite its massive size, nearly every square inch seems to be decorated with some sort of spire, statue or other design sculpted into its stone walls.

On one end of the Palace is the Clock Tower, the home of Big Ben, which is actually the name of the one of the bells in the Tower, not the Tower itself. On the other end is the Victoria Tower, which holds the Parliamentary Archives and can be seen in the background of the attached picture of Rodin's sculpture, The Burghers of Calais, which is located in an adjacent park.

Public tours were not available when we visited, so we didn't get to see the inside of the Houses of Parliament, but we spent some time walking around the building, enjoying the beauty of its architecture and its riverside location.

Next, we walked across the street to Westminster Abbey, a massive church built in 960. To call Westminster Abbey a church is like calling London a town -- the word doesn't really do it justice. In addition to being a functioning church with hourly prayer services throughout the day, it has been the site of every royal coronation since the 11th century, including the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. More recently, it hosted the funerals of Princess Diana and the Queen Mother. It is also the burial place of countless kings, queens and other dignitaries from 1,000 years of British history. Nearly the entire inside of the building is filled with ornate tombs and memorials.

The Abbey's interior also features ornate, vaulted ceilings which soar to breathtaking heights. One wing of the building even had a large mirror lying horizontally on a table, allowing visitors to view the intricate design of the ceiling without having to crane our necks upward. Cameras are not allowed in the Abbey, so I can't share any pictures of its interior. The pictures below, showing the intricate details of the outside walls of the Abbey near the tourist entrance, will have to suffice.

Following our walk through the Abbey, we walked past the Houses of Parliament to catch a bus back to Ben's apartment. As we waited at the bus stop, Big Ben rang in a new hour with his famous chimes. While I was standing there thinking about how cool it was to be hearing Big Ben in person, it struck me as funny that the local residents who were just standing at the bus stop waiting for their ride home from another day at work probably noticed Big Ben's song about as much as they noticed a horn honk from a taxi -- just an every day occurrence for someone who is there all the time.

Eventually our bus arrived and took us home, where Ben cooked us a delicious Indian dinner featuring a chicken and curry dish. I can definitely say that is the first (and probably last) time I have eaten Indian food prepared by a half-Norwegian half-Dutch cook while in England!

Westminster Abbey, detail views.

Shawn and Lori on Lake Superior shore at Grand Marais.

Our Weekend Adventure
A Lutsen Getaway - Part Two
by Brian Nordling
Prior Lake, MN

A friend like Lori Chap is a rare and delightful gift. So, when my wife Kristin and I stumbled into accommodations for a long weekend at Lutsen Mountain (on the North Shore of Lake Superior), we asked Lori and Shawn if they could join us. Making it even better was the fact that they brought Caity and Jayce along too. They'd keep my sons Keith and Kyle happy and entertained. Plus, being that Friday was Keith's 5th birthday, it was great to have some more kids to help him celebrate.

We all hustled out of work as early as possible on Thursday to hit the road (with the exception of Lori, who spent the day at the pool with Caity and Jayce). It was nearly 11 p.m. by the time we got to the resort. With three SUVs full of supplies, it took us a while to get unloaded. While Shawn and I "re-hydrated" from all that hauling, everyone else quickly went to sleep.

Friday morning the ladies decided that we should head for Grand Marais. We have some more good pictures of it posted on my website (http://www.nordlings.com/lutsenjune.html) When we got to Grand Marais, we were drawn to the lighthouse. We walked all the way out to it and even climbed up to see if it was open (it wasn't).

After a picnic lunch and a bite of ice cream at Sven and Ole's Pizza Parlor, we were headed back to Lutsen to celebrate Keith's birthday, which consisted of dinner, pin the tail on the donkey, cake, presents, and a long soak in the hot tub after the kids were in bed.

Saturday provided just enough good weather to allow us to take a trip up the gondola/tram. At the top of Moose Mountain, we posed for photos at the observation deck and then took a nice hike down one of the trails. From there, we took a few rides down the Alpine Slide. Caity was the only kid old enough to ride alone, although she wasn't sure that was such a good idea at first. My kids liked the ride up the chair lift more than the ride down the slide, I think.

We headed back for lunch, then the rain rolled in. So, the rest of Saturday was spent enjoying the cabin and a quick trip to the indoor pool. It was quite a sight, with all ten of us loaded into my Durango for the short ride to the main resort building (that photo is on my website as well).

Saturday night Shawn taught us his famous horse racing dice game. (I can't remember the name of it.) Sorry I took all your money, guys. Actually, Shawn might have thrown the game just so he could go to sleep earlier -- he played harder in the pool than the little kids did.

We are thankful for the chance to spend time with our dearest friend, get to know Shawn better, and provide the opportunity for all the kids to become better pals. Kyle, my 2-1/2 year old (and Lori's godchild), was a bit cranky on the way home because he wanted to go back to the cabin. Although I was trying to get him excited about getting back home, I was a bit cranky to leave as well.

Kristin and I enjoy reading The Bulletin, and keeping tabs on those of you who we've had the pleasure of getting to know over the past 14 years or so.

Keep up the good work!

Caity & Jayce Chap, left; Brian, Keith, Kyle & Kristin Nordling, right.

This and That
by Elaine Wold
Wahpeton, ND

Father's Day

When I think of Father's Day, I often reflect on some things I learned from him ... things that have stayed with me all my life.

I learned from my dad about the love and care for animals, as I helped with the chores in the barn and with the chickens. I remember the little pigs or lambs kept warm behind the kitchen stove as we nursed them along when born.

