The Bulletin
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Browse The Bulletin archive index
Home About Archive Recipes Stories Galleries Who's Who Where

Photo illustration © Kimberly Johnson
McKenna Ostendorf at 3 months old.

Photo illustrations © Kimberly Johnson
McKenna & Lori, left; tiny hand, right.

Updates -

Update -- Mark Johnson is doing fine
by Marlene (his Mom)
Acton, CA

Mark got home on Saturday. He's doing great with his two new casts that are below his elbows. We're sending a picture of him with his "buddy" Snort. He's wishing he could have gotten back on him and ridden him.

He informed me that he was going to get back on him when he noticed that his arm was broken. (He didn't know about the other one until he was at the hospital.)

Somebody told him that a real cowboy would only have broken one arm because he would have been holding his hat on with the other one. Guess he should have been wearing a hat. Mark's hoping he can find a job on a ranch next summer. Those broken arms of his haven't discouraged him at all.

Photo © Marlene Johnson
Mark & Snort

Update -- a Quick trip
by Ardis Quick
Roseville, MN

Jason was up for a short visit August 16th - 25th. He spent three days with his girlfriend, Carrie, and her parents in Lutzin.

Jason & Carrie

He came back the 19th and the four of us drove through to Minot, North Dakota, to visit my Grandma, Julia Sigman. It had been years since either of the boys or Charlie had been to Minot. It was a wonderful surprise that she really enjoyed.

Charlie, Travis, Grandma Julia Sigman, Jason, Ardis Quick.

Back: Jason, Ardis, Charlie & Travis Quick; front: Ardis Ester Kingsnorth, Julia Sigman, Ann Jorde.

Ester and Ann are my great aunts. The boys were all surprised at how well Grandma gets around with her walker. On August 26, Grandma turned 99.

Three of us needed to be back to work on Wednesday, so we left Tuesday morning after a short visit. On the way back, we made an even shorter stop to see Charlie's mom in Princeton. Ruth was also surprised at how the boys had grown.

Before Jason went back to Huntsville, we had a "Stop By and Say Hi" get together. Got an opportunity to meet Jason's girlfriend Carrie's parents.

On the way back, we made an even shorter stop to see Charlie's mom in Princeton. Ruth was also surprised at how the boys had grown.

Travis came by with his "new" ride to make his brother jealous. It worked.

Our Quick Trip was a great time and especially when you can visit family.


Update -- phtt-phtt . . .PPPpppssssst. Ptui!
by Capt. Jack Adair
Coon Rapids, MN

Here is my latest "update" contribution for The Bulletin. It just won't be the usual fun-filled, informative, interesting and exciting type of letter that you are used to getting from me. Rufus is on vacation. {On vacation from that vacation!}

First ... the good news! I will be getting my new glasses next week. HUZZAH! Not really a big deal to be writing about. I could handle not being able to read road signs until it was too late to turn off. But it's so bad I can hardly read the "balloons" of type in the comic strips, and that, my friends, is bad news, indeed!

The bad news isn't all that bad either, if you don't mind spending a large chunk of hard-earned money. We had company last week on Wednesday night, and as the humidity was high, and the house a little stuffy, Ginn turned on our big window air-conditioner to clear the air before company came. That old, reliable 35-year-old machine went HHhhmmmmmmm . . . r.n r.n r.n RRRR. . . phtt-phtt . . .PPPpppssssst. Ptui! No more air-conditioner. To shorten an already too-long story, we got central-air installed Monday, and it's great. And now our money vault has lots more room.

While talking to the salesman/installer on Thursday, Ginn went to heat a cup of coffee in our microwave. It gave out with a little squeal before it started and the sales guy said, "Oh, sounds like your (part name) is going out." We decided that as long as it is working for now, we'll use it until it blows completely, and any survivors can purchase a new one.

We don't have a TV, but we do have a tape/CD player that will operate with a remote. Well, guess whose remote went out?

Oh yeah, my computer is acting up again. Often cuts out in the middle of receiving messages, especially with pictures, or will receive all messages twice! Tech support has lots of ideas, but none seem to work so far.

So, how was your day?

Scroll down to the Travelogue to read the rest of the story.

Photo © Ben Johnson
Big farm rigs thoroughly stuck in the mud.

Update -- gearing up for fall
by Ben Johnson
Ashby, MN

It has been quite a while since I have had a moment to get to a computer. Not much change around here.. but here are some of the events I might not have covered. Ashley just started school in Alex again for medical coding and is also holding down a part time job in a state run group home in Elbow Lake.

As for me, I am still working at the Ashby Equity. This year has brought some changes as far as my position there. I am now a year round employee in the farm shop. My duties include custom fertilizer spreading and spraying as well as maintaining a fleet of trucks and equipment.

I am also the bulk fuel deliverer in the fall and winter, which is nice because it gets me out of the shop from time to time. We just had our late summer slow time so we have been preparing equipment for the fall fertilizer season, which should start the week after Labor Day. I am sending a picture of the machines I drive at work. There is a picture of my sprayer in one of the past Bulletins but I will send another picture of it stuck in the mud, as well as the fertilizer spreader we tried to pull it out with. A full swing backhoe was required to dig us out of the mud.

I have also started to have an oversupply of animals in the recent past. I just inherited a horse named Bob from Ashley's step dad. So now I have a cat, a horse, and a yellow Labrador retriever, for domesticated animals. I also have two female deer and three fawns that enjoy grazing in the field in front of my house. But the scary thing is the number is going to grow. I am going to get a baby donkey and, hopefully, another yellow lab.

Last fall I had to put my dog, Jack, down due to bad hips at 10 months old so I decided to get another dog soon after that. The lab I have now, Lucy, broke her leg when she was young and it is too painful for her to hunt so she has become a house dog. Now it turns out a fellow employee has a lab that is due to have pups soon so I talked myself into giving the lab breed one more chance. This will be the third lab I have had in one and a half years.

Other than that, not a whole lot has changed around here.

The Matriarch Speaks W
by Dorothy (Dake) Anderson
Alexandria, MN

Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell; photo by Jennie Horne
Carrie Horne analyzes the ride.

The Bulletin is 5 years old!

I had wondered if we could share the first issue of our family Bulletin with the readers ... but it is such a new idea that it is really five years ago that I sent those young people off to college, that I can hardly think of what would be proper to do to celebrate the five years of publication!

Where have those students all gone? I didn't want to lose track of any of them ... and I do not think we have!

I think we have kept close in that time of "leaving the nest," and now all of those fledglings are flying just fine, and most have their own nests, and some are busy raising more babies for us to coo over!

Time goes on, and so does The Bulletin. We have grown in scope, but we still do put family and friends togetherness as priority! Thanks, everyone, for making this a successful undertaking.

The Matriarch

Editors' Note: Bulletin #1 had six subscribers; this Bulletin #273 has more than 120 e-mail subscribers, plus additional readers who find it on the web. Circulation continues to grow.

Who Is This?

Let's Play a Guessing Game: Whenever it is handy to do so, we will run a picture of someone of the subscribers or staff members of our e-magazine. Tell us who you think it is -- we will let you know who was the first to guess it right -- and the correct guess -- in the following week's Bulletin.

(Send us some to run; we will line them up in our staging area to take their turn. Ruth Weiland Kitto supplied last week's mystery picture.

How many can you identify?
(Click here for larger close-up in a new browser window.)

Answers to last week's mystery pictures (click here to review them):

Editors' Note: Correct guesses appear in bold face type and incorrect guesses in normal type.

What a surprise to see the wedding picture of my dear brother Harold Weiland and his dear wife, Anita Pfingsten Weiland. Thanks for sharing that. As usual, the pictures people so kindly share bring back many memories!

Ruth (Weiland) Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

I never will forget that day. Richard sure knows, also, there is quite a story that goes with that day. Rich had written it up but somehow it got misplaced. It's our wedding picture, Harold and Anita Pfingsten Weiland -- January 9, 1959. It sure brought a lump to my throat and my heart skipped a beat.

Anita Pfingsten Weiland
Yankton, SD

The mystery guests are Harold and Anita Weiland on their wedding day. I think it was in January, but don't know the day!

Harold reminded me of Elvis.

Judy Riesenberg
Great Falls, MT

WOW, WHAT A SURPRISE to see the GUESS picture this time! Harold Weiland and Anita Miller/Pfingsten Weiland on their wedding day. My very dear brother Harold, who died an untimely death just 13 days after getting a pneumonia/flu. And Anita, that he always called his "bride." They had a very deep love between them. So, my guess is hardly accountable, being it's my brother. Anita lives in Yankton, South Dakota. The Guess picture feature is one I appreciate very much, Editors, as I am of the era that a lot of the pictures are from.