I learned respect for the elderly, as he reminded me that I would be old some day, too. Having patience and helping older people and the Dwight widows was a part of his life.

He taught me to keep trying. When Mom was in the hospital, DeLoris and I missed school to take care of baby Dwight and tend the house while she had surgery. We were young but we tried making lefse ... and it flopped. Elwood teased us about it ... but just then Dad came in and said, "I give you credit for trying, don't quit!"

He taught me the love of growing things, and enjoying nature, as I love to raise gardens and flowers, even yet. I watch that each day as he watched his crops grow.

I learned from him about caring for the sick. I remember taking oranges to a sick person, and oranges were something we could seldom afford for ourselves. He often visited the sick, took food to the home, sat with families during visitations which took place in the homes in those days, always taking some eggs, milk, cream, or meat or other food along for the family.

I learned from him that he would lend me money to go to teachers' college that summer, but I would have to pay him back. I learned that everything comes with a price, not to be casually given or wasted.

He taught me to work hard and always be honest in it, as he had picked chickens for two cents each, worked hard at the Dwight Farm, and hauled railroad ties to burn in our stove. At his death someone told us, "He was a hard-working, honest Dane!"

He taught me tenderness. As a very sick little girl one day, he came home from work on that dark winter evening, with a little ring for me, with a blue stone. I know he was concerned that I was sick. Another time he gave a shiny dime to a little girl whose grandmother had died, and we knew that dime was a great treasure!

Each of us can tell stories of what our dad meant to us. This is a day to reflect on those things again!

By Dorothea Robisch

Who worked so hard and saved so long
For what we have today?
And any time will sacrifice
His chance to rest or play?

Who always sees his children have
The things he did without?
And give so much, unselfishly,
For that's what love's about.

Who thinks and plans and struggles too,
As nobly as he can,
To set a good example, and
Be a respected man?

Who seeks no honors, no rewards,
For all that he has done?
Except to raise a family,
The very finest one.

Though we cannot evaluate
Our dad, his love, his worth.
To us, he'll always be "just Dad,"
The greatest guy on earth.

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Special Days
June 19---Father's Day
June 21---Summer begins

This Week's Birthdays:
June 19---Doris Anderson
June 19---Ashley Meyers
June 20---Spencer Aydelotte (11 years)
June 20---Roy Droel
June 20---Julian Montford
June 21---Ary Ommert Jr.
June 24---Aiden Montford (2 years)
June 25---Ben Henderson

Happy Birthday!

This Week's Anniversaries:
June 19---Curt and Patty Anderson Henderson (23 years)
June 20---Rich and Marlene Anderson Johnson (24 years)
June 20---Steve and Marian Miller (35 years)


More June Birthdays:
June 1---Jeremiah Dake
June 4---Merna Hellevang
June 5---Rian de Been
June 7---Shane Swenson
June 8---Ashley Huseby (2 years)
June 16---Gina Henderson
June 18---Caitlynn Mae Chap (9 years)

June 26---Greg Wm. Dake
June 26---De Myers
June 27---Sam Mellon
June 29---Tim Huseby
More June Anniversaries
June 3---Larry and Ginny McCorkell (33 years)
June 6---Wyatt and Jolene Johnson (7 years)
June 7---Clark and Susan Miller Smith (14 years)
June 10---Jim and Kristi Larson Indermark (5 years)
June 18---Jason and Tami Anderson Hunt (1 year)

June Graduations
More June graduations? Please send dates and details to Miss Hetty!

June Special Days
June 14---Flag Day
June 19---Father's Day
June 21---Summer begins

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

To Miss Hetty-

Here is a picture for you. It was taken at the graduation party last Saturday, June 11, at the Hendersons in Minnetrista. It honored our granddaughters Kimberly Johnson and Rachel Henderson. Aren't they pretty (both the cakes and the girls!)?

Don and Dorothy Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Graduates Kimberly Johnson & Rachel Henderson.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Another superb Bulletin! And, you made me think you might not have enough? It was a thoroughly marvelous read! I totally concur with Betty about Larry's writing; he's very talented! Loved hearing from all the rest, too; makes me very glad so many are willing to share ... gives us all a "vacation" while sitting at home.

Keep up the good work, Jerrianne and Mom!

Donna Johnson
Ashby, MN

Jennie and Chris [Horne] are moving from Tucson, Arizona, to Huntsville, Alabama, the end of this month. Jennie will still be working for Raytheon, but it will be a new project for her. We are so excited we can hardly wait. Having them only 4.5 hours away will be wonderful. I would guess we will get to know the freeway between Atlanta and Huntsville very well! Ethan keeps telling me he is moving to Grandma's house. Not quite, but a whole lot closer!!

Thank you, Dorothy, for touching our lives and our hearts every week.

Carolyn Miller Dake
Duluth, GA

I was just absorbing a little more of The Bulletin (it takes me a few days as there's lots to read) and noticed we need to add Gina's birthday to the list. She was born June 16, 1985 and I will add Heather's too... July 29, 1983. Another great Bulletin... I LOVED the photo funnies; Rachel and I laughed out loud for a few minutes on that one... Thanks to all of you who spend so much time for the rest of us... We appreciate your efforts!

Patty Henderson
Minnetrista, MN


Click here to find out Who's Where in The Bulletin l

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Click here for past editions of The Bulletin in the web archive

Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

QUOTATION FOR THE DAY: You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. -- Polish Proverb

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is dma49261@juno.com

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.