Betty Weiland Droel
MoundsView, MN

Memory Lane

Harold & Anita Pfingsten Weiland

When Harold And Anita Weiland Got Married
by Rich Weiland
Coon Rapids, MN

I have been asked by the Matriarch to recall a few days in my life that happened well over 40 years ago, but between Anita and I, we were able to resurrect a bit of the days.

Actually, it was back in January of 1959. (I am hardly that old.) My brother, Harold Weiland, was dating a young lady from out near Litchfield, Minnesota -- Grove City, to be exact. She was the daughter of Henry and Lenore (Miller) Pfingsten. Things kind of escalated over time and wouldn't you know it, they decided to tie the knot. So, being young kids, they didn't have a lot of funds, but they would make do with what was there. Harold had completed welding school at Vocational High School in Minneapolis and Anita was a Licensed Practical Nurse, so there were jobs available.

They were ready for the big step and couldn't wait any longer. Once you got a marriage license in Minnesota, there was a five-day waiting period before you could get married. There were no waiting periods in Iowa or South Dakota, so one of those would be the place they would get married. You needed two witnesses, so Harold asked me if I would stand up for him. Our mother was not so keen on the idea, but Harold was of age, so he didn't need her signature. She wasn't too sure that I should go along because I was just 16. Anita selected her cousin Diane Tiemans to be her witness. This marriage decision was made and no sense waiting around any longer.

Friday, January 9, 1959, was the day that was to be the wedding day. Thursday, around midnight, Harold, Anita, Diane and I jumped in Harold's 1953 blue Oldsmobile and headed for the Iowa border.

Well, driving at night in the winter is interesting. The temperature was rather balmy for January, but still cold. As we got closer to the Iowa border on Highway 60, the fog started to appear and got thicker and thicker so we could only see a few yards ahead of us. We finally stopped at the border and got out to get a better look at the car. The frost had accumulated on all the chrome. It was really beautiful, as I think of it now, but was a nuisance then. The antenna had about three-fourths of an inch of ice on the leading edge. The car looked like an old man with a beard. Well we still had 60 miles to go to get to Lemars, Iowa.

Harold decided on Lemars because our aunt Lafern lived there and was familiar with some of the judges because she had taken their pictures. She would be able to help us get a Justice of the Peace for the marriage.

We pulled into Lemars around 4 in the morning and decided it was not the time to awaken Lafern, so we found a hotel. I am not sure, but it might have been condemned. Anyway, there was a room available with two double beds and a bath down the hallway. Being low on funds, we decided it was at least a bed for a few hours. The plaster was falling off the walls.

Harold and I took one bed and Anita and Diane took the other. In the morning, the girls took their turn using the bathroom and getting ready for the big day. Then we had our turn. Then it was time to head to Lafern's and see if she could secure us a Justice of the Peace.

We piled back into the car and noticed the orchid Anita was to wear was in the back window, frozen. We had to go to Sioux City to get a blood test and replace the frozen orchid that we brought down. Then back to Lemars to get a judge to get this thing over with. Well, we called and called but none were available.

Finally, in the early afternoon, we decided that there would not be a wedding in Lemars. We had a much better chance of finding a Justice of the Peace in Sioux City. What was there to do but head back to Sioux City? They closed at 5 o'clock, so we'd better hurry. I don't think there was a speed limit; if there was, it surely was not heeded. Part way down, an old mama pig decided to stroll across the highway. Luckily, it was dry roads and we did manage to miss it.

We found a courthouse with a judge that would marry them. So the license was purchased and the judge was waiting. We went into his chambers and said the "I do's" at about five minutes to 5 o'clock. Just under the wire. As we left the judge's chambers, we had to walk through a vacant, echo-y courtroom. Just as we got part way through, I heard my brother exclaim, "I want my mommy!" He was always a card.

We headed back to Lemars where Lafern had a "wedding supper" made for us. I can't tell you what it consisted of, but she always would do it up good. After supper, we all went to her photo studio and had our pictures taken. One of them being the Guess picture in the September 2nd Bulletin. Diane and I stayed at Lafern's overnight while Harold and Anita went to a motel. I think it was better than the one we stayed in early Friday morning. Then, Saturday, we headed back to Minneapolis, to return to work and school on Monday.

There might have been other details that were overlooked, but after 48 years it is hard to recall them. We did have a lot of laughs over that weekend, and many since.

LTD Storybrooke

The Suckling
by Larry Dake

After breakfast, I walked slowly down the aisles in the lambing shed, checking the lambs. If they were standing hunched up, I knew they were likely starving. If the lambs were lying down, I'd grasp them by the skin over their shoulders and lift them to their feet. If they did a nice, full body stretch -- head and shoulders up, hindquarters extended -- I knew they had nursed and were doing well. If they failed to stretch, they were hungry.

If their hides stayed pinched after I'd lifted them to their feet, they were dehydrated. If they were laying flat out on their sides, they were in need of immediate help. If their mouths felt cold to the touch, they needed to spend some time in "intensive care." That meant I would "tube" them and put them into the incubator.

To tube them, I'd slide a reddish brown rubber tube (a catheter) down their throats and into their stomachs.

Before pouring in a couple ounces of warm ewe's colostrum, I'd listen for breathing sounds in the tube to be sure it wasn't in the lamb's lungs. (Pouring milk into a lamb's lungs is curtains for the lamb.) After a starving, hypothermic lamb was successfully tubed, it would go into a large plywood box, heated with a lamp.

With some luck, some of them would revive.

After another tubing, or two, they could be returned to the ewe, at which time they'd usually need to be suckled. Suckling a lamb meant teaching it how to nurse.

Because of the Vibrio infection in the flock, there were many weak and starving lambs that needed suckling. A number of the lambs simply didn't have a will to live.

The foot-rot was also a problem. Some ewes with painful feet were reluctant to stand long enough, or often enough, for the lambs to nurse adequately.

I spent my morning, as I had spent many mornings (and afternoons), on my knees. I wasn't praying. I'd pin a ewe to the side of the jug with my shoulder and attempt to stand the lamb in the right attitude to the udder. Invariably, as I'd take the lamb's head and guide it toward a nipple, it would brace all fours and pull back into a sitting position. I'd hoist the lamb forward again, attempting to stick its nose to the end of the nipple.

The old proverb, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, often came to mind.

Typically, the lamb's mouth would clench tightly shut. Prying the jaws apart with the thumb of one hand, while squirting a stream of milk into its mouth with the other, required finesse and patience. I'd let the taste and smell of the colostrum float around in the little lamb's prehistoric brain for a minute, hoping it might think -- ahh! Milk! -- and begin sucking.

Not usually!

I'd pry the jaws apart again. It's nearly impossible to push a soft nipple into a lamb's mouth from the front. The trick was to slide the full length of the nipple into the lamb's mouth from the side, all the while maintaining traction against the backward struggling of the lamb.

At this juncture, as often as not, the ewe would bolt in circles around me in the tiny pen -- until I was able to regain control and start the delicate procedure all over again. Some ewes would kick violently to knock my hand away. Instead, often as not, they'd knock their lamb in the head. After getting kicked repeatedly, the lambs were not enthused about learning to nurse.

With the nipple reinserted into the side of the lamb's mouth, the hope was that the lamb's sucking reflex would kick in, and it would begin to nurse. This rarely happened. If no sucking action ensued, I'd squeeze the lamb's jaws repeatedly, to give it the hint. This usually only produced two steps back, in this battle for nutrition.

Next, I'd try tickling above the lamb's little rope of a tail, to simulate his mother licking off her new baby. This was the most effective technique. With luck, and perhaps another squirt or two of milk, the little lamb's tail might start wagging and its mouth sucking. The whole process was a little like priming a pump and starting the pump engine. When the lamb's tail started whirling around, there was a feeling of great accomplishment. It was getting colostrum -- the gift of life!

Trouble was, the lamb's "transmission" was still stuck in reverse; its "wheels" were still spinning backwards. One of my hands had to stay firmly behind its head to hold it on the nipple. My other hand continued tickling its tail, if the action slowed. This rather difficult position, in the cramped pen, left me with my head pressed against the ewe's pillowy side. A symphony of gurgles, bubbles, and other curious sounds played in my ear. A ewe has four stomachs, and they all seem to make music.

If the ewe relaxed a bit, and the lamb got right down to business, this was a magic, blissful time. Sometimes I'd even doze off into ba-ba-land, while the lamb tanked up on its mother's milk.

Travelogue t

Photo © Weston Johnson
Winchester House Roofs

Where In The World Is Weston? S
Winchester House And A Winery
Part 7
by Weston Johnson
Maple Grove, MN

After our trip to Monterey on Saturday, Sindy and I still had another day to entertain ourselves before the All Star Game festivities began. After perusing the tourism brochures in our hotel's lobby, we narrowed our options down to the Winchester House or the local wineries. In the end, we decided that neither seemed like an all-day activity, so we decided to do both.

The Winchester House was our first stop. I'm not sure how to begin describing the Winchester House. It is the product of a marriage between unbounded creativity and limitless wealth. And by "unbounded" creativity, I mean creativity that is not restricted by sanity. Perhaps all great artists are a little crazy, but the designer of the Winchester House took that notion to the extreme.

The deranged brain behind the Winchester House belonged to Sarah Winchester, heiress to the Winchester fortune, which was amassed primarily through the sale of the rifles bearing the family's name. After the death of her daughter in 1866 and her husband in 1881, Mrs. Winchester understandably fell into a period of depression. As a means of breaking free from her misery, she consulted a medium to help her communicate with the spirits.

The medium informed Mrs. Winchester that her troubles were caused by the spirits of the thousands of people who had been killed by the products of her family's business. The only way to right this wrong, she explained, was to build a home capable of housing all of those disgruntled spirits.

At this point, I think it's safe to say that your average person would have hung up the phone and rue the $1.99 per minute they had wasted on Miss Cleo's fine advice. But not Sarah Winchester. "Building such a house would be crazy," she must have thought. "Just crazy enough to work!"

So, in 1884, the construction of the Winchester House began, and would continue 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for the remaining 38 years of Sarah's life. The end result was a sprawling, 160-room Victorian mansion. But this is not your garden variety, 160-room Victorian mansion like the one on the corner in your neighborhood. The Winchester House is full of bizarre quirks, including a stairway that leads directly to the ceiling and several doors that lead nowhere. No one seems to know quite why Mrs. Winchester incorporated these unique features into her house. Perhaps to confuse all of those spirits roaming around the place.

While some of the house's strange features seem completely useless, some were actually designed with a specific purpose. In several locations throughout the house, a staircase that would normally consist of five or six steps up to a landing, instead consists of 20 or 30 tiny steps with two-inch risers. These tiny staircases form a hairpin curve as they slowly ascend to the next floor. As our tour guide explained, these steps made it easier for Sarah navigate through her house, as she was arthritic and stood short of five feet tall.

Another design feature that was probably quite useful was windows that allowed Sarah to peer from the upper floors down into the kitchens on the ground level. She used these windows to spy on the hired help to ensure they were doing their jobs properly. And apparently she had no problem firing these poor workers on the spot for the smallest of transgressions.

While the Winchester House is known primarily for its strangeness, it also includes many of the fineries one would expect to see in the home of a millionaire heiress. Intricate wood work adorns many of the stairways, while fine, imported wallpapers line several rooms. Beautiful stained glass windows allowed colorful light to stream through much of the house.

The most striking room is the grand ballroom, whose floor and walls consist of what appears to be thousands of inlaid wood pieces. The ballroom also features an elaborate pipe organ that would have been used to entertain guests. Mrs. Winchester spent the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of present day dollars on this single room, but because she was an extreme recluse, she rarely if ever actually hosted guests, leaving this beautiful room abandoned most of the time.

Near the end of our tour, the guide asked the group whether any of us would like to lead the group back to the main entrance of the house. She had no takers. Then, she asked if any of us even knew which general direction we'd have to walk to get there. This time, the only responses she garnered were a few guesses that did not carry much confidence on the part of those offering them. After an hour spent winding through the various winding halls and staircases of the house, we were all thoroughly disoriented. Thankfully, our guide took pity on us and led us back out into the California sun.

Photos © Weston Johnson
Kitchen spy window in door, left; low-rise staircase, right.

After the mansion tour, Sindy and I drove west toward the Santa Cruz Mountains, which separate San Jose from the Pacific Ocean. These green hills are home to a number of wineries. We figured we would make the rounds and visit a few of them. However, we soon realized that none of the wineries stay open on Sunday evenings, so we would only have time for one stop. As it turned out, that stop was made at the Savannah Chanelle Vineyards, a small winery occupying a picturesque hillside near Saratoga.

We found the tasting room, where we were able to sample a variety of red and white wines. We struck up a conversation with a friendly young couple who lived in San Jose. The guy was originally from New York, so he identified with Sindy. The girl was originally from Orange County, California, so she identified with people I have seen on TV.

We enjoyed visiting, while sipping wine and eating crackers topped with a variety of gourmet mustards. Quite a change in class from the cheeseburger I ate at Sonic on the drive up! We even received some restaurant recommendations from our new friends, which were very helpful, as we had not succeeded in finding good rations near our hotel.

Once we had tried each of the wines available on the tasting tour, I decided on a Chardonnay, and purchased a bottle to have shipped home. I am not much of a wine drinker, but it seemed like the thing to do at a winery. Of course, nearly two months later, that bottle still sits on my kitchen counter. Oh well, I guess it's a souvenir, at least until a special, wine-drinking occasion presents itself.

By the time I had made my purchase and spent some time walking the grounds and admiring the views, it was time to head back to the city once again. Sindy and I ate dinner at the Sonoma Chicken Coop in downtown San Jose, at the recommendation of the local residents we had befriended, then headed back to the hotel to rest up. Tomorrow, we would make our first foray to San Francisco for the Home Run Derby.

To be continued...

Photos © Weston Johnson
Chardonnay grapes in vineyard near Saratoga, California.

Getting There May Not Be Half The Fun
by Capt. Jack Adair
Coon Rapids, MN

Many Bulletins ago, I mentioned my new-found family, mostly in eastern Canada. My sister, Donna, lives in Heathcote, just outside of Meaford, Ontario, and has been fighting cancer for several years. I decided I'd take a trip out there for a couple of weeks' visit. My Meaford-Heathcote trip was just great while I was in Heathcote. Have you heard the old saying, "Getting there is half the fun?" Don't believe it!

On the way there, as I approached Chicago, I found the lane I wanted so as I'd go around the bad traffic was all the way to the left. I was in the right-hand lane, 4 o'clock traffic, and no way to get into the proper lane. So I was on the Ryan expressway during rush-hour, eight miles per hour, in my little stick-shift truck with no air-conditioning, with only two of the four or five lanes open due to construction! Then it was fine until I crossed the border on 402 ... missed the turn-off for 21 and went about 25 or 30 miles beyond before I realized my error and could find a turn-off to get back.

After that, everything was fine. Until I tried to find Heathcote and couldn't find any road signs to tell me what road I was on. No Highway 13 or whatever, just "Road 6," or "Side Road 4," which wasn't on any map I had. But finally I found it, had a great time there and would do it again.

Coming back was a great trip. Except for the 32 miles from 21 to the border on 402. That took over three-and-one-half hours! Some tie-up at the border. Except for the rain from Chicago (correct lane this time, but still awfully slow) to Madison, Wisconsin, and the fact that the home-made cover for my pickup bed -- where my non-waterproof suitcase was carried -- leaked. It all went into the washer as soon as I got home.

OOOh, I just love to travel, don't you?

Oh, one more mishap. My travel mug is rather tall, and I have a stick shift, with the cup holder being directly below the shift lever, so when shifting into second or fourth, I bang my cup, sometimes causing me to miss the gear. So I packed my mug in the pocket of a bag I carry to hold books-on-tape I like to listen to while traveling. Well, somehow the old mug tipped over and leaked. The tapes were okay, but my camera, which was in the same pocket, got soaked, inside and out. I have no pictures of my trip.

Gotta run along, holiday weekend and off in the morning to visit the grandkids.

Capt. Jack

Celebrations & Observances
From the Files of
Hetty Hooper

This Week's Birthdays
September 12---Lindsay Dawn Hellevang
September 14---Lou Miller
September 15---Carolyn Miller Dake
September 15---Shari Miller Larson
Happy Birthday!

More September Birthdays
September 2---Patty Anderson
September 2---Vicki Anderson
September 2---Stanley Wm. Dake
September 3---Jacob Mendoza Dake
September 3---Eric Printz
September 3---Charles Quick
September 4---Wiley Nelson
September 4---Harvey Stucker
September 5---Lori Chap Ostendorf
September 5---Genelle Mogck
September 7---Brendan Aydelotte (8 years)

September 19---Nathanial Kurtis Seaman
September 21---Jessica Aydelotte
September 24---Wyatt Johnson
September 25---Keith Mason
September 26---Jaxon Dwight Hill (1 year)
September 28---Donald L. Anderson
September 30---Sheldon Swenson

September Anniversaries
September 2---Michael and Sarah Dake Steinhauer (5 years)
September 4---Ernie and Carolyn Miller Dake (36 years)
September 7---Tim and Colette Anderson Huseby (11 years)

September 18---Jay and Sandy Miller Smith (8 years)

September Special Days
September 3---Labor Day
September 23---First day of Autumn

Miss Hetty's Mailbox:

Jazmine Hill with pedal tractor pull trophy.

Dear Miss Hetty,

Jazmine went to the Mooreton Labor Day Pedal Tractor Pull today. This time she got third place in 4-year-old boys and girls. She was the top girl! She is going to the North Dakota state tractor pull in Valley City on Sept 15. It looked like so much fun Dad had to enter a race for older "kids." He got second in his heat.

Grandma Janie Anderson
Wahpeton, ND

Miss Hetty thinks her boss's niece is a real doll ... and sends congratulations to her.

Jazmine's father, Nathan Hill, took second place in his heat.

Keep Us Posted!

Please drop Miss Hetty a line and tell us who, and what, we've missed. And how about a report (photos welcome) of YOUR special celebration?

'Many Thankse

Miss Hetty


Good morning, Dorothy and staff!

I was trying to do some Saturday morning cleaning without interruption but as I vacuumed near the computer I thought ... wonder what The Bulletin has this week? And I stopped ... mistake, always worth a "sit a spell." I had to sit down and read some highlights of people's journeys and see the pictures ... and "wasted" a good 20 minutes ... but what fun I had!

Thanks, Weston, for such a good description of your journeys and to everyone else who takes time to share their lives. I enjoy getting to know all of you. If I see the picture enough, I'll soon connect names and faces of my friend Donna's family.

Thanks for another great Bulletin! Have a good week, all!

Barb Dewey
Ashby, MN

I sure look forward to The Bulletin every week; some very good events are being written about, and they are wonderful. I can just picture what happened.

Today would have been my mother's birthday; she would have been 93. Lenore Miller Pfingsten. But so thankful she is in a better place. Do miss visiting with her.

Also it is nice to remember Jeanette Miller, my aunt, Judy's mother. Judy would remember all the times our two families got together and how we had so much fun, and especially on New Year's Eve. Played until midnight then had oyster stew and lots of other goodies. Only night we got to stay up so late, but oh so much fun.

Also thought of the time I stayed at your house when your mom and dad had to go someplace for a few days and we ran out of milk. Darrel got the Cadillac out of the shed and I drove it to the country store. When we got back, Darrel backed it into the shed again. Don't know if Robert or Jeanette found out what we had done. At least we didn't put any dents in it. We drove slow. Brings the smiles when we think back on all our precious memories.

Thanks much.

Anita Pfingsten Weiland
Yankton, SD

I was surprised to see the new baby, Camryn -- the second Camryn that we know. The first is our great granddaughter in Minneapolis -- who is also in The Bulletin with her parents, Mindy (Kitto) and Dave Edmo.

It gave more memories seeing Bergit Swenson. Thank you for another great Bulletin!

Ruth Weiland Swanson Kitto
Apache Junction, AZ

Last Week's Bulletin Review JKL
by Betty Droel
MoundsView, MN

I just enjoy being able to come right to the computer to write an LTTE as soon as I turn over the last page or scroll to the end of the latest Bulletin on Saturday. A person is so impressed and enthused and has this "rush" of wanting to share it and comment on it.

Every single week it's the same way. Our Bulletin never ever gets ho hum, and we keep wondering what will be on the next page. Very unusual for something to hold our interest like it does.

Are those apples actually real? They are beautiful. I thought of a label as "sun-kissed" when I saw the beautiful blush where the sun would reach. It does look like this season, and I suppose next week will be about school on that notable first picture as summer wanes.

I don't blame Janie Anderson for wanting to stop in Alexandria to visit Don and Dorothy. I loved a few minutes that we had stopped there one time and keep wondering why we don't have some excuse to go again. It is such an accomplishment for Dorothy to carry on life in a wheelchair and never complain or describe her problems for any pity whatsoever. Thank goodness Don is right there to be such a help and helpmate.

Was interesting reading the Travelogue about the time in Nashville as we had been to many of those same places, and was inside that unbelievably fabulous motel they mentioned. Good thing we did so much traveling before Roy had a stroke.

The 105 degree weather down there in the southern states does not sound fun. I thought it was so interesting that Rick and Dwight got to see the ornamental iron works museum, being they had worked in that business. I told Roy we needed an ornamental iron handrail on our front steps now that we are getting old and feeble. He made the sturdy iron one on the back steps when he was working as a machinist, but those days are past.

I was just thrilled to see that picture of my friend Bergit Swenson -- also Sherry. I knew Bev and Kaye and Barb in their youth. The Bulletin certainly brings us in touch with new and old memories and friends.

Fun reading my sister's story about their trip to Montana and North Dakota to see Kenny's family. Five little boys have turned out to be five very fine men. I was so surprised to be reminded (as I must have heard it before) of Jeannie Davies having gotten married and having twins. I would have loved seeing a picture, but likely none was taken.

Thanks, Kimberly, for giving us a peek at your nice apartment building. Next time you can give us some inside pictures after you got those boxes unpacked.

Thank you, Doug, for presenting your new addition to your (ever-expanding) animal family: "Molly Macaw, an eight year-old Blue and Gold Macaw." What a beautiful bird, Molly Macaw. You'll have to be careful or you'll be hearing your conversations repeated. She will need lots of care, but will be lots of company, too. Does she have the liberty to fly around the house? We will be watching for her antics to be shared with us readers, Doug.

It's very satisfying to realize there still are areas where our United States flag is reverenced and respected as in the story by Donna Mae. Jayce is growing up, that's for sure. Nice he can have Snickers for a friend.

What a meaningful, beautiful, pink-tinged yellow rose in memory of Jeanette Miller. I have known the family since about 1960, so it was especially interesting to read the obituary story in The Bulletin.

Well, Larry, the continuation of your story on the sheep ranch was most interesting again. You do have a gift for keeping us in suspense as to what might happen next. It didn't say it was to be continued, but hopefully it will be.

Pretty interesting to walk along with Weston and Sindy on their tour of Monterey Bay all the way through their whole time there until time to head north to the city again. I was glad for such a vivid description of those famous places, seeing we will never be getting there ourselves. Years past, we did go to fisherman's wharf there somewhere and had clams, which were like chewing on rubber bands. I have no desire to try them again, even now. We have to wait way until next Saturday for the continuation. We hope Weston doesn't tire of the play by play account of his trip, as we love reading it.

Well, Miss Hetty certainly gets a variety of mail. Now, how many gossip columns would have updates, news stories and slide shows of rare Persian kittens from Hungary? I think that's a great idea that Jerrianne take the grandkitten triplets to the zoo at Budapest this year. However, she cannot be gone more than a day or so unless she does a Bulletin in advance. If Cheerio, Oreo and Tabasco ever get to be with Miss Kitty, THAT will be a video to watch.

Donna Mae Anderson Johnson, of all people that admits to not being caught up on The Bulletin reading. I hope your mother, the Editor, doesn't know about that. That Chuckles must have been very special surprise, seeing it was your girls and little brother Doug on it. You just never know what you'll see next when that Bulletin arrives in the inbox. I think I have sent in most of the pictures I would have to contribute already.

At last someone finally mentioned the likeness between Great Uncle Don and Levi -- thanks, Ruthy, for discussing it right there at Don and Cheri's table.

I knew right away that it was Jared in the CHUCKLES Foto-Funnies this week. Roy watched Jared grow up so he is one special boy as far as Roy is concerned. "I think I can" is actually so typical of Jared to take on any project and see it through.

The Quotation for the day is always a nice ending note. Live, love, care and speak kindly. That would eliminate a lot of problems.

Once again, I want to tell you how very much we enjoy The Bulletin, and we never take for granted all that goes into putting it together with such precise expertise of heartwarming stories and well placed pictures.

Roy and Betty Droel


Photo illustration © Virginia McCorkell & Douglas Anderson
Jeff Holman ... Hunter's daddy ... Susie's hubby ... Larry's nephew.

To search a name in Who's Who or Who's Where: click on the link to open the page, then use CONTROL F on a PC or COMMAND F on a Mac. To search for a second occurrence of the name, use CONTROL G on a PC or COMMAND G on a Mac. (This works on ANY web page with text, unless the text is converted to an image. Chances are, it works in your e-mail, too.) HINT: Search by first name only, as most entries list the family name once but do not repeat the last name for each family member. In Who's Where you can search on state or city names, too.

Quotation for the day: The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of their time each day. --M. Grundler

EDITOR'S POLICY: If you wish to subscribe to The Bulletin, simply send me a statement of that fact. If you wish to keep receiving it I hope you will contribute to one of the columns that are running in this family epistle (at least occasionally!). My e-mail address is

This Bulletin is copyright Dorothy M. Anderson; the contents are also copyrighted by the authors and photographers and used with their permission, and the contents are not to be used for any commercial purposes without the explicit consent of the creators.